Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Once charge tomes from digging and rifts

The personal goal achievements gave a few people some tomes with three charges, which cannot be split away from the tome.  Dragons and uniques may continue to drop these at random times.  I would like to suggest a mini-tome with one charge exactly the same as the current selection of tome charges, but only one charge per tome.  It does not matter if several of these drop during the same rift event, similar to how the jewellery currently drops.

The mechanism would be that a single charge tome is randomly dropped right into a participant's inventory during rifts, or while digging/burying/killing mobs, similar to how rare bones, coins, Halloween hats/masks, and rift crystals/stones/woods/goodies are obtained.

Also, tiny tomes would be cute, there can never be enough cute things in any game :)

9502c95a563b8c33d4b270afc3839a44.jpg

Edited by Fairyshine

I feel like it would be better to utilize a skill for it, and archaeology is perfect.  Tomes already come in fragmented form on epic (3 bits per tome), so it can just be a rare chance to get a tome fragment.  Odds will be that it will take a lot of work to make one complete tome, but everyone would be able to get an equal chance on their own terms

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

I feel like it would be better to utilize a skill for it, and archaeology is perfect.  Tomes already come in fragmented form on epic (3 bits per tome), so it can just be a rare chance to get a tome fragment.  Odds will be that it will take a lot of work to make one complete tome, but everyone would be able to get an equal chance on their own terms

The more I thought about your suggestion, the more I liked it because  "The idea is that every person is able to get an equal chance on their own terms", so it is not just in the domain of people being at a unique spawn where they randomly drop and are sold for an obscene amount.  Every person can actually work towards getting these items by spending time in the game and upskilling. :)  There is something about collecting and building the tomes, which encourages someone interested in that to log in and do some upskilling.  I guess some would be harder to complete than others, e.g. the smoke of sol would be like an eagle statue while the green or red ones would be more like the miner ones?  This idea follows the trend where other items were introduced in the game to make it more accessible to everyone, e.g. larders to store food items, sealing barrels to store liquids, archaeology to give masks and helms and things which were previously only sold for obscene amounts as they were only ever given as reward items.  Essentially it opens up the avenue for a much bigger part of the player base to participate and trade and exchange items. 

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 4

Tomes already need to be MUCH harder to obtain as it's so silly today.

Big

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

+1

However I rather see the new journal system give them out instead of archaeology.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

Tomes already need to be MUCH harder to obtain as it's so silly today.

Big

I disagree, a lot of them are OP. I'm looking at you true strike, smoke of sol. I don't see the reason to hide it behind more cash walls. If you don't have all the tomes you're at a disadvantage for pvp and it prevents a lot of people from participating. I personally rather see the buff/debuffs removed and karma spells. I have pretty much all the tomes for example.

• Like 5

I like this too, Fairy.

+1

Edited by belacane
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Niki said:

I disagree, a lot of them are OP. I'm looking at you true strike, smoke of sol. I don't see the reason to hide it behind more cash walls. If you don't have all the tomes you're at a disadvantage for pvp and it prevents a lot of people from participating. I personally rather see the buff/debuffs removed and karma spells. I have pretty much all the tomes for example.

Truestrike is not a requirement for PvP.  Neither is smoke or any of the other tomes.  

• Like 1

If tomes are so OP i'll rather see them nerphed and then A LOT harder to obtain to give individual tomes more weight.

(Coming from someone who has 14 tomes, everyone besides Red Cherry and will lose a lot of value if they were to be nerphed.) 

They've already lost alot of value.  Half their value to be precise.  Smoke used to go for 3g a charge, now it's 1.5, and the same is true for pretty much all the tomes.  The market has been saturated with the things because of personal goals, which is why this suggestion is a terribad idea.

• Like 1

Still caring about the financial value of items in the game instead of making the game more fun/better.

Sucks you spent so much in the past.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, FranktheTank said:

Still caring about the financial value of items in the game instead of making the game more fun/better.

Sucks you spent so much in the past.

It's not about financial value.  It's about preserving the rarity of something precious.  What's going to be special about smoke of sol if everyone has it?

And for the record, I didn't pay a dime for my tomes, I put forth the effort and finished my personal goals on pretty much all my toons.

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 1

+1

Make them require 100 pieces as archae finds.  Keeps them rare, but makes them obtainable through hard work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

They've already lost alot of value.  Half their value to be precise.  Smoke used to go for 3g a charge, now it's 1.5, and the same is true for pretty much all the tomes.  The market has been saturated with the things because of personal goals, which is why this suggestion is a terribad idea.

The monetary value of tomes really has no bearing on whether this should be voted up or down.  There are many examples where the balance in the game was restored with decisions to include more players into the game, and to allow newer players to also obtain what others already have.  If it has to be a situation where newer players can only get things at a very high (real money) price which other players obtained before it was taken out of the game, what is the sense?  What about the other people who also had the same situation with many other things which were subsequently changed?  Many people spent lots of money on things they thought were never going to be equalled in the game, e.g. fountain pans, traders, once of prizes like Masks, helms, and yes, even tomes.   These things impact the balance in the game and allow a few people to have things other people really cannot obtain.

Not to mention other people who paid for premium and then used the time to grind skills to obtain 100 ql mats to use for imping or to sell, BEFORE imbues and runes made it much more accessible to the general player base.  There are always things that are brought in to restore some balance, e.g. armor are way more balanced now that other armor types can come closer to scale and drake.  Sleep bonus and affinity meals allow others to get more increase in skill ticks if they are more casual players (or have a life and job outside Wurm).  

As for your comment where you stated It's not about financial value.  It's about preserving the rarity of something precious.  What's going to be special about smoke of sol if everyone has it?  

Surely you can't think that EVERYONE will get a Smoke of Sol, with this suggestion? What will more than likely happen is that many people will trade the frags they need to offset their tome which they got with completing their goals...and if EVERYONE wants Smoke of Sol, then the price will reflect that desire.  (I, for one, would like a Worg for my Fo priest.  They seem like a friendly sort of beastie.)

This suggestion thread is just that:  A suggestion to make something more accessible and fun to the general player.  

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sn00 said:

If tomes are so OP i'll rather see them nerphed and then A LOT harder to obtain to give individual tomes more weight.

(Coming from someone who has 14 tomes, everyone besides Red Cherry and will lose a lot of value if they were to be nerphed.) 

They are though, I also have about as many tomes as you. The amount of DR I have is a joke.

58 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1

Make them require 100 pieces as archae finds.  Keeps them rare, but makes them obtainable through hard work.

I agree. The new journal system should be a source also to be fair.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

There are many examples where the balance in the game was restored with decisions to include more players into the game, and to allow newer players to also obtain what others already have.

There is a difference between taking something precious and making it slightly easier to get, and taking something that is meant to be rare and turning it into more welfare loot at rifts.  

Tomes are already commonly acquired from unique slayings, and the devs have slightly enhanced the drop rate to include a single tome charge from dragons and drakes.  That's a far cry from turning tomes into welfare loot from rifts.

10 minutes ago, Niki said:

The amount of DR I have is a joke.

About half as much DR as anyone would get from having SoTG.  The difference is, one takes about 5 months, the other is a very expensive instant gratification.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

...It's about preserving the rarity of something precious.  What's going to be special about smoke of sol if everyone has it?...

^^This. There needs to be "end game" items which players can aspire to attain. The tomes would be that (also dragon armour, moon metal gear etc). They need to be high value - I do not mean real world dollars but in-game meaning and significance (the amazing experience, trials and tribulations you went through and survived to earn it).

If tomes start dropping at rifts or even digging/burying moi rolls, we'll all just be playing dress up, cosplaying witches and sorcerers, strutting around with our "mine-is-longer-than-yours" page-long titles and twirling our star gem magic staff while raking our farms and playing virtual Lego on our deeds.

I suggest going the opposite direction - make tomes harder to obtain.

+1 to adding them to the rotation thru archeology. Seeing that from feb the winners tomes will disepear the prices will go back up and id rather have tomes more accessable vs not accessable at all. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrGARY said:

This.

Also, i think fishing can be more utilized - since it already have had an upgrade in terms of tediousness. All the work of fishing for, well pretty much nothing gives little incentive. Archaeology was pale at first also, but is now very popular.

The possibility to fish up ancient goodies, like tome fragments - oh b(u)oy!

7 hours ago, Niki said:

However I rather see the new journal system give them out instead of archaeology.

We would not. 

• Like 4

It would be cool that if you get some specific things from Archeology you have a chance to get a quest kinda thing where you have to find a treasure which can contain a tome etc. Like a minigame. (mission) in the favor of the gods. 

• Like 1