Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

For Auld Lang Syne

6 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

I was at Vrock yesterday. I didn't win any contest beside being one of dragon slayers. Do I complain that Enki didn't reward me for not being able to find treasures faster than others? Oh excuse me, "feedbacking". Even spent lots of karma, and almost died to spawned mob twice. Still it's great.

I did manage do get a chest today, karma returns as you see.  Even if you don't get a chance to find something, there will be so many other possibilities in future, that you will use, and won't be able to. Then we can exchange rewards/ gifts or sell them to each other. Do whatever we want. 

If not today, not tomorrow, then day after tomorrow you and I will get yet another good stuff. 
Did I cry that i wasn't able to find Shadow Wraith armor? Well, perhaps a bit yesterday... but NO i didn't. You're not always in right time and right place, that's it. So do I, so do everyone else. 

Sometimes we are able to get something, sometimes not, simple as that, but in the end we always gets something extra. 

The only equality between players is the fact, that we all can't be always in right place and time. Only this. 

Let's say your a staff member. It's your job to do events, your goal is to make people stick around and not leave the game. 

Do you think it's good to keep making events that only the 1% elite clique can do? No. Mind you this clique is probably friends with you.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

Just now, Niki said:

Let's say your a staff member. It's your job to do events, your goal is to make people stick around and not leave the game. 

Do you think it's good to keep making events that only the 1% elite clique can do? No.

Let's say I'm doing stuff like that in my Academy. And? Got new and interested people almost everyday, not many of my recruits run away. 

I've beend doing fishing contest, i was giving Xmas gifts ONLY to those who logged in said period of time. I'm doing graphics contest, I'm rewarding only certain players for certain things or if they're in right time and place. I'm rewarding best players in different terms, not rewarding lazy ones and ones who screams for equality and rewards. But, excuse me once again. Here none complains. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alkhadias said:

Let's say I'm doing stuff like that in my Academy. And? Got new and interested people almost everyday, not many of my recruits run away. 

I've beend doing fishing contest, i was giving Xmas gifts ONLY to those who logged in said period of time. I'm doing graphics contest, I'm rewarding only certain players for certain things or if they're in right time and place. I'm rewarding best players in different terms, not rewarding lazy ones and ones who screams for equality and rewards. But, excuse me once again. Here none complains. 

What if you're only rewarding those who abuse getting into the academy by breaking the windows instead of going all the way around to the main entrance? ( Or in wurm terms people who suicide alts over and over on xanadu to find the chests near the spawn locations ) ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Niki said:

Want a honest review? Sop making events that less than 1% of the ingame population can attend because it's all 'aussie' hours. Please be more fair. Be more transparent with your events. Stop doing things on a whim. The best event are xmas tree, ones that have dates, /redeem code, or a simple ingame task to "craft" it.

i have to agree but completly disagree...

in the warm months my IRL job takes me from sun up to sun down building many things for many homeowners. sometimes i dont even get to sign online cause i got home at 9pm and must be at it again by 7am... i have missed impalongs, public slayings, and other events. i have spent decent money on this game and havent complained. somehow someway i found a chest this morning. it will go next to my santa hat and picnic basket cause thats all i ever got. we all miss out on stuff, its life, ohh well, least you own a computer and have a roof over your head....

• Like 4

The chest I found was sitting right next to a road on Indy on the northwest side of the base of Dragon Fang mountain. Not hidden. Not near a starter town.

I have to agree with Gladiator that greedy players hoping to grab a bunch of these chests are awful people but in truth, that's just this community. People constantly shaft each other to make a dime.

Finaly, even if these things were given out as gifts to all players there would still be people whining about it. Probably the same ones.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

What if you're only rewarding those who abuse getting into the academy by breaking the windows instead of going all the way around to the main entrance? ( Or in wurm terms people who suicide alts over and over on xanadu to find the chests near the spawn locations ) ?

So using an alt to find a chest is wrong, but using alts to mass spam bricks, enchants, to have multiple crafting skills, to have one safe toon for pvp or to make sermons only on your own, or to delivery stuff when you can easily sit in deed is ok?

I don't get it, maybe I'm too dumb. If that's it, if I'm too dumb, which of course might be true, so be it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beanbag said:

The chest I found was sitting right next to a road on Indy on the northwest side of the base of Dragon Fang mountain. Not hidden. Not near a starter town.

I have to agree with Gladiator that greedy players hoping to grab a bunch of these chests are awful people but in truth, that's just this community. People constantly shaft each other to make a dime.

Finaly, even if these things were given out as gifts to all players there would still be people whining about it. Probably the same ones.

Last year I found one, 

I kept my complaint to myself because of that, I didn't think it was fair for people who searched and never got one. Alt abuse was a big thing last year also.

Sometimes I think it would have been simpler just keeping it everything player made, except for an initial spawn token and trader.

• Like 5

Any event in which players must compete for limited prizes is basically a form of PvP, and I wonder about doing that on Freedom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olafhairybreeks said:

I found the Summerholt chest. I'm just an Olaf. 

Fixed*

30 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Any event in which players must compete for limited prizes is basically a form of PvP, and I wonder about doing that on Freedom.

It's not PVP, it's luck. In pvp at least you can attempt to control the situation, not in this event tho

Out of curiosity, how many were spawned on each server?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niki said:

You make annoying cipher quest like events that reward the same people pretty much every time. I'm starting to think it's a conspiracy. Normal players can't even do it afterwards for a lesser reward. I hate that I spent tons of hours trying to do that event. All in vain.

There hasn't been a quest/mission like the Knights of Seris before, and it wasn't the "same people" to solve it alone either.

How long did you spend doing it? People have literally spent the past half-year working on it, and upon finding out that someone else solved it, cheered them on.

I think your New Years Resolution should be to quit being so pessimistic and accusational. There's a difference between "being honest and giving feedback," and giving actual constructive criticism, in a respectful demeanor.

Anyway, Happy New Years everyone, and thanks to the staff for a wonderful unexpected (non-Aussie hours) party at Vrock last night. :) 

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 6

If I cant have it, it is not fun and its a conspiracy against me

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 8

Everyone has the right to complain but can we please give Retrograde (or any other member of the team) some positive feedback for attempting to make New Year a little special? How can we expect anyone to 'stick their head over the parapet' when they are immediately shot down?

Well done to those who won. There will hopefully be more ;events' like this in the future.

• Like 3

Niki , You have mentioned some of the more public things we have done in your complaint.  If left at that, yes it does seem lopsided and favored towards specific people.  I give you my word there has been no such improper shenanigans.   Everyone who wanted a change of pace, no matter who they were had an equal chance of participating in the treasure hunt.  Granted more computer savvy individuals would have had an advantage, I left clues high and low to include everyone.  simple clues,  practically blatant ones so that even the normal non-geek could decypher the clues.

The Random Enkounters last year.... totally random.  I never chose the person or location,  it was done automatically.  Anyone may become a vict... recipient of one.  Time zones do not matter, the person does not matter, the place and server does not matter, its all random.

These so called named items you have alluded to...  There are many reasons throughout the year that we might introduce one.  It is not some exclusive thing for staff.  It's used to commemorate things, or to add a little fun to something different.  Now, saying that, do know that a few years back in the long distant past it really was mostly a staff exclusive deal, but there was an important reason for that.  However, now we have new tools!  We are pretty careful with these though...

Most of our events are advertised in advance to allow everyone who wants to attend,  unfortunately we have had a pretty rough time during the last part of last year and just didn't plan anything proper like we wanted.  I can see that as being a rather disappointing issue, I absolutely want to bring everyone to events that want to take some time to have some fun.

The dragon thing...  that's new....  but don't expect a unique all the time!  I'm not just gonna toss out a dragon because someone is holding a festive occasion like an impalong.  It just seemed like a good way to end the year for a change.  We had a really good attendance for the impromptu end of the year bash.  I understand it could have been handled more fairly, but.... well.... too bad!

I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say, but know that these public things are the things that you are aware of.....  there are many more that you never hear a peep out of us just to add a little more to the game. We hope you enjoy them when you encounter them, step on them, or get attacked by them, and I am looking forward to providing many more enjoyable quests, mini games, and specials for everyone.

/Enki (Head Game Master)

p.s.  NO.. there is no secret hidden in this message!

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, Xallo said:

There hasn't been a quest/mission like the Knights of Seris before, and it wasn't the "same people" to solve it alone either.

How long did you spend doing it? People have literally spent the past half-year working on it, and upon finding out that someone else solved it, cheered them on.

I think your New Years Resolution should be to quit being so pessimistic and accusational. There's a difference between "being honest and giving feedback," and giving actual constructive criticism, in a respectful demeanor.

Anyway, Happy New Years everyone, and thanks to the staff for a wonderful unexpected (non-Aussie hours) party at Vrock last night. :) 

7 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

If I cant have it, it is not fun and its a conspiracy against me

I have nothing against you guys. 

9 minutes ago, Enki said:

Niki , You have mentioned some of the more public things we have done in your complaint.  If left at that, yes it does seem lopsided and favored towards specific people.  I give you my word there has been no such improper shenanigans.   Everyone who wanted a change of pace, no matter who they were had an equal chance of participating in the treasure hunt.  Granted more computer savvy individuals would have had an advantage, I left clues high and low to include everyone.  simple clues,  practically blatant ones so that even the normal non-geek could decypher the clues.

The Random Enkounters last year.... totally random.  I never chose the person or location,  it was done automatically.  Anyone may become a vict... recipient of one.  Time zones do not matter, the person does not matter, the place and server does not matter, its all random.

These so called named items you have alluded to...  There are many reasons throughout the year that we might introduce one.  It is not some exclusive thing for staff.  It's used to commemorate things, or to add a little fun to something different.  Now, saying that, do know that a few years back in the long distant past it really was mostly a staff exclusive deal, but there was an important reason for that.  However, now we have new tools!  We are pretty careful with these though...

Most of our events are advertised in advance to allow everyone who wants to attend,  unfortunately we have had a pretty rough time during the last part of last year and just didn't plan anything proper like we wanted.  I can see that as being a rather disappointing issue, I absolutely want to bring everyone to events that want to take some time to have some fun.

The dragon thing...  that's new....  but don't expect a unique all the time!  I'm not just gonna toss out a dragon because someone is holding a festive occasion like an impalong.  It just seemed like a good way to end the year for a change.  We had a really good attendance for the impromptu end of the year bash.  I understand it could have been handled more fairly, but.... well.... too bad!

I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say, but know that these public things are the things that you are aware of.....  there are many more that you never hear a peep out of us just to add a little more to the game. We hope you enjoy them when you encounter them, step on them, or get attacked by them, and I am looking forward to providing many more enjoyable quests, mini games, and specials for everyone.

/Enki (Head Game Master)

I appreciate it thanks

• Like 1

Aussie waking up to read crying about something always happening in Aussie times smh

I cant remember the last thing anything staff or player run happened in Aussie time lol

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

I cant remember the last thing anything staff or player run happened in Aussie time lol

I'm the poor bugger dragged out of bed at all hours to help with these events and streams

and don't even get me started on unique slayings! 

• Like 2

[18:24:27] You get an Auld Lang Syne.  On Chaos, I had no idea what is was when I found it.  I got referenced to this thread . Pleasant surprise that made my day better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Enki said:

/Enki (Head Game Master)

It was not fair the least! People spend many hours and hard earned silvers for orbs and valuable gems to find the uniques and random select tiny set of 70ish people at an after midnight time just receive a dragon freely? Even without a twittter alarm?

Nah, I need to learn this yet I'm afraid...

On the contrary, thank you for the Vrock party - I missed to find any of the gems, I was killed by a babysitter and went to sleep before any dragon. I did not find any chests today although spent a lot of time. That does not count. Wurm needs events like these, random ones, with random winners. Abusable? Yes. Some are. Still, keep the spontaneus events going, sooner or later it will be at a convenient time and location for most of us.

Also yes, I was at Vrock on an alt, I had no chance to sail over in time. 

• Like 1

Niki, Niki.... Happy new Year! Don't worry, be happy :D

• Like 2

Wait, there are small chests? I need to start paying attention more... 

• Like 1

I'm with niki on the chest spawns but enki cleared up the rest. 

I don't really attend these events because I don't care for the items. I'd really like to see some more pvp events from gm, even when staff spawned guardian trolls on hota with announcements. I would like a no loss hota event for example, just really something to let everybody go wild in, that's my idea of a end of year bang. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1