Sign in to follow this  
Talon_Draconis

Would like a free client

Hi

I would be great if I could get a free client for my friends

On thing that stops my friends from playing my server is that they have to buy the whole game from steam

It would be nice I the unlimited client was free so they can play on my server without spending $30 bucks

4 minutes ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Hi

On thing that stops my friends from playing my server is that they have to buy the whole game from steam

It would be nice I the unlimited client was free so they can play on my server without spending $30 bucks

You can get Wurm Unlimited very cheap already.

25 minutes ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Hi

Wurm Online is free to play if you all want to try playing together. (If you like it you can then buy WU knowing you'll enjoy it or get premium on WO)

2 minutes ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Maybe there would be more players if there were a free client

there'd also be 0 income, and development costs money.

if you want to play for free wurm online offers free gameplay, you're just limited in skills.

Edit: Nevermind, this is clearly in the Wurm Unlimited forum. My fault. 

Edited by Beanbag

As with any steam game anyone playing it will need a copy of the game. Wurm Unlimited has gone on sale many times in the past, as well as being included in a Humble Bundle sale, if people are eager to check it out but cannot afford the game full price, waiting for a sale is the best option for them. 

If you are wanting them to play for free, I'd suggest playing WO instead of WU, as they can play with limited skills for free, and you could own the deed and cover upkeep of it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

As with any steam game anyone playing it will need a copy of the game. Wurm Unlimited has gone on sale many times in the past, as well as being included in a Humble Bundle sale, if people are eager to check it out but cannot afford the game full price, waiting for a sale is the best option for them. 

If you are wanting them to play for free, I'd suggest playing WO instead of WU, as they can play with limited skills for free, and you could own the deed and cover upkeep of it 

Yup suggested that option to my friends...try the online vers to see if they like the game.

But would be nice if you bought WU that they would give you a distributed client so people can play your server without having to buy the game.

It would also increase the player base for ultimate

1 hour ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Yup suggested that option to my friends...try the online vers to see if they like the game.

But would be nice if you bought WU that they would give you a distributed client so people can play your server without having to buy the game.

If you log in, then open Task Manager Details tab and end first SteamService.exe, then Steam.exe, your friend can then log in to your Steam account and play at the same time. It's the same way many people log in alts - basically, your friend would be an alt of your toon.  The only catches are that they would have to log in with your Steam password, and you would be personally responsible for anything they did wrong.

But the game is cheap enough that it is much better to just have separate Steam accounts.  I can't see any reason why they'd ever give the game away for free, as it would be unfair to the thousands of people who already bought multiple copies for friends and family.

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

I think you're mistaking the game model. 

We made our sales off copies of the game, the tools to create a server come along with it but are considered bundled in for free. 

I know you've hosted private servers of mmo's in the past but you're mistaking that model of a rather grey/black area (being against their ToS and liable to legal action) with ours run through steam with DRM and built around players hosting their own versions. 

Other private server games like Ark run the same. 

• Like 1

Pay for the server I agree but make the client free to increase the player base :)

Wurm is great game but if nobody plays it or even heard of it.

I came across wurm years ago but was not willing to try it because I was busy with other games and the sub model for the online game..and 40 buck cad for unlimited i did not try it.

Said looks interesting but not worth trying it.

When I seen it on sale decided to give it try found the server easy to set up but found the player base very small.

Tried to get my friends to try it but even at 10 bucks they are not willing to buy it cheap bastards :P

If the client were free they would be more inclined to try my private server.

I would increase the player base and demand for servers

Right now there are about 300 players average 500 peak

I don't know what the online numbers are

Also I hate steam. :P

Paying for a server have nothing to do with buying a full game. By paying a server just the gamehoster get money that has no use for codeclub.

I have 10 differents gameservers (like arma3 7d2d ark and so on) where also players have to buy the game if they like to play at my servers.

If wurm unlimited would be completely free, you will never get awesome updates for free, and we dont like to pay for each update - not server owners and not the players.

Edited by Eject
  • Like 1

I don't think you understand how the very basic fundamentals of business works.

Edited by Budzilla
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Pay for the server I agree but make the client free to increase the player base :)

How would this in turn generate revenue? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

How would this in turn generate revenue? 

Simple if you want to run a server YOU buy  the Wurm unlimited package.

Maybe even provide a server rental like connan exiles

If you just want to play on a server you down load a free client like the online client but able to see and connect to private severs

This will increase the player base and also create a demand for severs.

Right now a player base of 200-500 players is not enough to  support the 20-30 servers I see online since at least 1/2 of them are on 1-2 servers all the other servers have 1 or 2 players

Edited by Talon_Draconis

3 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Simple if you want to run a server YOU buy  the Wurm unlimited package.

Maybe even provide a server rental like connan exiles

If you just want to play on a server you down load a free client like the online client but able to see and connect to private severs

This will increase the player base and also create a demand for severs.

Right now a player base of 200-500 players is not enough to  support the 20-30 servers I see online since at least 1/2 of them are on 1-2 servers all the other servers have 1 or 2 players

You can already get WU really cheap. If you don't get the hint then I can't help you.

Still what would 500 players playing for free help WU. It is no problem for one server cluster to handle 500 players. So in theory it is possible that 500 players is only one sold server package.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, Talon_Draconis said:

I personally play on quite a few servers, and not one of them has only 1 or 2 players. I think your information is incorrect. 

But even if it wasn't, any server that can't attract players will naturally fizzle out, so what's the problem?

The natural solution to servers being set up in ways that players aren't drawn to can't be that the developers give it away for free.

If you want your friends to play without paying, let them use your Steam account as alts, as I described above. We don't need a global solution for a personal issue.

Edited by Batta

if 30 is too much for you to buy a game then i think you have more problems than just buying WU. they dont even charge a full 60 for it.

• Like 1

Also make my internet connection, my gas bill, water bill, electric bill and such free too.

kthx

• Like 3

On 1/4/2019 at 5:04 PM, Talon_Draconis said:

Hey give me free stuff because I don't wanna pay for your product! It's good for the game I swear!

On 1/5/2019 at 1:19 PM, Talon_Draconis said:

What on earth are bunch of players playing for free on someone private server gonna help anyone? It's not gonna help Online version, it's not gonna make money for the company if one man can buy right to host server and the rest is free.. I'm afraid you're not thinking this right.

What you buy when you buy WU is the client, the server is for free.

Edited by Cecci
included in package

On 1/5/2019 at 4:19 AM, Talon_Draconis said:

When I seen it on sale decided to give it try found the server easy to set up but found the player base very small.

I've never found the player base too small.  If you make a server that people like, then they play there. If they don't like your server, they don't play.  All of my servers have had at least 200 unique Steam IDs checking it out, which is more than enough.

Edited by Batta