Sign in to follow this  
Alegria

CLOSE Heartbroken

Dear Wurmians,

Let me tell you a love story gone bad.

When I just started playing Wurm, it was love at first sight and I continued to play for 2,5 years with lots of love and devotion.

I trusted Wurm completely, I may not have always agreed with everything he
did, but as in every good relationship, we always could find enough mutual ground to stay together.

But today, Wurm has cheated on me.

Let me explain:

For months I have been working on completing this one personal goal: make 5000 liters of wine.
Mind, I'm more of a casual player, I have some sort of  RL and a full time job.
But nevertheless, I have spend a lot of my valuable free time in completing this
achievement. It was not something I enjoyed doing, but I was looking forward for the reward at the end.

And finally, more than a month before the deadline, I was finished with the 113 barrels it took, still leaving me plenty of time for the 2 last achievements to complete.
I was chuffed, I still loved Wurm and the future looked bright.

AOn9r4yh.jpg

But after all the barrels turned into wine, I still didn't get the achievement.

My first thought was, that this was all just a big misunderstanding, that it was just a bug or something.

After all, I still have all 5040 liters of wine stored in my deed.

I thought that if I could only talk to Wurm, he would say it was just all a big mistake and that he would fix it.

I had so much trust in Wurm.

But after talking to a friend of Wurm (who had experienced the same thing), all my hope was chattered to ever completing this achievement.

The reason it failed? I must have left the server while a certain amount of the barrels turned into wine, so they didn't count. I did make all of them, like he asked, but some of them just didn't count.

(Wurm had never told me about this rule.)

And so, Wurm has broken my heart, and with all the trust gone I don't know if we can stay together any longer.

I'm already disbanding the first one of my 4 large deeds because, Wurm, if your going to cheat on me, you can no longer have my money.

The end? I have no idea, I still hope Wurm will contact me and some of the broken trust can be restored.

Happy New Year Wurmians.

Alegria

• Like 11

Sorry to hear this tragic story. If it can be corroborated by Wurm, I hope that the spirit of the law may be applied rather than the letter of the law.

If unsuccessful, I would be glad to give you 500 grapes and 4 small wine barrels of maple sap to enable you to attempt to reach your target. They are currently on S Pristine.

Happy New Year to you Alegria and we will hopefully see you in Wurm in 2019.

• Like 3

Leaving a server in Wurm means almost the same as you have never been there. Of course houses, deeds and carts still know you, but everything which is done on the server while you are away will never affect your character, the only thing which reaches you cross server is mailing. But skillticks, achievement and so on will not be added cross server.

• Like 1

Hey Alegria,

I am also pissed off.

I have been playing since 09/2013 and have put 245 days (5880 hours!) of playtime into this game and am not able to fulfill the goal of improving an item over 99QL.

How many more hours will I have to put in?

After a break of a few months, for the first time in my Wurm career, I decided to come back in oktober to work on my personal goals.

I have never minded the grind, even more, I enjoyed it and did it in an autistic way back in the days and have +90 in various skills including ball breakers like mediation and weaponsmithing.

Now, I was working on getting my mining up (almost 97 mining) which I have been focusing on to get my personal goal done.

It's simple, go to niarja.com and have a look how many people have 99 skill.

Barely anyone.

Go and verify how many people have actually gotten this goal?

Barely anyone.

Unfortunately I am stuck with a personal goal that is by far not realistic compared to the others and takes years to achieve.

It requires extremely high skill in multiple skills (99 mining -> 99 smithing, 99masonry,  99 woodcutting -> 99 carpentry skills, 99 digging -> 99 pottery etc.) and then we're not even talking about the tools required. I don't even want to know how much time it takes to grind a single item over 99QL.

I wouldn't mind making a huge boat, I wouldn't mind gathering a lot of items to make wine, even more I've mined over 14,000 ore in the past 2,5 months just to get my mining up.

But what I cannot do is get various skills up to extremely high levels and being skill capped to get this done!!

This personal goal is unachievable for most players, even harder for those Freedom (vs. Epic) and impossible nowthat we were only given 6 more weeks (in a sneaky 1 phrase message hidden in a news post!).

Everyone can buy resources, buy nearly finished ships or beat the system by using lava tiles or alts to repair walls, but nobody can outsmart a skill requirement.

My only hope is that they lower the requirement, to 90-95 skill for example. 

I wouldn't even mind a change 1 or 2 weeks before the deadline just to put in a little extra effort.

This would still make it feasible for the core players and still preventing people from doing alt runs.

I don't complain much, I don't annoy anyone, but I would like to have a chance to get this done.

I am very certain that I am not the only one who is of this opinion!

I completely understand your situation and have the same feeling.

My blood is also boiling and I will use the upcoming weeks to reconsider my position.

Best regards,

Bitter

Edited by Bittereinder

32 minutes ago, Bittereinder said:

Hey Alegria,

I am also pissed off.

I have been playing since 09/2013 and have put 245 days (5880 hours!) of playtime into this game and am not able to fulfill the goal of improving an item over 99QL.

After a break of a few months, for the first time in my Wurm career, I decided to come back in oktober to work on my personal goals.

I have never minded the grind, even more, I enjoyed it and did it in an autistic way back in the days and have +90 in various skills including ball breakers like mediation and weaponsmithing.

Now, I was working on getting my mining up (almost 97 mining) which I have been focusing on to get my personal goal done.

Barely anyone.

Barely anyone.

Unfortunately I am stuck with a personal goal that is by far not realistic compared to the others and takes years to achieve.

It requires extremely high skill in multiple skills (99 mining -> 99 smithing, 99masonry,  99 woodcutting -> 99 carpentry skills, 99 digging -> 99 pottery etc.) and then we're not even talking about the tools required. I don't even want to know how much time it takes to grind a single item over 99QL.

I wouldn't mind making a huge boat, I wouldn't mind gathering a lot of items to make wine, even more I've mined over 14,000 ore in the past 2,5 months just to get my mining up.

But what I cannot do is get various skills up to extremely high levels and being skill capped to get this done!!

This personal goal is unachievable for most players, even harder for those Freedom (vs. Epic) and impossible nowthat we were only given 6 more weeks (in a sneaky 1 phrase message hidden in a news post!).

Everyone can buy resources, buy nearly finished ships or beat the system by using lava tiles or alts to repair walls, but nobody can outsmart a skill requirement.

My only hope is that they lower the requirement, to 90-95 skill for example. 

I wouldn't even mind a change 1 or 2 weeks before the deadline just to put in a little extra effort.

This would still make it feasible for the core players and still preventing people from doing alt runs.

I don't complain much, I don't annoy anyone, but I would like to have a chance to get this done.

I am very certain that I am not the only one who is of this opinion!

I completely understand your situation and have the same feeling.

My blood is also boiling and I will use the upcoming weeks to reconsider my position.

Best regards,

Bitter

245 days ingame, well in wurm such an account is considered as medium skilled, others would say you just started :P

1 hour ago, Alegria said:

I must have left the server while a certain amount of the barrels turned into wine, so they didn't count.

A post nicely written! :)

Unfortunately this is how Wurm works. It may not be convenient, but it has been a known issue for a long time. (It is even mentioned as a warning in Wurmpedia: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wine#Notes )

Actually, It happened to me twice when I made my 5000 liters of wine; I lost several barrels of wine. BUT, to be quite honest, this is not really a matter to be heartbroken about - much less to overreact and disband deeds over it. Just make a few barrels more to complete your goal - problem solved! Good luck with your personal goals - you can do it!

• Like 3

put in a ticket, they have fixed this for multiple players now it shouldnt be a problem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bittereinder said:

Hey Alegria,

I am also pissed off.

Barely anyone.

Barely anyone.

I've done it on my main, know 3 more players doing it and I'm just finishing it in 1-2 days on my alt who only has his best crafting skill at 63.

Trick is think out of the box, Epic has the skill curve....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, armyskin said:

put in a ticket, they have fixed this for multiple players now it shouldnt be a problem

This

@Alegriathere is stilll plenty of time to finish - don't just leave because that please...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I've done it on my main, know 3 more players doing it and I'm just finishing it in 1-2 days on my alt who only has his best crafting skill at 63.

Trick is think out of the box, Epic has the skill curve....

The problem is most people leave their hardest goal until last. You complete your hardest goal on Epic and your "prize" stays on Epic.

1 minute ago, ChampagneDragon said:

The problem is most people leave their hardest goal until last. You complete your hardest goal on Epic and your "prize" stays on Epic.

That's true and indeed a problem then.

@Alegriathis was fixed... I remember them changing how its polled or something... But if it indeed happened to you again, just submit a ticket. I am sure one of the gms will help.

• Like 1

Just in case this hasn't been clear before: I did put in a ticket. I told them all the wine was still there. But he told me nothing can be done.

I would imagine they could search the logs to see if I made all the 113 barrels myself, and that they could fix it manually. But nope.

They may have fixed it for multiple players, but they haven't fixed it for me.

Should I just make another 14 barrels? I considered it. But grape season is very close to the deadline. Not enough time to harvest, prepare and make it ferment. Unless your a 24/7 player maybe.

And even then it would still be a gamble. And there's no guaratee that it would work this time. I didn't wait until the last minute just to prevent this. I got the last grapes from some friends to finish this in time, all for nothing.

So should I spend even more time to complete the last 2 goals, just to fail again at the finishline?

I think it's been enough.

I just wish I could get back all that time wasted ...

• Like 3

Jaz, by using this workaround, you are basically admitting something is wrong. This is just another window of opportunity, just as putting fences on lava tiles is.

Do you think I am not aware of going to epic? Not everyone has connections, resources and tools on that cluster.

I dont see anyone going to Epic to make ships or wine. A more realistic goal for freedom would be 90-95 ql. 

I can only ask and remind the developers that skills on Epic and Freedom are not the same. Next to that, happy customers is what a company should aim for. Not less customers due to a change no one asked for.

Ah well, maybe i ll get a [loser] title next month for not cheating the system. ??

Greetings,

Bitter.

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alegria said:

Should I just make another 14 barrels? I considered it. But grape season is very close to the deadline. Not enough time to harvest, prepare and make it ferment. Unless your a 24/7 player maybe.

3 hours ago, Spolmit said:

If unsuccessful, I would be glad to give you 500 grapes and 4 small wine barrels of maple sap to enable you to attempt to reach your target. They are currently on S Pristine.

If this is not enough, let me know how much more you need. I'll help with the bill to get you the rest of the grapes, if this will keep you in the game.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alegria said:

First check your Achievement Window (Settings->Hud Settings->Achievement Window) for Adulterator. Every numeric value stands for 100 kg of wine completed. That may tell how close or far you are from the target.

I could provide you some barrels of maple syrup as well if necessary. You would have to look for the grapes in season.

if they are saying that they cant fix this then they need to explain why others were helped. I had Enki come and count my wine. He verified all of mine from pre patch and post.

• Like 3

Just now, armyskin said:

if they are saying that they cant fix this then they need to explain why others were helped. I had Enki come and count my wine. He verified all of mine from pre patch and post.

Winemaking not counting while offline was unintended, and a bug, that's when GM's did help.

Winemaking not counting while off server is due to how server transfers work, and the way the servers transfer player data, it's how it works as it always takes the newest info. 

7 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Winemaking not counting while offline was unintended, and a bug, that's when GM's did help.

Winemaking not counting while off server is due to how server transfers work, and the way the servers transfer player data, it's how it works as it always takes the newest info. 

Is there a way that this is a positive interaction with players?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

The problem is, the goal just says you need to make that much wine. Which they did.

So, it should count.

It doesn't, because they were on a different server while it fermented, but the goal doesn't say "make X wine without changing server", it just says "make X wine". You are never warned about this in-game.

I've had the same thing happen to me with the trash heap goal. That one is a great deal easier, so it wasn't a big problem, but I have to say, I was a bit annoyed.

Maybe it should be a bit smarter and actually merge player data instead of just overwriting with the newer one. Or maybe, when a server updates the player data for a player that is on a different server, the server should communicate the change to the other server, so it can do the same operation. (As long as it transfers the operation and not just the new value, this should be fine. Like "add 10kg of wine made")

I have finished my goals, so I'm not longer personally affected by this (apart from losing out on achievements, I suppose... don't really care), but I would definitely consider this a bug.

• Like 6

I guess mainly this is why the personal goal system is being phased out. Too many unhappy players. I know this not helps for all who is putting a lot of work, time, effort and maybe silvers to achieve the goals though.

What I strongly hope that the new journal system avoids tasks raising such issues...

• Like 2

I hope I am able to continue seeing the community come together to help its members when something like this happens. Seeing the offers of help are the reason that I feel Wurm has not betrayed me.

• Like 2

Wurm is a great game and much of this is due to the team behind the scenes and Retrograde in particular has done much to inform, entertain and create bridges between the mechanics of Wurm and the players.

The warning about the wine-making not being counted if on another server is indeed noted in Wurmpedia, however, not all players are avid readers of the wiki and instead simply enjoy the game without thinking or worrying about the nuances. Some will say that players should check and read the 'small-print' and they are culpable if they fail to do so but I feel that many will sympathise with Alegria.

It is surely plain to see that Alegria has created the requisite amount of wine but in the eyes of the game they have not. Is this not unjust? We are dealing here with a wonderful game, but a game that needs players. What a wonderful opportunity for Wurm to say thank you to a player for making Wurm their home by considering their plight- after all it IS the season of goodwill!.

• Like 5

I've never liked the personal achievement system, but you should have your efforts rewarded. GMs should fix this - you have the proof.

• Like 6