Sign in to follow this  
AJBlack

Please give us back the old Fishing system in addition

4 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Perhaps a system like black desert onlines fishing? once you hook a fish you have a set time (3 minutes down to 1 minute or so with the afk fishing rod iirc) to hook the fish manually for the bonuses and faster fishing and stuff, and if you miss the timer it just catches the fish automatically at the end with no bonus.

Basically what I suggested elsewhere with the 'auto-fish'

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The old afk system won't be returning, afk skillgain is NOT something that is desireable

It's not twitch based mechanics, and doesnt require fast reactions, there's also net fishing and spear fishing with boosted skillgain. 

There's plenty of areas we can and will tweak, but this system is here to stay.

I can't think of any other skill that forces you to read the event log for prolonged periods of time to grind it.

I understand you could do the net fishing, but to my understanding, it's definitely no-where near as effective as a standard CoC fishing rod was before for skillgain.

And unless it's been changed, I think you only have a 3-5 second window to snag fish, which I suppose sort of makes sense if compared to IRL, but then again, are we really striving for accuracy, or enjoyment? :P 

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Niki said:

Honestly I'd say 15 seconds personally. Not everyone is fast, especially in a slow paced game like Wurm. Bit of a reason why I play it to begin with. I'm getting older and with all these distractions nowadays such as netflix, smart phones, tablet playing osrs mobile, real life, etc I find it harder to react within 6 seconds.

at least 20

8 minutes ago, tamat said:

at least 20

Yeah 

It's possible this could be tweaked for sure, will pass it along with tacklebox decay and better messages for skillcheck fails 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whereami said:

I'm sure it is! Rofl. If you could afk your way up to 100 everything in just a few days, why would you play the game at all? Would you ever actually play the game? The answer for the majority is a resounding "No".

Wrong. One, it wouldn't be a few days. Two, high-level skills are capability gates: once you have them, there is an immense new game waiting for you. I know this from practical, hands-on experience. :)

The devs' insistence on forcing players to repeatedly click through hours upon hours of grinding to get the capability to actually have fun is one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen.

Epic's system makes it tolerable enough for me keep playing, but what I see is that Wurm has captured the tiny percentage of the gaming population that will put up with Wurm's disrespect.

To really get more population, however, will require the game treating customers better.

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

Wrong. One, it wouldn't be a few days. Two, high-level skills are capability gates: once you have them, there is an immense new game waiting for you. I know this from practical, hands-on experience. :)

The devs' insistence on forcing players to repeatedly click through hours upon hours of grinding to get the capability to actually have fun is one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen.

Clearly that first part went way over your head pal. It's alright. Also why don't you play WU with 100 skills in everything as a Arch GM just for fun again?

I was buying your argument, up until;

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

Epic's system

? Judas Priest, I knew this was going somewhere...

Look bud if you wanna lament about your dead cluster and tell everyone why it was the greatest thing no-one cared about you're welcome to, but the only one you're fooling is yourself. If it was any good, people would be playing there.

Fact of the matter is, even born-Epic players have abandoned Epic because of the absolutely abysmal and intolerable state of the screwed up game mechanics over there. And the Epic-playerbase is mostly to blame for that, along with poor dev decisions.

You're seeing this right now with Chaos btw, where a number of long-term PvP players have recently sold up and quit altogether. And I'm not hearing anyone say "Hey we can't bash towers anymore, lets go try Chaos!"... Please.

I can agree with your last point; if CCAB did a better job of treating their customers correctly or holy hell maybe a bit of ADVERTISING we might be sitting in a different spot right now.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

It's possible this could be tweaked for sure, will pass it along with tacklebox decay and better messages for skillcheck fails 

Nets also take massive damage if you don't carry them around. I had a 22ql net crumble in one day, and my 90 ql one took 13 damage in my cart overnight. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whereami said:

Look bud if you wanna lament about your dead cluster and tell everyone why it was the greatest thing no-one cared about you're welcome to, but the only one you're fooling is yourself. If it was any good, people would be playing there.

Whatever Epic's faults, Wurm -needs- a place for players who check out Wurm and think, "that sounds interesting, but oh wait, I'm a decade behind".

That's the number one reason I chose to play on Epic in the first place: I wanted a chance to catch up on my own.

Is that a bad thing?

1 minute ago, Roccandil said:

"that sounds interesting, but oh wait, I'm a decade behind".

epic is like 7 years old isnt it, the absolute top accounts on epic aren't that far behind the absolute top freedom accounts, or they were before they all moved to freedom

you'd be suprised how low the average players skills are, people that sit down and grind every day are a minority, 99% of people just breed horses and look at their pretty deeds

• Like 2

Roccandil is a 75 body account now. Could I have done that on Freedom in a year?

probs not unless you played 12h a day grinding characteristics with the right diff like a madman, but overall body doesn't do anything, and characteristics don't really mean much unless you're in a 1v1 or something, don't need to be carrying 180kg to catch up

I realize Body is itself irrelevant, but it -is- a rough representation of the stats that count. The DR/damage and stamina are noticeable, even in normal activities. Body control less so, but I'm hoping I'm dodging and hitting more. :)

Of course, I have plenty of 90+ imping skills, both base and effective (nearly all of them, excepting a few like papyrusmaking and toymaking), and their effects are quite noticeable.

btw how spear fishing really looks? I am playing on 640x480, lowest graphics and i didnt see any fish, i was randomly hitting water to get something xD

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The old afk system won't be returning, afk skillgain is NOT something that is desireable

It's not twitch based mechanics, and doesnt require fast reactions, there's also net fishing and spear fishing with boosted skillgain. 

There's plenty of areas we can and will tweak, but this system is here to stay.

And this is the typical WO mind-set that eventually drove me to overcome my aversion to Steam and play WU a little over a year ago.  I still log in and play WO maybe a couple times a month just to check things out and look at my deed but as the old saying goes "It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."  

You talk about AFK skillgain as if gaining skill in fishing is going to give a player some sort of advantage in the game.  It's fishing, for crying out loud.  lol.  Big deal. Who in the world does that hurt?   And not everyone is actually AFK anyway.  As I said in another thread, I actually like the new system, and would use both (old and new) depending on my mood on any given day, but I resent that it's now the only system.   You (the collective 'you,' not the singular 'you' personally), talk on other subjects about how Wurm is about the old way and the journey and the slow pace all that happy horse shyte, and then ignore those who liked the old way on things you've decided you're going to completely change.  Most people I've spoken to were very excited about the new system and thought it would be an addition and enhancement to the old, but instead are gobsmacked to find that the old way is gone and it's no longer a leisure activity.

As for it not being twitch based, maybe not in the strict definition of the term, but imo it's worse.  In a twitch based game, at least there's action to keep your attention while you're "twitching."  lol.  This is staring at the floater or text window with absolutely nothing happening during the long timer just in case you have to "twitch."  Personally, I can only maintain that for the first few casts and then find that my attention starts wandering.  You know, things like read global chat, type in chat, glance over at the TV, grab a handful of popcorn, take my hand off the mouse for a few seconds to light a smoke, stare at the wall for a while for a change of scene, count the peanuts on the picture on the peanut can, or even move the camera around to look at anything else in the game besides my floater.  If the obligatory "twitch" is suddenly required during any of that, and if I'm lucky enough to notice then it's "Oh crap" and start clicking or scramble for the mouse if I foolishly took my hand off it for a second.  There's another old saying, something about that you can't maintain a high state of alertness and readiness for prolonged periods when absolutely nothing is happening, without losing your edge.

At the very least, since you've made it clear that you are going to be rigid about it, (again, the collective 'you'),  then allow a small amount of skill gain for the time watching like a cat at a mouse hole for the moment of "twitch," and give bonus skill gain if you do notice it and "twitch" in time and actually hook something.  That way at least people would feel they're accomplishing something, no matter how small, even if their attention does happen to wander for a second at the wrong time.  Also it wouldn't be a complete waste of sleep bonus. As it is, using sleep bonus for fishing is totally wasted.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 7

On 1/4/2019 at 9:41 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

you can set a wurmassistant notification for the fish nibbling line then just click whenever you get wa screaming at you if you really want to afk it

sure, after the pop up shows, you back to wurm you search where click, fish gone

This isn't going to happen,. We've stated many times we'll be bringing out tweaks to the existing system but we won't be bringing the old afk system back so there's no need to bump the thread. 

Hey, people! They don't won't to listen to their playerbase? Maybe they'll listen to our money.

We've been paying for premium and upkeep for years, and we're being blatantly ignored. So let's stop paying for premium for a month, two, as long as it takes to make them listen!

17 hours ago, Devean said:

Hey, people! They don't won't to listen to their playerbase? Maybe they'll listen to our money.

We've been paying for premium and upkeep for years, and we're being blatantly ignored. So let's stop paying for premium for a month, two, as long as it takes to make them listen!

This update was the final frustration for me.  After seeing what they did to fishing, I closed my account.

This change should've come with the reset of everyones fishing skill. And this is also a good proof, that sometimes active players, who develop the game, aren't the best ones to do the job. New fishing changed skilling up considerably, which someone who has 100 fishing(meaning Tich here, may she rest in peace) doesn't have to take into account. This is good system, when you don't have to worry about skill and just wanna sit and catch stuff from time to time.

• Like 1

Can't see the old and new system work together.