Sign in to follow this  
Baid

Gambeson Armor - A unique armor for Priests/Archers

Gambeson

As Scale is to Plate, Drake is to Leather, Gambeson is a greater version of cloth.
Providing the higher base damage than cloth at 52.5% and slightly higher walking speed penalty of cloth at 4%. Gambeson is a unique armor set for Priests and Archers alike!

This armor is crafted from the scraps of loin cloths taken from slain unique humanoids. 
When the Forest giant, Goblin Leader, Kyklops or Troll King falls, premium players obtain scrap of loin cloth by being in local range.

Edited by Baid
Name and stats

It's a nice idea, I like it.

I don't like the name though but some creative spirit could come up with another one.

+1

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Armour
archers/priest can use leather, studded as heavy (no buffs)
drake/scale is -30%

60% reduccion and no speed penality is so op.
lets say broad cloth armour, base reduction damage 50%, walking speed reduction 7-9%, archery/casting +15%
leather give 60% reduction + 30% bonus, is OP already. probably need nerf the archery/casting buff

armours got a buff some time ago...

Edited by tamat
  • Like 1

I'd hope it to work with the buff of 30% and vary from there as an improvement to cloth. Would be fun to see a new armor type added and cloth really should have an advanced set

I agree with the advanced cloth, but disagree with the suggested stats. I'm sure this can be tweaked, but its a good idea.

• Like 1

If its split between everyone in local the same way drake/scale is, that just incentives not having public slayings for humanoids which i'm not really a fan of. New armor types are always cool though.

• Like 1

here's the problem. Scale alraedy has the movement speed of someone naked . How fast will this be? Faster than someone naked? Scale needs to be nerfed before this can be a thing

In general I agree, we need high-end armour sets for priests and archers though I would change the details in the OP's post.

Current situation is that we have scale and drake armour, but both count as heavy armour and are thus unsuited for priests and archers because they get a penalty to spellcasting and archery while wearing it. That's why my character Timothymarker uses a plain leather set. Design goal of any new armour set must be that it counts as light armour for game mechanics. However, it will be difficult to design an armour set that captures the needs of both casters and archers and likely even more difficult to make it look right for both professions graphically. Can't have archers that look like priests! Thus we really need two new armour sets:

1. A set based off plain leather (leatherworking) with some high-end materials from uniques to make an archer's high-end armour set. I'd suggest to give this set a bonus to archery and spellcasting of 25%, the current cloth and plain leather sets provide 30%.
  2. A set based off cloth (cloth tailoring) with some high-end materials from uniques to make a priests high-end armour set. I'd suggest to give this set a bonus of 40% to spellcasting and a bonus of 25% to archery.

5 hours ago, Gladiator said:

here's the problem. Scale alraedy has the movement speed of someone naked . How fast will this be? Faster than someone naked? Scale needs to be nerfed before this can be a thing

Scale is considered heavy armor, though, so it's bad for casting and archery.

24 minutes ago, armyskin said:

remove all speed restrictions for all armours

speed is not the problem in this case, but base damage and enchant/archery bonus

+1 to general idea. I'd like to see metal-weave cloth armor (cloth woven with wires, to give it strength or special properties).

Also, I kinda wish Oakshell was an armor enchant, acting like Forest Giant Strength, to increase armor DR on a curve depending on existing DR (so it would help out cloth a lot, while doing very little, if anything, to rare scale).

Edited by Roccandil

Alot of very good points, I love the name idea Niki.. i changed the suggested name to the one you suggested and adjusted the suggested stats slightly.

6 hours ago, Niki said:

Correct term is Gambeson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson

and yeah +1

Weren't there like 4 different item types that were laid out/described a few years back?

Spoiler

13b0a1743a.png

Where are those?

I like more variety tho, as long as it's in it's place and not the new overall meta.

Edited by Oreo

4 hours ago, Oreo said:

Weren't there like 4 different item types that were laid out/described a few years back?

Hide contents

13b0a1743a.png

Where are those?

I like more variety tho, as long as it's in it's place and not the new overall meta.

ring arent normal chain armour?

1 hour ago, tamat said:

ring arent normal chain armour?

a quick google search shows me that its more of a leather piece, with rings on it

Spoiler

MY100511.png

6 hours ago, Baid said:

Alot of very good points, I love the name idea Niki.. i changed the suggested name to the one you suggested and adjusted the suggested stats slightly.

Now the only problem is that Gambeson doesn't need any special cloth material, it is made bey stiching several layers ot ordinary cloth pieces ;)