Sign in to follow this  
Talon_Draconis

Nighthome online

Hi

Just started a Wurm server and recruiting players.

I had alot of experience running  a wow server for over 10 years and still going

I never remove accounts and maintain the server permanently as long as I can find a system capable if ruining it

I only roll back the host if it becomes unstable or some catastrophic error occurs and back up at least once every 24 hrs and keep at least 90 days.

I give gm powers only to trusted knowledgeable people who prove their ability and reliability so don't ask

If you want to join my server email me darkbird1000@hotmail.com for password.     

Edited by Talon_Draconis
autocorect chose the wrong word

59 minutes ago, Talon_Draconis said:

I had alot of experience ruining a wow server for over 10 years and still going

Hilarious Typo, haha.

Might want to fix that, if you want to attract any players ;)

• Like 3

Why do we have to email you for the password? Why even password it in the first place? Nobody is going to play here if we have to do that. 

Well I password the server because that way I can control who joins my server

I know there is very small server base and emailing for a password might seem a little bit of a hassle but lets me make sure that my players are truly interested in playing and contributing to my server and allows a means of contacting me 

I do like to try out other people's servers, but I would never join one without knowing:

PvE or PvP? ("Mixed" how? )

Epic or not?

Adventure or Creative?

skill gain rate and timer rate?

number of creatures?

% aggressive mobs?

harder mobs?

which mods are used?

priest restrictions?

crop rot?

That's the bare minimum I'd need to know to even log in.  Other things that would be useful to know:

custom map?

time between crop ticks?

safe spawn area?

ways to make money?

website?

forum?

Discord?

rules particular to this server, or free-for-all no rules?

GM active or rarely there?

GMs help players, and if so, just their friends or everyone?

GM making it too easy for veteran players, but best for newbies?

The password isn't a problem for me, but giving my email address to a complete stranger might be. 

I hope you take this the way it was meant.  Just trying to help you out a bit.  It's nice to see new servers start up.

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Well I password the server because that way I can control who joins my server

I know there is very small server base and emailing for a password might seem a little bit of a hassle but lets me make sure that my players are truly interested in playing and contributing to my server and allows a means of contacting me 

Then you will have 0 people playing on this server. I was tempted to try it out because i'm always interested in a new server, but because of this, i'll skip. If you want people to contact you, then make a discord server and put the links here and into the wurm chat as well so people see it on login. You can also link the ingame chat channels to discord.

A lot of people who view the server browser or play WU don't even come to this website and will definietly not email someone for a password. The above post also explains it nicely, people might have a problem with giving out their emails to strangers. 

Edited by atazs

I've had password-protected servers serveral times, and we definitely got enough people applying to join. As long as they know what the server is about, and it suits them, they will not be daunted by a password.  In fact, it definitely does help to keep the trollers out.  ?

If there was another way to get the password, such as chatting with you in Discord @Talon_Draconis, I don't think this will be a problem.  

Edited by Batta

Simple It's a default server until I see what my players want and interested in

I wont put all sorts of crazy mods etc that I will have to reset in few weeks...this is long term project like my wow server

I might add other maps etc but the main sever will be using the base maps I will use server travel to add new maps if people want it.

As far as mods and other features I will be very careful and see it they are useful and won't destroy the balance of the game

I also believe in free PVP but with consequences and fits in with RP

8 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Simple It's a default server until I see what my players want and interested in

I wont put all sorts of crazy mods etc that I will have to reset in few weeks...this is long term project like my wow server

I might add other maps etc but the main sever will be using the base maps I will use server travel to add new maps if people want it.

As far as mods and other features I will be very careful and see it they are useful and won't destroy the balance of the game

I also believe in free PVP but with consequences and fits in with RP

So it is a vanilla PvP server right now, if I understand correctly?  

I think that the type of player who would be drawn to vanilla PvP is 100% different from those you'll get with mods.  

You'll probably get a lot less trouble with players if you just choose the mods you like, then be willing to consider adding extras if players really want them.

As a player, I'd really hate it if I set myself up for one thing, then had to keep adapting to changes all the time.  It's much nicer to join a server that knows what it wants to be when it grows up.  ?

Anyway, I'm glad you gave more information because now I know enough to know I wouldn't enjoy playing there. But I do wish you all the best!

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Batta said:

So it is a vanilla PvP server right now, if I understand correctly?  

I think that the type of player who would be drawn to vanilla PvP is 100% different from those you'll get with mods.  

You'll probably get a lot less trouble with players if you just choose the mods you like, then be willing to consider adding extras if players really want them.

As a player, I'd really hate it if I set myself up for one thing, then had to keep adapting to changes all the time.  It's much nicer to join a server that knows what it wants to be when it grows up.  ?

Anyway, I'm glad you gave more information because now I know enough to know I wouldn't enjoy playing there. But I do wish you all the best!

Ok thanks

I learning the worm system what works and what doesn't .

When I started my WOW server it was just a map with wow characters as it developed into wotkl  just before cata  ruined the game....now is 99.9% functional

I hope my wurm game will develop the same way....I will start with vanilla and add features over time that players make the server fun.

But I will not add anything that is not thoroughly tested and does not fit with the original concept of the game world  

I also had over 40 years of experience running a DnD campaign so I know how to develop a world with adventure and story.

I feel the wurm system has great  potential to develop a great character driven world I have 10 people interested   but not ready to commit the time yet :P

Edited by Talon_Draconis

Right now my server is blank slate

It's totally vanilla and default what is will develop into I honestly don't know because I just learning the wurm system and wurm has so much potenail

What I want if I get enough players is vibrant living world with politics and diplomacy between player groups with living economy and trade

Some pvp but with consequences.

Not just people raiding each other for raiding sake like most survival games

A world with Kings, adventurers ,merchants and bandits a where you can be unique

I feel wurm might have the potential to this

But this is long term project like my wow server will be online as long as there is system that can run it..

I am starting it on my pc but as it scales up I have friend who owns a server farm and will migrate there .

No offense but unless you are offering something unique, there are already dozens of servers offering the exact same thing but with more of a backing.

3 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Right now my server is blank slate

It's totally vanilla and default what is will develop into I honestly don't know because I just learning the wurm system and wurm has so much potenail

What I want if I get enough players is vibrant living world with politics and diplomacy between player groups with living economy and trade

If you are not familiar with the mods, I suggest you try out a few servers and see what works there, and get a chance to see a good mix of mods in action.  I think most of us have already played on servers that weren't fully formed, and it never works out very well for the players.  The worst thing, being a player on somebody else's server, is if the GM doesn't have a plan or keeps changing things.  It is much better if you just figure out what you like, and do that. Then players who like the same thing will find you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batta said:

If you are not familiar with the mods, I suggest you try out a few servers and see what works there, and get a chance to see a good mix of mods in action.  I think most of us have already played on servers that weren't fully formed, and it never works out very well for the players.  The worst thing, being a player on somebody else's server, is if the GM doesn't have a plan or keeps changing things.  It is much better if you just figure out what you like, and do that. Then players who like the same thing will find you.

I tend to think the opposite in my 40 yrs experience as gm.

I set a general very vague story to start then I develop what the players want while keeping the background story line going toward it's goal

I will not radically change the base server but I will add things to aid what the player is doing.

My hope is the players become part of the world effect and build stories that others can take part in

I will provide infrastructure that players can't provide for themselves but hoping I wont have to do much.

My main problem I see is small player base spread over many servers

What will be unique about my server is that whatever work you do will not be erased by sever ending or restarting except if it's a game breaking exploit. 

Expect it to be very long term project.

My DnD campaign ran over 30 yrs and 1000 game years.

My wow server replaced my dnd game

And now I hope this wurm game to continue that .

I will add things to make the server living world but I might add maps as travel server but wont erase this server and only mods to add the pliability not change the game.

I hate playing on other servers because they end or the owner gets board

And official severs cost money and sometimes change the game so much it's different game eg WOW and cataclysm  and linage 2

If you join my server you will always have place to play the game as it was meant to be played in law as well as spirit

I don't commit to this lightly I am under the obligation to other people who invest their time and money and my enjoyment comes from seeing them having fun,

4 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

I tend to think the opposite in my 40 yrs experience as gm.

Okie doke, then.  I guess that's all the input I can think of to help you out, thinking from a potential player's perspective rather than a GMs.  Good luck in your venture.

6 hours ago, Batta said:

Okie doke, then.  I guess that's all the input I can think of to help you out, thinking from a potential player's perspective rather than a GMs.  Good luck in your venture.

Thanks hope you find a server that meets your needs :)

10 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Thanks hope you find a server that meets your needs :)

I have my own server, and I also play on other people's just for fun.

Have 3 players signed up considering the base is doing ok...but going to take a long time before I have viable community

Had some fun meeting new people hope to get more to try the server

I also took off the password in hope to entice people to try seems to much effort to send a email to request the password :P

27 minutes ago, Talon_Draconis said:

seems to much effort to send a email to request the password :P

I think that insulting people who didn't want to give you their personal information might be a bad idea.

A few of us put time and thought into trying to help you out, and I'm sure I've been nothing but respectful toward you even though what you're doing would never work for me, or for any of the players I know.  I'd like you to show the same respect back, with none of this passive-aggressive sniping.

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

Who said I was insulting people just comment on general attitude 

Sending a email to request a password is a lot less invasive than what a wow server  asks for.

I just wonder how much effort a person will put into the server if they wont even send a email :P

That said the player base is so small and the competition to start a sever you can't afford to insult or reject anybody who will try your server.

BTW had 3 people sign in yesterday so it's good start considering the player base hope to get few more people!

17 hours ago, Batta said:

I think that insulting people who didn't want to give you their personal information might be a bad idea.

A few of us put time and thought into trying to help you out, and I'm sure I've been nothing but respectful toward you even though what you're doing would never work for me, or for any of the players I know.  I'd like you to show the same respect back, with none of this passive-aggressive sniping.

6 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

I just wonder how much effort a person will put into the server if they wont even send a email :P

It's not about how much effort someone is willing to put in.  We all get a lot of requests for personal information from strangers, and it's never a good idea to give it out.

A player might be exactly what you're looking for, but be unwilling to give you personal information beyond the mass of info a GM/server owner already gets.

It's bad enough that sometimes you get spammed by GMs just because they know your Steam ID, sending you ads for other things they're into.

I think there's nothing wrong with having a password, and I totally get your reasons for it. 

But asking strangers for personal information will put a lot of good people off, ones who you might have really enjoyed having on your server.

That's all I was trying to say. 

This has nothing to do with amount of effort people are willing to put out.

28 minutes ago, Batta said:

It's not about how much effort someone is willing to put in.  We all get a lot of requests for personal information from strangers, and it's never a good idea to give it out.

A player might be exactly what you're looking for, but be unwilling to give you personal information beyond the mass of info a GM/server owner already gets.

It's bad enough that sometimes you get spammed by GMs just because they know your Steam ID, sending you ads for other things they're into.

I think there's nothing wrong with having a password, and I totally get your reasons for it. 

But asking strangers for personal information will put a lot of good people off, ones who you might have really enjoyed having on your server.

That's all I was trying to say. 

This has nothing to do with amount of effort people are willing to put out.

Agreed...I did remove the password although I would like my players email just for contact info to make communication easier and to know  who is on my server :P

BTW we are community of 4 not many for village yet but at lest its something... people haven't settled into trades yet but I am sort of tending tword  smithing

Today built a cart

Found a source of iron been prospecting for one for 4 game weeks so far

Will be setting up a blacksmith shop in the next few sessions

Wonderful thing is even with just 4 people we are starting to develop into a community

4 people on Ark or Conan would be gearing up for battle killing and Raiding each other.

Because the skills in this game encourage people to work together there is so much potential here :)

5 hours ago, Talon_Draconis said:

Wonderful thing is even with just 4 people we are starting to develop into a community

4 people on Ark or Conan would be gearing up for battle killing and Raiding each other.

Because the skills in this game encourage people to work together there is so much potential here :)

I'm just wondering why you chose PvP if you don't want players making plans to kill each other?

Serious question, not being a jerk.

• Like 1