New water graphics on Mac

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB graphics

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

================

Using Modern Renderer...

Can not see new water update.  Have all settings maxed, game runs great, and looks great.  Runs around 30-50 fps.

Can see the water update on windows side (bootcamp) with same settings, but game doesn't look as good, and runs poorly.

Any advice?

I expect this is associated with the issues around how OpenGL is initialized, which result in us getting the default OpenGL 2.1 rather than a later version.

If I remember correctly this is also why we still see rain indoors, and don't see text on signs (or maybe that is connected with me having nVidia graphics...) .

Another issue which is likely to make things more complex is that OpenGL was deprecated in macOS 10.14, in favour of Metal framework.

• Like 1

The OpenGL version thing is correct - the modern renderer only kicks in when OpenGL 3.3 (or above) is used, while currently Macs, due to poor OpenGL support there, support up to 2.1.

Sadly it isn't such a simple thing to change and would require us to replace a lot of legacy code, since Macs don't support OpenGL compatibility mode at all - we're working towards that though.

• Like 3

Thank you very much for your assistance. 

Pretty much where my research was leading. 

So Apple documentaion suggest my machine supports opengl 4.1.  Is this not in fact the case? Or simply means its available but they arent going to do anything to ensure it works?

6 minutes ago, Arishok said:

Thank you very much for your assistance. 

Pretty much where my research was leading. 

So Apple documentaion suggest my machine supports opengl 4.1.  Is this not in fact the case? Or simply means its available but they arent going to do anything to ensure it works?

It might support 4.1 Core, but we use OpenGL Compatibility profile, which on all Mac machines (as far as I am aware) supports up to 2.1.

• Like 1

Hi Samool,

Any update by chance on this topic?

Do you guys have any plan / schedule to address the Open GL issue on MacOS, so Mac users can enjoy the modern renderer?

Any one had a positive experience running Wurm with the modern renderer on Boot camp, Parallels or Fusion?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grobrim said:

Hi Samool,

Any update by chance on this topic?

Do you guys have any plan / schedule to address the Open GL issue on MacOS, so Mac users can enjoy the modern renderer?

Any one had a positive experience running Wurm with the modern renderer on Boot camp, Parallels or Fusion?

Many thanks.

We're replacing legacy components of the game every update, so that we can use the OpenGL 3.3+ Core profile on Mac, but it might have to wait until the new UI, as the current UI is very legacy in general. It shouldn't be far off though.

Bootcamp should work fine with Wurm, no idea about the other ones.

Ah... just placed my first sign, added text, and couldn't figure out why the sign wasn't showing the text... After a search, seems this is the likely culprit.

Also explains why my graphics seem horrid compared to when I watch Katspur's and Factional Fight brothers YouTube videos... I couldn't figure out what settings I had wrong.

Is there still a hope to get graphics working fully on Macs? 

Bump to show this is still an issue. Could we Mac users get an answer as to whether we’re going to see this fixed or whether this issue has been abandoned?

Still hoping to hear where this and macOS support in general is heading, considering the other post on the new M1 macs.

It's still in our plans to improve the support of newer visual features in the client on Mac, but it's not something we're currently working on.

Yes, thanks very much for the reply. Its good to know this is still on the table. Any chance of a hint on where this is in the queue?

Any update on this?

I still can't see far rendered trees, "new" water,  sun glares , "new" skybox  etc.  on Mac.

if any Mac user can have any of this please  tell me what I should do to get it working.

I am sure Wurm have much more Mac users than VR users so I kindly ask please take care us too.

Thank you.

• Like 1

new to Mac user here - just indulged in a brand new MacBook Pro . ... . and this is what I get for water and distant terrain/mtns . .. on all maxed settings

3XG0UjG.png

@Keenanis there any hope for this issue being added to the docket?? (open Gl issue that Samool discussed above)

Edited by Goldfinch