Sign in to follow this  
Dranana1

Name Change Tokens

I want constructive options on this please.

I was thinking either the Store or Traders could sell change name tokens, this way if people wanted to change their names they could, especially if they have had them for years and want a change without having to make new character. This could also be restricted to only being done once a year or so.

Let me know what you all think of this idea.

There's like one single argument as to why people would want this and it's just because they "feel like changing their name" . But there's countless of arguments against this such as : "People would eventually lose sight of every single character, after a few years nobody would ever know who is who, expecially since accounts are being sold, this adds a whole new layer on top of that, people would no longer know who they're fighting against in PVP, is it a  20 body strength account? or is it a 90 body strenght account?" . 

• Like 1

Community is a huge part of what makes Wurm amazing. How would we keep track of our friends and people we trade with if names were constantly being changed? 

I hope this never happens. 

7 hours ago, Gladiator said:

There's like one single argument as to why people would want this and it's just because they "feel like changing their name" . But there's countless of arguments against this such as : "People would eventually lose sight of every single character, after a few years nobody would ever know who is who, expecially since accounts are being sold, this adds a whole new layer on top of that, people would no longer know who they're fighting against in PVP, is it a  20 body strength account? or is it a 90 body strenght account?" . 

There were plenty suggestions about name changing, like keeping old name in description etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belacane said:

Community is a huge part of what makes Wurm amazing. How would we keep track of our friends and people we trade with if names were constantly being changed? 

I hope this never happens. 

Accounts are going from hand to hand very often, so how do You keep track of who is who currently?

• Like 2

I agree a lot of accounts do change hands a lot and many people go along time (sometimes years) between playing the game, so there is kind of a loss in community feel anyways. I think this may add some benefit, also lets not forget that peoples tastes change over the years as we get older and some one who may have named there character years ago may not really like the name now, but does not want to start over and so their interest may wain or they may only get on the character 1-3 times a year. How would this kind of play add to the community when maybe if they got a name change instead they may be on everyday because now they actually like there characters again.

• Like 2

I tried serval names said it was taken so I went with Bigsmith and thought I would change it latter. Well you know the rest of the story. ?

when i started i used my name ,then weeks later realised i should of made a char name instead ,now im over it .i agree no name changes .

On 12/29/2018 at 3:37 AM, Gladiator said:

Not knowing who you are fighting is a good thing as people wont target others during pvp by names. I think its silly my enemies see Angelklaine and Hellfang during a fight, both wearing the same gear, and they zoom in on Angelklaine because of name. I think thats a weak argument.

I have heard arguments like "reputation" or "I wont be able to tell whos who". Both those arguments are debunked by character sales. Why not allow this company to monetize a means of giving players more options? It doesnt affect gameplay.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dranana1 said:

+1

Did you +1 your own suggestion?

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Did you +1 your own suggestion?

10 / 10 , I'm gonna start doing this.

-1 on the suggestion though

• Like 1

+1, as long as we get some kind of detailed character history to go along with it (as a chat command maybe: /profile "toon", or something).

• Like 1

I cant see this be more negative for the game than positive, if you count all aspects from ingame to CC economics.

+1

Edited by Nordlys

For that matter, perhaps using a name change token would provide a title you can't hide yourself (though others could ignore it):

"...formerly known as X".

:P

I remember one game I played that had name changes available, limited and expensive, had an interesting way to deal with the "keeping track of friends" thing.  If you had Jim on your friends list and he changed his name to Bob.  You now had Bob on your friends list instead and in other places where the name had appeared.  I don't know how difficult it would be in Wurm to have the game make changes where the original name appeared but that would be one idea. 

Since characters get passed around like street corner hookers in this game, sold-bought-borrowed, there really is no way to know who is on a character on any given day anyway.  Even someone you think you know, and know would never sell their account, could some days actually be their son, daughter, neighbor, or game acquaintance instead.

I can only think of one valid reason why a name changing would be detrimental, and that's in pvp.  I don't pvp in Wurm but I can see why they would want to know the skills/stats of a character while not necessarily giving a fig who's behind the character.  In fairness, that's something to consider but I think that can be easily countered with the suggestions for tagging characters in some way that have had name changes.  Maybe only show it with a mouse-over or examine or something.  (Besides, seems to me it's many of the pvpers who are always in favor of things to "spice things up,"  "add more challenge," etc., etc. in pve. Often with some snarky, condescending comment to go with it. Why not surprises in pvp as well?  So one day Jim is conspicuously missing but this new guy Bob is suddenly cleaning your clock.  lol   **ducks**)

But seriously, I think that's something that could be addressed.  :) 

22 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

For that matter, perhaps using a name change token would provide a title you can't hide yourself (though others could ignore it):

"...formerly known as X".

:P

No ty. :P 

+1 if you also add the option so see what the original name was, and this has to be an ingame option.