Sign in to follow this  
atazs

Fix the server browser?

Ok this is getting out of hand. The player counts on the server browser has been showing the incorrect number of players since the game was released. I believe that it counts alts as well as NPCs towards this number. The server browser should only count and show unique steam IDs. 

There are servers that show 100+ players online in the server browser, while at the same time, wurm unlimited server listing websites shows 20 online for the same server. This is insane and it makes it impossible to get an actual real player count and fools new and old players alike and makes it impossible for smaller servers to grow when someone sees servers with 100+ players online they are bound to join them, when in reality they might have less than 30.

Can we finally get some sort of fix or clarification on this please? It's been haunting the game since it's release more than 3 years ago

Edited by atazs

Official settings show only unique steam players, servers can circumvent this with a mod to show all accounts on, or artificially inflated numbers (alts + flat bonus) 

There's little we can do, as anything we do to limit it can be bypassed easily via mods, but it's something that we've looked at and if we can work out a way to do so then we will

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Official settings show only unique steam players, servers can circumvent this with a mod to show all accounts on, or artificially inflated numbers (alts + flat bonus) 

There's little we can do, as anything we do to limit it can be bypassed easily via mods, but it's something that we've looked at and if we can work out a way to do so then we will

Can you not just simply remove this feature or patch it out somehow? Sync it with steam, or server browser sites https://wurm-unlimited.com/

It hurts new servers and makes grow impossible when new people see servers with artificially boosted numbers, they are bound to join them.

Edited by atazs

I wouldn't care if those were the real actual player numbers, not artificially boosted to make the servers look more popular than they really are. If they were individual players, i'd say good on them, in fact i'd be happy that that many people play this game. I played on these servers, and for them to have 120+ players online at the same time and nobody says a single thing in any chat for well over 30 minutes even after i asked something, then something is wrong. I expect fairness and all servers should have an equal chance to grow. So if you have nothing to add, please go away. 

Edited by atazs

Users are playing on servers where they like the gameplay and the active comunity, 100+ players in the launcher say nothing about the quality of the server, if there is no conversation, players will leave fast and test another server.

A new server just popped out of nowhere overnight with 170 people on it. Or so according to the server browser

In reality: [11:54:11] No other players are online on Ram ranch pve/pvp [6x skills 9x action] [no rules] (1 totally in Wurm). 

100% of the population is faked. A new record it seems like. 

Edited by atazs

On 12/28/2018 at 6:49 AM, atazs said:

It hurts new servers and makes grow impossible when new people see servers with artificially boosted numbers, they are bound to join them.

We've found the opposite. Almost everyone I know prefers a newer server with fewer players, because then you have a chance to actually find a decent spot to deed, to participate in the economy without ending up doing slave labour for experienced players, and even just to get to see the world when it's still new and beautiful. None of us loves having to look at wall to wall houses and castles, or try to sneak a little deed in between other deeds, or get stuck with only the leftover spots that nobody else wanted. 

If I saw a server with a lot of players I would definitely pass, as would almost everyone I know and play with.  I'm sure there are city type folks who love a huge crowd, but for me and my buds a dozen (or even half a dozen) good players online is much better than 50.