Sign in to follow this  
AJBlack

Please give us back the old Fishing system in addition

I'm honestly heartbroken about how the fishing system works now. I know some people love it, and I know some people hate it, and I am honestly impressed with what the devs (R.I.P. Tich) have achieved with it. However, for my part, I miss that one activity  that was so afk-able and simple in this game. I didn't get to do it much but it was relaxing and the new fishing system has not relaxed me a single bit. 

I'm proposing that we add the old fishing system in addition to the new one, perhaps as a new skill such as Angling, as an addition, and allowing players to fish in the way they prefer. 

• Like 4

Only way I could see both systems side by side is if the old (aka afk-able) system had double the difficulty or half the skill gain.. something detrimental.  No one would ever use the new system if they could just afk the skill once again.

2 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

No one would ever use the new system if they could just afk the skill once again.

Since when did we decided it was okay to make games less fun? If no one wants to use it, it should speak volumes as to how good the addition actually is. It's worth noting that I'm going to do exactly what the OP wants in WU with a mod.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Since when did we decided it was okay to make games less fun? If no one wants to use it, it should speak volumes as to how good the addition actually is. It's worth noting that I'm going to do exactly what the OP wants in WU with a mod.

If you seriously think that the old system which pretty much encouraged you to AFK it was "fun" then I have some bad news, friend

• Like 1

@joedobo

5 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Please don't take me the wrong way or be all defensive.  I have no stake either way.  I know they'll never bring back the old system in WO.. I just did fishing the new way to 50 and it was enough for me to stop there.  I never once "decided it was okay to make games less fun".  Don't forget the fact I didn't code or design the fishing system, I'm just commenting here.

I can see a WU mod being pretty popular if they don't give a server setting to use one system or the other in WU.  It's a good idea, gives people options :)

Edited by Nomadikhan

Yes +1 

With the current mechanics it's too time consuming (seriously) at 99.5 fishing to cap my fishing off to 100. I'm no good with twitch-type mechanics. I don't play games that require good reflexes for this reason. I'm terrible at FPS games.

I've mentioned in similar threads like this now that auto-fish should be reintroduced and so should the passive skillgain with the old system.

It's a mistake to gut mechanics without giving the community adequate warning. If we take a stroll down memory lane this has happened before with other grinds like botanizing it was good than you nerfed it to heck.

A lot of us, myself included expected the old fishing system to work with the new. Well I also expected the passive skillgain to be a thing also but it's clearly not.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

double the difficulty or half the skill gain.. something detrimental.

Wait what? So everyone who isn't already 100 fishing and with FSBs loaded with fish should have to do double the work..?

The new items and mechanics behind the 'modular' rods are great... if they were a bonus to the old system rather than a replacement. Improved catch rates / quality / speed for using all the extra stuff, without the change in 'twitch-reaction catch' mechanics and it would be a great update everyone loved.

Like how we get affinities with food... use the right lure/reel and get a bonus 1-20% depending on quality, over what otherwise would be the case. Improvements like that.

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 2

The old afk system won't be returning, afk skillgain is NOT something that is desireable

It's not twitch based mechanics, and doesnt require fast reactions, there's also net fishing and spear fishing with boosted skillgain. 

There's plenty of areas we can and will tweak, but this system is here to stay.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

The old afk system won't be returning, afk skillgain is NOT something that is desireable...

...net fishing and spear fishing with boosted skillgain.

Boosted compared to the old system? From other people's reports on here it seems to be much slower overall.

Afk skillgain is hugely desireable to many players...almost everything is afk to some degree, the whole game is based on timers and wait periods...players even get rewarded with a more afk experience with higher mind logic. It enabled people to fish while doing other things or playing other accounts, as can be seen with the huge number of priest alts with 90+ fishing.

I actually like most of the new system and idea behind it, it just has some very major drawbacks.

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kerry said:

Boosted compared to the old system? From other people's reports on here it seems to be much slower overall.

Afk skillgain is hugely desireable to many players...almost everything is afk to some degree, the whole game is based on timers and wait periods...players even get rewarded with a more afk experience with higher mind logic. It enabled people to fish while doing other things or playing other accounts, as can be seen with the huge number of priest alts with 90+ fishing.

I believe the fact that older priest accounts tend to have high fishing, is because of the long-thought belief that Soul Depth/Strength did something for a priests casting ability, or made them better in some way. (Other than being one of the only things they could actually do...)

Whilst this is true for Soul Strength only in the case of offensive spell-casting, the availability of the server code and players ability to assess it has quelled this rumor.

I haven't personally tried the new fishing system yet. Just isn't my type of skill. (I don't deem it to be useful, in virtually any fashion... Don't think I've ever once thought to myself "Man, I wish I had high Fishing...")

That said, I have been hard at work creating some nice rare fishing gear in the hopes that it might now be a skill I could tolerate :) The result of that experiment however is yet to be seen.

Let me address a very specific part of your post;

17 minutes ago, Kerry said:

Afk skillgain is hugely desireable to many players... almost everything is afk to some degree

I'm sure it is! Rofl. If you could afk your way up to 100 everything in just a few days, why would you play the game at all? Would you ever actually play the game? The answer for the majority is a resounding "No".

Generally speaking, the more involvement the better. The more required you are, to have your eyes glued to the screen, the better it is for the game itself. Maybe doesn't serve your interests, but it doesn't need to, that isn't what the mechanic is for.

For those that want to put in no effort but still receive all the rewards; Why don't you go play Wurm Unlimited, where you can instantly set all your skills to 100 without putting in any actual effort to get there? Oh, right. Cause it's boring as hell and generally unenjoyable.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, whereami said:

If you could afk your way up to 100 everything in just a few days, why would you play the game at all?

What game have you been playing? If that was the case everyone would have 100 fishing, given the mechanics largely remained unchanged for a decade now. I didn't say to make anything faster or easier than what we've had... just not to make it more awkward. (and slower going by the skillgain and fishing failures everyone posts about)

The priest thing was just an example, I know myself and others fished on an alt as it was something easy to do if your attention was required elsewhere.

Why make a skill more difficult and tedious to train as time progresses? That's the complete opposite approach. Then again, Wurm has always been a game of windows of opportunity, glad to see that hasn't changed. *That's 99% a joke*

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kerry said:

Because it's not passive, it requires success. 

We're well aware that the majority of complaints stem from the passive skillgain vs active skillgain, the fact is fishing wasnt something you did, it was something you did while doing other things.

Fishing becoming an active skill is not a bad thing, almost every other skill is active and is our intention. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Fishing becoming an active skill is not a bad thing, almost every other skill is active and is our intention. 

Right now I can go mining and thanks to the action queue, I can minimize Wurm and come back in 1 minute, while my character continues mining. You can even auto walk. I'm certain I could play this game just fine, with only having the window open 10% of the time...and that's being generous. Some activities, 1% of the time or less.

The whole entire game is afk, based on timers and the action queue.

Why not just remove the queue entirely? Then everything would be more 'active'. (I'm being facetious)

I'm not directing most of this at the fishing update, but rather your responses to what was said earlier. Obviously this update isn't that bad, but to say Wurm isn't afk and is an 'active' game is about as 100% wrong as can be. Case in point, I'm writing this whole response without missing anything as my actionbar is full.

Edited by Shrimpiie
Moderation Edit
  • Like 1

you can set a wurmassistant notification for the fish nibbling line then just click whenever you get wa screaming at you if you really want to afk it

• Like 2

I'm not sure how I can make it much easier for you but I can try I guess. Use words like "Poof" or... "Autonomously Work" ..

You play a videogame because you want something to do, right?

So why then, would a videogame developer want you to spend a majority of your time doing something else?

It just doesn't make sense to me at all. Games are supposed to be engrossing, it doesn't seem like a good idea for a game to be boring enough that once you start playing, you're immediately looking for something else to do.

3 minutes ago, whereami said:

You play a videogame because you want something to do, right?

So why then, would a videogame developer want you to spend a majority of your time doing something else?

I don't know, but Wurm is a click and wait type game, outside exploration and PvP.

It's getting off-topic, but I don't see how you can deny Wurm only requires about 1-5% attention - something I like about it.

Net fishing works like that and is the closest to the afk system 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Net fishing works like that and is the closest to the afk system 

The skillgain needs improvements then. Also deep water doesn't even grant skill. It's extremely finicky.

edit: increase the net size, allow 10 fish at least before clearing.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you can set a wurmassistant notification for the fish nibbling line then just click whenever you get wa screaming at you if you really want to afk it

That's kind of meta-gamy don't you think? Why not just increase the reaction time before the fish goes away. Spells like Light token, light of fo also give you a onscreen warning. Something that could be added possibly.

[12:26:10] You feel something nibble on the line.

[12:26:16] The nibbling at the end of your line stops.

Reaction time is 6 seconds or so it seems, how long would be appropriate? 

Onscreen messages are possible too 

41 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Or just make it so if you click, it reels it in. Don't click within 5-10 seconds? Gets reeled in anyway at the old rates.

Paying attention, you'll catch more fish per hour and get more skillgain as reward for being active. Not paying attention? No problem, just a bit slower.

'Fun' if you want, afk if you want - choice is up to the player.

I don't see the harm in that, everyone gets what they want from the update and all issues are solved. (At least as far as afk/active is concerned)

Want to use the new baits, lines, floats? Great, even more skillgain and catch success. Don't? Ok, no bonus but no loss either.

Everyone benefits again.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Niki said:

That's kind of meta-gamy don't you think?

thats a fairly accurate description of wurmassistant yes

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

If there isn't (WU demands the new system!!!!  Yarr! ), a splashing sound would be a great cue.  Sometimes one wants to watch South Park while doing stuff like fishing, mining, spamming planks.  Not AFK per se, more like half-attention.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Honestly I'd say 15 seconds personally. Not everyone is fast, especially in a slow paced game like Wurm. Bit of a reason why I play it to begin with. I'm getting older and with all these distractions nowadays such as netflix, smart phones, tablet playing osrs mobile, real life, etc I find it harder to react within 6 seconds.

• Like 1

Perhaps a system like black desert onlines fishing? once you hook a fish you have a set time (3 minutes down to 1 minute or so with the afk fishing rod iirc) to hook the fish manually for the bonuses and faster fishing and stuff, and if you miss the timer it just catches the fish automatically at the end with no bonus.

• Like 4