Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

Beverage overhaul

I vote yes.

Also, be nice to have a few different kind of grape vines, so I could grow red grapes up north where I live...just sayin.

I also make a promise that with this clear upgrade over the current beverage system, I will also make sure rice wine is correctly named to Sake.

+1

While I'm not as supportive of adding modern-day-type drinks, I am definitely supportive of making beverages more viable. There really should be a market for beverages along with significant benefits for high quality, aged/refined alcohol.

There are so many different types and variants of alcohol that could be added, even trying to keep with the medieval-type feel of the game, that could accommodate additional affinities like OP mentioned.

I just started working on fermenting and distilling various types of alcohol and was surprised and disappointed when I found out how undesirable alcohol currently is, despite the -50% damage buff and increased difficulty for tasks that can be achieved. (You'd think those alone would be very sought after).. It would be nice to see beverages become more functional in the game.

• Like 1

Idea I mentioned in-game: Using distilled alcohols to treat infected wounds/disinfect them. Pour a little brandy on that leg!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Idea I mentioned in-game: Using distilled alcohols to treat infected wounds/disinfect them. Pour a little brandy on that leg!

Added it to the google doc with an idea for a use for teas, at long last. Many thanks for the very, VERY good idea

[21:40:03] You start to tend your wounded soul with Brandy.

[21:40:05] After you finish aiding you will start aiding again.

[21:40:05] The Huge Tub contains too little material to cover the wound.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, SirRick said:

There are so many different types and variants of alcohol that could be added, even trying to keep with the medieval-type feel of the game, that could accommodate additional affinities like OP mentioned.

Just as a note - there are 220 affinity combinations for brewed beverages alone, plus a total of 88 affinity combinations for distilled beverages (though functionally its 66 because good luck getting a fantastic still and thats still not going into rare/supreme/fantastic batches of pre-distilled product for the brandies) PLUS 3 different affinities for the eggnogs (which are counted under baking for some godforsaken reason).   This is a total of 289 potential affinities

Numbers of affinities aren't the problem;  the problem is the spread (even with this many, there will be an affinity 'deadzone' where you will never get certain skill affinities) and the duration - ESPECIALLY with low quality products and brewed products.  Given the amount of time and effort it takes to make this stuff (ESPECIALLY anything distilled, dear god), the duration timers should really be much better than they are now.

And this isn't even counting teas, which have all of the downsides of regular foods with the crappiest possible affinity timers.

Until the skill spread and timers are changed, foods will always be a superior choice when it comes to affinity selection and duration.  I come to this conclusion after MONTHS of study, comparison, and experimentation.

So yeah, +1 to a bev overhaul.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Demonix said:

Just as a note - there are 220 affinity combinations for brewed beverages alone, plus a total of 88 affinity combinations for distilled beverages (though functionally its 66 because good luck getting a fantastic still and thats still not going into rare/supreme/fantastic batches of pre-distilled product for the brandies) PLUS 3 different affinities for the eggnogs (which are counted under baking for some godforsaken reason).   This is a total of 289 potential affinities

Numbers of affinities aren't the problem;  the problem is the spread (even with this many, there will be an affinity 'deadzone' where you will never get certain skill affinities) and the duration - ESPECIALLY with low quality products and brewed products.  Given the amount of time and effort it takes to make this stuff (ESPECIALLY anything distilled, dear god), the duration timers should really be much better than they are now.

And this isn't even counting teas, which have all of the downsides of regular foods with the crappiest possible affinity timers.

Until the skill spread and timers are changed, foods will always be a superior choice when it comes to affinity selection and duration.  I come to this conclusion after MONTHS of study, comparison, and experimentation.

So yeah, +1 to a bev overhaul.

It might seem like that on paper but in reality I think situation is very different, a lot of those affinities overlap, wouldn't surprise me that you can't even get full set of usefull timers... So affinity distribution is a huge problem, for example white wine with birchwood same affinity as red wine with pine, strawberry gin with regular still same affinity as apple gin with rare still(I'm making examples up but you get the picture), etc. Somebody mentioned that it may have to do with me not turning fixing affinities yet have to test that, but amount of usefull timers you can get from beverages is huge problem for me. You can make crazy timers pizzas and play as much as you want to get  all affinities which puts beverages in big disadvantage.

And even for my 90ql brandies timers are ridiculous short considering effort like you said but atleast somewhat useful compared to others.

Edited by kochinac

Also, mead should age like wine considering that is not that easy to get huge amounts of honey for making it and in real life the older mead is, the better. Not a single reason for it not to age....

• Like 2