Sign in to follow this  
Gladiator

Useless christmas gifts

3 hours ago, Maiya said:

I wish devs keept track of those not liking xmas presents and only gave 1ql charcoal in present the next year to those 

cant understand how someone can complain for a free gift ?

I allways wonder if they do same on IRL xmas presents 

I thought this was a mechanic once tbh

also obligatory

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

If I can get a couple more snowmen,, I'll arrange them in a circle with a campfire in the middle lol

• Like 1

Be happy you got one at all. There is no obligation for them to hand out gifts.

This is an ongoing theme of disappointment because we know you can do better and you choose not to.  It would be one thing if this was 1996 and other games hadn't set the precedent of giving creative, well thought out, and entertaining gifts to reward their customers for continuing to play their game.  Besides the mere entertainment value of a useful gift, you have the people that are willing to show their appreciation for the creativity by opening or reinstating several accounts to receive more gifts.  This inexpensive marketing ploy is stymied when you do yule goats or snowmen or question mark knapsacks.

How to do it correctly:  https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/holiday-gifts/christmas-gifts/  

One gift token per active account and you get to choose one item from the list, if you want them all you have to have more active accounts.  Some items are deco and some are more functional, there is usually something for every playstyle and even the giftboxes vary in color, shape and size with some being more rare than others.  The entire Dev Team for UO consists of about 7 people.  They give gift tokens multiple times per year, holidays and anniversaries.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kronic said:

Be happy you got one at all. There is no obligation for them to hand out gifts.

This is a very flawed mentality. Although you are right and the dev team doesnt have to do anything, many people prem alts to get these Christmas gifts. True, devs dont have to do anything. They dont have to provide new content, they dont have to fix bugs and they dont have to make cool christmas gifts. But by the same token players dont have to pay for premium. Its a double edged sword.

As for the gift, yes it could had been better. I for one am happy it makes snowballs as I said I would be above. Others are not and that is also understandable. See it as constructive criticism. Players are not required to be grateful. They are customers and this is not a free to play game. 

Thanks devs for the gifts this year! Looking forward to the next, and Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

I dig it.  

Of course, Ill probably make a one room sweatshop for them :)

• Like 1

I think I would like the model more without the hat.  It's probably going to look pretty out of place for the rest of the year. :) 

Bring back the top hat model, that was cool. :D 

Maybe each year we'll get a different member of the snowman 'family' to collect. :P 

Just winding you up :) 

Edited by Muse

My priest cant secure his snowman(no digging skill) so it havent give snowball either while same time secured snowman has done that.... work as intended?

I managed to get my Nahjo to 10 digging today, I think all priests can dig now.

People in this thread need a visit from this guy

• Like 2

I don't mind the decorative Christmas gifts, but it'd be nice to have something that I could display all year... I mean, you normally wouldn't give someone a Christmas-themed gift just because it's Christmas, right?

It's like if someone comes to your house and sees your Christmas tree is out on display in mid-June. Who's not gonna think "oh, you're all ready for Christmas...?".

The Saddle Sacks were nice, maybe a way to dye the bows would be cool.

The Yule Goat and Reindeer are neat, but they're really more of a festive decoration...

The Picnic Basket is ok...(I personally haven't used mine since the pizzas I make are too big for it)

The Gnomes are pretty good decoration all year, as well as small storage.

The Snow Lantern was a great idea but implemented poorly imo considering it's heavier than a normal lamp and can't be dyed.

Fireworks were meh.

Transmutation Liquid was only really good for the bottle it came in.

Some of the old old items, like the Sculpting Wand are pretty much phased out by mechanics.

Farwalker amulets were pretty OP from what I've heard.

Spyglasses are now handed out as loyalty rewards (there goes the market).

Bag of Keeeping, I never used one, but I'm pretty sure these were the best of all the gifts.

I mean, you can kinda see what's been happening with the gifts following more of a theme recently...

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Category:Gifts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muse said:

I think I would like the model more without the hat.  It's probably going to look pretty out of place for the rest of the year. :) 

Bring back the top hat model, that was cool. :D 

Maybe each year we'll get a different member of the snowman 'family' to collect. :P 

Just winding you up :) 

Yeah different models of family to collect is nice idea, I remember loving collections of different family's from kinder eggs it was so interesting to collect them all :)

• Like 1

I agree with the OP, aside from being a little useless and for those too lazy to pick their own snowballs... and come on lets face it the odds of a star gem dropping is probably neglectful so lets just say that you get snowballs from this thing. It's very out of place the rest of the year.. it's a damn snowman lol. But it was free (not really since you need to be premium to enjoy this "gift") If wurm can't get you into your holiday spirit then maybe some time with the family will, in the end these are just yearly junk gift we tend to ignore and take for granted anyway so there is no need to be upset or call people ungrateful over some pixels.

• Like 1

TY Sn00!

it really sux, the holidays, with no friends and family in RL.... 

You all are wonderful but sitting all alone in RL during this season is terrible.

...back to the point of this thread.. whats 10 digging skill needed for?

Planting/securing.

I also got no other gift, as usual.

Edit:

No I actually got a Rare Pickaxe and a rare rake of Whereami, and a Roach from eh...

IG gifts.

Edited by Cecci

2 hours ago, Cecci said:

No I actually got a Rare Pickaxe and a rare rake of Whereami, and a Roach from eh...

IG gifts.

people are mailing random fish?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tamat said:

yes i got a fish

I like the snowmen myself and appreciate the thought devs. Curious if anyone gets anything else show up in the hands after removing the snowball or whatever they got the first time?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tamat said:

4 hours ago, Niki said:

yes i got a fish

Yes, it's Fishmas. I got a roach myself, directly from our good friend Borneas

21 hours ago, CrazyDad543 said:

If I can get a couple more snowmen,, I'll arrange them in a circle with a campfire in the middle lol

b4f115ded602753b84e3fa230c899d37.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, KyleBooze said:

but where are you going to put them when the Holiday season is over?

Holiday season is never over :) Just keep them on deed because you can get the snowballs and throw an innocent passer by.

6 hours ago, Madnath said:

Yes, it's Fishmas. I got a roach myself, directly from our good friend Borneas

Got a roach too..