Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

The whole argument "fishing for a newbie to feed" is utter nonsense and typical for players who have not seriously started a new character since 2011 or if, then maybe on Epic, where a fresh player can step to the shore practically under the eyes of the spirit templars. At least since the creation of Xanadu it has become even more rubbish. There, no starter location is closer than 200 to 300 tiles from the next shore. The new player is assumed to run through these mob ridden terrain to the shore where it is close to certain that some mob attacks when sitting down and fishing for a while. Afterwards, whole way back with not too slowly rotting fish, thankyou.

So much about ridiculous skills. And the old fishing was terrible for beginners as well. It took nearly the whole 2 minute timer to catch something quite often, and the prey onshore was not always overly impressive, and even if, see above. There were good reasons that my fishing skill was around 4 after a year of playing before the new fishing system started.

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

The whole argument "fishing for a newbie to feed" is utter nonsense and typical for players who have not seriously started a new character since 2011 or if, then maybe on Epic, where a fresh player can step to the shore practically under the eyes of the spirit templars. At least since the creation of Xanadu it has become even more rubbish. There, no starter location is closer than 200 to 300 tiles from the next shore. The new player is assumed to run through these mob ridden terrain to the shore where it is close to certain that some mob attacks when sitting down and fishing for a while. Afterwards, whole way back with not too slowly rotting fish, thankyou.

So much about ridiculous skills. And the old fishing was terrible for beginners as well. It took nearly the whole 2 minute timer to catch something quite often, and the prey onshore was not always overly impressive, and even if, see above. There were good reasons that my fishing skill was around 4 after a year of playing before the new fishing system started.

yeah, but old fishing was a sure fish, now isnt and is really over complicated.
Also was easier share a rod than all the pieces that decay baster now

• Like 1

The old system could be rescued as a newbie thing, similar to what archery and weap skills off trees have: a cap.

Have the old system autocatch small stuff with a fish and string, not even fish for bait.... frying pan fodder, and help level fishing to ... 20.  Won't level after that, same as cutting trees with a huge axe or archery on a target etc etc... but you still get your newbie sardines to mix into a bowl with that foraged veg.

Honestly, times are a'changing, I'd go as far as to add a frying pan to the newbie kit, and a "cooking knife" aka knifeknife aka "knife".

On 4/21/2019 at 3:55 PM, tamat said:

get path of love and refresh, will not get nutrition bonus but can fill food and water ever 18hs

I'm new. Which means like yeah, no idea what you just said. Probably a religious thing?

Also, update: low level fish give 1 percent of health per meal. I had to create another character just to harvest. Not going to highjack this thread, but actually meat (beef, pork, seafood) seems to be the important factor in these casserole recipes. The low level FISH that you CANT fillet do not seem to do much. 

6 hours ago, Ekcin said:

old fishing was easy, have a pottery bowl, forage some cotton carve a spindle, make a wooden hook, go fishig and you had good chnaces for proper sized fishes to filet and make casseroles or simple meals with forages stuff that properly filled you.

the new fishing has horrible non existing catchrates and leaves you, together with the new food mechanics, absolutely straving faster than you can fish and maintain a simple rod.

I also tried spear fishing on the new character, 20x not a single catch even if hitting the fish correctly with that aim symbol. but a spear damaged to 56.

In reverse if you are lucky and the area is not heavily beasted just slay a pig or a cow,  get masses on herbs and veggies and feed yourself high ql meals. suddenly without even high HFC you can reach like 69 nutrition. (cooking 6,8, and hfc 4,9) But it hardly feeds you food wise. Both of these systems are currently a nonsense mess. Especially the stupid mechanic witht he foods giving insight. That kills a lot of Rp to make food you like, now you make food for reducing the grind or eat the penalty of having the wrong food eaten.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 5:05 PM, PWreset said:

old fishing was easy, have a pottery bowl, forage some cotton carve a spindle, make a wooden hook, go fishig and you had good chnaces for proper sized fishes to filet and make casseroles or simple meals with forages stuff that properly filled you.

the new fishing has horrible non existing catchrates and leaves you, together with the new food mechanics, absolutely straving faster than you can fish and maintain a simple rod.

I also tried spear fishing on the new character, 20x not a single catch even if hitting the fish correctly with that aim symbol. but a spear damaged to 56.

In reverse if you are lucky and the area is not heavily beasted just slay a pig or a cow,  get masses on herbs and veggies and feed yourself high ql meals. suddenly without even high HFC you can reach like 69 nutrition. (cooking 6,8, and hfc 4,9) But it hardly feeds you food wise. Both of these systems are currently a nonsense mess. Especially the stupid mechanic witht he foods giving insight. That kills a lot of Rp to make food you like, now you make food for reducing the grind or eat the penalty of having the wrong food eaten.

Cooking is not a 'nonsense mess', just because you don't want to engage with it.  As others have pointed out, you are entirely free to totally ignore the CCFP and temporary affinities if you choose (the bonuses they give are pretty minor), and RP to your hearts content making whatever food you like.  There are plenty of people who still just make the same basic meal they've made for years, because they don't care about any of the bonuses - the minimum requirement is very low.  Like pretty much everything else in wurm, you need to put some effort in before you can reliably do a thing - if that really gets your panties in a bunch, then wurm probably isn't the game for you.

I haven't tried net fishing as yet, as rod fishing works fine for me (my fishing skill was about 3 when the new system came in, and it gave me a reason to actually fish), but it definitely isn't a skill for newbies to feed themselves.  Foraging and botanizing are there for that.  As others have pointed out already.  Skill gain is a lot better now too, and although it did take a little while to get the various stuff together, now I've got it, it doesn't take much effort to keep it re-imped from time to time.  Basically the same as starting out on blacksmithing, really - took some time and effort to get all the stuff, but now I've got it, I just need to put a bit of time into repairing or restocking from time to time. 

Or, if you really don't want to spend the time, you can just buy what you need from other players - I'm sure there's someone out there already selling a fully loaded starter fishing kit.  Y'know, just like basically every other wurm skill or occupation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wonka said:

Cooking is not a 'nonsense mess', just because you don't want to engage with it.  As others have pointed out, you are entirely free to totally ignore the CCFP and temporary affinities if you choose (the bonuses they give are pretty minor), and RP to your hearts content making whatever food you like.  There are plenty of people who still just make the same basic meal they've made for years, because they don't care about any of the bonuses - the minimum requirement is very low.  Like pretty much everything else in wurm, you need to put some effort in before you can reliably do a thing - if that really gets your panties in a bunch, then wurm probably isn't the game for you.

I just make kielbasa constantly, it fills CCFP nicely (ok carbs only like to 50%). It's quite easy and fast to prepare.

Just switching types of meat I use for it + other small changes (with salt or not) to choose affinities I need.

So I crafted all the new stuff that was ok wurming

Found the different baits again ok wurming

Went fishing oops I double clicked on the cast and stopped fishing.  Oops I moved while waiting for a fish one ping only Vasily.  Oops a corp mate asked me a question and the fish swims away.  Well that was fun so I put my stuff up.

I'll put the fishing line in the bsb with the bow strings no no they have to rot ok well I'll put the tackle box on an alt.  The bait rots so I can't even put the chopped fish with the minced meat, the cut up cheese with the cheese?  Can't even put it in a larder?  Fishing is to the exclusion of any other activity like chatting in alliance.  Having to go out and forage for bait every time you want to fish because it rots oh my exciting.  I'll jack with this to catch the 10 kg fish maybe even go marlin hunting for the journal but fun no it is not fun.  Thank you for trying to make it better. that was a lot of work. 

My only gripe really is with the act of fishing itself, as I said before about this topic. I can certainly see how having all the bits and bobs around can be a nuisance and sometimes it feels like a drag to me, too. Makes you prepare for a fishing session a bit though, or have something set up in place on standby, and organizing around that and having things neatly in order ready to go is weirdly satisfying, so I can let it slide.

But fishing...

The lack of any sound cue makes it nearly unfeasible to do anything but stare intensely at your screen waiting for the game to tell you to click, so out of the box doing something more engaging and meaningful while fishing is stupidly confusing. I never understood the notion of the fun to be had to do what I just typed in bold. It's like lizard people from outer space came up with the idea. Every other MMO does this as a hack-job to make fishing in any way interactive at all, and that's bad enough. But here it was introduced as part of a big overhaul to make fishing better and it could not possibly be more off the mark there.

This problem is somewhat alleviated by using WA for that sound cue (which is a sad testament to the game that a mechanic is so dreadful without external tools, especially when it's so easily fixable.) and the somewhat more generous time window for hooking fish. It's actually a bit fun like that. But only like that. Without it, you're either not doing anything else other than strain your eyes on a tack sized portion of your screen or miss 80% of fish, which is frustrating enough; try fishing on sleep bonus to double that frustration, sleep bonus is versatile and meta like that it can even double the player's emotions.

Can fun be had? I think so. Get WA and nearly fish as you did before the overhaul just less AFKish, and in that regard it's just right and reached its goal. But the vanilla fishing without external tools is just frustrating and demoralizing.

So despite what I experience I have to give this poll a strong No. It would be easilfy fixable, but I'm not crediting the system for an immense pitfall that an external tool fixes.

Edited by Flubb

Thanks Flubb,

stare intensely at your screen waiting for the game to tell you to click ruins fishing.  I have Wurm Assistant so I will use that to get the 10kg fish for journal.  

We'll be adding a sound cue to the fishing next update.

• Like 6

cant wait to hear another thing doing *hiss* 

Hopefully some sound package coming into game! Would make the game feel a bit better with actual sounds.

I never ever fished when I started a new character.  It was simply way more efficient to botanize/herbalist to get pumpkins, to make my meals with.

I played back prob 5 years ago and one of my favorite things about Wurm WAS the Fishing!!!  This new Mess is the biggest PIA--sorry but it is. The net is stupid, the spear fishing makes you a nervous wreck watching for some MINUTE, TEENY little fish that you have to impossibly chase and try to Dbl Click on the stupid thing. Although I catch more with spear than net (logically that makes no sense either---a net catches many at once and spear--one). I want my OLD fishing back!! Just that one pop of the bobber and I'll sit there all day (in RL too, lol).  Why was it important to take such a Relaxing, Fun, UNcomplicated part of Wurm and complicate the crap out of it?  Well, IMHO anyways.

• Like 3

Does Wurm Unlimited have old fishing still. If it does that might one solution to experience the old fishing still.

Just now, Ame said:

Does Wurm Unlimited have old fishing still. If it does that might one solution to experience the old fishing still.

Sklotopolis has both systems. For masochists, the new system which comes with WU and for the rest of us, version of fishing rods named "old" which use the old system so we can still enjoy it:

gdKZc5l.png

The old system is modded in though so you won't get it with vanilla WU.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Locath said:

Sklotopolis has both systems. For masochists, the new system which comes with WU and for the rest of us, version of fishing rods named "old" which use the old system so we can still enjoy it:

gdKZc5l.png

The old system is modded in though so you won't get it with vanilla WU.

Thats great idea!

• Like 1