Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

My opinion of the new fishing is based on my alliance members comments.

Made what once was a relaxing activity into something complicated. There are many aspect of this game I really love. But sometimes I wonder why the devs think they need to add so many steps to an activity. Where is the cut off between to simple and just being into pain.:P

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 7:13 PM, Raamkozijn said:

*Jaw theme intensifies*

Reveal hidden contents

swMEItS.gif

hate you so much :P
i need the 175kg goal

how hard was get it?

what bait you used?

we can stop decay ticks on reels, lines, hooks and stuff inside of taclebox?

Edited by tamat

26 minutes ago, tamat said:

Is this happening in your inventory? 

98 fishing. My pole took 78 damage on a salmon that jumped the hook.

Lame, and makes fishing not that fun.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrandonSF said:

98 fishing. My pole took 78 damage on a salmon that jumped the hook.

Thats the ultimate fail on a skillcheck (on a roll between -100 and 100 you rolled -100 to -90). That's what used to break the reel entirely, but now just does a massive damage tick. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Thats the ultimate fail on a skillcheck (on a roll between -100 and 100 you rolled -100 to -90). That's what used to break the reel entirely, but now just does a massive damage tick. 

Ahh. Well, I'm personally not into it. I do like that folks are still working on improving the game though!

I personally don't have an issue with the spear fishing or the net fishing and that is all I have tried so far.

I only tried on a low fishing toon and only in shallow water, so no experience with deeper water yet. But at 1 fishing was able to reliably catch fish with both.

Please add passive fishing skillgain back or 'auto fish'

• Like 3

Used to use the old system while doing other things, while being a very simple way to get some meals made with a new character.

Forage a piece of cotton and find a single tree and it was good to go in a couple of minutes.

I'd like the new system to be a buff to the old system, rather than a full replacement.

Used to be relaxing, now it's a chore. Would be a fun system for catching unique/special fish, like on the special tiles or a way to boost quality.

Would be interesting to see how skillgain compares, when accounting for all the extra prep time including creating/imping tools and gathering supplies.

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

only when logoff, when login it have damage

7 hours ago, Kerry said:

I'd like the new system to be a buff to the old system, rather than a full replacement.

^^^This

Choice is a good thing not a bad thing.  I like the new system, I just feel it should be an enhancement to the old system for those who enjoy the mini-game.  If we had the choice I'd actually use both, depending on my mood on any given day.

The thing that I found most displeasing about the new system though, is that while the wiki says that skill is still gained while fishing with the new system, I've not found that to be the case.  Admittedly I've only tried it for a few hours so far, but I did not see any gains while "fishing."  The only gains I could see were while "reeling in" a hooked fish.  So for the entirety of the long timer prior to actually hooking something and reeling it in, no gains.   (If I'm wrong, and if anyone else has been getting gains while just fishing and before hooking something, please correct me.)  That being the case, using sleep bonus to fish now is a complete waste since the time spent actually pulling in a fish is a very small percentage of the time spent watching for a fish and meanwhile the sleep bonus is being used up.  Especially at low skill when your chances of actually hooking something are so much lower.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 2:56 AM, tamat said:

On 1/3/2019 at 3:22 AM, Retrograde said:

@RetrogradeAre you saying that decay on at least some items (reels, lines, hooks, floats at least) inside tacklebox in inventory is shouldn't be happening?

Yes, this is happening in inventory. I repaired the hooks and reel earlier... but all the other items are unused

Tackle%20Box%202019-01-04%20at%2010.01.2

Will have to check to see whether that's intended, but it shouldnt be happening in your inventory, does it happen outside of a tackle box? 

For what it's worth the damage to all of the 'bits' for me has happened at a rapid rate, inside tackle box no matter where I put it, in inventory, on floor or in a chest inside house etc. Also all of it on rods inside the rod rack (which I made a bug thread about) being kicked out to a pile on the floor after taking damage. I can understand maybe the baits (so no point in trying to collect any in advance) but all those other bits? So much of it as well is unrepairable/not impable that it is very offputting. I now keep my tacklebox with items in a magic chest, but impression is that the tacklebox is the worst place to store any of it, and all of it is taking far too much damage before it ever gets used, in a tackle box or not (yes it all can take damage in inventory when not in tackle box too). Not even finished imping up a decent spear yet to try spear fishing but don't think I will bother just yet hearing from friends about the massive damage ticks spears take on use.

Edited by Tilda
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Will have to check to see whether that's intended, but it shouldnt be happening in your inventory, does it happen outside of a tackle box? 

I made a bug report basically day one about this. It's not working. Remember you said it was suspose to 'decay' eh that was a good laugh.

13 minutes ago, Niki said:

I made a bug report basically day one about this. It's not working. Remember you said it was suspose to 'decay' eh that was a good laugh.

bait decays, it's food items. Tacklebox should reduce the decay. 

Non food items such as lines and hooks as far as I'm aware shouldn't decay like that. 

When I get around to getting a crafter to make/imp all the new tools, I'll let you know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrandonSF said:

All my lines took a bunch of damage in the tackle box.

He doesn't listen to me.

• Like 2

As I have stated in a previous post that has since been moved to "suggestions section", the old system should of been left in place and this new system should of been an addition to.

A single developer saw chance to make their favorite skill more interactive and fun for them - which they thought would be more fun for everybody (not a bad thing - some best ADDITIONS to a game are solutions to personal problems or desires).

Took the chance and did it

(Next two in no particular order cause I honestly dont know the timeline but they seem really close)

Change goes in.

Developer passes away

Now who is going to take the feedback on the clearly not well received system and fix it? Add old system back in, leave it the way it was. Add new system into it and be it a bonus to skilling similar to the way CoC gives more skill on tools or something. Yall know what Im trying to say. The new system sucks.

As OG Aetherwalker said when hearing of the passing, "The last person to know and understand Rolfs bowl of spaghetti code is now gone, what will happen to wurm now?". Big Question. 

• Like 1

I gave it another try. a catfish absolutely destroyed by rod and my line and then it jumped the hook.

Worked for way too long to get a good reel and the good ql on my rod, bought a braided line....for nothing.

Sorry but I feel like maybe this update just wasn't executed very well at all. :(. It is terrible.

1 hour ago, Ruger said:

Change goes in.

Developer passes away

Now who is going to take the feedback on the clearly not well received system and fix it?

She had not finished the fishing update when she passed away and they launched it maybe a bit too early and with little work added.

It was stated by staff that it had not been compleated.

• Like 1

There is absolutely plans for a period of review with the holiday period passing. We've said there'll be plenty of tweaks in the coming updates including things already discussed and things we've noticed ourselves. 

The only thing we've said no to is reverting the update entirely. 

Fishing change (also cooking change) are very good piece of work.. In all sincerity, it is fun, it is detailed and interactive. BUT.. it is too detailed for a game, where you can literally become master shipwright just by imping an oar. It is like watching Simpsons and then suddenly the creators decide to change (just) Lenny to look photorealistic. No matter how good his drawing looks, it doesn't fit in. Same goes with fishing(also cooking) IMO.

Fishing was good activity for semiafk. I don't know why it was considered as negative thing and it was decided that rework of the whole system was needed. Interactive minigames can be fun, but if you have to do it thousands of times (and we are talking about Wurm here), they become a chore. Better idea would've been, like it has been suggested here, to keep old fishing as is and build a different layer ontop of it with interactive fishing, to catch special fish etc.

• Like 6