Sign in to follow this  
Ferriss

Best Performance Settings?

**Edit: Solution Found **

Huge Update - Especially for anyone else running on Intel integrated GPUs

Turning off GLSL in compatibility improved my performance over 500%. (Probably more like 10-20x)

With GLSL I was getting about 30fps constant at 720p, absolutely everything disabled/low/short.

With it turned off, I can run everything on high/far at constant 30fps, 1080p, using about 25% of CPU's GPU capabilities. However, there are no shadows or shaders, so world is a bit bland....but at least the textures and render distance are superb.

Would highly recommend this for anyone else running on integrated...makes Wurm 100% playable and enjoyable. Could hit 60fps smoothly if I wanted, but I choose to keep CPU usage low, so fans don't run.

Currently trying to run Wurm on a laptop with limited graphical capabilities. (Intel UHD Graphics 620)

I've got Wurm running, after some tweaking, at playable framerates at 1080p.

Some settings I would like to change however:

Display Mode - Fullscreen / Windowed Modes

Renderer - Legacy / Modern

The integrated graphics are the only bottleneck, CPU/Memory operate at low % usage, if that makes a difference.

I'd like either smoother framerates, or the possibility of uping texture quality should the above settings improve rates.

I seemingly got a slight increase in frames using Legacy renderer - but I don't know what the difference is. With most settings on low/disabled, does the modern renderer add anything?

Display Modes, I notice alt-tab is faster in windowed, but will running in fullscreen make the game smoother/faster? I don't need to tab out as much with the improvements to the in-game crafting system. (Less time spent on Wurmpedia)

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Ferriss
  • Like 1

Legacy renderer is for the configurations that do not support modern - those just instantly crash on it, and are mostly just some integrated graphics cards that are much worse than yours. Legacy limits the on-screen light amount to 8 (unlimited on modern), and the lighting is generally worse on there.

Only other thing that affects which renderer is actually used are the settings in Compatibility tab - you're best off leaving all of them on Core if that works fine.

Display mode should not matter much at all for performance, fullscreen might have some lower input lag but shouldn't affect the framerate.

Settings that have most impact on the general performance are shadows and reflections - you'd probably best keep both off on that GPU.

Turning off "pretty trees" makes a big difference in performance and ram usage too.

1 hour ago, nicedreams said:

Turning off "pretty trees" makes a big difference in performance and ram usage too.

It doesn't affect RAM usage at all, performance wise it's not that much either unless you got both reflections and shadows turned on (mentioned both of those) - that will be getting some performance tweaks too.

2 hours ago, Samool said:

It doesn't affect RAM usage at all, performance wise it's not that much either unless you got both reflections and shadows turned on (mentioned both of those) - that will be getting some performance tweaks too.

When I PvP I've usually been around 1.5gb of ram usage on low settings.  Kept having little lag/pause issues when running around and ever since turning off "pretty trees" (around October) I get zero lag/pauses and PvP is really smooth, but world is ugly as hell.  I've noticed that my ram usage is 1.1gb and never goes higher after that.  I understand how ram works and haven't done any proof/testing at all to confirm anything.

Pretty trees does cause a lot of pauses while on a fast horse or running naked down a hill.  Hoping that fade in/out trees feature (when ever that's done) helps get rid of the pausing.

Game is a lot smoother with "pretty trees" disabled and won't pvp with them enabled.  Just ugly, but so is PvP.  :D

Edit:  Re-read your post and saw about shadows.  I'm pretty sure I've always had shadows off before disabling pretty trees, but I'll play around in case it was only shadows giving pausing issues.

Edited by nicedreams

Huge Update - Especially for anyone else running on Intel integrated GPUs

Turning off GLSL in compatibility improved my performance over 500%. (Probably more like 10-20x)

With GLSL I was getting about 30fps constant at 720p, absolutely everything disabled/low/short.

With it turned off, I can run everything on high/far at constant 30fps, 1080p, using about 25% of CPU's GPU capabilities. However, there are no shadows or shaders, so world is a bit bland....but at least the textures and render distance are superb.

Would highly recommend this for anyone else running on integrated...makes Wurm 100% playable and enjoyable. Could hit 60fps smoothly if I wanted, but I choose to keep CPU usage low, so fans don't run.

• Like 1

From year or got huge performance downfall in Wurm, couldn't find why.

I used to run 2-3 accounts on standard settings without problems. Now cannot even run 2 on lowest settings. Playing only on 1 account - still got some freezes sometimes.

Tried turning off GLSL and it worked! now testes 4 accounts in the same time and all runed smoothly.

Downsides:

- all looks worse

- cannot use place etc features

Are there any fixes planned for Intel users? It is shame that I need to turn of GLSL to play normally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Are there any fixes planned for Intel users? It is shame that I need to turn of GLSL to play normally.

We're actively working on performance improvements but we don't have anything huge ongoing that would fix that, if turning GLSL off helps you that much then it's the GPU that's too weak, when currently we're more concerned with the CPU bottlenecks.

12 minutes ago, Samool said:

We're actively working on performance improvements but we don't have anything huge ongoing that would fix that, if turning GLSL off helps you that much then it's the GPU that's too weak, when currently we're more concerned with the CPU bottlenecks.

Got NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

CPU is Intel Xeon X3440 2,53GHz

If this helps...

That's definitely not how that should work on that cpu/gpu combination, I'll look into it.

Samool any chance you can do something for people with sermon alts? Would be great to have clients under 1gigabyte. It would be amazing to have at 500mb or less.

Edited by Niki

On 1/1/2019 at 11:17 PM, Wilczan said:

Got NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

CPU is Intel Xeon X3440 2,53GHz

If this helps...

Can you send my way a console log of one of your alts?
The "lowest" settings in my mind are, modern renderer (important), everything in Compatibility on Core, and everything else on low/disabled.

It's important to limit the FPS in the settings for the alts as well, so the clients don't keep fighting for the resources.

@Samool

Still playing on GLSL turned off.

With GLSL turned on:

- lower FPS

- freezes

- other clients performance is horrible

- running for example clip from a youtube in the background, make it even worse (don't know what is connection between GLSL and youtube). Difference is very noticeable. Of course with GLSL off I can run as many youtube clips in the same time without any performance loss.

- NEW!!! my graphic card just crash from time to time, when GLSL is turn ON, I got black screen, nothing responds and only way is to restart power of the PC. Cannot find exact couse, sometimes it happens 5 minutes after starting the game, sometimes after 2 hours.

I do not experience crashing of the video card on any other game.

Is there any application I can run or game, that works similar to wurm in terms of GLSL features, so I can make sure that this is wurm matter or my card only?

Edited by Wilczan

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

Is there any application I can run or game, that works similar to wurm in terms of GLSL features, so I can make sure that this is wurm matter or my card only?

Minecraft has long been a good "test" game for checking Wurm issues. Both are Java/openGL games which is important as most games out there are DirectX, but in addition, the fact that the dev teams once all worked together (back in Notch/Rolf days) means that a lot of the coding seems to be very similar. Sometimes if I am trying to troubleshoot a Wurm issue, I search the Minecraft forums for the same error, as often the solution is the same. I am not sure whether this is still the case, or whether Microsoft "rewrote" much of the game after buying it from notch. However they used to sometimes get identical errors with identical solutions.

Can you try installing some fresh Nvidia drivers from their website? The default ones that Windows installs by itself are very underperforming in OpenGL applications.

Got always recent ones through geforce experience application. Never installed windows ones.

Maybe just my card is faulty?

Edited by Wilczan

Out of curiosity, you have the GTX 960 or the GTX 960M? (in other words, desktop or laptop?)

The GTX 960 is definitely more than enough for Wurm. The black screen crashing indicates though there indeed is something wrong with your graphics card or the system, no game should be able to do that.

1 hour ago, Samool said:

The GTX 960 is definitely more than enough for Wurm. The black screen crashing indicates though there indeed is something wrong with your graphics card or the system, no game should be able to do that.

Totally understood that card could be faulty despite it's rather fresh one.

Altough those crashes with black sreens only started lately.

Zero problems with GLSL off.

Also no problems on other games like World of Tanks, Skyrim or Divine Divinity (only those played lately).

Edited by Wilczan

Good lord - this saved my quarantine! Intel UHD Graphics 620 on my (coughworkcough) laptop, and turning GLSL off kept the fans quiet and the rest of the applications on my laptop working perfectly! Now I can mine AND work 😄 

Glory days!

• Like 1

How do you turn off GLSL? I am tech illiterate and I see that this is a fix for Intel integrated graphics cards, but I have no idea where to start.

16 hours ago, Grimbread said:

How do you turn off GLSL?

In the launcher, compatibility tab. Be aware that you will lose some functionality when doing so, for example being able to place objects iirc.

• Like 1