Sign in to follow this  
Xandaros

Text-related things

Something that has bothered me for a while is how useless inscribed papyrus is. The mail cost was lowered to 1i, possibly in an attempt to get more people to use it, but..

You can't inscribe terribly much onto papyrus, even with fairly high quality stuff. And even then, you can't even ask a question, because question marks are apparently "too complicated".

Please allow all characters in inscribed papyrus. This limitation reeks of improper database sanitation, so do make sure that works properly, but... if you can't store a question mark in your database, you have bigger issues, I think...

Furthermore, can we please get access to Unicode for chats? There is another thread asking for a Chinese translation of the game. That is likely not going to happen any time soon, but maybe we can start by making it possible to use Chinese characters in the chat.

Actually it's about BML and its syntax more than database stuff. BML is a massive pain and I hate using it. Not sure about unicode but I'll ask 

There must be a way of escaping special characters. At least characters used in normal sentences should be allowed.

I don't know BML, but if they don't offer an option of sanitising user input, adding special cases for common characters shouldn't be much of an issue. It should at least be possible to write a normal English sentence.

Question marks are the most glaring issue. I'm not entirely sure what else is disallowed, but it's a lot. At least somewhat common symbols should be allowed. Question mark, less than, greater than, equals, ampersand, percent, square brackets, etc.

It also doesn't help that the window closes, you get the message about "too complex" characters and if you didn't copy the text beforehand, you'll have to write it all again.

As for Unicode: Know that I'm not asking for support of the entirety of unicode. Text rendering exploits are a thing and oftentimes you see people having way too much fun with diacritics or right-to-left markers. If you find a library that supports unicode with sane limitations, though, that would be great.

Software is meant to be a tool or utility to bring about some functionality and realise a design. When your tools are limiting your design and ability, it's time to throw away that rusty hammer. Regardless of if the Database is at fault or the underpinning markup language, they are failing requirements. ( presumably when you say BML, you're on about Bean Markup Language? )

Bump for letting us write question marks, etc. on paper/papyrus.

• These characters are accepted: !#'()+,-./:;_
  • These (among others) are not: "$%&*<=>?@[\]^`{|}~£
  • Also you can't include line breaks
Edited by Palgolak
Added examples of characters
  • Like 1

what if they included a skill like medieval scroll illumination? with dyes pupirus u could create a scroll with a image like shown below 

NUSJz3f.jpg

i mean if they have to change the system why not go for broke with the idea use a feather to create the quill, a inkwell, a scribe's desk, we got the paper already and the dye for ink it would be cool to have a scroll to display in places lol 

yeah this might be a bit far from the OP and maybe a bit much on the dev team to do but it would be cool, and say a priest could be a scribe or illuminator, and use the scrolls to cast spells on lol i'm just saying i like the idea and throwing this out there 

• Like 1

A useful use for feathers!  I mean, how many floats do you need?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leander said:

what if they included a skill like medieval scroll illumination? with dyes pupirus u could create a scroll with a image like shown below 

NUSJz3f.jpg

i mean if they have to change the system why not go for broke with the idea use a feather to create the quill, a inkwell, a scribe's desk, we got the paper already and the dye for ink it would be cool to have a scroll to display in places lol 

yeah this might be a bit far from the OP and maybe a bit much on the dev team to do but it would be cool, and say a priest could be a scribe or illuminator, and use the scrolls to cast spells on lol i'm just saying i like the idea and throwing this out there 

I would like to see more depth to the writing in WO. Maybe first we can have normal functioning letters with line breaks and a good enough number of characters.

Then quills and writing desks.

And then, finaly, those fancy looking medieval prints. Which can be used for things like village announcements, trade announcements, or simply fancy paper.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 3:48 PM, Idlamn said:

I would like to see more depth to the writing in WO. Maybe first we can have normal functioning letters with line breaks and a good enough number of characters.

Then quills and writing desks.

And then, finaly, those fancy looking medieval prints. Which can be used for things like village announcements, trade announcements, or simply fancy paper.

as would i i was being a bit extra with the illumination of scrolls idea however i stand by the idea of feathers being used as quills and the addition of a scribes desk that hold paper ink and a quill even if it dose nothing other than sit there and look cool there are littrally hundreds of other objects in the game that do basically that just thinking of a few, the bar table, the alchemist cupboard, the birdcage..... so i agree with starting with the basics of a simple "?" then when that is fixed moveing on to grater things