Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

20 Fighting Skill Required To Repair Guard Towers

So I made a new alt to check out Haven's Landing. After raising his masonry skill a bit I decided to try to repair some minor damage on a Guard Tower. The message I got was something to the effect that 20 Fighting Skill was required to repair a Guard Tower. As far as I know before this pvp Guard Tower linking update no Fighting Skill at all was required to repair Guard Towers on the PvE servers. This change will be problematic for players building new Guard Towers on the PvE servers since they may care nothing about raising their Fighting Skill but rather just want to build their Guard Tower and then improve it once finished, which will require repairing damage to it while doing so.

Perhaps this is some oversight with the pvp Guard Tower linking system and isn't intended to be a requirement on the PvE servers? Maybe this has gone by unnoticed on the PvE servers and none have mentioned it? Anyway, I wanted to make a post to bring this issue to attention as no doubt as I mentioned it will be problematic to some newer or alt players wanting to improve a Guard Tower that they have built. A totally unnecessary requirement and restriction to be in place upon the PvE servers as it servers no constructive purpose there. If kept on the pvp servers only then yeah I see no problem with it since Fighting Skill is one of the main focus of that playstyle.

=Ayes=

• Like 9

I agree, the fighting skill 20 requirement should be dropped on PvE servers.

• Like 6

This is rather silly on Freedom. Are we meant to be fighting the guards to improve their tower? The fight skill isn't wogical.

• Like 3

The 20 Fightskill requirement was introduced to Chaos years ago to prevent suicide alts from being used to disrupt enemy tower bashes by suiciding into the crowd and spamming repair on the tower.

It's probably not intended to be on freedom. They probably just copied the code over by mistake.

• Like 1

Honestly, getting 20 FS takes like 10 minutes, idk why ur complaining so much

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 10:36 PM, Gladiator said:

Well he's just pointing something out, I don't know why you are complaining about their minor, but justified complaint.

And don't you start complaining about me complaining about you complaining about them complaining.

I think I had a small aneurysm formulating that sentence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Flubb said:

Well he's just pointing something out, I don't know why you are complaining about their minor, but justified complaint.

And don't you start complaining about me complaining about you complaining about them complaining.

I think I had a small aneurysm formulating that sentence.

See? It's an endless cycle

On 12/28/2018 at 3:36 PM, Gladiator said:

I have never reached 20FS in 10 minutes. LOL

On 12/28/2018 at 10:36 PM, Gladiator said:

Actually... I'm playing Wurm for over 20 years, and I haven't hit 20 FS yet. I hate fighting, that's exactly why I build Guard Towers! Requiring FS to repair the towers that are needed to help people with low FS survive the spawns is ridiculous...

• Like 2

if you've played long enough to make enough stuff to make a guard tower you probably already have 20 fs already, i know there'll be a bunch of people that live in some gated community that haven't left deed since wurmageddon that disagree but meh. with 1 repairing you'll actually lower the ql of the guard tower more than what the damage was already effectively doing and there's really no reason for newbies to be attempting to build, imp, or repair towers as they will spend actual days on one that only spawns 1-2 guards when there's already hundreds littering the server that work better. Its one of those dumb things that people will make a huge deal about but has 0 impact on anyones gameplay and everyone will forget about in a week until someone makes the exact same thread 6 months later and everyones mad again

On 1/8/2019 at 7:41 AM, Gylnne said:

I have never reached 20FS in 10 minutes. LOL

10 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration but i did 1-70 in 4h30m, and about 30-40 mins were 1-20 killing unicorns and hell horses in the local steppe with just 70ql leather and a lt huge axe, which is mid-range gear. fighting is insanely fast to level

6 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Its one of those dumb things that people will make a huge deal about but has 0 impact on anyones gameplay and everyone will forget about in a week until someone makes the exact same thread 6 months later and everyones mad again.

Speak for yourself. I have high Masonry and Repairing skills, thank you. And no, I don't have and don't intend to have 20 FS. This mechanic has no place on Freedom.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Devean said:

And no, I don't have and don't intend to have 20 FS

well like, don't build or repair towers then, they take years to decay from 50ql anyway so you're safe if you already built one. If it was a mistake to have the towers require 20fs, surely a dev would have commented in the 3 weeks that the threads been up. Not really sure why purposely handicapping yourself to under 20fs is a thing or how you didnt already get 20fs from towers killing things that attacked you but you have fun chief

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

*agrees with Devean*

The reason I made this post is because it seemed to me to be an unannounced change so I was pointing out what I thought might be the possible cause/effect scenario. It seems an unreasonable imposition to have on the PvE servers in light of players having under 20.00 fighting skill if they have no other interest in fighting mobs. On the PvE servers it takes time to seek out mobs to kill just for the purpose of raising fighting skill in order to improve newly built guard towers by newer players who decide they might have a use for them. This then would be an additional requirement requiring time which they would rather devote to other things.

The point being this is a new change and requirement which makes no sense for PvE gameplay. It goes contrary to the choice of this playstyle in which players may choose to avoid fighting mobs as much as possible. Building guard towers suit this purpose very well as they significantly reduce the need to go out killing mobs to train up fighting skill to kill them; thus, in a significant way this defeats the main purpose of guard towers on the PvE servers. I doesn't take much indepth thought to figure this out. The pvp reasoning/justification does not apply here and on those servers their connectivity, influence and main use are on an entirely different basis which is now misapplied to the PvE servers with this 20.00 fighting skill requirement to repair them.

Sure, it is easy enough for the Devs to shrug this off doing nothing about it since apparently it would take separating this pvp requirement from the PvE servers. The thing is this has significant impact on the PvE servers in the ability to improve guard towers by those who choose to build them. Yes I am immune to this imposition since after playing the game for more years than most I have very gradually raised my fighting skill up way beyond this but the newer player (as well as alt accounts for specific mayoral purposes) are not so fortunate. This change just reduces one of their options for newer player survival in building and improving a guard tower on their deed or within the wilds where they might choose to settle. Then they can later *gradually* build their fighting skill by fighting the mobs that come to invade their area after the tower guards have their aggro on them. This is the way I slowly trained up my fighting skill in the first year rather than to go out specifically searching for mobs to kill and I am sure many on the PvE servers have done and still do the same thing. So if there is no guard tower around they will naturally choose to build and improve one with their masonry skill which they will have raised up to do so. Nothing to do with needing 20.00 fighting skill previously for years past, nor should it be now because of pvp requirements impact.

=Ayes=

• Like 5

It's a sandbox game, the requirement is needlessly restrictive.  Pure skillers (aka non-fighters) are a thing in more than one game.

It's a requirement on Chaos to prevent alt abuse, great, good for Chaos.  There's no need to have it on PvE.

• Like 5

The fact that I now have to hit animals before I sacc them is also  over the top, not all players are here to hit things.

(I have over 70fs on my main, I still don't like to kill my horses)

21 hours ago, Devean said:

Actually... I'm playing Wurm for over 20 years, and I haven't hit 20 FS yet. I hate fighting, that's exactly why I build Guard Towers! Requiring FS to repair the towers that are needed to help people with low FS survive the spawns is ridiculous...

Actually...I've never crafted any items. I like fighting but I don't craft. I hate crafting. that's exactly why I get items from my friends! Requiring weaponsmithing to make weapons that are needed to fight to survive is ridiculous...

See where im getting at? Here's the difference between our 2 comments. You're complaining about 10 minutes of fighting cows that can be done any time you want, while i'm complaining about 100+ hours of smithing. What's ridiculous now?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Actually...I've never crafted any items. I like fighting but I don't craft. I hate crafting. that's exactly why I get items from my friends! Requiring weaponsmithing to make weapons that are needed to fight to survive is ridiculous...

Your analogy is invalid.

1) Weaponsmithing is required to make weapons. Check.

2) Masonry is required to build Guard Towers (to, you know, have someone else to fight for you). Check.

3) Repairing is required to repair Guard Towers. Check.

4) Fighting is required to repair Guar... Wait WHAT?!

It is absolutely ridiculous. While it is obvious you need a smith to make a weapon, it is also obvious you need a skilled mason/repairman to, well, you know... repair? Not a skilled fighter.

• Like 5

I can't see a reason why this should be in place on Freedom where alt repairing towers ain't really a problem.

If people want it removed from PvE then I think it could be removed :)

• Like 3

This is something I struggle with on Chaos too. I can't repair the towers near the deed, and one of them I think has only two guards or so because of damage. I tried to go hunting but got chased by a troll and a hellhound :D

I can't think of a reason this should be a thing on Freedom.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gladiator said:

See where im getting at? Here's the difference between our 2 comments. You're complaining about 10 minutes of fighting cows that can be done any time you want, while i'm complaining about 100+ hours of smithing. What's ridiculous now?

Ok, out with it, Gladys.  What's your desperation to see this restriction kept on Freedom about?

10 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Ok, out with it, Gladys.  What's your desperation to see this restriction kept on Freedom about?

I dont think that he is against the change per se. I think its more about the fact that dev efforts shouldnt be devoted to something so insignificant. 

If you kill a wolf at sub 10 fs it gets you about .40 fs. FS is ridiculously easy to grind to 20 so my guess is he doesnt understand what the fuss is about. He is right on that perspective. But there really is no harm in removing the restriction. All in all is a silly argument that doesnt need to be discussed as much as it is.

Cant repair? Go kill a couple horses and done.

Edited by Angelklaine

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

I think its more about the fact that dev efforts shouldnt be devoted to something so insignificant.

Customer service isn't insignificant.

I'll add that this whole thread is another example of the benefit to having the PvE code and PvP code inherently separate.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

I'll add that this whole thread is another example of the benefit to having the PvE code and PvP code inherently separate.

I am commenting on what I think his point is. Playing devil's advocate so to speak. I don't necesarily agree with his position. Personally I could care less if they flip the switch and allow it to be done either on freedom or chaos. I think 20fs is so easy to get (even on a free to play alt) that it makes absolutely no diffence on either cluster.

And yes, they can make it separate. Its been done with many other mechanics.

47 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Customer service isn't insignificant.

No it isnt. But not all arguments need to be a customer service issue. I mean, we are talking about changing a mechanic over something akin to achieving level 3 on your average rpg game, and stopping your progression because you refuse to level.