Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Mission system overhaul + fatigue change

Mission system is pretty old, it was recently improved upon but it still lacks a lot of drive from players to do it. Karma is a vital resource these days still and most people hate it. 

So here is what I've been thinking and others in discord. It should be more in lines with the new journal system but on a weekly reset. Missions are more random and it pulls from a long list. Kill 10 trolls, Sac a rare, get a rare drumroll, hug 10 chickens etc, sac 10 decent cloth gloves. These missions would each give karma for doing them and a big bonus amount of karma for finishing your weekly missions. Never again are you going to get beat by someone who has 100 decent saddles already. Missions should be toned down in difficulty as well. Stuff that requires tons of people or resources shouldn't. Mission structures are easier to make and the difficulty is easier to attach while on a mission.

This would also put a end to some nonsense like traitor penning, mission champion penning as well. This behavior which prevents people from finishing missions is kind of a huge problem at the moment. Mission champion creature spawns should be another thing that can be fixed, I suggest that any creature has the potential of being spawned as a champion or traitor randomly in the wild this includes, Champion Chickens, Hellhounds, Lava Fiend etc. In general ramp up champ spawns to accommodate this change.

Fatigue should be reworked, but I have no solutions to that as of yet, please post what you think? 

Edited by Niki

I'd like to see missions work for low pop as well as high pop environments, and individual missions seems like a good way to do it. It's -your- mission, and no one else can mess with it. On Epic, however, mission length is determined by god map movements, so weekly resets probably wouldn't work there.

I'd also like to see the following (at least on Epic):

- Spend karma to reset a mission still at 1% completion;

- Partial rewards for partially-completed missions.

Fatigue seems like a completely different subject. Maybe a new topic for that one?

Edited by Roccandil
  • Like 1

Oh, the other thing I'd like to see:

- Some kind of credit for sleep powder when your sleep bonus is already full.

Not getting sleep bonus because I'm already max is perhaps the number one reason I don't bother with missions when the Valrei scenario looks bad for my god. If the SB award could be converted into some kind of credit for sleep powder coupons, I'd be more interested.

• Like 4

I am inclined to agree with Niki and it would be nice to have the option to get 1k karma from a sleep powder or 1 hour SB (option to choose). All I know is there needs to be an easier way to get karma especially on PVE and when sorcery spells cost so much. I had fun using my first sorcery spells in the arena at the impalong. However, now it seems I'm stuck with no karma for god knows how long. That is, unless I pay to buy source off somebody or find a source spring (doubtful).

The idea of dailies/weeklys in wurm make me cringe a bit. Managing your deed and what not is already a daily/weekly thing, and those with limited time would see themselves not being able to partake in this. The people with all the time in the world will have no issues though. Although the instant reward for completing whatever amount would most likely mean they'd have time at least to do one. I'd like to see something like this indeed but with more thought behind it for sure.

52 minutes ago, Legios said:

The idea of dailies/weeklys in wurm make me cringe a bit. Managing your deed and what not is already a daily/weekly thing, and those with limited time would see themselves not being able to partake in this. The people with all the time in the world will have no issues though. Although the instant reward for completing whatever amount would most likely mean they'd have time at least to do one. I'd like to see something like this indeed but with more thought behind it for sure.

No doubt! Dailies in other MMO's are very frequently underwhelming and I personally have been trained to dread them. With Wurm, it's even harder as the gameplay loop for each player differs substantially. Giving a player a goal to slay a creature when they have no interest in combat is a terrible idea, for example!

So, since we're here, let's give it our best shot. If daily or weekly missions were added, what would you want them to look like? How would you make it appeal to the player it's given to? What type of objectives would suffice for both a casual player who logs in a few hours a week while also working for those who spend more than 24 hours per day grinding?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

No doubt! Dailies in other MMO's are very frequently underwhelming and I personally have been trained to dread them. With Wurm, it's even harder as the gameplay loop for each player differs substantially. Giving a player a goal to slay a creature when they have no interest in combat is a terrible idea, for example!

So, since we're here, let's give it our best shot. If daily or weekly missions were added, what would you want them to look like? How would you make it appeal to the player it's given to? What type of objectives would suffice for both a casual player who logs in a few hours a week while also working for those who spend more than 24 hours per day grinding?

Could always allow players to choose the category and difficulty of their own mission spawns. Crafters could always get crafting missions, for instance, while casuals could choose one-week missions, with lower rewards, whereas hardcore grinders could choose 24-hour missions of the same kind, but with higher rewards.

(I'm assuming the actual missions would remain much as they are now.)

I do not find the recent mission system that bad altogether as it has a lot of varying tasks and challenges. I would like it to be complemented by additional tasks but not given up in the recent ways.

As to fatigue, I never really understood that one, would not miss it.

Edited by Ekcin

Karma seems largely irrelevant for non sorcerers and noobs.   Whats good for noobs is corpse retrieval and teleport home.   But plenty of noobs might find most missions outside thier range.  Lots of skillsets that they wont possess for a while, including cross country hunting.   

What rewards are good for new, mid, and late players? Instead of one reward for all, rewards/difficulty should be relative to skill levels?

I like the SP overflow in to powder, but I can quickly see that wrecking SP value as system gets manipulated - (alts loaded already with max SB).   One coveted item is source.   It can be difficult to locate, and locked down when found.   Source salts or crystals as reward? But... that can be easily hoarded in large numbers and wreck markets etc.  In another way, that might allow some to enter a marketplace that they lack other skills to compete in yet.  

If the results of missions were more relevant to me, I would be more inclined to actively pursue them.  Right now, depending on my SB amt, I might do it based on ease or likelihood of completion.   

As an after thought, adding from a comment I made on another post, incorporating mission chains that build on one another in the form of a hero/antihero mission chain.   Missions that may cancel another out to thwart an end result of a specific god while promoting the end result of your chosen one.  Or an over arcing chain that requires clever thinking or high level skills to complete.   These may take you from one server to the next, utilizing a wide range of skillsets.  End result may require a herculean effort that results in a hero/antihero status depending on path you took.  I am thinking in terms of hercules trials, or the odyssey.

Also,

- priest specific missions 

- missions that only appear to players above or below a specific level in a skill.  

-mission for meditation with skill reward

- so on and so forth

Edited by Arishok