Retrograde

For Auld Lang Syne

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Niki said:

Is it really too much to ask for a fair event for a change? I heard you spawned a dragon without warning. I was told doing this was impossible for a staff member who said it would be unfair. Remember when I asked for one at the impalong?  (You could've made a fun event out of it but nope.)

 

You make annoying cipher quest like events that reward the same people pretty much every time. I'm starting to think it's a conspiracy. Normal players can't even do it afterwards for a lesser reward. I hate that I spent tons of hours trying to do that event. All in vain.

 

You randomly give stuff out to each other but the player have to fend for scraps in global chat with you're riddles, that happen in 'aussie' hours and probably only once. I heard staff members are getting 99ql supreme/fantastics this year with custom names. Player crafting is a joke right now most of us, use iron. Very very few of us, use other high end materials. Stuff like this makes player crafting pointless and hurts the economy. The player can't even name our wares like you guys can. So how is your 99ql fantastic "Brickcutter 9000" addy chisel doing for you? Not saying staff don't deserve rewards, but there is a thing called money, silver, sleep powder. I'm totally against overpowered items worth 100's of euro's being given out like this.

 

Want a honest review? Sop making events that less than 1% of the ingame population can attend because it's all 'aussie' hours. Please be more fair. Be more transparent with your events. Stop doing things on a whim. The best event are xmas tree, ones that have dates, /redeem code, or a simple ingame task to "craft" it.

 

Happy new years, I guess.

 

In what way would you class this as unfair? By the way things look, everyone had the same opportunity to get to these chests. 

 

You cannot cry conspiracy just because you were unable to get an event reward. Not when, and I'll reiterate this, everyone stood on equal footing for them. Perhaps your strengths don't lie in solving puzzles? That's fair enough. Not everyone is good at doing the same things. In that same vein, however, other events where you have succeeded in obtaining a reward would show where your strengths lie, and others do not. I've yet to see anyone else shouting about people conspiring against them because of this.

 

In what way do the gifts that staff members may have received over the years hurt the economy? I've yet to see any of the named items hit the market for sale, nor would I expect to see them. When the items gifted have a specific meaning to the individual staffer I don't believe that the thought of selling them would even cross their minds. Not everyone plays this game with the sole intention of monetising their playing experience. Why are you against it? Is it because you yourself aren't receiving one? Is it because you have the belief that it'll cause irreversible damage to the economy? Given that the volunteer staff of this game selflessly give up hundreds of hours of their time to aid in the running and well-being of this game, I'd say they more than deserve a Christmas gift.

 

9 hours ago, Niki said:

Let's say your a staff member. It's your job to do events, your goal is to make people stick around and not leave the game. 

 

Do you think it's good to keep making events that only the 1% elite clique can do? No. Mind you this clique is probably friends with you.

 

Surely in doing these random events, they're succeeding in that goal of keeping players engaged and playing the game? I'm not sure where you get the idea of there being some elite group of players that get advance warning, or unfair advantages from, but I assure you that it's entirely false, and reads as rather delusional and unfairly accusational.

 

9 hours ago, Niki said:

Last year I found one, 

 

I kept my complaint to myself because of that, I didn't think it was fair for people who searched and never got one. Alt abuse was a big thing last year also.

 

That, to me, reads a lot like you're only complaining about it when you yourself are unable to obtain these items. Especially given your first line from your first post in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often wonder when a good jesture goes wrong, why is it?  I've concluded consistently that its about the nature of the individuals and what they bring to the table.  I grew up with little, having expectation is almost something you'd get reprimanded for and reminded to be grateful for what you have.  I miss out on many a fun and interesting prizes in wurm.  Sometimes i'm lucky and get one and tickled about it, goes back to my upbringing and it not taking too much to please me.  I also think we've come into an era esp in gaming with immediate gratification and the oprah effect of you get giraffe and you get a giraffe and you get a giraffe.  This notion we are entitled to any "gift" is not only false but also takes away from what a gift means.  I"m thankful wurm staff tries, they can't please everyone, sometimes things could be planned better but one must look at the intent in it.  I say none of this to target ANYONE, but instead have us all think about the bigger picture.  I have my own serious concerns about staff, but event organizing and gift distribution is NOT one of them.  Having been on staff and worked endless hours I know how overworked some can be, unfortunately this was before any gifts given out so my work was left as just that without much more fanfare.  I'm happy to have given time to hopefully leave the game with something better than when i started.  I really ask you all to instead of expect, demand, feel entitled to as none of these things are true in any dimension of the world, is to instead be thankful for what does come your way if it comes your way.

 

Above all, wishing to all of you a year that unfurls with hope, belief in possibilities, options to seize, and unlocking greater levels of self happiness, love, and personal growth in and out of game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback Firestarter. I just want to say I do appreciate all the tireless work the staff do to keep the integrity of Wurm Online as successful as it is. However small this game might be, it's very interesting to me, someone who works in the industry to see all the content this game adds all the time. I might not always see eye to eye with everything as a player but I thoroughly enjoy playing the game because of what you guys do to make it possible. Sincerely. I apologize in advance if I've upset any staff that was never my intention.

 

46 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

 

In what way do the gifts that staff members may have received over the years hurt the economy? I've yet to see any of the named items hit the market for sale, nor would I expect to see them. When the items gifted have a specific meaning to the individual staffer I don't believe that the thought of selling them would even cross their minds.

Have to respectfully say your wrong here. I've been offered several staff named items in the past for other items like scale or drake sets while trying to sell. Generally I turned it down cause I probably wanted silver for it at the time or they only offered that item for it. I'm not aware of any rules preventing sale of said items. They might not appear on the forums but I've seen a few pop up in trade chat and in private.

 

54 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

 

In what way do the gifts that staff members may have received over the years hurt the economy? I've yet to see any of the named items hit the market for sale, nor would I expect to see them. When the items gifted have a specific meaning to the individual staffer I don't believe that the thought of selling them would even cross their minds. Not everyone plays this game with the sole intention of monetising there playing experience. Why are you against it? Is it because you yourself aren't receiving one? Is it because you have the belief that it'll cause irreversible damage to the economy? Given that the volunteer staff of this game selflessly give up hundreds of hours of their time to aid in the running and well-being of this game, I'd say they more than deserve a Christmas gift.

I'm sorry to again talk about the economy yet again. I know a lot of you don't like me talking about it all the time. It's the darnedest thing really. I'm interested in economics!

 

I know we've talked about this before with the Epic item transfer drama. I know you made you case back then that you don't think it's a issue. I get it. Some of us actually do care about the trading aspect of the game. This game is a sandbox at the end of the day. I used to play this game as a merchant once upon a time. I haven't sold anything in a very long time. I decided to step back and focus on the game in recent times. It was the open freedom about Wurm that drew me back into the game that I could do something like being a merchant.

 

However the economy is in ruins because of the lack of proper item sinks. Which are desperately needed. There is no development in this department of the game at all. Plenty of things have been suggested that would infact remove the excess rares/supremes. I doubt it'll ever improve so I buy silver instead of earning it now. So I mean what I said has some merit as it devalues player crafting, maybe not by a lot but it does. What's the point when you guys can get a fantastic 99ql sailboat for free or whatever? These items are extremely useful in pvp encounters and yes I would say 'overpowered staff item.' Feel free to disagree.

 

When I was a staff member I didn't sign up to get any reward, I used to be a board mod - I also never got any rewards. I was happy to aid Rolf & Crew to better the game once upon a time. Maybe I just don't really understand why you think it's okay to have fantastic items when players hardly have one. 

 

Most of the player base; however I can't speak for everyone here but, a lot of us are extremely grateful for the staff's hard work. I'm constantly constantly commenting you guys for stuff. However this might sound blunt but there is a thing called salary if you think you deserve a reward. 

1 hour ago, Firestarter said:

 

That, to me, reads a lot like you're only complaining about it when you yourself are unable to obtain these items. Especially given your first line from your first post in this thread.

You're entitled to your opinion I guess.

 

 

Thanks for the post, sorry if you think I came off as complaining or rude. Words sometimes difficult to express emotion for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An event like that should be announced a day before to give everybody a fair chance of getting the rewards. Too bad I didnt make a suicide alt, because that was the best way to get 'rewarded' in this 'event'. People got like 5 chests just suiciding all over xanadu starter deeds in the first hour of the event, and chaos players that actually have to risk their life and items in order to find those chest couldnt find any in hours of searching. It was exactly the same with the last year chest and people exploited it as much as they could, so.... you did it again? Just with better rewards so people will exploit even more?

Great event

10/10

will have a suicide alt ready for the next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i agree with happysad i was online way before the event ever started but because there was no warning by the time that one of the people in out alliance told us it was already too late and all the chests were gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Same. And there was a dragon spawn? Some quiz on GL freedom to win more chests? And none of these things were announced???

 

Seems like they just wanna give the rewards to anyone just so they can say they did it. Doesnt matter that it only targets a few lucky people, instead of giving everyone a fair chance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Niki said:

However the economy is in ruins because of the lack of proper item sinks. Which are desperately needed. There is no development in this department of the game at all. Plenty of things have been suggested that would infact remove the excess rares/supremes. I doubt it'll ever improve so I buy silver instead of earning it now. So I mean what I said has some merit as it devalues player crafting, maybe not by a lot but it does. What's the point when you guys can get a fantastic 99ql sailboat for free or whatever? These items are extremely useful in pvp encounters and yes I would say 'overpowered staff item.' Feel free to disagree.

 

I feel the need to point out here that no staff member gets fantastic items ,that would be silly. 

 

Now if you are upset that a staff christmas gift for the hard work they put in day after day detracts from your potential sales, I think you're placing emphasis on the wrong area. 

 

41 minutes ago, happysad said:

An event like that should be announced a day before to give everybody a fair chance of getting the rewards. Too bad I didnt make a suicide alt, because that was the best way to get 'rewarded' in this 'event'. People got like 5 chests just suiciding all over xanadu starter deeds in the first hour of the event, and chaos players that actually have to risk their life and items in order to find those chest couldnt find any in hours of searching. It was exactly the same with the last year chest and people exploited it as much as they could, so.... you did it again? Just with better rewards so people will exploit even more?

There are SOME around starter deeds due to the size of xanadu, there's no fair way we can evenly distribute across xanadu, but there's more than just the few around starter deeds.. If people wish to take advantage and collect multiples there's little we can do, like people bringing alts to slayings to maximise on rewards and other situations, that's not a fault with our system. 

 

There are many more across xanadu, just the easy ones have been found. 

 

The one gift we gave out this year was the snowmen, the events and prizes and gatherings are random little things that aren't intended as specific events, but things to look out and take part in. We'll be giving out more boxes over the next few days. 

 

32 minutes ago, happysad said:

Yep. Same. And there was a dragon spawn? Some quiz on GL freedom to win more chests? And none of these things were announced???

 

These are random unscheduled events separate to the larger planned ones like hunts, seasonal event gifts from codes and hunting and many of the other major gifts we give. If you are looking for structured events where everyone gets a prize those are the ones to wait for. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found my box on Exo, ran straight home seeing if i see one to gift to someone from my alliance to wish happy new year. Wasnt there for the dragon on Xanadu, way too hangover to play for longer time, but i really dont see the problems. Come on, its game, yes alot of stuff have monetery values here, but have fun, enjoy the ride and if possible join in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wulfgarr said:

Found my box on Exo, ran straight home seeing if i see one to gift to someone from my alliance to wish happy new year. Wasnt there for the dragon on Xanadu, way too hangover to play for longer time, but i really dont see the problems. Come on, its game, yes alot of stuff have monetery values here, but have fun, enjoy the ride and if possible join in. 

It's not fun when you spend 5 hours looking for a box and some random X dude on xanadu respawns 20 times at 20 different villages and gets 5 boxes in 30 minutes. pls..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could always just avoid placing them around start deeds next year and stick to the wild drops, that's okay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We could always just avoid placing them around start deeds next year and stick to the wild drops, that's okay

And that would just be perfect so +1 :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

 there's no fair way we can evenly distribute across xanadu, but there's more than just the few around starter deeds.. If people wish to take advantage and collect multiples there's little we can do, like people bringing alts to slayings to maximise on rewards and other situations, that's not a fault with our system.


Well you created that 'system' so who's fault is it? The community? Creating a flawed system that allows people to exploit will always cause that. Also you had some experience from the last year so you could make some changes, but you decided to do exactly the same thing, and people did exactly the same as last year.

 

Spoiler

These are random unscheduled events separate to the larger planned ones like hunts, seasonal event gifts from codes and hunting and many of the other major gifts we give. If you are looking for structured events where everyone gets a prize those are the ones to wait for. 


Why not give an announcement that an event is happening in 30mins or something like that? There's no GL freedom window on Chaos so I guess the entire chaos playerbase cant enter the box event because of... Reasons?
So you have to be on a certain server (one of the freedom isles), you'll have to actually be online for the entire 24hours a day and watch the GL freedom chat (last quiz event was 4AM my time), AND then you have to win the event.
If I didnt make a post about it, we wouldnt even know that there's gonna be more quiz events.


Dont get me wrong, its nice that you're actually doing this but the entire thing doesnt make sense to me.

I guess I'll stick to streamer/community events since somehow they manage to make it fair, and announce things properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We did a gamewide notice an hour before it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmpf, looks like I'm late to the party again.

 

Any update on how many are still out there?

I fear I'll be riding around for hours on independence in the hopes of finding one, when there are actually non on the server anymore :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lycanthropic said:

 

I fear I'll be riding around for hours on independence in the hopes of finding one, when there are actually non on the server anymore :(

I found one from last year like 2-3 months ago, unlikely they'll be all gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On other hand, I'd suggest no more free new year gifts, nor christmas ones or any else. Only very limited rewards for crazy tough tasks, annoued month ahead, so at least people would have know why they didn't get it and who they should blame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

On other hand, I'd suggest no more free new year gifts, nor christmas ones or any else. Only very limited rewards for crazy tough tasks, annoued month ahead, so at least people would have know why they didn't get it and who they should blame. 

 

Nah just drop them on the ground and call it an event

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The market chat has been very active.  The Market forum has sellers I have not seen in months...

 

The numbers of players consistently in game looks high (seasonal, I get it).  I love running into many different players after long stints of empty sectors...

 

Hanging around the awesome new Haven's Landing, seeing the new hovels pop up, helping some newbs get their bearings, older players filling needs as they arise.  Observing a team dig a new useful canal, other area development...

 

The EVOLUTION of fishing, and priesthood.  The overall player participation in learning, critiques, and figuring it all out...

 

Seeing the staff help people down off of the far from perfect broken last ditch personal goals... 

 

The remaining mystery of the Knights of Seris...

 

Developers make the structure, players make the culture.  Whats OUR culture?

 

This just seems absurd.  But anyway... where's MY shiny new compass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, armyskin said:

Fixed*

 

No I'm definitely a Loaf. ;D

 

I'd like to say thank-you to Enki, Retro and all the devs who put up with us all and make Wurm a great game to play. Thank-you for the updates, the events, the presents (random or otherwise) and everything else during a year that must have been hard for you all. ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What a cruel world it is huh? While you're busy and having fun with your family or potentially sleeping the world went ahead and continued without you... how unfortunate. I guess the world does not revolve around you after all.. shame.
giphy.gif

Edited by Legios

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Enki said:

I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say, but know that these public things are the things that you are aware of.....  there are many more that you never hear a peep out of us just to add a little more to the game. We hope you enjoy them when you encounter them, step on them, or get attacked by them, and I am looking forward to providing many more enjoyable quests, mini games, and specials for everyone.

 

/Enki (Head Game Master)

 

p.s.  NO.. there is no secret hidden in this message!

I appreciated the New Years Party and I appreciated the effort you, retro and joelle put into throwing it impromptu as you did :)

I think it is awesome that you and other staff take time to do things like this and please don't let a few complainers stop it.

You have always worked your ass off for this game and I think most of us realize that and appreciate it ALOT.

Thank you for the Random Enkounters and every other event you and the team put on for the player base!

Edited by necroe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with the majority of the complaints here. "The chests were place around Xanadu Starter Deeds for ease" That makes sense as Xanadu is huge, and the other servers smaller. Now what ticks me off is somebody making alts then suiciding those alts to get chests instead of letting folks have the fun of hunting those. I hunted for and found one at Glasshollow Spawn and another player which i believe is newer found one also. How many spawn, i do not know, and understand they will not spawn on deeds at least for Xanadu.

 

The second thing that ticks me off is the random events like the one held at Vrock where a Dragon was slain, no mention of it in the Forums that I know of. You DEVs should make the event one way teleporters into two way teleporters so folks can go to these events more easily and participate. I tried to go and yes I did choose to ride a horse there because i didn't have a way back. I died halfway there and finally got there just about 3 minutes after the event was over. Very frustrated and was ready to quit WURM. Heard folks were getting all kinds of goodies. You should make these events more accessible and post more info about them so folks have a chance, and maybe run a couple events the rest of the week and weekend so those who couldn't participate can have a chance. Like the multi events at Impalongs.

 

Lastly if your going to handout insane uber supreme and fantastic items to devs and such, maybe make it so they can't sell or something as I hear rumor items are selling for hundreds or euro's.

 

I love the game, love the new content, await the new stuff yet to come and have invested quit a bit in the game since I started in 2013 and 2014. I have seen our numbers dwindle and pray for a resurgence in the game. Crap like this hurts the game and likely drives away players, or can drive away some. As for some of the other servers like Epic Cluster, I would like to see those merge and get re-worked into some sort of Valrei Questing and Dungeon, old ruins exploration and fight the forces of Jackal. Those that live there still would, also keep the PVP there as that would be more interesting too. Just saying, spark things up, if you build it they will come. "Field of Dreams", build one for WURM.

 

Happy New Years and see you'all at the Rifts and Slaying.

 

Kudos to those of you that make slayings Public, Oblivionreaver, Lunar Slaughterhouse. Thanks, those were fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

I have to agree with the majority of the complaints here. "The chests were place around Xanadu Starter Deeds for ease" That makes sense as Xanadu is huge, and the other servers smaller. Now what ticks me off is somebody making alts then suiciding those alts to get chests instead of letting folks have the fun of hunting those. I hunted for and found one at Glasshollow Spawn and another player which i believe is newer found one also. How many spawn, i do not know, and understand they will not spawn on deeds at least for Xanadu.

 

The second thing that ticks me off is the random events like the one held at Vrock where a Dragon was slain, no mention of it in the Forums that I know of. You DEVs should make the event one way teleporters into two way teleporters so folks can go to these events more easily and participate. I tried to go and yes I did choose to ride a horse there because i didn't have a way back. I died halfway there and finally got there just about 3 minutes after the event was over. Very frustrated and was ready to quit WURM. Heard folks were getting all kinds of goodies. You should make these events more accessible and post more info about them so folks have a chance, and maybe run a couple events the rest of the week and weekend so those who couldn't participate can have a chance. Like the multi events at Impalongs.

 

Lastly if your going to handout insane uber supreme and fantastic items to devs and such, maybe make it so they can't sell or something as I hear rumor items are selling for hundreds or euro's.

 

I love the game, love the new content, await the new stuff yet to come and have invested quit a bit in the game since I started in 2013 and 2014. I have seen our numbers dwindle and pray for a resurgence in the game. Crap like this hurts the game and likely drives away players, or can drive away some. As for some of the other servers like Epic Cluster, I would like to see those merge and get re-worked into some sort of Valrei Questing and Dungeon, old ruins exploration and fight the forces of Jackal. Those that live there still would, also keep the PVP there as that would be more interesting too. Just saying, spark things up, if you build it they will come. "Field of Dreams", build one for WURM.

 

Happy New Years and see you'all at the Rifts and Slaying.

 

Kudos to those of you that make slayings Public, Oblivionreaver, Lunar Slaughterhouse. Thanks, those were fun.

Good post, you did a better job than I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

I have to agree with the majority of the complaints here. "The chests were place around Xanadu Starter Deeds for ease" That makes sense as Xanadu is huge, and the other servers smaller. Now what ticks me off is somebody making alts then suiciding those alts to get chests instead of letting folks have the fun of hunting those. I hunted for and found one at Glasshollow Spawn and another player which i believe is newer found one also. How many spawn, i do not know, and understand they will not spawn on deeds at least for Xanadu.

 

There are more than just the ones around starter deeds, a few were placed around them just like a few get placed around hota on chaos. Go around and hunt, there's upwards of 50 or so randomly across xanadu

 

1 hour ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

The second thing that ticks me off is the random events like the one held at Vrock where a Dragon was slain, no mention of it in the Forums that I know of. You DEVs should make the event one way teleporters into two way teleporters so folks can go to these events more easily and participate. I tried to go and yes I did choose to ride a horse there because i didn't have a way back. I died halfway there and finally got there just about 3 minutes after the event was over. Very frustrated and was ready to quit WURM. Heard folks were getting all kinds of goodies. You should make these events more accessible and post more info about them so folks have a chance, and maybe run a couple events the rest of the week and weekend so those who couldn't participate can have a chance. Like the multi events at Impalongs.

 

The signs teleporting players to vrock were two way, they have been there since the puzzle labyrinth opened, if you chose to ride and did not use the portals then there's nothing we can do. 

 

1 hour ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

Lastly if your going to handout insane uber supreme and fantastic items to devs and such, maybe make it so they can't sell or something as I hear rumor items are selling for hundreds or euro's.

 

No fantastics are given out. As a christmas gift to volunteer staff a single rare renamed item of their choice is given, gm's get a supreme. I have not seen a single one beyond a mask for sale which was only renamed by us as a christmas gift, it was not MADE fantastic. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This conversation has officially delved into "Suggestion Forum" territory, so if you're serious about these ideas, please post there.

 

As for the Auld Lang Syne chests, we are doing trivia giveaways for them for a couple more days, so be sure to pay attention to Global chat this week for those chances. There will be one tonight, even!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now