Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Personal Goals Shutdown

Hello, I think the shutdown date of personal goals as announced in the last patch notes is too short. Main concern are the really long lasting tasks, especially the 5k litres of wine. They are dependent on season, and within a season, only a limited number of grapes can be harvested. And the announcement of personal goals shutdown leaves only one harvest season to occur until February 1st. More exactly: Even if there is a second season before (not sure), the time for pressing, creating, and fermenting would never suffice for the yield of a second grape season.

For the full 5k litres, a minimum of 9260 grapes (and an equivalent of maple sap harvests) is needed (in fact bit more as one has losses during pressing). That is not possible in a single season, even if the player would harvest day and night and do nothing else. 

There was no time to realize that, and to adapt to. That is particularly unfair towards players who started this year or few earlier, and had been struggling with all the complexities of Wurm since, the personal goals coming to their attention only later in the year. Same goes for returnees arriving this year, and having had their time to readapt to the game. Those players may even had created wine in the past, but before the counting of the goals and achievements system.

I do not think that the devs and GM are intentionally frustrating that part of the playerhood. But I think that they simply neglected that aspect, and the setting of the shutdown timeline is simply not reasonable.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

Not trying to discredit you, but It's half the amount of grapes you said, about 9300 grapes to do the goal. I collected all the sap needed in one season and about 7000 grapes in 1 season, so yeah you'll be cutting it close with this looming deadline if you don't buy materials.

• Like 1

+1 I have the same problem. Finding the mats and then doing the task to press and mix and cook the maple sap on top of which it takes a week to ferment.  I am also still working on the 6250 fence repairs, for which I need to find fences decayed enough to repair.  Please extend to middle of next year.

I just cant find the reason for this date. Whats to come in february since we have to remove these goals? Are there any plans to replace the goals, maybe with the new tutorial? Cannot see why the goals we have now would interfere with that.

All in all its just vague..

1 minute ago, MrJonnyboy said:

Not trying to discredit you, but It's half the amount of grapes you said, about 9300 grapes to do the goal. I collected all the sap needed in one season and about 7000 grapes in 1 season, so yeah you'll be cutting it close with this looming deadline if you don't buy materials.

Thanks a lot, I already found that mistake and corrected it. Still I do not see that it is reasonably done in one season. Maybe yes if you throw tons of RL money in for supreme enchanted tools and possibly buying graps and sap in addition, or even hire people to collect the materials and process part of the creation. That is a pay2win scheme I would not accept for myself. And I do not see that this is what the devs wanted.

About the amount of extension of the deadline, I am not sure.

• Like 1

my main issue with the deadline is that anyone who need 3 month of premium is basicly screwed right now. deadline is way too short for that, one or two extra month wouldn't have hurt.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Odynn said:

my main issue with the deadline is that anyone who need 3 month of premium is basicly screwed right now. deadline is way too short for that, one or two extra month wouldn't have hurt.

We need at least two or three grape seasons to just get the grape, plus we need maple sap to cook to syrup, and then the fermenting time, which is why I asked until middle next year.  I don't want to be forced to buy (most of)  the stuff to complete my goals but I really do want to complete them.

There have been many seasons since the announcement of removing the goals system, never leave your homework until the last night! It is possible to harvest more than enough in one season if you want it bad enough and considering that the 3 month barrier was implemented to limit alts I doubt that the lack of prem is up for discussion.

• Like 7

They did announce this back when they altered the goals. That the system would get no more work becasue it was being ditched and there would be a limited time to complete the goals.

I honestly thought with the 3 month limiter on it that the system was to be gone in 3 months from that point.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

There have been many seasons since the announcement of removing the goals system, never leave your homework until the last night! It is possible to harvest more than enough in one season if you want it bad enough and considering that the 3 month barrier was implemented to limit alts I doubt that the lack of prem is up for discussion.

There are many goals to complete all of which took time, so searching for lava fiends alone took a few weeks...

Yes: it was announced way back in time that the old system will be phased out.

Yes: I was lazy t complete it, I'm lucky, I have the mats for the wine though so will need to push hard forward to complete it. Fermenting time is an issue though which the players have no control over.

Yes: all mats are collectable during a single season, done it several times. Also there is a market.

Undecided: hard deadline. With new toons not getting personal goals it will get phased out on its own. I will never try to do the goals on a bunch of my alts - too much hassle. Still a few I could feel like to progress when I get bored.... maybe that would keep someone otherwise burned out in the game?

Whatever - I would be happy to see the hard deadline removed but I don't feel cheated if it remains.

No doubt, those few weeks also slot in between seasons ;) 

Sure it sucks to not fit it in if you left it too late and if there are no more tomes in the new system then that's a pretty awful WoO but I honestly cant find a fault with the deadline and I'm pretty good at finding downsides to things.

• Like 1

In fact, when the goals system was announced I widely lacked the time to concentrate on as there were more pressing things to complete. That may be different for some bored Wurmian who has widely done all he wanted before and could jump unto these goals immediately. When progressing further I found the goals indeed feasible for me and started to complete task by task. But in fact it is only weeks ago that I even possess a decent set of enchanted tools (thanks to Dracaa and Shrimpiie and the impers).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

There are many goals to complete all of which took time, so searching for lava fiends alone took a few weeks...

It took me about a week or so of searching to find all my 100 which I completed just recently. Not hard to find them if you clear your server and visit others.

I will say for my apparent lack of sympathy if you're stuck with imp to 99 or catch a 175 kg fish then best of luck.

• Like 1

we had the 3 month limiter but no deadline at that point... which is the silly part. 3 month limiter + 4 or 5 deadline would have been good, deadline which leave only one month is no good.

Some goals are also utterly silly... without the fixes on lava fiends / unicorns it would have been impossible, same for the deers

While i understand some changes have been needed to prevent people from farming the goals, the system is not fair for some real players without alts (and with a busy RL)

• Like 1

We have been clear since the changes to the personal goal system that they would be removed, and if you wished to complete them you'd be better off doing it sooner than later. 

The journal system is the replacement for the personal goals, providing structure and goals as well as rewards for achieving those goals. the first five stages are in with another round due early in the new year. 

Since informing people that the personal goals system would go, we did say we'd provide at least a months warning, and have given plenty of opportunity to complete them, as of now they've been attainable for 7 months, and by the time of their removal it will be near 9 months. If you've left it to the last minute there's still a little bit of time to do so. 

• Like 5

So can you be a llittle bit more spesific in what we (who dont have the time to live inside Wurm the whole year) loose out on by not doing these goals, contra the new ones?

Of the current list, titles, moonmetal lumps, sleep bonus

Check them out, they're not that hard. Completing 50% of one tier unlocks the next 

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

Check them out, they're not that hard.

Not all look possible for priests (imping for sure). Also, is the goal to find a waystone possible on Epic for anyone? (If not, might want to mention that in the description.)

Can we unlock all rewards with only 50% completion per tier? If so, I don't mind some being impossible. :)

• Like 2

No, you'll need to go to freedom to do the waystone one. 

Priest specific options will be coming, you'll need to do 100% to get the rewards 

18 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Since informing people that the personal goals system would go, we did say we'd provide at least a months warning, and have given plenty of opportunity to complete them, as of now they've been attainable for 7 months, and by the time of their removal it will be near 9 months. If you've left it to the last minute there's still a little bit of time to do so. 

7 months ago I was in my 2nd month of prem, and bit more than 3 mths from starting Wurm at all. I confess that the warnings of the shutdown of the goals are for me bit like the announcement of the demolishment of Earth by the Vogons.

In fact I had a look into the goals at that time, and did not really find them feasible for me, but still did everything that came in sight for me. In the course of the year that started to change, and now only a few goals are remaining to be completed. And I would hate to miss them though I would certainly not fall back on pay to win practices. But I can clearly reject the notion that I had been lazy in completing the goals.

And btw., from what I have seen from the journal so far, I like it, good work.

Edited by Ekcin

I dont see how i could manage to get the time to improve an item above 99ql before that time. Ive actually tried to make a decent amount of wine a month or so back, but stupid as i am i went to another server to check on a deed and missed out when the tick happened. 

If moonmetal, titles and sleep bonus is the only thing i miss out on, i cannot see myself motivated to use the holidays online rather than irl, just to maybe reach one of my long term goals in this game within a said date.

Edit: i see that you probably didnt understand my question, Retro. Thats probably my writings fault. ? 

what i meant was, what do we miss out on by not completing the old personal goals, contra the full journal thats replacing the goals?

Surely there will not be a tome in reward for completing the journal? 

Edited by Nordlys

1 hour ago, Odynn said:

While i understand some changes have been needed to prevent people from farming the goals, the system is not fair for some real players without alts (and with a busy RL)

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

We have been clear since the changes to the personal goal system that they would be removed, and if you wished to complete them you'd be better off doing it sooner than later. 

Wouldnt disabling the old personal goals for new toons fix this problem?