Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

@Beanbag

The miss is the result of a skill check. If you were not reacting quick enough, it would say something to the effect of "The nibbling at the end of your line stops" after a second or two.

4 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

the miss is failing the skillcheck, not being too late. we'll be looking at improving that

4 minutes ago, BDCKoolaid said:

@Beanbag

The miss is the result of a skill check. If you were not reacting quick enough, it would say something to the effect of "The nibbling at the end of your line stops" after a second or two.

Ah ok, I probably just failed to read that. Makes sense.

I did a fair bit of fishing last night . The toon I used did have 90 fishing. I used a professional rod that was 69 ql and the steel reel was about 65. The heavy braided line was maybe in the 50s. I did get 94 ql twigs and I think 50ql steel hook. I used a 50 ql net to catch my bait in shallow water and would catch several fish each go. I think for a new person the fishing net alone could keep them fed. I went out in the boat and caught quite a bit of fish. I see several people here talk about the click and to be honest I didn't even pay attention to where I was clicking when it said I got a nibble. Not sure how much that matters.  None of my stuff ever broke but I did repair the reel and hook as I was fishing.

Some of the issues I had was the ql was way lower on average than the old system. I never caught a real hq fish. The ql was all over but mostly real low using fishing rods. The catfish I caught was a lot higher average than the old system though. The fishing net skill gain is beyond sucky. You can cast many many times and even catch lots of fish between skill ticks and that's on all 3 toons with 1 , 60 , 90 skill. After catching 21 fish and many many casts on deeper water for clams my 1 skill toon had 2.13 fishing.

Using the fishing net in deeper water would bring in clams. When you open the clam you get things like large nails, bone fishing hook sometimes seafood meat. This seems silly unless its some kind of treasure system where you will eventually get something good then it makes sense. Even got a rare clam but the toon I caught/opened it on only had 1 fishing skill so found nothing inside.  Getting clams were pretty rare. I never caught a fish in the deeper water with the net.  The ql of the fish from the nets were more in line with skill. You could see the different averages on all 3 toons was about 20-30 ql below skill. Getting fish above 80 ql was pretty rare on my 90 toon but I think it was pretty close to the old fishing system. I did like the fact that as far as you can highlight a tile you can cast the net on it. No too far away messages to worry about.

To me it seemed like skill gain wasn't great  on spear fishing either. Flies were easy to get but I never found any wurms. bait fish was easy also. Fish bits from fileting was kinda common.

I think the fishing lines should maybe be impable. Making braided line you will start with a 98 ql string and by the time you go back and forth between cloth tailoring and rope making the ql flies down. I am guessing having 90 in each skill will help mitigate that but I am betting you would still have to spam lots to get a handful of hq strings.

Today I tried with a creation ql basic pole and line. I used a twig for a float and a wooden hook. First cast was with a fly as bait. but doesnt look like you really need bait using just a basic setup. It is very brutal on creation ql hooks and even decent ql floats.

I think some frustration comes from wanting to fish but you see all this gear and you feel overwhelmed because there is so much to make and you just want to go right out and do it. I have decided to put fishing on hold until they tweak it and I can take my time to make all the gear and then i can just fish leisurely. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Evilvision said:

The toon I used did have 90 fishing.  ... I used a 50 ql net to catch my bait in shallow water and would catch several fish each go. I think for a new person the fishing net alone could keep them fed.

See if you (or anyone, really, I am not trying to dump this on you) can check also with a brand new toon, without high 90 fishing skill, without a high quality net, who forages -all- of the components for the net themselves (including making a rope tool) then tries with a 10Q net not a 90Q one. I will try to jump in and do this too but I have some serious family illness issues competing for my attention at the moment. If they are tweaking the system now, it is the perfect time to ascertain (and not guess, too high or too low) whether a newly rolled player, still flummoxed at learning a complex game from the start, and without access to a maxxed out main to gather materials, make tools, and build them a net, can also feed themselves. Keep in mind they also have abysmal cooking skill, and that a dozen or two of 9q roach weighing 5kg (or whatever the small fish are these days) will not make much of a dent, they will likely need a LOT if they can no long count on an occasional 2.00-3.00 kg pike or catfish to round out their diet. The fact that a 90 skill fisherman using a 50Q net and mats they have been saving up for years, thinks a new player can maybe do it.  is not to me yet very convincing evidence.  If they are fine tuning the system now, then now is the time to make sure. 

I am all for making the game more challenging for mid and high level toons who may be otherwise starting to feel bored. While not "babying" new players, we must keep in mind that before they are willing to dedicate huge efforts into the game, they have to at least survive far enough in to be sure they even like it, and I think that means being able to progress to at least 2 weeks playtime without assistance from a maxxed out main characters twinking them out every step of the way. Some players are also more "hard core challenge" type than others.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Retrograde said:

One thing I do wish to point out in regards to all of this, this was a system worked on by Tich who spent a lot of time encouraging wurm systems to be in depth and expansive. Fishing going from afk to interactive is a big change, and for those (who it seems are mostly the ones who afked it) it's going to be a large change to get used to. 

I saw the same complaints about the cooking system, where suddenly you had to work out which ingredients you could use instead of throwing it all into a pan, and you had to put more time and effort into getting optimum results so it's no surprise it's happening here, but I'm sure you all remember there was a period of both us tweaking and players adjusting their comparisons vs the old system, after that making it much easier to enjoy. Give it time, relax. After all, it's not about catching the fish in the end, is it? 

a simple little guide is:

1. Right-click on a tile (or boat) to get option to start fishing.
  2. A timer starts waiting for you to cast. You cast by moving the mouse and when the circle is non-red, left-click to cast at that spot.
  3. 2nd timer starts (3 mins) during this time the following can happen
    1. After a delay, a fish will appear and swim to the hook where it will take a bite (the float bobs up and down as well as the line moves).
    2. You have a limited time to try to hook the fish.
    3. If you manage to hook a fish it will try to get away, during this time you may see the fish moving away from or closer to you.
      1. If the fish gets too far away, it will escape.
      2. If the fish gets close to you, it will be caught.
      3. There is a possibility for the line to snap (you will loose anything that was on the line as well).
  4. If you tried and failed to hook the fish, your fishing session is over.
  5. If you did not try to hook the fish, it will swim away, and after a delay another will turn up.

Who said they enjoy the cooking system?  We tolerate it for the temp affinities but I imagine most don't consider the extra hassle fun.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 4

[16:21:54] You create a fishing net.

[16:21:32] Cloth tailoring increased by 0.1171 to 2.2570

Wish me luck

[16:22:53] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.

[16:23:10] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

[16:23:40] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

Not a bad first haul, second time

[16:24:06] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.

[16:24:12] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

[16:24:39] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

[16:24:51] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.

[16:24:51] Fishing increased by 0.5193 to 1.5193

That's with 1 fishing and a 13ql net. Yes it's not heaps, perch are small and you won't be having giant fish to harvest, but it's quite acceptable to do as a brand new player.

• Like 9

I like it, about time we got some twitch playstyle, I thought I'd stick witj overwatch until this hit, tracer??? Pfff, give me a rod, a box of bait anyday. I'm downloading 500gb files just to make myself a harder challenge, just practice guys. I think players are so use to /fsleep and a fking they forget the game isn't designed to just be that. 

I will keep you updated on my tier 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

"Bugfix: Dragging a group of tacklebox items into a container slot should no longer give an error."

Really wish I could say this was true.

While I can put most items into the various slots, the following will just not go in:

- hooks of various metal types (wooden and bone hooks do go in with no trouble and I sent my 92ql tacklebox to a friend, who could put all types of hooks in the slot)

- dough balls will not go into the slot

- reels of any kind, except professional ones, will not go into the slot.

Would be grateful for some assistance with these issues.  Thanks in advance.

Edit: with GM Hestia's very kind help, I now know what my errors were:

- the metal hooks must be metal FISHING hooks, not just metal hooks

- the dough balls need to be made from dough, using a kitchen knife - the whole dough will not fit

- the reels of various kinds, need to have different handles attached to make them into FISHING reels

So, now I know and I hope the above helps some others who might have had similar problems.

Edited by Baloo
  • Like 2

Loving the new fishing system more and more the longer I use it.

Edited by BDCKoolaid
Retrograde is slaying it.

When referring to metal hooks not working, they are metal fishing hooks right, not the other kind for toolbelts?

22 hours ago, Retrograde said:

[16:21:54] You create a fishing net.

[16:21:32] Cloth tailoring increased by 0.1171 to 2.2570

Wish me luck

[16:22:53] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.

[16:23:10] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

[16:23:40] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

Not a bad first haul, second time

[16:24:06] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.

[16:24:12] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

[16:24:39] You catch a perch in the fishing net.

[16:24:51] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.

[16:24:51] Fishing increased by 0.5193 to 1.5193

That's with 1 fishing and a 13ql net. Yes it's not heaps, perch are small and you won't be having giant fish to harvest, but it's quite acceptable to do as a brand new player.

I don't know how did you manage to catch those.

I have 7.59ql net and ~8 skill in fishing. I have tried to fish with the net in 2 session, one hour each. During this sessions I changed the fishing spot from time to time just in case (I don't know if this actually matters). I was fishing at the sea shore in the entire time.

The first time I have managed to catch 4 clams in one hour (and a rare one which I can't sac. yet because of my low Faith). Half of them actually give me meat. I'm sure that this is not enough food to cover one hour. Here is the log from the first session: https://pastebin.com/T9kxfUKd

The second time I have decided to check my hunger first and it was 60 when I started fishing. In one hour I manage to catch only one clam that give me a pearl. My hunger dropped by ~30 during this time. Good thing that I can't starve to death in Wurm. I also gained 0 skill points. Here is the log from the second session: https://pastebin.com/4fzYTVdg

I plan to make 2 more sessions with the spear and will paste the logs again.

So far I can't see how can I, as a new player feed my self with average of 1 clam per hour, which might or might not actually give me meat!

Edited by SasnycoN
Adding information

someone please tell me how to catch clams, my 99 fishing and a net in salt water doesn't catch anything

48 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Are you not catching any other fish? 

No. All information is there. I only forgot the mention that I was fishing at the sea shore. 4 clams the first time (plus one rare) and 1 clam the second time. Not a single fish. It took me a long time but I managed to catch 2 fish with a spear after the first session (or before that I do not remember anymore). The 2 fish were actually smaller than the clams by the way :D. 

Edited by SasnycoN
Adding information

Yeah clams are special items that can contain pearls. 

what's your event log of not catching anything? were you in shallow water? where were you standing? 

42 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

what's your event log of not catching anything? were you in shallow water? where were you standing? 

The entire event log is in the two paste bins. I was standing on the shore. I was selecting "fish" on the first available tile that it's not saying to me that it's too shallow (you can actually see in the event logs that I'm trying to adjust that).

I like the new fishing system. It can be a little frustrating because I don't know which combinations I should use to get the desired effect, but that's also part of the fun. I like experimenting to see what works. I even made a little google doc to keep track of which fish I'm catching in which situations. Will it help? Who knows! There are a lot of moving parts, which was intimidating when I first read about it, but it's not as complicated as I first thought. 

There are a few kinks to work out, but I think there will be with any new system. A simple guide to the mechanics would help (for example, I didn't know you had to double click until I read this thread), but I think it was mentioned that that's already being worked on. There are some quality of life things that I think would improve it a little (like keeping bait in a bsb maybe, pretty please?) but those can be subjective. And of course there are bugs, but there are always going to be bugs with new things, and those are being squashed (or being used for bait) pretty quickly. So overall, I think it's a good system. There's just gonna be an adjustment period before we're all comfortable with it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SasnycoN said:

The entire event log is in the two paste bins. I was standing on the shore. I was selecting "fish" on the first available tile that it's not saying to me that it's too shallow (you can actually see in the event logs that I'm trying to adjust that).

That is odd, I made a brand new account with a 1ql net and 1 fishing and caught 2 perch and a sardine first action. I'll need to see where you were standing

[16:54:16] The water tastes fresh.
[16:54:17] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:54:42] You catch a perch in the fishing net.
[16:54:53] You catch a perch in the fishing net.
[16:55:11] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.
[16:55:17] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:55:25] You are so full, you cannot possibly eat anything else.
[16:55:28] You drop one sardine and two perch.
[16:55:33] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:55:58] You catch a roach in the fishing net.
[16:56:28] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:56:33] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:57:11] You drop a roach.
[16:57:14] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:57:19] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:57:32] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:57:47] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:58:14] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:58:32] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:58:38] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.
[16:58:45] You catch a roach in the fishing net.
[16:59:05] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.
[16:59:20] You catch a perch in the fishing net.
[16:59:32] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:59:51] You get a roach.
[16:59:55] You drop a roach.
[16:59:58] You drop two sardine.
[17:00:02] The net is too unwieldly for you to cast, please empty it first!
[17:00:07] You drop a roach.
[17:00:07] You drop a perch.
[17:00:11] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

That is odd, I made a brand new account with a 1ql net and 1 fishing and caught 2 perch and a sardine first action. I'll need to see where you were standing

*snip*

Fresh water vs ocean is the difference between you 2

Also as for this update i guess for now its back to hunting animals for food right when i had gotten a nice fishing rod the update hit figured id try it and well ya nope easier to slaughter 10 cows then to catch enough fish to feed myself for a day let alone anything more

It seriously need some more balancing and the complexity of the setup is good the documentation released so far is a solid 2/10 as for actual fishing a 1/10 until issues like what have been posted here are fixed things i noticed myself too
Oh and someone go change the wiki tutorial pages and get rid of the fishing references or more over most of those pages as they are so outdated big time and now with fishing having been changed if i had started today instead of back then id have probably quit as fishing saved me from starving many times but right now that will just not be the case as it stands currently

2 hours ago, moonpie said:

Also as for this update i guess for now its back to hunting animals for food right when i had gotten a nice fishing rod the update hit figured id try it and well ya nope easier to slaughter 10 cows then to catch enough fish to feed myself for a day let alone anything more

I can corroborate what Retrograde demonstrated. I caught 150 small fish in some more than 1hour, an average above 2 fish per minute. With the old system, I was not able to catch even 1 fish per 2 minutes on average, admittedly larger fish. I am still struggling with fishing pole/rod, and haven't even tried spear, but I shall do, at least when the goals stress is over.

For beginners, the fishing net is a great starting point. With a low level in fishing skill, I obtained about 6 skill points in a few hours of fishing. And there are a few recipes for sardine, perch and this sort of fish (breakfast always works anyway).

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I believe I can shed some light on Sasyncon's catches with his fishing net.   We both were fishing at the same location and all I caught there were clams as well.

The spot is the Fort Buda docks, northnortheast coast of Independance.  That area of the north coast is mostly steep cliffs and steep slopes descending down to relatively deep water immediately at the coastline.  The docks (actually a man-made quay) drop off at the end into sand & dirt with a line of kelp tiles into the ocean.  No freshwater nearby.

From what I understand, using a fishing net in deep water (can't use it from a boat, ever, so this type of terrain is about the only place you can use a fishing net in deep water) mainly results in catches of clams, thus Sasnycon's and my experiences of only catching clams using a fishing net at the location. 

In my latest session, I experimented by taking a boat down to the Colossus Lake North tunnel and used a fishing net inside there (from the underground shore, as can't fish with one from a boat).  My catches from inside the tunnel-canal were exclusively minnows, no clams.  The evidence leads to the conclusion that the site that you're fishing at, whether it's freshwater or saltwater, deep or shallow, underground or not, plays a very big role in what you catch with a fishing net.  It would also seem that the game's definition of deep water for fishing isn't exclusively the middle of the ocean and includes some relatively moderate depths.

Addendum:

All of the above said,  I'd still definitely recommend crafting a fishing net as the first tool to use for fishing by a starter character.  The fish caught won't be big in terms of supplying food, but it's alot less stress when first getting to understand the game than the other two methods of fishing (spearfishing and rod&reel fishing) and still supplies some skill gain.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

[14:15:41] You miss the catfish and hit your own foot!   

Spear fishing is going swimmingly :P 

• Like 2

Are the pearls a new item? Anyone caught one already? I got about 10 clams so far, one containing a padded handle, some seafood, rest empty (not a complaint).

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

[16:54:17] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:54:42] You catch a perch in the fishing net.
[16:54:53] You catch a perch in the fishing net.
[16:55:11] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.
[16:55:17] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:55:25] You are so full, you cannot possibly eat anything else.
[16:55:28] You drop one sardine and two perch.
[16:55:33] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:55:58] You catch a roach in the fishing net.
[16:56:28] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:56:33] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:57:11] You drop a roach.
[16:57:14] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:57:19] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:57:32] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:57:47] The roach  was so small, it swam through the net.
[16:58:14] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:58:32] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.
[16:58:38] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.
[16:58:45] You catch a roach in the fishing net.
[16:59:05] You catch a sardine in the fishing net.
[16:59:20] You catch a perch in the fishing net.
[16:59:32] You finish pulling in the net.
[16:59:51] You get a roach.
[16:59:55] You drop a roach.
[16:59:58] You drop two sardine.
[17:00:02] The net is too unwieldly for you to cast, please empty it first!
[17:00:07] You drop a roach.
[17:00:07] You drop a perch.
[17:00:11] You throw out the net and start slowly pulling it in, hoping to catch some small fish.

try pole and rods, most people use them not net or spear