Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Once charge tomes from digging and rifts

Why not spice up the fishing system abit with tomes.

How about a small change of fishing up a page from a tome ("This seems to be a page from an ancient book, it appears to be magical since it is completely dry")

And you need 30-50-100-whatever pages to complete the tome (and on completion it gives you a random tome with 1 charge).

That way you give people a quest to aim for and you make the new fishing system a bit more rewarding (until the other things that Tich planned for it are ingame).

Edit: Oops, seems like Nordlys came up with it first :D

Edited by Lycanthropic
  • Like 1

While we are at it can we add fantastic and supreme tools/armours drop as well as part of rifts?
oh and add finding vegies as part of digging too while we are at it

anyway -1 please dont make them even more common i already find enough things during my digging for dirt i dont want to have to clean my inventory even more

Edited by moonpie

Ooh, yeah, there's an idea.  How about fantastic pickaxes and supreme glimmer weapons as rift loot?

Yeah... um... no.

• Like 4

The journaling system seems like a good platform to provide new characters with something USEFUL along the way.  Seems like adding tomes to this would recreate the mess of the personal goals system.

Rifts seem specific in their purpose. I have noticed the cold, efficient method in which they are often dispatched. Sometimes quelled quite swiftly.  The loot is specific, not jealously guarded, and provides useful items back into the world.  Tomes, most likely, would disrupt that entirely.  I could only imagine how the area could be fenced off by whoever called dibs. If you think like a bandit, I am sure there are more ways one could envision to benefit their select group alone.

3 very interesting "mystic" arts exist in this game... priesthood, sorcery, and meditation.  The mechanics of acquisition and use are distinct, and unique.  To me, these are the real hidden gems of Wurm, and should be protected from becoming common.

The recent priest overhaul seems to have made Priesthood move toward normalcy, and just a few weeks in, many suggestions here and in Global are asking for even more normalcy, and to make priest skills.... easier.  Are we really moving to Wurm: Priests & Impers?  This is not to say the overhaul was not a good thing overall, but I am speaking only about what appears to be the encroachment on ANY value of NOT being a priest has.  This is low level compared to sorcery, but the mindset is the same, no?

Archaeology has potential to becoming its own mystic art, as do many other skills, in their own ways.  From Restoration, Missions, Astrology, Books that could hold many pages of unknown origin... there has to be a more engaging, and creative way than just... crude drops.

Protect the Arcane from becoming Mundane.  If everyone gets to be a jedi... what's the point in being a jedi?

Edited by Arishok
spelling and such
  • Like 3

I'd like to see those tome fragments coming from archeology, would keep alive a fun and loved skill long after everyone and their nephews got each and every statue, while tomes drop being removed from uniques (blood, scale, hide, bones are more than enough to carry on with the uniques drama).

+1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Ooh, yeah, there's an idea.  How about fantastic pickaxes and supreme glimmer weapons as rift loot?

Yeah... um... no.

Wargasm, I think you made your downvote abundantly clear here :) You can stop now.

9 hours ago, Evening said:

I'd like to see those tome fragments coming from archeology, would keep alive a fun and loved skill long after everyone and their nephews got each and every statue, while tomes drop being removed from uniques (blood, scale, hide, bones are more than enough to carry on with the uniques drama).

+1

Agreed.

Tomes should be hard to get, but everyone should be able to participate.

Move away from the current system where people have monopolized the way tomes are obtained.

It's most definitely possible to let everyone participate, but to still make it hard to obtain and valuable.

Encourage trading of tome parts.

Edited by Bittereinder

10 hours ago, Arishok said:

The journaling system seems like a good platform to provide new characters with something USEFUL along the way.  Seems like adding tomes to this would recreate the mess of the personal goals system.

The journal is intended for new players to sample the various activities of Wurm (like making your first boat, or building your first house, etc).  It is not a mechanic that I believe was installed to allow people like me with 5 accounts to get free tomes.  Retro has already said that tomes for journal rewards is not happening.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

The journal is intended for new players to sample the various activities of Wurm (like making your first boat, or building your first house, etc).  It is not a mechanic that I believe was installed to allow people like me with 5 accounts to get free tomes.  Retro has already said that tomes for journal rewards is not happening.

Perhaps I was misunderstood.  I do not see Tomes as useful in this regard.  A 60ql frying pan might be useful to some, however!  The same some who might not have enough karma to turn on a lamp, much less cast a wall o' fire.

I wholeheartedly agree with NO tomes in the new journaling system.  Just a rehash of the old if it was added.