Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

8 hours ago, rixk said:

It is like watching Simpsons and then suddenly the creators decide to change (just) Lenny to look photorealistic. No matter how good his drawing looks, it doesn't fit in.

Gave me a good laugh with that!

I personally haven't tried the new fishing system yet, but looking at it is very intimidating to me, especially since I'm a priest. You used to be able to buy a fishing pole and jump in but oh boy, I guess it got... realistic.

I've been playing around a bit with the new system. And because I have RL fishing experience it has been a weird experience. The system is clearly modelled after the real world and uses a lot of real world names, but real world knowledge doesn't transfer most of the time. I have no idea why different floats exist, for example. In RL I can use literally anything that is buoyant enough to keep my bait at the desired depth while being light enough to indicate bites. The float does not affect anything beyond that. And in RL, most fish hook themselves and pulling on the line may even be counter productive, like with carp which are notoriously paranoid. These issues turn the system into the uncanny valley of game systems.

However, my main problem is how poorly fishing explains itself.

It starts with the inability to get to a "working state", i.e. a state where catching fish reliably works. This is because it is never clear why something doesn't work. Specifically:

* It is not clear that one absolutely has to click to hook a fish. This should be communicated better because it diverges from RL.

* It is completely unclear why fish keep escaping after clicking. Not fast enough? Too early? Hook ql too low? Something completely arcane? The messages should either be clearer or it shouldn't fail. Combining twitch gameplay with rng skill checks is confusing and frustrating.

* I don't see any way of finding out which fish like/dislike what with all the variables in play. Players shouldn't have to write scientific studies using extensive test runs and control for variables just to catch a carp. Perhaps write up some small blurb for each fish type including their preferences and expose that information via the analyse feature already used for the almanach.

* The role of each reel/line is left completely unclear. Judging by the weights of the fish I've cought I should've always used the thinnest line possible and tiny hooks, but hooks only exist in two variants that I wouldn't ever consider IRL and one type that I would…

I think the problems are completely fixable since there's nothing really egregiously wrong with it on a mechanical level, but far too much of it is shrouded in mystery. It should be dead simple to catch freshwater lake fish with the most basic and obvious equipment (i.e., a line tied to a branch and a small iron hook with a worm or some corn on it) to give players a base to branch out from, where they are reliably able to succeed at catching _something_.

• Like 14

My local fisherman down at the pier reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck. So yeah fishing's now soo reeealistic!

We'll be going through with our first lot of tweaks and adjustments to the fishing system in the next update, it will include things such as:

• Time to hook the fish will be extended
  • Clicking on time will always hook the fish (This will mean that you may lose more on the line, not because of any of our changes, just if you fail the hook skillcheck you're more likely to fail line checks. It also will adjust skillgain because of always hooking)
  • Lore system to tell you what kinds of fish your rod will catch more and what kind of fish you're likely to catch at your location.
  • Fixing keep nets to work in more places
  • Rewording event messages to be a little clearer and more intuitive
  • Adding fishing tutorial popups

We expect these will go a long way to addressing many of the complaints in here and look forward to seeing their effect

• Like 8

On 1/2/2019 at 10:22 PM, Retrograde said:

Is this happening in your inventory? 

this happened in my inventory and it would seem also from sitting on a table on deed. My fishing net was placed on a table for two days and already took 6 damage :(

What the hell did you do to fishing?! My wife was always fishing a lot, and now suddenly all her fishing rods stopped working? She tried to make the new ones, but the process is so tedious, she's on the verge of selling the deed and her character... Who in the world came up with this piece of crap?

It was one of the best ways to obtain quick food and feed for the animals, especially for new/low level characters, and now a mid-level character trained for many years can't even make a single fishing rod, because there's no option to craft some friggin' eyelet?

When is the rollback happening? Because there must be a rollback of this disaster of a patch, right?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Devean said:

What the hell did you do to fishing?! My wife was always fishing a lot, and now suddenly all her fishing rods stopped working? She tried to make the new ones, but the process is so tedious, she's on the verge of selling the deed and her character... Who in the world came up with this piece of crap?

It was one of the best ways to obtain quick food and feed for the animals, especially for new/low level characters, and now a mid-level character trained for many years can't even make a single fishing rod, because there's no option to craft some friggin' eyelet?

When is the rollback happening? Because there must be a rollback of this disaster of a patch, right?

1. All old fishing poles can be converted to the new system via right click menu. 
  2. Eyelets are a jewelrysmithing item.
Edited by Beanbag
Corrected jewelrysmithing

52 minutes ago, Devean said:

we had some threads about rollback

but staff says will never back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanbag said:

1. All old fishing poles can be converted to the new system via right click menu. 
  2. Eyelets are a jewelrysmithing item.

1. Hmm, didn't find this option... How exactly do you do that?

2. We tried replicating the recipe from Wurmpedia, but there's simply no such option. We take the iron lump and the small anvil, but there's only chain under Jewelry Smithing.

43 minutes ago, tamat said:

we had some threads about rollback

but staff says will never back

That's sad :(

1 hour ago, Devean said:

1. Hmm, didn't find this option... How exactly do you do that?

2. We tried replicating the recipe from Wurmpedia, but there's simply no such option. We take the iron lump and the small anvil, but there's only chain under Jewelry Smithing.

Right click on the old pole and I believe the option was "convert" or something similar. I don't have any more of them to confirm precisely what it was called. As for the eyelet I am able to craft them with ~7 skill in jewelrysmithing, albeit at a low chance. Might have to imp your anvil a bit or skill up JS a bit. Honestly I find the basic poles no less effective than the light rod, but that may be due to where I'm fishing or my skill. 

Edited by Beanbag

So... I made a nice set of fishing gear but in about 10 days certain items took some serious damage as can be seen below, which is very annoying, especially as the keep nets take huge quantities of cotton strings of high ql to imp up.  And ofc the fishing lines cannot be improved... and all this damage despite the tackle box and the large chest which it is in both having runes attached to reduce damage to contents by 10%.  The large chest where the rare keep net is stored also has similar rune attached to it.  The most damaged items are even worse off than the food items which were put in the tackle box at the same time.

May I suggest that the damage to these items be removed, as per reels, or at the very least reduced dramatically?

http://bSANB9f.png

http://YOdbEkZ.png

edit: and now both fishing keep nets have disappeared ?

Edited by Baloo
  • Like 6

On 12/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, SasnycoN said:

You can right click on it and made it compatible with the new system.

You can find twigs in the bushes of feathers from chickens as floats and put them in the fishing pole (it works like a container). If you have an old pole you can transform it with right click to the new one. For bait you can use a lot of things. The easy one is choped cheese or wurms from the ground.

"you can find twigs" ... yea, so I have to either find chickens and KILL them in order to get their feathers or take 30 mins riding around looking for twigs in bushes. Ridiculous. 
We need a easier way to get float as the current method requires you to go on a safari looking for bushes or chickens before you can go out fishing.

It took me something like 2 hours to get the "Large fish" requirement for the Journal, and I only caught 2 fishes during that time and I went through multiple floats and lines because everything kept breaking constantly due to my appalling fishing skill. Would've taken me even longer if I hadn't known someone with all the equipment needed and several different rods for me to try out until one worked in the spot we were at. The priests in our village don't provide us with fish anymore now that the new system is in place, because it takes too long to gather up all the materials (many of which won't fit in a bulk bin) and they really just wanted something useful to do while waiting on favor. Maybe fishing wasn't an "intricate" feature, but it was relaxing for the people who liked it and you always ended up with fish to cook with (which you don't always do now, and you might have to grab a ship as opposed to standing on a pier or at the shore). One of the people in the village has 99 fishing but can't actually catch fish anymore because she doesn't have time to run around looking for all the parts needed for the rod to work, nor does she have the skill needed to create the various rod kinds and everything needed for them. Could she do other things in the game? Sure she can, it's just a shame that one of her regular activities is no longer available to her because it's too time-consuming and intricate to the point where it becomes a chore.

But I guess we're not allowed to criticize the system as a whole, and have it taken seriously, because of the tragedy that struck the team. All critique (constructive or otherwise) seems to be taken as a slight to Tich's memory, even though it's just aimed at the fishing itself. The new fishing system is absolute garbage, and it'll become one of those niche activities that we'll eventually be forced to interact more with in the future just to make it seem like a valid addition to the game.

• Like 4

Dumb part is hooks... and having to improve them like normal item.. instead of having them created at high ql..

The way we lose them by rng chance... is dumb.. waste of time improving to lose it at once..

Besides that.... without a map of what bites on what/where/at what time... and what lines/fishing rod setups works ok/well for catching this or that.. it's a big rng rng to rng the rng.

rng kids probably love this.

My journal goal took me ~5min or less.. right after I lost ql72fishing hook.. caught ~13.5kg fish with a ql20creation hook.. that idk why didnt snap as I lost ~5 or more before catching that..

Fishing irl is simple.. this is nuts, rare fish could be harder to get.. but for the most part.. there should be casual mode;

By wogic laws that right now are fishing nets letting you catch up to 4x small fishes per action(1 minute afk), at least limit for ql1-90 fishing net is 4 fishes, no clue if you could get more than that per action/ minute.

• Like 1

This fishing page really helped with my large fish goal (on Epic):

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Fish

You can use a moss float with no bait to catch carp/catfish at the right depth in a lake, but I also used small fish as bait (roach, etc.). I had a couple fishing rods I converted (decent QL, nothing amazing), went out on a boat, checked the depth, and caught plenty of fish with little effort. Was actually fun (nothing snapped): the only real annoyance was the need to click at the right time, and the game didn't seem to always recognize my click.

Now I wouldn't have wanted to figure all that out for myself (but maybe with the lore system now it wouldn't be so difficult?). Also, I hadn't really used the old fishing system, so no ingrained expectations to compare it to, and I'm on Epic, so getting skill wasn't a problem.

If I were serious about fishing, then maybe I'd get upset at decay rates, but I just wanted the goal; I haven't fished since.

From reading some of the comments it sounds like there is an imbalance between efforts vs. reward that has to be adjusted.

I don't fish irl but my impression is that the need for expensive gear is more about "don't go down on gear" rather than a requirement for catch fish.

I remember a story from my brother as kid where he got a fishing rod to try fishing from shore and without experience he didn't catch anything. Then an old man came by one day and didn't like his fancy rod and went to get a simple stick and attach a line and short after my brother started to catch fish using that. My cousin catched fish with his bare hands from small streams.

The complexity irl come more from choosing the right gear for the type of fishing area when you make it into a sport and if you just need fish for eating then there is easier methods.

My advice is to make some of the fishing easier with less loss of materials but only for a small selection of fish type, not necessary only small fishes. Bring back if you fish on deep water you get larger fish and fishing in shallow water gives you small fish unless you use fancy gear.

• Like 2

I like the 'idea' of the new fishing update, but in practicality, it feels heavily bugged or unbalanced. It's not explained well at all, there's no indicators for the gear use (Something you'd expect LORE to do maybe?).

Several days fishing, several different types of tackle, bait etc. I've not caught anything other than piddling herring with a rod/reel combination. Most fish will "Jump the hook" or just run off with the gear.

Even piddling herrings are walking off with the float, bait, line AND reel on a frequent basis (all 50+ql).

Having to spend 2 days+ crafting fishing gear (+ ample replacements) and have all that gear disappear entirely in an hour or two is ridiculous, let alone not even catching anything of substantial value.

Fishing is not this frustrating and certainly not this difficult IRL, especially with this gear.

• Like 1

I think the biggest issue with the fishing system is that it seems like a pile of a lot of work for no reward at all. Its like they increased the difficulty on fishing without matching the reward/usefulness from it. Now we got this uber complicated system with much more difficulty to do exactly what we were able to do before by nearly afking 6 minutes with a rod.

If there was something useful to do with fish, then I could understand it. But right now fish are pretty damn worthless: you can't use them for butchering skill because they give f-all for skill. You can't use them for cooking because there really isn't anything you could make with fish that you couldn't get with meals or pizzas. You can't mount/trophy big fishes for bragging rights, and you can't really sell them because people rather buy meat than fish. 

I think if they maybe gave fishing a purpose, it'd be more an attractive system.

• Like 6

On 3/15/2019 at 10:59 PM, Aeris said:

But I guess we're not allowed to criticize the system as a whole, and have it taken seriously, because of the tragedy that struck the team. All critique (constructive or otherwise) seems to be taken as a slight to Tich's memory, even though it's just aimed at the fishing itself. The new fishing system is absolute garbage, and it'll become one of those niche activities that we'll eventually be forced to interact more with in the future just to make it seem like a valid addition to the game.

The new system is overcomplicated, even comparing to the real world one.

Not a clue why it followed that way, in the game, where wogic is seen on a daily basis.

I'am also planning to do the journal goal and never touching it again, couse it's just a waste of time.

• Like 3

give us ONE option that is like the old fishing, the net, for example, let me queue all my actions and afk.  currently, whenever you catch one fish all the queued actions clear and it all stops

well the net works that way: you need 3,4,5,6 nets, as many as you can stack actions. Then you can use activate/fish on all these nets, and only have to remove what you caught. Granted, that is not fully afk, but close.

Only bad thing atm (if not yet fixed) is the abysmal decay of nets and keep nets.

Definitly a No, i do not like it. 

The old over-simplyfied way, was converted to a over-complicated way, which needs way more resources, maintenence, but gives you no faster skillgain for this hassle.

Sure, i can now see a fish in the water - players like graphics, but you get not reasonable skill or fish back. 

I have seen a new player at Haven Landing a week ago, at first very exited for fishing, i helped craft spears and fishing lines and what not all in okey quality - but nobody can help that poor guy, when he just fails over and over and does not get fish for lunch.

I was able to see literally the exitement of this new player flow away after a few days of trying to understand etc.

A few easy changes that harms nobody, could do so much good to the game.

• Like 5

New fishing is awful. Spending a lot of time for rods, hooks and baits its just not worth. What you'll get for hours of jugglery floats? Fish.

• Like 3

I think fishing used to be the afk skill for excellence when players wanted to still have their toon do something in game while being busy. With the update it's not afk anymore but i suppose it's not such a big deal. Used to practice it for skillgain, soul depth gain, to get some food without having to actively hunt in the wild, or slowly increase taming/cooking/butchering by fileting the fish and giving it to a nearby pet (yes there are better ways, this was a slow semi passive method).

Since 1.9 hit WU i went to try spear fishing from a dock. Upgraded the willow fishing rod but can't use it as it needs more components. I think i'll stick with spear for when i need something quick to eat and perhaps try the fishing nets, as i've read they can provide good results when used properly.

Now at least for the spear fishing part: looked a bit buggy, i've seen fish swimming through terrain (coming from the sand mountain part behind me instead that from the water) or swimming toward the terrain, clipping and disappearing. Managed to catch a couple by swinging at the sand at my feet :P. Seems like you can manage to catch one each minute or less if you are good at spotting them quickly and practice the aim. Sometimes the fish is too small and will not add to inventory. The skill gain felt relatively low compared to before, where you could afk queue with a good CoC rod and raise the skill relatively easily, but will have to stick to it for more time and perhaps the method i used was the least effective for gaining skill.

I don't think i'll try the fishing rods as they need more components and i'm not aware if you get anything out of it for putting them together. Perhaps some special fish/ingredient or access to some feature that i'm not aware about? Otherwise will go at it as side hobby when have nothing else to do in game, just to try it out.

Edited by MashHiven