Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

20 Fighting Skill Required To Repair Guard Towers

19 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

And yes, they can make it separate. Its been done with many other mechanics.

I know, but I assume it's a manual separation every time, and must be considered separately every time. I'd expect keeping a dedicated PvP codebase and a dedicated PvE codebase would make that sort of thing a lot easier.

For sure, could be other costs involved; I don't know if global changes that affect both Freedom and Epic, for instance, are harder as a result.

19 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

No it isnt. But not all arguments need to be a customer service issue. I mean, we are talking about changing a mechanic over something akin to achieving level 3 on your average rpg game, and stopping your progression because you refuse to level.

As pointed out, requiring -any- level of fighting skill to construct a building that really requires masonry skill doesn't make any kind of realistic or immersive sense whatsoever. It's clearly an anti-exploit for something that doesn't exist on PvE.

Expecting a PvE customer to bear that burden (however small), so the developers don't have to fix it, is a sign of a deeper anti-customer culture.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roccandil said:

Expecting a PvE customer to bear that burden (however small), so the developers don't have to fix it, is a sign of a deeper anti-customer culture

My goodness dude, its just 20fs. Of course they can flip the switch, its silly. 

As for separating the code, no, its a bad idea. Developers would had to code twice to make any implementation that migh affect both servers. We would end up with two completely different games that will leave both communities dissatisfied when a feature both sides want gets implemented on one side but not the other. 

7 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

requiring -any- level of fighting skill to construct a building that really requires masonry skill doesn't make any kind of realistic or immersive sense whatsoever

you need 20fs to train the tower guard that you'd bring by imping/repairing and he trains his replacement before he dies who trains his replacement and so on

there ya go some fat lore behind it

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

5 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

As pointed out, requiring -any- level of fighting skill to construct a building that really requires masonry skill doesn't make any kind of realistic or immersive sense whatsoever. It's clearly an anti-exploit for something that doesn't exist on PvE.

Expecting a PvE customer to bear that burden (however small), so the developers don't have to fix it, is a sign of a deeper anti-customer culture.

Yes, this is the issue. The pvp guys and PvE unique killers just don't get it. They compare their experience on an equal application to all others without taking into consideration there are other approaches and interests by those who play the game. To them acquiring the ability to repair a guard tower is in the distant past, as well as the "insignificant" 20.00 fighting skill level which meant nothing of an achievement to them because their vision was/is well beyond this as fighting skill is a key aspect of their focus.

In another thread I posted how long it took my new alt to hit 23.00 body strength:

Well my new premium alt guy finally hit 23.00 body strength and this is how long it took to get there:

[07:10:38] You have played 7 days, 5 hours and 1 minutes. (equals 173 hours)

I did not focus to grind this up but hit it by doing activities that I was interested in such as digging, farming, mining and masonry, to name a few that come to mind that I saw were increasing his body strength.

His fighting skill is 1.35 in comparison. There are no horses around to slaughter. Maybe a cow can be found now and then or a pig. Aggro mobs are also few in the area and when they popup the newer players will lure them to the guard towers to attack after the guards are on them. I will not take him further away from this area to fight mobs or passive animals scouring the countryside to find them. No, I am busy doing other things with him that I enjoy doing, just in the same way that the fighter types go out to kill mobs because they enjoy it and the benefits. Perhaps they should have been required to hit 20.00 masonry skill before being able to heal themselves; but no, I am not the type to punish others with an inappropriate requirement just because one has been imposed upon myself and others. Sorry, homie don't play dat!

=Ayes=

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ayes said:

The pvp guys and PvE unique killers just don't get it. They compare their experience on an equal application to all others without taking into consideration there are other approaches and interests by those who play the game. To them acquiring the ability to repair a guard tower is in the distant past, as well as the "insignificant" 20.00 fighting skill level which meant nothing of an achievement to them because their vision was/is well beyond this as fighting skill is a key aspect of their focus.

its not much of an achievement because it takes an hour max on a fresh spawn. i'm not sure how pvping or unique hunting makes 20 fight skill easier or whatever but i guess ever since that kyklops charged into my room at 8 years old i've always thought of anyone below 90 fs as subhuman and it really effects my ability to sympathize with people. i didn't get any fs for like, 3 months after i made my account because i could figure out how to build a fence around my deed and not waste days building a guard tower, but that's whatever and doesn't fit your narrative

23 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Aggro mobs are also few in the area and when they popup the newer players will lure them to the guard towers to attack after the guards are on them. I will not take him further away from this area to fight mobs or passive animals scouring the countryside to find them.

if there's no mobs in the area, wouldn't building and imping a guard tower be a colossal waste of time? i imagine 99% of newbies would burn out and quit before they even had the materials collected for one, and ones already built would lose effective ql when they repaired it with super low repairing, so i really can't see how any newbie would be effected by not being able to repair guard towers. feel free to blame that on pvping or unique hunting or whatever scapegoat you want

• Like 1

Is it stupidly easy to get 20fs?  Yes

Is it easy to also be stubborn and not want to get 20fs?  Yes

Is it easy to add a tiny bit of code to make 20fs repair pvp only?  Yes

Is it reasonable that 20fs repair requirement should be removed from pve?  Yes

Is it easy to get 20fs for now until/if that happens?  Yes

Is it easy to still be stubborn and refuse to do that?  Yes

Is it apparent everyone here is really bored enough to have an intense debate over something so tiny?  Yes

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

Is it apparent everyone here is really bored enough to have an intense debate over something so tiny?

During my time here, I've consistently seen a significant anti-customer culture within a subset of the veteran forum population.

That pattern of behavior is what I'm taking exception to, and it isn't tiny.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

if you've played long enough to make enough stuff to make a guard tower you probably already have 20 fs already.

Well, I play for over a dozen years, I've built several guard towers, I'm 'renowned' in Carpentry and Digging (heh...), but guess what... no 20 FS! And I've been kiling many wolves and wild cats along the way.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

10 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration but i did 1-70 in 4h30m, and about 30-40 mins were 1-20 killing unicorns and hell horses in the local steppe with just 70ql leather and a lt huge axe, which is mid-range gear. fighting is insanely fast to level

Fighting is one of the slowest skills to level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devean said:

[2018-12-28] [18:13:28] Fighting increased by 0.2925 to 17.6962

[2018-12-28] [22:51:32] Fighting increased by 0.1130 to 70.1061

could not be more wrong

• Like 2

As I said, I've been fighting wolves, cats, spiders (with guards), scorpions (with guards), bears (with guards), hell, even trolls (with guards, obviously), and... well:

These are my last two skill increases:

Logging started 2017-02-04 - [12:26:01] Fighting increased  to 13

Logging started 2017-09-24 - [19:38:12] Fighting increased  to 14

And when I started playing on this toon, Golden Valley was not there yet.

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

During my time here, I've consistently seen a significant anti-customer culture within a subset of the veteran forum population.

That pattern of behavior is what I'm taking exception to, and it isn't tiny.

*Buys a burger and fries and doesnt get ketchup packets.*

*raises a ruckus because of terrible customer service*

• Like 1

i just killed a hell horse and got .3 fighting on a 20 fighting acc, so you're killing the equivelant of a horse every 2 months worth of skillgain. i'm actually confused how you could get so little skill when you're killing things

is your account bugged or something

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

12 minutes ago, Devean said:

Well, I play for over a dozen years, I've built several guard towers, I'm 'renowned' in Carpentry and Digging (heh...), but guess what... no 20 FS! And I've been kiling many wolves and wild cats along the way.

Incorrect. Fighting is the easiest skill to level in the game all the way to level 70. You get the biggest ticks per kill while doing it.

I have no idea. But my point is: it shouldn't matter. Both our experiences are anecdotal, but the problem with repairing Guard Towers affects the general PvE population, which I bet does have a lot of players below 20 FS. (Edit: I haven't played much last year, hence no skill increases in the past 12+ months, as we mostly used my wife's account, but I've been playing regularly in 2017 and before).

I understand requiring high FS in order to be able to fight harder foes. After all, it's the whole point of the system.

I do not understand and refuse to accept requiring FS on a level (for whatever the reason) hard to obtain for a chunk of the PvE population to repair something that is absolutely necessary for such people to be safe from mobs they cannot handle by themselves exactly because they have low FS.

Edited by Devean
  • Like 4

Ah the wilful refusal to see another point of view .. always an admirable trait imho.  /(s)

FWIW  imho wurm 's attraction for some people is the possibility of building and crafting, without having to deal with combat, and some people HATE getting killed in game .

now new players have to deal that thing they didnt want to do, if they want to simply repair a guard tower, so their experience is now being dictated to them, instead of being their choice.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Devean said:

As I said, I've been fighting wolves, cats, spiders (with guards), scorpions (with guards), bears (with guards), hell, even trolls (with guards, obviously), and... well:

These are my last two skill increases:

Logging started 2017-02-04 - [12:26:01] Fighting increased  to 13

Logging started 2017-09-24 - [19:38:12] Fighting increased  to 14

And when I started playing on this toon, Golden Valley was not there yet.

7 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

i just killed a hell horse and got .3 fighting on a 20 fighting acc, so you're killing the equivelant of a horse every 2 months worth of skillgain. i'm actually confused how you could get so little skill when you're killing things

is your account bugged or something

Because he is fighting with guards, thats a problem

Tweak for 50-100 players:  CRITICAL

Tweak for the other 800-1200 players:  "Dev efforts should not be wasted on something so insignificant" 

Then people wonder why I can't help cheapshotting certain folks ^_^

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

*raises a ruckus because of terrible customer service*

Your bias is showing! :) This is how I see it:

*Asks politely for ketchup packets.*

*The small crowd of regulars laugh, and say, "you idiot, you should have brought your own."*

*I point out it's customary for burger joints to provide ketchup.*

*Regulars become irate, "this is a fine burger joint, the staff is just too busy to worry about insignificant things like ketchup packets! The problem is you, you, you!"*

*The staff ignores me, the regulars continue to berate me, and I toss the burger in the trash and decide never to come to this lousy burger joint again.*

*fadeout, and show credits*

;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

See, here is where your logic fails. A person "asking politely for ketchup packets" would had made a suggestion in the suggestion forums to have it changed. Instead, op took it to an open discussion in Town Square to show his displeasure, where also everyone else has. Where is the suggestion thread?

Now that sounds bureaucratic! :)

*How rude! I'm a cashier, not the Condiments department!*

*And for the record, I saw nothing impolite in the OP.

Edited by Roccandil

50 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Now that sounds bureaucratic! :)

*How rude! I'm a cashier, not the Condiments department!*

*And for the record, I saw nothing impolite in the OP.

Eff this. I'm sailing to Serenity. 

16 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Eff this. I'm sailing to Serenity. 

Don't forget the ketchup! :)

• Like 1

i have to agree with some of the points here

i think a minimum of 50 fighting should be required so that way you can relate better to the guards you are doing the repairing for

and probably since the tower required a lot of masonry to build, probably even 50 minimum masonry to start a repair action too

• Like 1