Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

I love fishing with the net! I've never fished IRL but I have used a net to catch tadpoles as a kid, so it just seems fun to me. I haven't tried the other sorts of fishing yet, but I hope they bring in new recipes at some point for new fish. 

34 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

most likely hasn't spawned yet, most things gathered either have a time restriction (like how foraged tiles can take a day or two to replenish)

This is my guess as well. Some of the trees that didn't give me grubs or birchwood bark last night, do give me some today.  I haven't checked for any twigs yet.

Where they made it so that all tiles were "seeded" when archaeology came out, they seemingly did not with this update - which imo is fine.

I think some of the frustration of a few people could've been reduced if the spawn method was mentioned somewhere, but with how big the patch notes were it very well could've been forgotten by accident. Some dev clarification would be great, though I bet they're actively full-time busy squashing nasty bugs at the moment.

That said, I'd give it a few days to see how easy it is to get the new types of bait and floats that don't consist of pre-existing items, before drawing conclusions on whether or not it's too difficult in terms of (re)spawn rate.

[17:59:07] A small chest with compartments inside specifically for holding fishing tackle. It could be improved with a lump. Ql: 83.3131, Dam: 0.0.

2 hours ago, Baloo said:

Why only 1 type of hook in the hooks section of the tackle box? Is this intended or a bug?

Some hooks will not even go into the hooks section ...

Seems to be a problem with putting multiple items into a tray of the tackle box.  Whether it is hooks or minnows, only 1 will go in the first time.  You have to retry to get the rest to go in.  And for the record, I am able to put 5 each of gold, silver, steel, iron, and brass hooks in my tacklebox.  The box is 82.73 ql.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 2

In my village we used to fish with our shared priest alts while we where doing real stuff with our mains.

All that fish (and it was a huge amount) ended up getting filéed. Then we hired a professional panfiller to fill thousands of pans for us. The priests then put the pans into forges and got HFC skill and some Soul Depth. This happenend multiple times and it was a huge operation every time.

Then we finally learned that Soul Depth doesnt affect casts so it was all a waste of time and money.?

I have not touched a fishing rod since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

most likely hasn't spawned yet, most things gathered either have a time restriction (like how foraged tiles can take a day or two to replenish) or it'd be on tree age growth, its most likely on one of these systems, which one is yet to be worked out.

This mechanics are the issue. The bush is basically made out of twigs. We should be able to harvest twigs which will add dmg to the bush until it disappears completely. The worms should also not depend on spawn. Ground is full of worms in RL and they are not on the ground but in it (or beneath the stones). They should be optained by digging and you should have some % chance to find one (30-50% for example). Or be searching beneath a stone if there is one spowned on the tile.

2 hours ago, SasnycoN said:

There is no way new player can rely on fishing for constant food source. I'm a new player, playing for a week now. Until this patch I was able to catch enough fish to fed myself. I catch nothing since the last patch. 

Use a fishing net instead, easy to make. You catch some fish in shallow waters with it and even get skill. No hassle at all.

Short answer no.

The system is extremely well thought out, but its gone from an almost 100% AFK skill to something that needs 100% attention, which is all well and good. If it worked and didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, I'd probably be more inclined to do it.

I'll stick to my forge in the mean time.

Edited by Rudie
  • Like 2

I said it in alliance after seeing Emoo's preview. Overkill, going from one extreme to the opposite extreme.

• Like 1

I mean it is a brand new skill in a sense. They took something that did not have a reason to really have high or low skill to succeed at, and they made it where we have tier lists for fishing. fishing nets for low skill players just trying to grab a meal and professional reels and deep fishing lines and such for people who are looking for big trophy fish. I mean the old afk for 6 hours was great and all, but I do enjoy the fact that they added a reason to fish. And to top it off they gave a reason to skill some skills that a lot of us havent had reason to even touch until now. I never leveled jewelrysmithing because I build ships, but now i have things I want to make for fishing that require the skill. The new system is gonna take some tweaking for difficulty level but overall I think its a fun system. :D

• Like 2

The skill gain shouldn't of been gutted so hard, and even if you fail catching a fish you should gain passive ticks for the action. I'm kinda pissed I waited till patch before capping to 100 skill. ?

• Like 2

Just now, Niki said:

The skill gain shouldn't of been gutted so hard, and even if you fail catching a fish you should gain passive ticks for the action. I'm kinda pissed I waited till patch before capping to 100 skill. ?

Passive ticks while engaging in fishing-related actions is a pretty good idea, if the current ticks simply aren't happening often enough.

Ok, now I have made all the rods and went fishing.  Tried all the rods, found most can be used from the shore, except for the professional rod and reel.  Took it out to sea, used it 4 times and the reel broke.  That reel took too much work to make and imp to 75 to have it break so easily.  They should not be so fragile, change it back to just the line breaking.  I'm imping everything over 90 now, and if it breaks again I'm out on fishing.  Chlodovech is right, you took this from one extreme to the other.  What the hell were you thinking?  FIX IT!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Passive ticks while engaging in fishing-related actions is a pretty good idea, if the current ticks simply aren't happening often enough.

That's exactly how it worked before update.

Edited by Niki

51 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

Ok, now I have made all the rods and went fishing.  Tried all the rods, found most can be used from the shore, except for the professional rod and reel.  Took it out to sea, used it 4 times and the reel broke.  That reel took too much work to make and imp to 75 to have it break so easily.  They should not be so fragile, change it back to just the line breaking.  I'm imping everything over 90 now, and if it breaks again I'm out on fishing.  Chlodovech is right, you took this from one extreme to the other.  What the hell were you thinking?  FIX IT!

And yeah similar experience, I spent hours making them.

6 hours ago, Vroomfondel said:

I was afraid of that. Disrespecting players' time won't end well. :(

13 hours ago, SasnycoN said:

There is no way new player can rely on fishing for constant food source. I'm a new player, playing for a week now. Until this patch I was able to catch enough fish to fed myself. I catch nothing since the last patch.

It's things like this post right here, makes me question the developers often. Perfect example honestly. Do the devs actually know what the newbie experience is, why do you guys keep nerfing it? Over the years I've seen several things become over complicated. Cooking and CCFP still sucks for a new player also. It's bad. Most newbies buy food you know... I almost cried when you guys were thinking about nerfing water. 

Personally I still don't grasp the update, tons of people have tried to explain fishing, the gains are just not happening. I hate to sound negative because of the circumstances of this update, but i'm going to be honest. I feel like the fish are 100% desynced, they swim too fast when fishing with a rod/pole, the messages come late when they are nibbling because you can't actually tell if they're near the float! It's easy to fail catching. Spear fishing is fine, no improvements needed. Net fishing is suppose to be similar to the old system but the skill gain has been gutted so it's pointless at high levels. Reeling in the fish takes extremely long, it's cosmetic and not really necessary you could easily subtract 20-30 seconds from that. (Also reeling in fish that swam into land is stupid.) Stuff is breaking randomly without warning, high quality steel reel that I imped to 90ql breaks because fish said so! I'm glad I didn't make it out of glimmersteel! I'm afraid my supreme rod will break so I've stopped using it, I've heard they break? WHAT? The only thing that I think should break is the line just like it did prior to update. Everything else should take minor usage damage not break! 

I will add, completely off topic but chicken coops are well designed. Work extremely well. So good job there.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Vroomfondel said:

1. Grubs should not be that hard to find.  I searched out to find over 100 shriveled trees and only managed to get grubs from 2 of them.  They are BAIT, they should be easy to get.  It is the fish that should be difficult.

They work similar to foraging/botanizing/archaeology. Over time more shriveled trees will generate them

2. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to find wurms on dirt tiles.  tried every tool I had, no option to find wurms.  No pick wurms option in the menus, nothing from forage or Botanize either.  Again, they are bait and should be easy to get.

The only bait that requires items state it in the list, jar with honey for flies, and an awl for grubs. bark and wurms simply generate over time like other tile specific items.

3. I've checked over 100 bushes, all types, and cannot find a twig.  IRL I can go out in my yard right now and find twigs, and I don't have to look under any trees or bushes.  A twig should not be hard to find.

Will generate over time

4. I've made most everything, and now imping all the parts.  The entire rod-reel-line-hook arrangement is more complicated than it needs to be for a game.  I have to worry about all the parts wearing down at different rates and replacing them.  The old line and pole maintenance was enough.

You can still have a lesser rod find small fish

5. All in all I feel it has become complicated enough that it is a game unto itself.  If you want to get good at it now you have to devote ALL your time to it and ignore the rest of the game.  And I'm saying this as someone with 99.70 fishing skill already, so it doesn't make much difference to me on skillgain.  You have made it unnecessarily

It is a system that has gone from being something you do while afk to something that requires planning and forethought and far more interactive, you do not have to devote all your time to it, setup will take time because of the fact these items are new, but as time goes on it'll be easier, think back to when you needed to create all the new cooking utensils and go out collecting all the new ingredients.

15 hours ago, SasnycoN said:

It is still quite easy to fish with the rod and line, similar to how you did prior. It is not something that can be afked and requires learning to fish but low skill will not affect you greatly, just give it time. Most high skill complaints come from not understanding how to catch fish, so hopefully we can address that

14 hours ago, Vroomfondel said:

Seems to be a problem with putting multiple items into a tray of the tackle box.  Whether it is hooks or minnows, only 1 will go in the first time.  You have to retry to get the rest to go in.  And for the record, I am able to put 5 each of gold, silver, steel, iron, and brass hooks in my tacklebox.  The box is 82.73 ql.

Drag hooks into the tackle box, it will autosort

12 hours ago, Niki said:

Skillgain is boosted massively, but requires actually catching a fish (i.e. actively playing)

10 hours ago, Vroomfondel said:

That's the rod "breaking". random breaking of the rod happens if you fail the reel action heavily ( -90 to -100 on a skill check). That said, we'll be removing it in favour of just a heavy damage tick to the rod and reel.

1 hour ago, Niki said:

I feel like the fish are 100% desynced,

Fish are client sided

One thing I do wish to point out in regards to all of this, this was a system worked on by Tich who spent a lot of time encouraging wurm systems to be in depth and expansive. Fishing going from afk to interactive is a big change, and for those (who it seems are mostly the ones who afked it) it's going to be a large change to get used to. 

I saw the same complaints about the cooking system, where suddenly you had to work out which ingredients you could use instead of throwing it all into a pan, and you had to put more time and effort into getting optimum results so it's no surprise it's happening here, but I'm sure you all remember there was a period of both us tweaking and players adjusting their comparisons vs the old system, after that making it much easier to enjoy. Give it time, relax. After all, it's not about catching the fish in the end, is it? 

a simple little guide is:

1. Right-click on a tile (or boat) to get option to start fishing.
  2. A timer starts waiting for you to cast. You cast by moving the mouse and when the circle is non-red, left-click to cast at that spot.
  3. 2nd timer starts (3 mins) during this time the following can happen
    1. After a delay, a fish will appear and swim to the hook where it will take a bite (the float bobs up and down as well as the line moves).
    2. You have a limited time to try to hook the fish.
    3. If you manage to hook a fish it will try to get away, during this time you may see the fish moving away from or closer to you.
      1. If the fish gets too far away, it will escape.
      2. If the fish gets close to you, it will be caught.
      3. There is a possibility for the line to snap (you will loose anything that was on the line as well).
  4. If you tried and failed to hook the fish, your fishing session is over.
  5. If you did not try to hook the fish, it will swim away, and after a delay another will turn up.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

That's the rod "breaking". random breaking of the rod happens if you fail the reel action heavily ( -90 to -100 on a skill check). That said, we'll be removing it in favour of just a heavy damage tick to the rod and reel. 

For the record, I still had the rod in my hand after the break, it was the reel that broke and could not be replaced, as I had not made extra reels.  With the time it took to make the first set for testing, I felt it should not break so easily and glad to see you are tweaking that.

There is more that you should reconsider.  One thing is hooking a fish.  You have to watch the text to see something nibble, then quickly double-click.  It is a level of interactive we do not have with any other skill.  It forces you to play 1 character, or you not only lose the fish, you may lose your equipment.  It is a bit too much in my opinion, and way too short a window between the text and missing the fish.  Most of us play this game casually, and play multiple chars.  This does not allow for either one, and I can tell you now to expect fishing to be left alone by a majority of the players.  New players will make a net for small fish so they can survive, and leave the rest.  I know Tich and the crew put a lot of effort into this, but that does not mean it was all a good idea.  We will adapt, but unless you do a lot more tweaking, we will adapt by leaving the skill alone.

Oh, and as to the stuff I could not find you say will generate over time.  Why couldn't you have seeded that stuff like you did with artifact fragments?  I especially worry about the wurms.  I should be able to dig up a dirt and sort through it for wurms, no keeping tiles bare dirt and "waiting" for them to generate.  Shriveled trees also do not last long, so why aren't they full of grubs as soon as they become shriveled?  All trees have bark, and you don't have to wait for them to be overaged or a particular tree.  And twigs, twigs are everywhere.  These things were made difficult for no good reason, except to waste my time.  These are more examples of how you didn't just make the skill interactive, but unnecessarily difficult.  You want to know what needs tweaking, and the only way you are going to know is by our telling you.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Hailiah said:

How exactly?

https://imgur.com/Ex4BmOc

When you see the text message of nibbling, you need to have your cursor out near the line and very quickly double click the mouse (and I mean very quickly).  Then you can just sit there and watch the action of you pulling in the fish.  So that is the total of the interactive they have added.  You have to learn to cast, and you have to learn when to double-click.  Forcing you to watch the screen for that 1 action is not really what I would call interactive, but it is a pain.

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Drag hooks into the tackle box, it will autosort

This is NOT working

[12:35:44] A compartment for holding fishing hooks. - which is empty

I can put bone hooks only in the slot., which were the first ones I put in the slot.

other than that:

[12:35:32] The hooks will not fit in the hooks. - even when empty - NO other hooks will go into the slot.

Edit: have even tried 1 hook at a time - NO joy.  Tackle box is 83.31ql

Edited by Baloo

3 minutes ago, Baloo said:

This is NOT working

[12:35:44] A compartment for holding fishing hooks. - which is empty

I can put bone hooks only in the slot., which were the first ones I put in the slot. 

other than that:

[12:35:32] The hooks will not fit in the hooks. - even when empty - NO other hooks will go into the slot. 

I see what you may be doing wrong.  Try dragging the other hooks to the tray, not into the tray as you will always hit a hook, and a hook is a container, which won't fit a hook inside.  I did that too, so don't feel silly.

• Like 1

So I put tackle box in forge to imp it, thinking maybe that would help.

Decided the flies might burn up, so moved them into an empty jar - could return 1 fly to fly bait slot, but all the rest had this msg:

[12:42:15] No item found with id 121467045638

Just now, Baloo said:

So I put tackle box in forge to imp it, thinking maybe that would help.

Decided the flies might burn up, so moved them into an empty jar - could return 1 fly to fly bait slot, but all the rest had this msg:

[12:42:15] No item found with id 121467045638 

Another error they will need to fix.  Again, drag them to the tray when the tray is closed, open causes errors.  And if it fails the first time, just try again, it eventually works.  BUT DEVS, THIS NEEDS FIXED TOO.