Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Allow the player to add custom names to items.

Taking a discussion from this topic about the ability to let player's make their mark on items they love.

So there is some mild controversy over named items in Wurm. They hold a lot of prestige and have absurd value. Most of these items were created by Enki & friends and never made by a player. It devalues player crafting and makes a lot of 'normal' players feel left out. Generally staff are the only ones who have them unless you're lucky and win a item from a GM . I suggest that you allow the player to craft at a high skill anywhere from 90-95 respectfully. Blacksmithing, weaponsmithing, carpentry, fine carpentry etc crafters should be able to mark items with some text. As @Raurossuggested in the other topic they should use high end materials like moon metal, rift materials to make something like a ornate kit which can be used on said item to give it a name. This shouldn't work like runes, the attach rate is 100% if you have the correct skill check to be decided by the developers but I think 95 skill is fair. This would put fire back into the economy allowing crafters to feel useful again. Which is a much needed thing in this game currently!

Unfortunately I've never been graced by items like this so I can't show you an example. Hopefully someone post's a example.

Thank you for reading.

I've gotten one of these and since you asked for a screenshot.

oxliesC.jpg

The item is made by a player and bought by me then renamed after a 1v1 between me and Enki, a one of a kind trinket that I would never sell / Use for personal profit.

These things exists in small quantities troughout the game and can be concidered lore items of sorts, sadly your idea will not only do what you want it to do but also devalue the history of these items and that's why this is a -1 to me.

3 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

oxliesC.jpg

The item is made by a player and bought by me then renamed after a 1v1 between me and Enki, a one of a kind trinket that I would never sell / Use for personal profit.

These things exists in small quantities troughout the game and can be concidered lore items of sorts, sadly your idea will not only do what you want it to do but also devalue the history of these items and that's why this is a -1 to me.

You may not Snoo but others do and they want like 10 gold for a mask for example. Gifts shouldn't be sold in my opinion this puts a stop to the greed. Enki signature items are still prestigious enough don't you think?

*snip* Changed my mind on a few things.

Edited by Ferriss

3 minutes ago, Ferriss said:

One another note - Having such items be easily craftable as Niki suggests with moon metals etc, would be a shame.

This seems more like something along the lines of a mechanic that could be tied to the new Journal system, to replace the tomes/dragon eggs received from the personal goals system. Each player could work through their set of journal tasks and at the end receive something like a strange bone that allows them to rename an item of their choosing. That would be a difficult, rewarding, personal journey, resulting in the ability to create a unique item. (This could reset, and every month or so, a player could get a new set of tasks.)

It's just a example, they should be very hard to make. I disagree with the ornate kits being dropped from uniques/rifts I really think it should be craftable.

Edited by Niki

3 minutes ago, Niki said:

You may not Snoo but others do and they want like 10 gold for a mask for example. Gifts shouldn't be sold in my opinion this puts a stop to the greed. Enki signature items are still prestigious enough don't you think?

The 10 gold for a mask is because she spent about that much on the fantastic bone and the mask itself before the archaeology masks were a thing, not just because it's renamed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

oxliesC.jpg

I agree with Snoo, keep unique items unique!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Joelle said:

The 10 gold for a mask is because she spent about that much on the fantastic bone and the mask itself before the archaeology masks were a thing, not just because it's renamed.

I sold the mask actually for 3 gold, it's funny how shadow mask became a archaeology item and 'the staff' forgot to add the rest of the challenge items. I am glad I got rid of it when I did cause I predicted it.

Edited by Niki

4 minutes ago, Niki said:

You may not Snoo but others do and they want like 10 gold for a mask for example. 

It wasn't sold afaik so thats an asking price not a value, they spent around 10g on a mask and a fantastic bone and the rename doesn't add value???

Reminds me of the guy wanting 15s for an enki sig pick, nobody bought it, does that mean its worth 15s?

3 minutes ago, Joelle said:

Exactly. I stand by my opinion, unique items should stay unique. They don't add any benefit to the wielder except "cool" status (which may be a big deal to some)

But there will be more events and more unique stuff happening, I just don't like to devalue the lore of these items from the game.

Edited by Sn00

3 minutes ago, Niki said:

None of the staff items have been sold, to my knowledge, other than Summer Hats, which, although unique in themselves, are not re-named items.

The mask that you saw for sale came from someone who used a fantastic bone on it, and it wasn't for 10g.

While I do agree with you, to some extent, that there seem to be a lot of staff items lately, perhaps non-evenly distributed among members of staff in comparison to work versus reward, I do disagree with the fact that they should become more plentiful and easier to obtain.

FFIW, 90-95 is not high enough of a skill to warrant it either. I've been toying with the idea of 100-skill accounts having the ability to imp traditionally non-improvable items, but even that might be over-the-top.

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

It wasn't sold afaik so thats an asking price not a value, they spent around 10g on a mask and a fantastic bone and the rename doesn't add value???

No they didn't.

1 minute ago, Xallo said:

While I do agree with you, to some extent, that there seem to be a lot of staff items lately, perhaps non-evenly distributed among members of staff in comparison to work versus reward, I do disagree with the fact that they should become more plentiful and easier to obtain.

FFIW, 90-95 is not high enough of a skill to warrant it either. I've been toying with the idea of 100-skill accounts having the ability to imp traditionally non-improvable items, but even that might be over-the-top.

100 is fine also it's up to the developers, I would love for a end game craft that it's insane to make. I still think it should be player crafted. Too many items drop from other sources, make crafting great again!

11 minutes ago, Niki said:

I sold the mask actually for 3 gold, it's funny how shadow mask became a archaeology item and 'you' forgot to add the rest of the challenge items. I am glad I got rid of it when I did cause I predicted it.

So if you sold the mask for 3 gold and she bought the bone for 7 gold, and she tried selling the mask with a 1 gold start bid (which she didn't even sell, because I saw her toon with the mask on just 2 days ago) how is this a profit on a renamed item, and what are you trying to argue?

I'm also not a dev, so I don't quite understand your "you" quotes there. If you want the rest of the challenge items added, please, make a suggestion.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Joelle said:

If you want the rest of the challenge items added, please, make a suggestion.

Please don't make fun of me..

2 minutes ago, Niki said:

Please don't make fun of me..

I was being sincere.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

oxliesC.jpg

When you put it this way, well i have to agree. I wouldn't like such a treasure to lost it's value and meaning. As slowly pretty much everything what once were unique and valuable, becomes so common and meaningless, let's keep those things the way they are. 
And yet i state, we need MORE unique items not possible to get by everyone. First i was tihnking that ability for renaqming items would be cool, but i didn't know about items like this. It's a real treasure your sword, dang I wish i could see it myself!

• Like 2

If you want the rest of the challenge items added, please, make a suggestion.

Please no...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

When you put it this way, well i have to agree. I wouldn't like such a treasure to lost it's value and meaning. As slowly pretty much everything what once were unique and valuable, becomes so common and meaningless, let's keep those things the way they are. 
And yet i state, we need MORE unique items not possible to get by everyone. First i was tihnking that ability for renaqming items would be cool, but i didn't know about items like this. It's a real treasure your sword, dang I wish i could see it myself!

Not to derail the thread, just wanted to say thank you and just shoot me a message in game, I'll even let you try it!

+1 so i can name my threads of string "please lock"

• Like 12

Just now, MrGARY said:

your a gm why dont you just spawn yourself fantastic renamed strings

1 minute ago, MrGARY said:

Might as well lock it then gary, all you do is bully me.

-1   i dont have any special named items, but im sure if i spent alota time on wurm, learned the ropes and applied to be a assistant or moderator, then i would treasure my items as a reminder what it took to get them. im sure i would be dumb and want a hammer called thor or a sword called Excalibur and watch them rot of a table in my house...

unique mean unique

probably almost every named by gm item has his own history

its kind of blessing

YtOa85I.png

Edited by Votip
  • Like 3