Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

Beverage overhaul

Hello everyone,

As a long term player, I've struggled on and off to find a skill that has really sucked me into the game. After the cooking update, like many others, my group of friends were brought back into the game with this major change. And once I found out stills existed, I just knew I had to use them. Beverages was oddly fun to experiment with, creating new drinks, using new tools and learning a system without much documentation at all. With the help of a friend of mine, even creating a calculator to match the drink to an affinity and documenting timer length based on quality.

However, our optimism of a new market being made for alcohol was quickly shattered once we found out that only moonshine with every possible ingredient gave a timer worth selling.

And so, this document was created. Within, you will find changes I believe will make the skill more engaging, rewarding and interesting. And maybe even opening the door for ice sculptures, the item we all want but never knew we wanted. Any and all feedback is appreciated, as I really have tried to think of every possible way of making the system a lot better. A massive thank you also to Fabricant and Demonix for helping me a lot in the early and later stages of this document and encouraging me along.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D8_xfBbX_spNwIeljN7m4Ljt78GzdcHJBd_7WH3KMI8/edit?usp=sharing

And for those maybe not wanting to read the full document, I will give a very very very short summary

• Allowing the creation of ice and coffee
  • Creating a cocktail set to mix drinks
  • New recipes using these tools

And creating an item type that can be used to give us ice sculptures...

• Like 16

+1 for coffee and Moscow Mules.

I really wouldn't want to see Wurm add more modern drinks (just my opinion), but combining drinks/juices to make stronger (new, Wurmian) ones, or fixing timers for existing drinks would be fantastic. Also, tea! We have it, let's make it useful. I know people have a strong cultural attachment to coffee, but that's up to the devs if they want to/can add another herb. I have no feelings on coffee, but hey, why not?

• Like 4

+1 

We have the items already in game to make more variety of drinks. It would be interesting to see if we could get recipes named after us like with the food. 

- consider replacing the “one of these things are not like the others” endurance sandwich with a tasty beverage.  

I know I prefer my sandwiches in the middle of a 5 mile run, but wurmade might work too.  

Create a viable market for flasks!

psssss.

perhaps coffee could restore exhausted fatigue.  At least let our beverage makers earn a coin off the botters.  :)

Edited by Arishok
Pses
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NeeNee said:

I really wouldn't want to see Wurm add more modern drinks (just my opinion), but combining drinks/juices to make stronger (new, Wurmian) ones, or fixing timers for existing drinks would be fantastic. Also, tea! We have it, let's make it useful. I know people have a strong cultural attachment to coffee, but that's up to the devs if they want to/can add another herb. I have no feelings on coffee, but hey, why not?

Tea is essentially the cooked meat of beverages, it's too simple and basic to be made more worthwhile than it already is. As far as modern drinks go, honestly, nothing in this game is truly time accurate anyway, the beverages having those names doesn't exactly matter much anyway. We could have fun with the names, but I feel like if we just changed the names and kept the recipes it'd be a bit more weird than having them in the game anyway.

57 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Cross-referencing another post I made on the topic:

At this point, so many threads have been made, come and gone. I've done the thinking and an actual proposal, so at this point, if nothing comes of it, it's probably time to give up.

We know there's already stuff in development, content planned for the year ahead, it's not going to be a shock if we hear nothing or get no reply or acknowledgement from anyone on the team. But at this point I'm happy to be told by anyone on the team to just add more recipes or think with a certain limitation in mind, and I'll keep changing or developing the ideas.

The polite way of being told "no" or "not going to happen" is being told it's "in a comfortable place at the moment" so that's all we need to watch out for ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Tea is essentially the cooked meat of beverages, it's too simple and basic to be made more worthwhile than it already is. As far as modern drinks go, honestly, nothing in this game is truly time accurate anyway, the beverages having those names doesn't exactly matter much anyway. We could have fun with the names, but I feel like if we just changed the names and kept the recipes it'd be a bit more weird than having them in the game anyway.

Ah, but there are several different kinds and recipes of tea, so it could be very fun to mess with! And I'd kind of love if we had Wurm versions of drinks with weird Wurm names that were different than the normal stuff. I know we have a lot of normal modern recipes already, so it would be a nice change. 

• Like 2

just brainstorming names here...

-Troll Piss (moonshine)

-Goblin Blood (bloody mary)

-Cup o Enki (coffee)

-Retro's Death Tab (boilermaker)

and so forth and so on...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NeeNee said:

Ah, but there are several different kinds and recipes of tea, so it could be very fun to mess with! And I'd kind of love if we had Wurm versions of drinks with weird Wurm names that were different than the normal stuff. I know we have a lot of normal modern recipes already, so it would be a nice change. 

There is more than several.  There are something like 120+ different combinations for tea - I mapped them out.  it's a shame the timer is so crappy on them, they could be useful otherwise.

Edited by Demonix
  • Like 1

+1 To the general idea.  Not sure how I feel about being able to make ice in a larder's ice box though.  Not realistic at all.  Or at best, your snow would/should melt MUCH faster if making ice in there.  Just feels off, to me.

Better idea, in my opinion, would be to allow small barrels or bowls of water left outside in the winter to freeze over time, and then use a chisel to break into cubes or blocks.  Ice blocks could be stored in a larder's ice box to keep the larder cold, and the cubes could be stored in the larder shelves for use in beverages.  No ice trays and such- it is counter to the time period in which the game is set.

Snowballs would become less important for keeping larders cold though, which is not a big deal for me. Leaves more for snowball fights and snowmen...

And speaking of snowballs...
Wish there was a mechanic in the game where you could, in the winter time only, "spar" using snowballs, and game would keep score of hits till the sparing session was done. :P

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thalius said:

Better idea, in my opinion, would be to allow small barrels or bowls of water left outside in the winter to freeze over time, and then use a chisel to break into cubes or blocks.  Cubes could be stored in a larder's ice box to keep the larder cold, and the cubes could be stored in the larder shelves for use in beverages.  No ice trays and such- it is counter to the time period in which the game is set.

That's already in the doc

2 minutes ago, Madnath said:

That's already in the doc

I saw something about ice trays in the doc as well, to make ice in larders.  I was simply saying I would limit the making of ice and ice blocks to the freezing of small barrels/bowls in the winter time.  No ice should be made any other time of the year (as in by using ice trays in larder ice boxes).  Make your stash of ice in the winter, and store it.

Edited by Thalius

Since it's carpal tunnel to do this skill now 'tea', I think it would benefit from some overhauls.

+1

• Like 1

+1 this sounds fun :) It's clear you put so much time and effort into this idea, I'd love to see it in game! Great work!

On 1/2/2019 at 2:11 PM, NeeNee said:

I really wouldn't want to see Wurm add more modern drinks (just my opinion)

In fairness, a ton of the new food is modern as well, so it would at least fit.

Cocktails, spiced drinks, etc. all have a lot of history to draw from anyway, so either way there are options!

• Like 3

On 1/3/2019 at 4:33 PM, Ostentatio said:

In fairness, a ton of the new food is modern as well, so it would at least fit.

Cocktails, spiced drinks, etc. all have a lot of history to draw from anyway, so either way there are options!

I know, it's slightly un-Wurmy, too. :)  

Can I add to this that we should have the ability to make larger quantities of drinks, not just alcohol? A full cauldron of tea/coffee, or sangria, or whatever. We can make large amounts of some liquid food ingredients and alcohol, but have to drag one camellia at a time to make any amount of tea. 

• Like 1

Clearly mad failed bartending class and what's the next best thing? Bartending in wurm. +1 will watch him fail constantly to bring new suggestions to the forums.