Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

8 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

Try dragging the other hooks to the tray, not into the tray as you will always hit a hook, and a hook is a container, which won't fit a hook inside.  I did that too, so don't feel silly.

I have tried everything every which way - and still loose!  NO joy here

Edit: i can put wooden hooks in with the bone hooks, but NO other metal types will go into the slot.

Edit2: imping the tackle box did not help.

Edited by Baloo

If I had a goblin skull around, I would try it to see if the hook is the issue.  Can you mail me a hook to try with the other hooks in my box?

Instead of overhaul, they should have retained the old fishing with some nerfs to the types of fish that can be caught the old way: skill "Basic Fishing".

Then the new system of fishing with a new skill: "Sport Fishing".

• Like 8

will send you a gob skull, Vroom and thanks for trying to help

29 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

When you see the text message of nibbling, you need to have your cursor out near the line and very quickly double click the mouse (and I mean very quickly).  Then you can just sit there and watch the action of you pulling in the fish.  So that is the total of the interactive they have added.  You have to learn to cast, and you have to learn when to double-click.  Forcing you to watch the screen for that 1 action is not really what I would call interactive, but it is a pain.

Thank you, that seems to work, however when double clicking that fast I also get a '[12:48:08] You are too far away to do that.' message.

1 minute ago, Hailiah said:

Thank you, that seems to work, however when double clicking that fast I also get a '[12:48:08] You are too far away to do that.' message.

I know, takes some practice to find where it is best to hold your cursor to click and hook the fish.  It should not matter, but it does.  ANOTHER TWEAK POINT DEVS.

Any bugs to report go in the bug reports section, not included in caps at the end of the post

as a note, requiring having to pay attention is not a bug

This forum chat is all about the problems with this update, so right now it makes more sense to keep all the problems here.  As to the all cap at the end of a sentence, it saves me from having to make a separate post to you (It got your attention, didn't it?)  As to having to pay attention, it may not be a bug, but the way it works now is a mistake compared to the other skills.  Telling us we have to accept it is forgetting one thing, we are the customer, and we are saying we do not like it.  Have you ever heard of the old saying, the customer is always right?

• Like 3

I've dabbled a little in the new fishing system, it's not bad, just different, it does require a lot more attention than the old system, where you either caught a fish, or didn't.

Can't say I dislike it, however I have a few thoughts on it, similar to others, on retaining the old method of fishing for new players, and still have the new system for more in depth fishing for when we develop higher skills.

I understand that low skill, easier fishing is available using the fishing net, but the old method could be repurposed as a low skillgain early alternative, since new players will find it harder to have access to the tools and skills needed for the new method.

I'm thinking mainly of purely initial skillgain, similar to fight skill and archery skill on targets/dolls with an upper cap on skillgain, to prevent afk skilling at higher levels, and can see no good reason why a training system for what is a complex skill shouldn't benefit new players as well.

So, TL;DR Old system remains with a skillcap to allow new player initial gains and some food, helps new players, keeps new system as has been suggested, as a sport, rather than a survival skill. for higher skilled fishers.

I get the whole bait issue, simply seeding issues, which will repopulate tiles over time, that was my only other caveat on new system, which has been answered.

2 minutes ago, Zenity said:

I understand that low skill, easier fishing is available using the fishing net, but the old method could be repurposed as a low skillgain early alternative, since new players will find it harder to have access to the tools and skills needed for the new method.

A basic fishing rod still exists, and still just uses a line and a hook, with options for bait. This means that new players can easily fish at low skill and still have the same level of interactivity, gating the interactive aspects of it arent conducive to helping new players learn fishing.

22 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

Telling us we have to accept it is forgetting one thing, we are the customer, and we are saying we do not like it.  Have you ever heard of the old saying, the customer is always right?

The customer is not always right, and that argument does not carry any weight. 

As for the issues with catching delays that could be tweaked a little, bugs with damage and tackle boxes will be addressed, like every update with major features, there's usually a period of adjustment. 

• Like 5

Anyone who thinks the customer is always right, has never worked in customer service.  Just sayin'.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Any bugs to report go in the bug reports section, not included in caps at the end of the post

With all due respect, if we don't know how fishing is suppose to work, how do we know what the bugs are?

A lot of people myself included don't know where to click or how to click to hook the fish.

I like this new system already, just wish I understood it more.

Edited by Hailiah
additional comment
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

A basic fishing rod still exists, and still just uses a line and a hook, with options for bait. This means that new players can easily fish at low skill and still have the same level of interactivity, gating the interactive aspects of it arent conducive to helping new players learn fishing.

The customer is not always right, and that argument does not carry any weight.  

As for the issues with catching delays that could be tweaked a little, bugs with damage and tackle boxes will be addressed, like every update with major features, there's usually a period of adjustment. 

WRONG!!  When you decide that the customer isn't right, you lose a customer.  I went through this before with Rolf.  It got me a 30 day ban from the forums for arguing with him.  But you know what?  I was right, everyone else was just as upset about that update back then, and it got reversed, like I said needed to be done.  I'm not trying to be nasty, I was actually looking forward to this update.  But there are issues with it, and if you do not listen to us and fix them, you will lose players.  Not all of us want to have something as simple as fishing take so much concentration to do.

As to the basic fishing rod, it is more than it used to be, and if they still have to watch and double click at just the right moment, it isn't the same as it used to be either.

I have to go along with what others are saying.  leave fishing as it was, add in the new skill sport fishing for all this new equipment.

• Like 3

We'll likely be tweaking a lot about fishing over the coming weeks,  but one thing that I must be ABSOLUTELY clear about.

This system was an overhaul of fishing to drag it away from something done while afk or idling. we understand some who used it exclusively as an afk system will be upset, but that's not going to change, the desire to bring in more interactivity and depth to this system was the driving point of all of this.

Fishing was one of Tich's favourite things in this game, thus her being the first to 100 in it. 

• Like 5

I liked Tich too, but her memory is not a reason to be stubborn.  I'm at 99.70 fishing myself, but I do not enjoy the new system as it is.  If you do not make some major tweaks, you will find you have wasted your time.  Listening to what we tell you is a good thing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hailiah said:

With all due respect, if we don't know how fishing is suppose to work, how do we know what the bugs are?

A lot of people myself included don't know where to click or how to click to hook the fish.

I like this new system already, just wish I understood it more.

Absolutely agree, there was a document with more information but it contained a lot of the technical stuff, we'll be scrubbing the tech stuff and a bit of the flavour for public availability. Sorry that's not done yet, but the initial fishing part is fairly simple once you get the hang of it, we'll be working on reducing some of the harder to figure out stuff (like high difficulty fish you'll never catch popping up) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

We'll likely be tweaking a lot about fishing over the coming weeks,  but one thing that I must be ABSOLUTELY clear about.

This system was an overhaul of fishing to drag it away from something done while afk or idling. we understand some who used it exclusively as an afk system will be upset, but that's not going to change, the desire to bring in more interactivity and depth to this system was the driving point of all of this.

Fishing was one of Tich's favourite things in this game, thus her being the first to 100 in it. 

cool but most people won't care, and any "new players" will never care

what people do continue to care about is the complete destruction/remodeling of game mechanics that people have used for 15 years that are no longer available going forward

there are tons of these cases and fishing isn't the first, and definitely won't be the last

the very core of this game is BORING, get over it, thats one of the reasons why we have sub 250 active unique players in a game with so much potential

whats next?

can't mine on the same vein for more than 15 minutes at a time?

can't imp at the same forge for 15 minutes at a time?

can't chop the same wood type for more than 15 minutes at a time?

whats so hard about implementing a leisurely way to skill gain these skills at like a 30-40% reduced rate in order to appeal to both sides?

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

if the OP of this thread wants to get the community together to talk about the new update and their complaints/bugs they've encountered and then wrap the thread up by capping it at the end and then reporting them that way, whats the problem with that? who are you to step in and to tell them not to do it like this?

• Like 1

i dislike it. i liked the ability to mostly afk it while watching a movie or doing other random things, sometimes just stuff i had to do on an alt as well.

the only good thing about the fishing update so far that i've seen is the ability to fillet fish and get skill, that's a good thing. many people were asking for this for ages.

18 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Absolutely agree, there was a document with more information but it contained a lot of the technical stuff, we'll be scrubbing the tech stuff and a bit of the flavour for public availability. Sorry that's not done yet, but the initial fishing part is fairly simple once you get the hang of it, we'll be working on reducing some of the harder to figure out stuff (like high difficulty fish you'll never catch popping up) 

i for one don't understand why you would want to scrub the actually important info. i wont be giving this system a chance before it comes to WU, simply because i'm absolutely not interested to spend hours micromanaging the ###### out of an unnecessarily high number of sub components only to find out that the chance for them to break is over the top for the only fish i would be interested in.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

This was why I mooted the point for keeping the old method and simple rods, but having a skill cap similar to archery and fight skill training, to help new players gain initial skill and knowledge but put a cap in place to prevent afk skill gains for higher skills, that still won't please those who wish to simply afk to 100 fishing, but does address some of the concerns that new players may be facing a hurdle in fishing that is not present in other food gathering skills.

1 hour ago, Vroomfondel said:

WRONG!!  When you decide that the customer isn't right, you lose a customer. .

If you do everything one customer wants, you certainly lose two others.

Just now, Ekcin said:

If you do everything one customer wants, you certainly lose two others.

But I'm not the only customer complaining, am I?

I don't think its about appealing to one set of customers, its about appealing to as many as possible. Theres always a middle ground on things, people just have to be willing to get there

• Like 2

-1 on the system. I was going to commend why until I saw Retrograde going on and on. Rolf your making a mistake letting that person to do what he does.

• Like 5