Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Personal Goals Shutdown

6 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Wouldnt disabling the old personal goals for new toons fix this problem?

Locking the goals only for new players would mean that the goal system had to remain in place for infinite time. I understand very well that the devs want to get rid of that legacy once the new journal system has finally taken off. Anyway, there is a transitional overlapping period already, and I fail to understand the haste. From Retrograde's post I feel that the devs and GM are adamant about and made it to a matter of prestige not to make any concessions. The accusation to have left it to the last minute sounds arrogant and respectless to me, though.

I don't see that a moderate extension of the deadline would harm the new journal system. Also, it might be possible to grant some overtime to those who already completed most of the goals, say, all but 3 or 5 or so. But well, if not, we cannot change it. I shall try to get everything done in time, and certainly without pay to win.

• Like 1

I equate the Personal Goals end date to logging in just as the server is shutting down; sucks if you just logged in, or you're in the middle of something, but there's no feasible way to get the work done in a timely manner *and* make sure every person in the game is sorted. (I'm one of the folks soooo close to getting those last couple of goals, but not likely to hit them, so I do understand the frustration.)

The journal system seems much better, and a bit more intuitive for folks who've played other games. My only real question is if the rewards are comparable?

3 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

+1 I have the same problem. Finding the mats and then doing the task to press and mix and cook the maple sap on top of which it takes a week to ferment.  I am also still working on the 6250 fence repairs, for which I need to find fences decayed enough to repair.  Please extend to middle of next year.

You can catapult or treb fences to do the repair goal.

For the fence repair goal, make a woven fence (just takes wood scrap), then bash/repair/bash/repair/etc. You only need wood scrap to repair, and unlike other fence types, you can combine the scrap for much less clicky operations.

If you have an alt that can bash while you repair, so much the better.

• Like 1

As for the time that has been stated, if you haven't finished personal goals on any toons that is because you were not working hard enough on it. I know quite a few players who do not play very much at all that have managed to finish personal goals on a toon, and that includes repair and grape in at least 2 cases.

What I am basically saying is, either get your crap together and get your goals done or give up and stop whining about it. It is getting old that in a game that is focused on grinding and what not... you are complaining because you are required to do some of that to get a good reward.

Edited by necroe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

Wouldnt disabling the old personal goals for new toons fix this problem?

This. I dont see where it  should offend anyone to let someone who just started to have a chance at finishing it. Not like its hurting anyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, necroe said:

What I am basically saying is, either get your crap together and get your goals done or give up and stop whining about it. It is getting old that in a game that is focused on grinding and what not... you are complaining because you are required to do some of that to get a good reward.

What you are basically showing is that you lack respect and manners.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, necroe said:

As for the time that has been stated, if you haven't finished personal goals on any toons that is because you were not working hard enough on it.

I play Wurm to relax, not to work. Stating that if someone did not achieve fixing over 6k fences and making 5k litres of wine (so you needed to plant the grapes and have the skill to harvest enough the seasons we had plus have the maples plus the time to cook it to syrup plus the mats to make the barrels and wait for the fermentations to occur) plus looking for and killing 100 unis and 100 lava fiends (starting before they were "fixed") and imping something to 99, or failed for three weeks (sitting on a ship fishing non stop on the previous system where it was actually "easy" to keep fishing) to catch the 175 kg with 90 fishing and a rare pole... in the last 5 months they should have "worked harder"...makes it sound like this is a job. I have worked on the goals, and achieved all but two.  I guess I should have worked harder.

Edited by Fairyshine

Its a personal goal not a personal requirement, tomes aren't a necessity to enjoy the game. If you cant put in the grind, then don't expect rewards.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Its a personal goal not a personal requirement, tomes aren't a necessity to enjoy the game. If you cant put in the grind, then don't expect rewards.

This right here these goals are not that hard to do really yes they require time and investment but they are not a requirement to enjoy wurm

A lot of players rushed to finish these goals when they announced the goals would go away and a lot of my friends got burned out due to it and even now months later a few havent returned we have a total of 9 months to complete them if you invest 1-2 hours a week on then even the most difficult of goals can be completed if you had started in time that is the reality of it

To complain about it now after we where told a billion times already they would go away(some even thought they would go away when the priest update hits) is just stupid and shows you care more about "i need this" over "this is good for the game" the new system will help new players a lot more then the current goal system ever has im happy they gave us till feb to finish it as it means i can finish some of my alts their goals

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

I play Wurm to relax, not to work. Stating that if someone did not achieve fixing over 6k fences and making 5k litres of wine (so you needed to plant the grapes and have the skill to harvest enough the seasons we had plus have the maples plus the time to cook it to syrup plus the mats to make the barrels and wait for the fermentations to occur) plus looking for and killing 100 unis and 100 lava fiends (starting before they were "fixed") and imping something to 99 in the last 5 months they should have "worked harder"...makes it sound like this is a job. I have worked on the goals, and achieved all but two.  I guess I should have worked harder.

Yes you should have. That is all there is to it. Things do not just fall into peoples lap anywhere you have to work at what you got. Don't tell me you play this game to relax, you have a large nice deed if not multiple, lots of nice things and a crap ton of horses. If you put the effort into this that you did the rest of your game play then you would have finished. I for one have seen you put forward effort in this game that could be applied to personal goals.

I did the 100 unicorns before the change to make they were "fixed" and they have been "fixed" for quite a long time now.

Have done the wine goal on 5 toons, helped alot of others with it. I have done the repair goal 6 times now. Again you have to put forward the effort to get the reward.

The lava fiend one is no where near as hard as you make it out to seem, it just requires you to go out and look for them and put effort into it.

As for the 99 goal, i managed to do this one on a fresh toon on epic in 6 days with no sleep bonus or coc, you are just as capable of this. As well on two other toons that had a 91+ skill, one being a plate helm, one being a mallet.

You have actively played this game for years you have no excuse for not being able to complete them except that you haven't put in the time to do so.

As for anyone that came back recently or a new player, sorry to say it this way but this is how wurm is. You have missed many opportunities in the past and will miss many more in future if you don't get on them right away.

Two of my friends that finished their personal goals are legitimately limited on their abilities and time in this game due to rl health conditions and they still managed to get their goals done.

If instead of complaining about this you would like good pointers or tips on how to get the goal done faster let me know, I am glad to share what I know.

Edited by necroe
  • Like 2

I should be able to finish goals before February so I am very fortunate in those regards as I know some people who have been diligently working on goals when they have time that will not be able to do so.  My only real gripe with the announced ETA is that it is such a short window.  I personally only restarted playing a couple months before it was announced the system would be canned so I didn't even bother with the goals (I figured they'd be gone in a couple months), it was only around September that I realized this was something I could achieve.  Again I almost didn't go for it because of the looming spector of their disappearance and all that work being for naught (who really wants to make 5000 litre of wine if not for a reward).  The one thing that kept me going though was that in the Valrei International 061, Retrograde stated, "As previously mentioned, there are plans for a completely new system to replace this one, though there is no ETA on it, so get in and get that title before it goes away!"  I assumed that when the ETA was finally mentioned it would be a reasonable window.  Instead we were left in the dark and the rug was abruptly pulled out from under us.  That seems like pretty poor planning and not very respectful of the effort that players were making.

I shall jolly well expect my title on 1st February 2019.

" You have not completed all your personal goals, and may not feel any closure.

You have received the title: 'Loser'.

You have received a Journal! "

Just kidding! :P 

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that there are some goals that require a certain unique to spawn.  Since I started trying to complete my goals shortly after they were simplified to actually be doable I have not been able to attend a Troll King event.  They really don't spawn all that often. I could be wrong but I only know of 1 actually since I've been watching for it. The hunt was public but short notice and I missed even knowing about it till a few hours after it was over.   I don't count the one on Xan that has been there for years and I equally don't count Epic after having a conversation with a couple of very well known and experienced Epic players on how difficult it would be to accomplish it there.

All my other goals are done, including the 99ql item and the wine.  I'm an experience player so they weren't that hard for me.  For a new player, good luck trying to do them without playing Wurm 24x7 for months.

Despite the fact that I only have one left that is largely totally out of my control I feel, I say shut it down now.  Just end it.  Done.  Finished.  Over with.  Move on.

On the other hand, if it is going to be left to linger perhaps the Devs could pull a few strings and make sure enough uniques spawn so that we all have a chance to participate in killing what we need or give me an option to swap that one out for a "harder" one that I can actually control if it gets done or not.

I would like very much if this thread would remain civilized as most of the posts have been so far. It is neither the place for toxicity, flaming and accusing others to be "whining" nor to brag about how perfectly oneself has completed the goals. It is also not the place for polemics against devs and GM (if there should be one anytime else).

It is clear that the goals, like much else in the game, require efforts and grind. Therefore, it is well possible that casual and not overly experienced players never had a chance to do them. And I agree to Oblivion that they are not requirements. Personally, i even have no clear idea what a tome, should I win or might have won one, would be good for, so I do not miss anything if I do not get it. There may be opportunities in the future to get one on other ways, or not.

The point is that the deadline set seems to be somewhat abrupt, and not overly fair to those who have progressed quite a lot already. And I do not see the need of a really long postponement, in my opinion, some 4 to 8 weeks would suffice given that requirements like e.g. making possible the lacking uniques etc. having been available before shutdown have been met.

To make this clear again, the decision is with the devs and the GM. It is not with those who ask, ideally politely and respectfully, for an extension, and even less with those insulting them as whiners.

Edited by Ekcin
grammar fix

I know. I meant 4+ weeks extension from the announced shutdown date.

52 minutes ago, GoldFever said:

On the other hand, if it is going to be left to linger perhaps the Devs could pull a few strings and make sure enough uniques spawn so that we all have a chance to participate in killing what we need

a5ffd0539f9b392182c9379238e0d97c.png

2 more that aren't there due to being dead or w/e, so that's 6 uniques in the last 3 days since the patch. Uniques spawn on average of every 21 days each server, so that's 12-18 more uniques before the goals are removed, and with LITW hitting uniques hunting xanadu isn't a pipe dream anymore so it's possible the TK could be found on xana before then. Killing uniques on epic isn't that hard either, gary and sme used to kill them with all their alts, just need a few actual players with enchanted huge axes and a bunch of alts with huge axes to stack CR and slap em around. Stats are curved so getting them to effective 50 huge axe skill wouldn't take any time at all

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We gave 6 weeks from the update

Plenty of time.

• Like 1

My issue with this is that you can no longer get a tome from the new system. Seems a bit harsh on new players.

I dont play this game to be told that i have to finish something in a certain amount of time. I play the game for the long-time achievements. I cannot understand the downside of letting people who already started their way on the goals to finish them.

Seems like this topic is getting a bit ill tho, unfortunatly. I think its a valid point here.

9 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

+1 I have the same problem. Finding the mats and then doing the task to press and mix and cook the maple sap on top of which it takes a week to ferment.  I am also still working on the 6250 fence repairs, for which I need to find fences decayed enough to repair.  Please extend to middle of next year.

Cata or bash the walls ;) use wood scrap and woven

6 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

I play Wurm to relax, not to work.   *snip*

Then you can relax while the rest of us finish our personal goals.  Nobody is going to hand you a free tome, you have to work for it.  Buy your sap, buy your grapes, pay someone to stand there and bash a fence/wall if you have to.  The goals you listed should take no more than a week to do, 10 days if you pick your own grapes.

As for everyone else complaining about the termination of personal goals, this was announced months ago as Retro said above.  

Considering the thought that they will be removed lingering all the time I'm glad that they will be removed. I finished personal goals on 4 characters I think, all 4 had repairing fences, one making wine, 2 imp to 99(for one I imped mallet to 99 since I had 97 carp skill for second one I payed person 5s grinded stonecutting to 60 for few days and with help of that person did it in few hours on epic), I've sold grapes and maple for atleast 2 more goals, watched for public slayings, went to them just with unpremmed alt and missed opportunity for blood with main since I can run only one client at slayings with my machine.. Now i am close to finish with my priest too because I waited for update so I can repair, and need to finish caravel with 1 shipbuilding skill (probably will invest in grinding by attaching to rowboat since can't imp still). I don't consider myself hardcore player, I work 8+ h daily, travel 2 hours to work and from work in total, have to shower, eat, sleep 8h a day. I have very little social life that's true, most of my time free I spend on my girlfriend if I have one at the moment and playing Wurm when I can so I don't have that much time for Wurm but still I managed to do all that. Finishing personal goals gives some great rewards but require great effort and are not requirement to play the game simple as that. I burned out after finishing mine but could finish them with relatively small period of time once I set that as my priority. Wurm has always been about windows of opportunities and that's not likely to change. You get some you loose some. The line had to be drawn somewhere and I think from this moment  line must be shorter than 3 months.

Other solution that is maybe more fair would be to keep old system in parallel indefinitely and to raise bar to 6-12 months of premium so only real players can do it in time without rush.

New journal system looks cool I just hope tasks for next tiers would be harder and more rewarding and more priest friendly if you are priest.