Sign in to follow this  
whereami

Add custom regex support to client log filters

Been thinking about this for a while now, but I think it would be neat if players could use their own regex filters pasted into a file somewhere to color event messages, or even filter them out altogether.

I've always found that I was wishing certain event messages or parts of them, stood out a little more visually. This would give each player the ability to customize the effect to their own desire.

Also that I could simply choose not to receive certain event messages at all. Path of Insanity anyone? I've got nearly 10 years of feeling "strange and out of time" recorded on my HDD, the total sum of those lines is probably close to a gigabyte worth of text alone.

RegEx is not hard to set up a secure parsing module for, I'm not sure how well Java handles them specifically, but the implementation couldn't be much more difficult than the current in-client implementation.

Interested to hear what the community would think of this one.

EDIT: I would also like to see this work for the Combat tab as well. Friends/Skills tabs wouldn't really benefit much from having this functionality. Obviously this ability shouldn't be given to chat tabs because GM's have special colors they use, etc.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 1