Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Personal Goals Shutdown

13 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Then you can relax while the rest of us finish our personal goals.  Nobody is going to hand you a free tome, you have to work for it.  Buy your sap, buy your grapes, pay someone to stand there and bash a fence/wall if you have to.  The goals you listed should take no more than a week to do, 10 days if you pick your own grapes.

As for everyone else complaining about the termination of personal goals, this was announced months ago as Retro said above.  

I currently have the wine and the 99ql imp left. No i wont buy my way to this. If i wanted the tome, and would buy my way to it, i would just buy the charges.

I could buy a toon that has the goals and tomes and whatnot also.

Heck. I could hire someone to make a game for me, and then hire them to play it. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

I currently have the wine and the 99ql imp left. No i wont buy my way to this. If i wanted the tome, and would buy my way to it, i would just buy the charges.

I could buy a toon that has the goals and tomes and whatnot also.

Heck. I could hire someone to make a game for me, and then hire them to play it. :)

Right ?. Don't forget to hire somebody to watch you playing then ?.

• Like 1

There will always be someone who started too late to get full benefit from something before it goes away.  Should AFK fishing be extended because someone just started a month ago and wants easy fishing skilling?  Of course not!  It's tough for you that you fall into this crack, but it's not a surprise at all that personal goals are going away - as others have pointed out, it was clearly announced literally months ago.  You still have a reasonable stab at completing in the time left, if you choose to do that; you don't even need to buy anything, if you prefer to do the work yourself.  Ultimately, unless you're planning to head off to pvp lands, the reward is basically personal fulfillment (which is entirely up to you) and bragging rights only - tomes are basically epeen and character decoration on freedom.  Ultimately, it's a sandbox, so your goals are what you set for yourself.

In short, no, the deadline should not be extended because you need more time to finish.  If you really want to get a tome in the time remaining, you can, otherwise move on to something else.

• Like 1

I think i need to make it clear that im not against the change, first of all. I think the new system seems quite good, actually. And i love that the devs are doing stuff with the first impression of the game.

Secondly, i didnt start on these goals a month or two ago. I started right away when they got changed, but due to lack of time ingame i havent been able to imp something to 99ql. A quick look at when i created this forum acoount should tell you that i started even before that - but before the change i didnt really have an ambition to make all the personal goals. Some of the goals back then were simply not in the range of my area of play in the game.

Im not angry or sad that i wont get the tome either, the market has been overflowing with those guys the past months. If i wanted some, i could just buy some.

I also accept the fact that there will be an end to the "old" personal goals system. I just want to know if there is a reason for the date, or if its a real problem to let people finish them (only the toons who have started).

But as usual when someone comes up with a suggestion or request, there are people who will try drag the topic to something quite different, and often irrelevant. Im not referring to everyone who has replied to the topic here, tho. Some actually has a few good points.

If we just could be relevant here - is there a real reason for not letting people finish it? Other than "Nope, you should either play the game more or buy yourself to titles and riches. And by the way, i dont care cause ive already done em!"-kind of answer.

Now, if you dont mind, i have a couple of hours to do some imping of my mallet. Lets see how high i can get it until the first of february! :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nordlys said:

If we just could be relevant here - is there a real reason for not letting people finish it?

Have you any idea how many accounts have been created with personal goals in the last 10 years?

If we're going to extend personal goal completion to everyone who's "working on it".... then I have about 10 non-prem alts that chopped a few trees down to start their personal goals about 4 years ago, I should be able to spend the next 7 years getting their goals done.  Right?  Right?

No.  There needs to be a line drawn in the sand.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Have you any idea how many accounts have been created with personal goals in the last 10 years?

If we're going to extend personal goal completion to everyone who's "working on it".... then I have about 10 non-prem alts that chopped a few trees down to start their personal goals about 4 years ago, I should be able to spend the next 7 years getting their goals done.  Right?  Right?

No.  There needs to be a line drawn in the sand.  

This reductio ad absurdum does not hold more water than the new fishing nets except that of course granting indefinite prolongation . The discussion is not about indefinite extension but about a few weeks allowing those who are nearly done to accomplish the task. Granted that some people have thrown in the idea of indefinite prolongation for those who started the goals, and I do not deem that a good idea. Indeed, it would be hard to figure with a large part of the goals who has just played along and finished the one or the other goal, and who has intended to accomplish all if any "solved" goal would count.

But that is a strawman altogether, nearly everybody agreed that it deals with an opportunity to get the stuff ready without undue stress and haste for those who are already widely done with the goals and have put a lot of effort into completing them.

Personally, I could have of course postponed my canal project, skipped Lunalong and Shrimpalong to get the goals ready earlier. It is even doubtful that such would have helped so much. The sad thing is that the haste imposed widely prevents to enjoy Christmas and New Year events (if there are any), and evaluate the new fishing system in depth, or start a new alt to learn about the new starting area and tutorial. I fail to consider that other than inconsiderate from the devs. To me it seems that they have forgotten about the deadline during the whole big work of fishing and priest overhaul, and the new starting area, and now are bringing it to an end by force.

3 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

This reductio ad absurdum does not hold more water than the new fishing nets except that of course granting indefinite prolongation . The discussion is not about indefinite extension but about a few weeks allowing those who are nearly done to accomplish the task. Granted that some people have thrown in the idea of indefinite prolongation for those who started the goals, and I do not deem that a good idea. Indeed, it would be hard to figure with a large part of the goals who has just played along and finished the one or the other goal, and who has intended to accomplish all if any "solved" goal would count.

But that is a strawman altogether, nearly everybody agreed that it deals with an opportunity to get the stuff ready without undue stress and haste for those who are already widely done with the goals and have put a lot of effort into completing them.

Personally, I could have of course postponed my canal project, skipped Lunalong and Shrimpalong to get the goals ready earlier. It is even doubtful that such would have helped so much. The sad thing is that the haste imposed widely prevents to enjoy Christmas and New Year events (if there are any), and evaluate the new fishing system in depth, or start a new alt to learn about the new starting area and tutorial. I fail to consider that other than inconsiderate from the devs. To me it seems that they have forgotten about the deadline during the whole big work of fishing and priest overhaul, and the new starting area, and now are bringing it to an end by force.

Just no.  You complain about straw men, then say that having to rush to finish your goals means you can't enjoy fishing or the new tutorials?  Unless you've somehow heard something nobody else has, neither of those are going anywhere; in fact, fishing will probably be a whole lot better in a month or so, once the initial launch bugs have been fixed!  So the devs are actually doing you a favour by giving you something else to focus on during the fishing teething trouble, so not only do you get to look forward to giving it a go, when you do, you'll get an even better experience than the folks rushing in at launch.

No matter what deadline is chosen, no matter how far in advance it's publicised, there will always be someone who's "almost finished".  There was no shortage of notification that the end was coming, and 6 weeks is plenty of notice that it's here.  With the greatest of respect, I suggest that if you've decided that completing these (completely artificial) goals really matters to you, you spend less time complaining about them and put the same effort into actually completing them.  There are plenty of people here who will offer suggestions on how to do that most efficiently, too.

• Like 2

Sorry, but right another strawman. It is silly to deny that the 6 weeks deadline, after a groundbreaking patch which put a lot of activities on hold for days if not a week, and just inside the christmas and new year period, is ridiculously short, and does not reflect user activities and demands during that period. It would even be unduly short without the large patch and without the christmas season. And the core petition is not about

I have worked in system administration for decades, and have a lot of respect for the job the devs and GM are doing. But so completely ignoring the user side situation is simply unprofessional. Of course some people may have uttered exaggerated wishes such as an extension for months, or even indefinitely. But it is part of good and balanced administrative work to distinguish between exaggerated and justified demands.

It is ridiculous if not openly insulting to say it would be so good not to touch the new changes for weeks until the devs have evened out problems in it. It is part of the cooperative work of improving the game to "rush" into new developments.

We set the 6 week countdown out of a decision built around being just outside the 1 month premium most alts will have, meaning players could not rush their alts to finish it before it closed.

This left mostly legitimate players 6 weeks to finish it, which is an achieveable level from start to finish. 

We will not be changing the deadline, we communicated that it would not be a system around ,and that there would be around a months warning before it's removal. That is done, as we said it would be. 

• Like 3

ok. thanks Retrograde. I would like to close the discussion here.