Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Highway work just east of Newspring

17 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

But the Highways spreading from Linton or Vrock to Greymead and on are not sensibly "Glasshollow Highways" much less <anything> Market highways.

Terrible, and good that you mentioned it so that us that was unaware can now know this fact.

Ayes, you've actually hit the nail on the head.

You get along well because you have shared, or share, a common interest in improving the local area. Obviously, if one wants a road and other wants a road in the same place, then what's there to fight about?

However, the drama around Newspring (and other starter deeds) has begun with difference of opinion, how the local area should or could be developed.

People who have lived in the area for many seasons and who have developed that said area, who have local alliance and shared interests - one day they find an outsider, all the way from other map edge, come and start "improving" the infrastructure in their backyards. Without really any feedback from the locals. With no intention to permanently reside there himself; only to make a trading outpost. Takes no social scientist to figure out how explosive that formula is.

Ehh, might as well... my "sob" story, whoever cares...

Spoiler

I was not involved in above mentioned incidents with the starter town areas. But I did run into Sila during the construction of the highway on the mainland, heading to the Newspring bridge.

Sila at that time was planting catseyes on full speed on all the roads between starter towns, because the wagoner update was about to be released and of course he wanted all his markets to be connected.

He was coming down from Linton and planting eyes, when he got to a section which Thorakkanath (who lives not 2 minutes away from described area) had planned and started building a long time ago.

Despite of planted signs saying "roadwork in progress" and "contact this and that";

despite signs pointing to detours;

despite the road being partially not road at all;

despite me having a chat in local and private with Sila;

despite all that - he continued, he planted catseyes on sections that were planned to be completely modified. Thorakkanath, who had started all the work there even before I was involved, asked Sila to come back and remove the eyes, so we could properly continue and finish our project. We even agreed to start removing the eyes ourselves if only he'd come and help.

Did Sila come? No. "This takes way too much time" was his response.

Yes, things got ugly, GM's were involved from both sides. Sila actually accused us in destroying a working highway (for the record, the old road was only 1 tile wide and not even on same path, which we proved with map dumps and screenshots, and the GM agreed). Sila's next "solution" to the problem was - you guys just make temporary detours with catseyes, complete your project, then redirect again, easy eh. . . . I mean, this is no place for meme's, but... I can't even!

This court session took place here in forum messanger. We started noticing strange "edited" tags in many Sila's messages. Yes, he does edit and delete his words which are proven wrong.

All of this set us back three months. All we asked was the catseyes to be removed, either by Sila himself or by a magic wand. We didn't ask him banned, or punished. We even suggested he'd get his catseyes back.

Several GM's were involved, not just one. In the end, it was ruled on the highest level for our favor. But we lost three months. We lost the spirit to play. We completed the highway, with bitter taste in mouth.

Soon after it was done, we saw Sila oh-so-happily declare in another thread "Newspring is connected, good work!" As if nothing had happened.

Oh yes, the best part, after the dust had settled, Thorakkanath's merchant got kicked from GH market. Actually made us smile again :)

Personally I am not against his market empire. No, let him build, let him develop. Wurm needs visionaries. The problem is how he's doing it.

Jumping to an orchard, chopping down all trees, building a big tower, declaring "this is better!" and then forcing all the peasants to praise your work is not how you make people smile (orchard, tower and peasants are here as a figurative illustration and not a reference to any specific incident in Wurm).

Sila himself keeps repeating "for the better of community". If we read all the feedback from Newspring people in this thread - which community is now feeling better?

"Deed it or leave it"

"There is nothing to discuss."

"We know what is best for Newspring island"  (I sense sarcasm there, but who knows)

-Sila, 2019

• Like 2

You guys act strange when it comes to highways it dont metter who build what and who change what...  many players doing them quit wurm long time ago or die. They was made to be used by public, and that we are dont we?  Yesterday i log by Vrock Landing, some new guy  place new deed on highway, he do detour  and destroy old highway as is totaly normal. If i would do that i will get ban for sure just becose of my name. But the point is, they think that is totaly normal to do.

[20:39:16] <Barberman> can we help you?
[20:40:32] <Roknew> all good with me :D what GM approve removing cateyes?  just for info
[20:40:58] <Barberman> We have build another way , so we can remove this cateyes
[20:41:05] <Roknew> ok great
[20:41:06] <Barberman> follow me
[20:41:42] <Barberman> here is the new way
[20:42:15] <Roknew> fine with me :D i hope nobody will complain about
[20:42:28] <Roknew> if i do that .. i will got ban for 2 weeks lol
[20:42:38] <Roknew> happend to me before :D
[20:43:00] <Barberman> its no problem, when you build another way
[20:43:13] <Roknew> so i just stay away from doing any highway work for last year
[20:43:25] <Roknew> happy new 2019 guys and  cu
[20:43:32] <Barberman> you too
[20:43:37] <Extrusion> o/
[20:43:41] <Extrusion> oo
[20:43:46] <Extrusion> you too

Meldichoir job is to kick merchants with no stock for more then 3 months, just for info... in old times we even inform owners via ingame mail about.  We must give place to someone else to make things runing.  Nobody will browse empty merchants at GHM.

Edited by Sila

43 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

"Deed it or leave it"

"There is nothing to discuss."

"We know what is best for Newspring island"  (I sense sarcasm there, but who knows)

-Sila, 2019

my favorite words.

Shmeric you know that your highway work down there was not approved by GMs in first place, on time when i arrive there was no GM sign about heritage site.  

Edited by Sila

5 hours ago, Sila said:

we know what is best for newspring island.

This is exactly the attitude that will prevent me from ever partaking in anything related to glasshollow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

This is exactly the attitude that will prevent me from ever partaking in anything related to glasshollow.

with your attitude nothing will change.   We will make Wurm Online great again.

3 hours ago, Sila said:

We will make Wurm Online great again.

are you serious now?

so can we start comparing you to the cheetos in chief or you need an orange hair dye first?

3 hours ago, Sila said:

Shmeric you know that your highway work down there was not approved by GMs in first place, on time when i arrive there was no GM sign about heritage site.  

i'm no lawer but im pretty sure NEW highways dont need GM's ok.

in fact pretty sure as well pestering GMs for everything and nothing would get anyone a quick kick in the donkey.

and sila please would you STOP justifying your poor behaviour by "someone else does it and they dont get told off" 

its childish.

its what a spoiled brat would do.

is that why you are quoting trump now?

what next? build a wall to protect glasshollow and the southern wurmians are gonna pay for it?

3 hours ago, Sila said:

with your attitude nothing will change.   We will make Wurm Online great again.

Wurm is already great. 

• Like 3

The east road between Newspring and the GH market was designed and built by Ostentatio and several others, myself included. The road running north from that intersection all the way to the north coast of the island, including a massive mountain pass redesign, was rebuilt and improved be Ostentatio and several others, myself included.

One day I logged on to find lamps and signs all along the east road labeled Newspring Market Highway, all planted by the GH market team, who never laid a single brick or dug a single pile of dirt to help construct it.

In summary, NO section of ANY road on Newspring (except on their own deed) was built or improved by anyone from the GH team, and yet they continue to take credit for it.

Edited by Alendhor
Additional info
  • Like 1

We need to go out and bash all those lamps.

Edit: And put our own lamps on the roads we built.

Actually, in my new highway tunnel I planted all lamps before I opened to public.

I must be traumatized.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sila said:

Proves me right once again, you don't care what other players do or what plans other players have. If not a GM, then you don't care.

There was no existing highway.

We didn't need GM approval to build a new highway. 

We had not asked for heritage site. It was work in progress. Information was on the signs and clearly visible. 

(gahhhh, feels like beating a dead horse again, I hope this to be last time)

You came, you didn't care, you stopped our work, you didn't care to help us recover. 

This is same if someone puts houses on your perimeter "by accident" and you cannot expand (just an example, I have no intention to do it). 

Anyway. 

If you have no personal agenda and your true goal is to improve the local business and community, may I ask, how's it been going so far? Your Newspring outpost is now two years old, how many merchants are there this day?

Not asking for financial data or anything, just some public knowledge. 

• Like 1

I don't understand the issue here. Either rules have been broken or they have not. We could all go on all day applying our opinions to each others business, but was there an actual rule broken. If not, then this is a long opinion piece and Sila who I personally do not know is only being nice to hear anyone's opinions about his/her activities.

I also live on Newspring. I built a long driveway and tunnel which was a heck of a process in order to connect my shoreline, very rock-isolated deed to the mainland. I cut through a public mountain and paved a path through public land to the main road. I did not herald a community event to seek approval. And even if 100 players stood right there fussing about my shovel work, it would only be polite, and not required of me, to hear their concerns. Conversely, I also know in the back of my mind that technically someone can come takeover my highly coveted driveway and access tunnel to my deed and theres not much I can do about it. Why? Because I haven't deeded it - it's not mine by the rules.

My point is, despite all the opinions here, virtue signaling, mentioning all these past events, etc, are rules being broken with Sila's activities? It's as simple as that. If not, tough grapes, even to those of you on the island I personally know and adore. You want control over the greater lands? Start deeding.

• Like 1

As they say, three times is a charm, so let's hope we got answers now as this is the third time I post these questions.
Anyone willing to place their bets?

16 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

It's funny to see that the mayor concern of so many players is ignored over and over again.

So I'll ask it right here and now:

Sila, why do you ignore the wishes of and refuse to talk to the other players near your deeds?

Why is it, that every time someone asks you to COMMUNICATE, you ignore that and you start about something else?

Care to explain that?

@MordosKullThe issue isn't that Sila and his croonies are changing everything; the issue is that he does that without asking anyone around; and when he's confronted with that as Ostentatio did in the very first post of this topic, Sila comes up with all kinds of excuses, lies, false accusations and other sorts of ######, simply to avoid the questions asked.

I asked the questions I quoted yesterday, and didn't get an answer. I asked them again and didn't get an answer. I'm asking them for the third time now and I'm pretty sure I won't get an answer again.

Just like Ostentatio and many on Newspring didn't get an answer, just like everyone living near startertowns or made connections to startertowns weren't informed about changes made to their labour. I won't say here what I think of Sila's behaviour, but something like 3rd world banana republic dictator comes to mind.

Thorin :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

It's funny to see that the mayor concern of so many players is ignored over and over again.

So I'll ask it right here and now:

Sila, why do you ignore the wishes of(im not santa to take care of your wishes) and refuse to talk to the other players near your deeds(i always respond on any PM here or ingame, cant watch local chat all the time, have nothing to hide)?

Why is it, that every time someone asks you to COMMUNICATE, you ignore that and you start about something else(mybe questions should be more clear, english is not my mother language, im pure Slovenian)?

Care to explain that? (just make more questions i will answer all)

Thorin :)

My answers will not suit everyone. That should be part of problem. But its not my problem

Edited by Sila

1 hour ago, Thorinoakshield said:

the issue is that he does that without asking anyone around

I never ask anyone around aswell nobody ask me. I mind my own bussines.

Sometimes i should ask ppl around, but i see my answers without that. Its simply always NO dont do that.  No highway near my deed, No new market here,  No deed on highway,  No lamps on highways, DO not rename everything....  SO why should i even ask community if answers are prity clear. 

But i always ask my GHM team members about every move. And if all agreed we go for... If they says that is bad idea... no go.

Edited by Sila
  • Like 1

Thorin, again, are rules being broken? Sila isn't obligated to tell anyone what his/her plans are. You keep hounding on this player not answering your questions or communicating. I get it, but is this in the rule book anytime a player wants to do something?

For that matter, if Sila hasn't broken any rules in this, then this whole post is continued harassment. I'd be pretty aggravated if every move I made somehow became some group's concern. Concerns were voiced and Sila has been present hearing it all from the looks of it; So why continue on like this? Trying to beat Sila into submission?

I see folks bringing up all kinds of crazy things here from Donald Trump to spilt milk over failure to communicate adequately, to...         Let's weed all the noise out - If rules were broken, gather your evidence and approach appropriate staff. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that SIla isn't going to hand his/her plans over to this panel for pre-approval nor do the rules say that's the case on public lands. If so, none of us would be here....

Bottom line, were rules broken?   Thats it. 

You are entitled to feel how you like about another player, boycott them, go hold a demonstration at the edge of their deed, but if rules weren't broken, community consequence is all that can be applied. I'm sorry for this whole unfortunate situation and the upset some feel from it, and hope I've brought some clarity to send this thing toward conclusion.

• Like 1

i must admit, for xmas night i send my team down to Newspring Market, we do resize deed to fit our needs, we place new public hotel on our land, and L corner highway was build to fit future progress of market. No highway will be destroyed or remade inside of market in future without GM approval as i state already.     We do same on all 9 markets, and only at Newspring comes to drama. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sila said:

I never ask anyone around aswell nobody ask me. I mind my own bussines.

Sometimes i should ask ppl around, but i see my answers without that. Its simply always NO dont do that.  No highway near my deed, No new market here,  No deed on highway,  No lamps on highways, DO not rename everything....  SO why should i even ask community if answers are prity clear. 

But i always ask my GHM team members about every move. And if all agreed we go for... If they says that is bad idea... no go.

Finally a honest reply from you.

Don't talk about respecting each other's work and improving the game experience for everyone. You only see your own goals, you care about your own well-being and you only respect your Glasshollow.

My point proven by your own words.

Thanks, and good luck with your empire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MordosKull said:

go hold a demonstration at the edge of their deed, but if rules weren't broken, community consequence is all that can be applied

What do you think this thread is?

Oh yes, "continued harassment".?

Just to be clear:

I don't neccessarily disagree with your stance, but it lacks nuance and to some degree consistency, as I have just hinted at. Most importantly it doesn't discredit people's concerns and I don't think this would have gone as far and bad as it has if Sila showed any sort of cooperation.

2 hours ago, Sila said:

But at least they're magnanamous enough to let their cabal of GH cronies decide what happens around other peoples neighborhoods.

At least, to Sila's miniscule credit, 6 pages into the fray, Newspring has a confirmation that the concerned highway section will be left intact. This could have been resolved with a single response like this.

"What are you doing with that part of the road?"

"Oh nothing, the other section is just meant as a part of a future deed expansion, the catseyes stay where they are."

/thread

Call this thread whatever you want, strawman the contra side all day with allegations of "bending the rules", but Sila brought it 100% upon himself by being so daft.

Edited by Flubb
typo
  • Like 1

Flubb, I don't think you read or fully understood all of my points. Don't let me get in the middle of the stone-throwing lol. I tried to bring a different perspective as a Newspringer and hopefully some stepping stones to diplomacy.

Sila could certainly be the wretch of the Earth for all I know (never dealt with the player), and certainly doesn't appear to be winning any popularity contests around these parts, but when things get complicated or overloaded or overheated or whatever, the best thing is typically to weed out all of the extra stuff and look to the rules.

What do I think this thread is? Hopefully diplomacy at some point, but if that's not possible (we are 6 pages into this now), then a dignified look to the rules and moving on. Beating dead horses never helped anyone :)    Now I've said about all I can as a neutral Newspringer, and you guys can have at it.

Edited by MordosKull
Addition of: "we are 6 pages into this now"

Sila, will you agree to work with the principally concerned parties here to try to find a solution?

It sounded like you had said at some point in this that you had previously sought community acceptance in these projects but felt you were always rejected, and this made you stop seeking the good graces of your neighbors in this.

Regardless of the past, good or bad, if they agree to hear out your interests with sincere neighborly concern, will you work with them?

Maybe get together the main concerned parties that live in or are otherwise greatly affected by the area, and talk this out. If this thread already consists of precisely that group, have a reset and try from there.

Hope everyone affected gets some satisfaction, sincerely.

I ask many times, what they want from me... no answer... so what to change... cant change me but ingame... i ask for suggestions and ideas... nothing comes out jet.

Ok, so maybe their concerns arent all that clear or are a lot to understand. I get that. I think Ostentation was the primary grievance holder or at least started the thread. Maybe he can get together a clear list of concerns for you with nothing else attached. Then you can respond to each. And where there are issues between you guys, then seek a solution for each problem individually.  

I've found that there are sooooo many ways to settle something. SO many things we can give and take from one another, so many kinds of exchanges to settle differences. :)     Creativity is good!

20 hours ago, Sila said:

i have my eyes and ears opened... but till now i didnt hear any suggestions or ideas jet. Just your two cents sound good to me :D  

Having just finished reading the whole thread, I'd like to state for the record that I have no opinion on the matter one way or the other. I hope this helps.

• Like 3