Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

1 minute ago, Ekcin said:

Are the pearls a new item? Anyone caught one already? I got about 10 clams so far, one containing a padded handle, some seafood, rest empty (not a complaint).

Yes, pearls are a new item from the fishing patch.

No, I've not gotten any either but there's a random chance for it from each clam.

16 minutes ago, tamat said:

try pole and rods, most people use them not net or spear

The reason he is using a net in this example is, I was specifically asking whether brand new players can still catch adequate fish to feed themselves and stay alive.

The consensus of everyone is that the net is the most appropriate for a beginner trying to feed themselves (tiny fish but moderate supply and no skill or fancy gear needed)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

The reason he is using a net in this example is, I was specifically asking whether brand new players can still catch adequate fish to feed themselves and stay alive.

The consensus of everyone is that the net is the most appropriate for a beginner trying to feed themselves (tiny fish but moderate supply and no skill or fancy gear needed)

still can get attacked (a lot) in coast and low water, the most secure things was in middle of water in a boat (thanks lavaspiders for in the 1x1 fishing spot). After saying that net is supposed (still need to try it) to be great for fish, but most people here complaining about fishing with pole/rods.

48 minutes ago, Tristanc said:

The spot is the Fort Buda docks, northnortheast coast of Independance.  That area of the north coast is mostly steep cliffs and steep slopes descending down to relatively deep water immediately at the coastline.  The docks (actually a man-made quay) drop off at the end into sand & dirt with a line of kelp tiles into the ocean.  No freshwater nearby.

I checked this out, and it's true, you're fishing in deep water so it's making it too deep for the net things. I found a shallower flat area and started getting normal fish. Think a natural beach rather than man made dropoff 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I checked this out, and it's true, you're fishing in deep water so it's making it too deep for the net things. I found a shallower flat area and started getting normal fish. Think a natural beach rather than man made dropoff 

I see. Did you find the beach somewhere around Fort Buda?

2 hours ago, tamat said:

still can get attacked (a lot) in coast and low water, the most secure things was in middle of water in a boat (thanks lavaspiders for in the 1x1 fishing spot). After saying that net is supposed (still need to try it) to be great for fish, but most people here complaining about fishing with pole/rods.

If you can manage to produce a boat, then you're not really a complete beginner.  And this is wurm, you can (and will) get randomly attacked basically anywhere.  At least there are generally guards available on the shore...

I wanted to weigh in on Fishing.. I've been working on this for the better part of 3 days as I need fish for affinity cooking.  My fishing skill  is about 45ish.  I made the new pole, reels, rounded up bait, floats, etc.  I made "light" pole as I was interested in the small fish for cooking - perch and roach.  I live on the coast, and after hours of trying, wasn't able to catch anything. CA helps said that because I'm coastal, light pole won't work.  So I then made net and tried that, and wasn't able to catch anything (again probably because I'm coastal.)  On my deed, I have a place near my farm field for growing rice.  I tried the net in my rice bed, and I was finally able to catch the small fish that I needed for cooking.   (in reality tho, would there really be fish in a rice bed?)  

My deed is Silversage, its on the west coast.. to the west is server border.   Today I took a boat and  moved somewhat inland (where the X is)..   So I think this would not be considered coastal, but I'm not sure.  After reading here, I think my problem is trying to hook the fish.  I watch the chat window to find out when to click to hook the fish, but then my eyes are not so good.  I'm using a feather as a float, and its difficult to see.  By the time I locate the feather, I think I'm beyond the allowable time to hook it.  I was looking for a bobber to dunk under (like the old way).  Anyway I'm happy that I can get the fish I need to cook, but not sure how much time I will spend trying to skill up fishing.

nPYXRyG.jpg

Edit..I just tried again, I guess I still don't understand where to click to hook.  Nothing becomes targetable.  The float, the line. I see the fish swim up to the float..i can't target that either.  I just get "You are too far away to do that."

[11:24:46] You sit still and get ready to cast.
[11:24:52] You cast the line and start fishing.
[11:26:26] You feel something nibble on the line.
[11:26:28] You missed the herring!
[11:26:28] The nibbling at the end of your line stops.
[11:26:28] You are too far away to do that.
[11:26:32] You are too far away to do that.
[11:26:33] You are too far away to do that.
[11:26:34] You managed to put another fly on the metal fishing hook!
[11:26:53] You sit still and get ready to cast.
[11:27:01] You cast the line and start fishing.
[11:28:40] You feel something nibble on the line.
[11:28:42] You missed the catfish!
[11:28:42] The nibbling at the end of your line stops.
[11:28:45] You are too far away to do that.
[11:28:46] You are too far away to do that.
[11:28:47] You are too far away to do that.
[11:28:48] You are too far away to do that.
[11:28:50] You managed to put another fly on the metal fishing hook!

Edited by Mitzie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitzie said:

Edit..I just tried again, I guess I still don't understand where to click to hook. 

I don't believe you have to click on the float or anything else in particular, I just click with the cursor over the water tile and it seems to work. As far as I can tell you can't click while over a menu box or anything like that, but as long as theres nothing under the cursor but game graphics (like a water tile) it should work. 

For myself, I'm using a toon with 40ish fishing skill and a basic rod in a freshwater pond and I lose about 60% of the fish that nibble.

Edited by Beanbag

1 hour ago, Mitzie said:

[11:28:40] You feel something nibble on the line.
[11:28:42] You missed the catfish!
[11:28:42] The nibbling at the end of your line stops.

It turns out that this sequence of messages means that you clicked correctly and attempted to hook the fish. However, you failed the skill check ...so think of this like a failed action. My guess is that you can reduce how often this happens by improving the hook or possibly all the components of your fishing rod (rod, reel, hook). As well, the higher you skill gets the less frequent you will miss i guess too.

Edited by McGarnicle

14 minutes ago, Mitzie said:

Is it left click? double click? right click?

left click

For me the sequence of events seem to be :

- throw out line

- wait till i see a fish swim closer

- get event msg "You feel something nibble on the line."  (visually the line starts being pulled)

- i left click to start reeling it in 

- fish gets reeled in  ("The huge catfish stands no chance!")

- fish caught :)

I'm trying hard to like the new fishing system, but ..

I find it overly complicated, is a game in itself. Maybe idling all the way from 1 to 100 in one skill wasn't the way to go, but right now, if I find myself somehow busy irl, there is no more activity I can do while semi-afk'ing.

Moreover, if I want to go on a serious fishing grind, I need to start preparations 3 days prior and make sure I gather all sort of dozen baits, dozen floats, dozen reels, dozen .. what else is to be put together for a fishing expedition. And like that isn't enough, all that stuff doesn't have a proper place to be stored to prevent decay and there's no way to log out with your tackle box in inventory without coming back to smelly rotten bait.

And while I like the idea of a bit more interactivity for a skill, right now fishing - with one of the least used subproducts in game (how many food recipes are using fish and how many people are ever mass cooking anything else than pizza, bangers and mash and perhaps herb dumplings) - fishing is the most time consuming activity one could think of.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Roccandil said:

I'm reminded of the fishing system in Stardew valley: entirely dependent on player (not toon) skill, knowledge, and fishing rod QL. 

Self-correction: Stardew Valley fishing actually has 10 skill levels. For whatever reason, I only vaguely remember the skills, perhaps because it wasn't a "grindy" game; the skills came naturally enough you really didn't have to worry about them.

10 hours ago, Evening said:

I'm trying hard to like the new fishing system, but ..

I find it overly complicated, is a game in itself. Maybe idling all the way from 1 to 100 in one skill wasn't the way to go, but right now, if I find myself somehow busy irl, there is no more activity I can do while semi-afk'ing.

Moreover, if I want to go on a serious fishing grind, I need to start preparations 3 days prior and make sure I gather all sort of dozen baits, dozen floats, dozen reels, dozen .. what else is to be put together for a fishing expedition. And like that isn't enough, all that stuff doesn't have a proper place to be stored to prevent decay and there's no way to log out with your tackle box in inventory without coming back to smelly rotten bait.

And while I like the idea of a bit more interactivity for a skill, right now fishing - with one of the least used subproducts in game (how many food recipes are using fish and how many people are ever mass cooking anything else than pizza, bangers and mash and perhaps herb dumplings) - fishing is the most time consuming activity one could think of.

Wurm has a lot of issues with decay, bait is just the next one. It's the same reason why I don't bother with cooking. With how infrequently I play I'd have to spend a lot of that time cooking every time I login simply because whatever I'd have made the last time is as good as gone already. Spend all that time and work, just for it to vanish the next time I login. I wish they'd just get rid of time based decay entirely on deed.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Evening said:

Sounds about right, why spend all that time making all these different recipes when the best food is easy and filling without too much trouble? Same will happen with fishing, when one aspect is found to be the easiest, a majority of players will use only that aspect.

More isn't always better.

p.s. I can't wait til they overhaul smithing so I actually have to take the item out, set it on an anvil, hammer it, stick it back in the forge again and again...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

In a game where people need to eat half a cow a day in order to not starve to death, expecting newbies to live on simple low quality meals made from tiny fish and a blade of foraged grass is insane.

I feel like the developers really have no idea what it's like to be a new player in Wurm Online.

Edited by Scribble
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ecrir said:

Wurm has a lot of issues with decay, bait is just the next one. It's the same reason why I don't bother with cooking. With how infrequently I play I'd have to spend a lot of that time cooking every time I login simply because whatever I'd have made the last time is as good as gone already. Spend all that time and work, just for it to vanish the next time I login. I wish they'd just get rid of time based decay entirely on deed. 

This. I get decay off-deed, but on-deed? It simply isn't fun. Just chores, chores, chores. :(

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 7:35 AM, Yldrania said:

I used to spend hours just standing at the shore idle fishing and chatting with my Wurmian friends, but this has now been taken away from me completely. I am not happy with the new changes - Wurm is a game where nothing is ever easy, and now the ONE thing that was simple has been revamped into one of the most complicated game parts. I don't see how that benefits anyone. I'm sorry but I just can't get on board.

Exactly. I play Wurm less now since there's nothing I can while semi-idle. Games need a range of engagement levels, especially ones like Wurm.

• Like 4

on the topic of fish not sufficing for meals. a .15 grilled fillet brought my food bar up 10%. That, to me, is very filling for a newbie.

3 hours ago, timptheum said:

on the topic of fish not sufficing for meals. a .15 grilled fillet brought my food bar up 10%. That, to me, is very filling for a newbie.

As a newbie I'm curious how you've even managed to catch fish large enough to fillet. I've no experience with the old fishing system but with the new one I've only managed to catch sardines, roaches and perches. All too small to fillet and so small that they'll barely sustain what food you lose in the time you spent catching and cooking them. Fishing Net only seems to be good for catching the small fish in large quantities but it gives practically no skill. Fishing Pole and Light Fishing Rod are good for skill but don't seem to get me any larger fish with the quality of tools and skill I'm fishing at. If I didn't have two more experienced friends doing a new settlement together I think I'd be starving because there's no way Fishing would feed me the way it is.

On a somewhat related note Fishing Net is great for leveling HFC because you easily get loads and loads of small fish to cook. Still does practically nothing for feeding you though.

Mechanics wise I think the new system is interesting but could use some improvements. The timer is a bit long just to get one chance to fish and you can easily get distracted waiting for fish to appear for sometimes over 2 minutes and then miss your window to catch the fish. I've also tried spearfishing but it seems either incredibly flawed or I simply have too bad quality spear and skill to do it. I managed to catch 3 fish over maybe 50 attempts and those fish were the same small ones I could've caught with a net. I'm fairly sure I hit my feet with my spear more times than I caught fish.

One major gripe I have when it comes to rods and poles is floats. Me and my friends settled on a bit of coast on a mountainside with little trees or bushes and no moss and neither do we have chicken. To find just a few twigs I have to sail to a nearby shore and by pure bad luck those twigs can quickly get eaten away by failures in fishing which makes increasing my skill even harder. Getting floats shouldn't be that hard. I also don't quite understand why we can't craft our own.

EDIT: Weirdly enough even with all this I'm enjoying fishing as an activity in the game. I just think it could be improved in many ways, especially for the newbie experience.

Edited by Siwone
  • Like 1

So after experimenting with this skill, I find this update seriously lacking.  I will list out my reasons and suggestions below:

A twitch based system in a skill check game:  the necessity of clicking to hook a fish  has been added in order to make the skill more interactive.  However, I find it frustrating that I can complete the twitch based operation yet still fail the skill check.  Additionally, you can fail the skill check while reeling in the fish and have it jump the hook. 

SUGGESTION:  remove the skill check from the twitch based action to hook the fish, but keep it  during the reel in timer.

Watching text:  In order to know when to click, you must keep your eyes glued to your event log for a particular message.  You cant risk chatting with other players or let your attention wander during a 3 MINUTE TIMER lest you miss your cue to click.  This makes fishing even more dull than it was previously.

SUGGESTION:  Split the timer into 2 parts - the first one starts just after you cast and lasts for 1 minute and extend the amount of time you have to click a little based on character's fishing skill.  This is the period in which curious fish come to bite the bait.  Once a fish is successfully hooked, a 2 minute 'fight' timer starts.  Additionally, add a sound cue to when a fish hits a  line - i had to do this via wurm assistant.

The Mystery of the matryoshka dolls:  The fishing poles themselves are a victim of Wurm's outdated UI - you have a container within a container ad nauseum.  This makes changing your fishing strategy with different baits, reels, hooks, floats, lines a real pain in the ass.  not only that, but looking at the description of the items gives very little clue as to what they do or what they catch.

SUGGESTION:  Simplify the rods by making them their own items:  basic fishing pole, light fishing rod, medium fishing rod,  deep sea fishing rod, and professional Rod - each assembled out of its respective parts as they exist now.  Keep the bait system as is, but change the float system - allow floats to be crafted out of wood and include in their description what depth they are intended for.  This will keep the desired fishing complexity while simplifying the pole itself (not to mention the amount of time it would take to imp all of the individual parts for each type of fishing).  Also, please include more information on the bait so we have an idea what it can be used to catch.

The disappointment of small fry:  While fishing out in deep water,  I would be excited to actually have a line strike only to be immediately be disappointed that it was a herring.  While I understand that this is realistic, it isn't exactly fun.  Not only is it a waste of bait for small fry, but you cant even use herring as bait.

SUGGESTION:  Allow the fishing net to be used in deep waters to catch herring and other small fish.  Take the small fish (perch, roach, herring) off of the regular list of fish that will strike a line.  Also, let herrings be used as bait.

Tedium vs. Reward:  I wont get into a discussion of Wurm's gameplay systems (and for the record I really love this game despite the grindiness), but while the complexity and apparent failure rates have increased for the activity of fishing, the rewards appear to have not increased in a similar fashion.  You still get...fish that don't do much.  You can feed yourself with them, use them on pizzas and...that's about it.  I've heard of clams being caught with nets that can have pearls or seafood meat, but that's still not terribly impressive for the amount of time and effort involved.

SUGGESTION:  include new uses and recipes for fish and fish products.  Maybe salted fish that don't go bad that can be used as travel rations,  fish oil, something to do with natural substances/alchemy?  new dyes or additives?

Analysis:  As it stands now, the only thing necessary for players looking to make things like pizzas is a fishing net and access to brackish water.  The systems' overall complexity is daunting while at the same time presenting lackluster rewards.  These two halves must be brought into balance to make this skill update more successful.

PS:  I really love what you guys did with salt and water types.  Seriously, that's been a long time coming.  1 salt per 1kg of water was a little silly, but 1 salt per 10k should be perfect.  Thank you very much for that.

Edited by Demonix
formatting
  • Like 5

On 12/23/2018 at 12:35 AM, Siwone said:

As a newbie I'm curious how you've even managed to catch fish large enough to fillet. I've no experience with the old fishing system but with the new one I've only managed to catch sardines, roaches and perches. All too small to fillet and so small that they'll barely sustain what food you lose in the time you spent catching and cooking them. F

It is true that you cannot fillet the small fish. But other than with fillets, or fsb'd pieces of meat, you can put multiple of them into a bowl or pan still making a breakfast or meal, with or without herbs and vegs. A 10 perch breakfast has .74kg and 65 difficulty, more when herbs or vegs are added. roach and sardine have less weight, but otherwise same goes for them.

As the small fish are caught fast it is fairly easy to feed from. just add a few herbs and maybe  a veg from foraging and botanizing for a better meal, craft a knife (kitchen knife) to chop them for higher nutrition value.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:37 PM, Tristanc said:

Yes, pearls are a new item from the fishing patch.

No, I've not gotten any either but there's a random chance for it from each clam.

After having caught 13 clams, I now have 2 white pearls. I learnt that 10 white + 1 black can be used to craft a necklace.

I used a spear to fish.  Turned the GUI off (toggled F10) and it was much easier to see and catch fish.

• Like 1

Its terrible, where do I start...

Spear fishing is broke.  I dont see a fish, ever.  I get no messages about fish.  But if i just spam click the screen my spear takes dmg every click and magically i miss the fish i never saw.

Fishing is worse then before.  Half the time clicking to hook a fish doesnt register, like i never clicked at all.  The second or third time clicking it finally works but Im too late.   You cannot craft any lures or floats... In a game of crafting.  You have to forage them and even with higher skills your floats are crap quality.  Reels dont even fit in the tackle box that has compartments for reels.

Fishing is now like shield bashing, I should have grind it to 70+ before it was "improved".  ?

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1