Sign in to follow this  
SasnycoN

Do you like the new fishing system?

Do you like the new fishing system?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new fishing system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Didn't decide yet!

For the last 2 days I didn't manage to catch a thing. I know that I need to click on the float once the fish start nibbling on the bite etc. but it does nothing. I know that my skills are low but I hoped that for that time I will catch at least 1 fish (in comparison before the patch I've managed to easily catch bunch of fish in no time.) The net is the same. My neighbor tried to fish 30 minutes with it, with semi good skills and net on 25QL and again didn't catch a thing.

So till now we had and easy fishing system and a lot of players with very good skills on fishing now, and on the other side now we have super messy and unnecessary hard fishing system which will not allow you to raise a single 0. point for 2 days.

I like the part that we can fish with spears and with nets now, and the new multi-part fishing pole system (even that id doesn't fits perfectly in Wurm). I like how we need float and bait now, and all this little things to store your fish, looking for bait and float etc. However this clicking thing on the float like in World Of Warcraft is excessive.

Edited by SasnycoN
  • Like 2

I tried to fish from a boat, but it said I needed a float and bait, so I gave up... seems overly complicated and unnecessary.

• Like 3

Dunno. Never been interested in fishing, so probably I won't check it out anytime soon. I just hope that my old rod works still the same as used to.

• Like 2

I have been unable to try out the new fishing system because its going to take me days to lay in all the supplies necessary to do it properly and start cataloging fish.  while I appreciate that the previous system was pretty braindead, this system appears to have gone too far and overcomplicated what used to be a relaxing activity.  Reduce the amount of bits and bobs.

• Like 4

It is overly complicated and probably serves well to pander to some people that would enjoy it, imping their reels and hooks and sinkers and going out with a tacklebox. What I can't understand is why the old method was completely removed.

You don't always need hundreds of dollars worth of competition equipment to fish. Sometimes just a stick with a line and a hook does the job just fine.

Not everyone is an enthusiast fisherman, some people are just trying to survive.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

Dunno. Never been interested in fishing, so probably I won't check it out anytime soon. I just hope that my old rod works still the same as used to.

You can right click on it and made it compatible with the new system.

18 minutes ago, KyleBooze said:

I tried to fish from a boat, but it said I needed a float and bait, so I gave up... seems overly complicated and unnecessary.

You can find twigs in the bushes of feathers from chickens as floats and put them in the fishing pole (it works like a container). If you have an old pole you can transform it with right click to the new one. For bait you can use a lot of things. The easy one is choped cheese or wurms from the ground.

I haven't actually gotten to fishing yet, still making and imping all the equipment so I can test.  But I already have some complaints.

1. Grubs should not be that hard to find.  I searched out to find over 100 shriveled trees and only managed to get grubs from 2 of them.  They are BAIT, they should be easy to get.  It is the fish that should be difficult.

2. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to find wurms on dirt tiles.  tried every tool I had, no option to find wurms.  No pick wurms option in the menus, nothing from forage or Botanize either.  Again, they are bait and should be easy to get.

3. I've checked over 100 bushes, all types, and cannot find a twig.  IRL I can go out in my yard right now and find twigs, and I don't have to look under any trees or bushes.  A twig should not be hard to find.

4. I've made most everything, and now imping all the parts.  The entire rod-reel-line-hook arrangement is more complicated than it needs to be for a game.  I have to worry about all the parts wearing down at different rates and replacing them.  The old line and pole maintenance was enough.

5. All in all I feel it has become complicated enough that it is a game unto itself.  If you want to get good at it now you have to devote ALL your time to it and ignore the rest of the game.  And I'm saying this as someone with 99.70 fishing skill already, so it doesn't make much difference to me on skillgain.  You have made it unnecessarily complicated to cater to a small group that would enjoy it that way.  Look at how much you can take out to make this more simple to do.

That's all I have for now.  After I get to really do some fishing with all these rods, reels, nets, etc. I'll let you know what I think of that.

• Like 9

I like the level of complication to fishing we now have but I think they should throw the old method of fishing back into the game for the people who want fish but do not want to jump through the hoops. Just limit the type of fish the old way can catch.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

You have made it unnecessarily complicated to cater to a small group that would enjoy it that way.

exactly that.

For example, so many steps to make the various lines, using different tools.

Why only 1 type of hook in the hooks section of the tackle box? Is this intended or a bug?

How does one get bark of an overaged birch tree?  using which tool?  which skill ?  same question with the rest of the bait items... etc.

• Like 2

They took a dumb system and made it more logical.  I'm fine with that.  I like fishing in real life and appreciate the complexity of the system.  Haven't caught anything yet either, but we'll see what the future holds.  My fishing skill is only 21 and that probably matters more now.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, perji said:

You don't always need hundreds of dollars worth of competition equipment to fish. Sometimes just a stick with a line and a hook does the job just fine.

That's exactly what the fishing pole is for. Requires nothing but a line and hook.

• Like 1

I used to spend hours just standing at the shore idle fishing and chatting with my Wurmian friends, but this has now been taken away from me completely. I am not happy with the new changes - Wurm is a game where nothing is ever easy, and now the ONE thing that was simple has been revamped into one of the most complicated game parts. I don't see how that benefits anyone. I'm sorry but I just can't get on board.

Edited by Yldrania
  • Like 9

I've only tried spear-fishing so far, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

The old fishing system was a bit too simple and basically had you sitting afk. The new system requires active attention, which is fine, but when I only get a chance to catch a fish once per minute or so, and probably fail at it, and lucky if I even get a single chance for a skill tick per minute... I don't know about it. At ~42 skill and with a 75QL rare spear, I was only able to catch two fish in the span of 5-10 minutes, and only got a single skill tick. The two fish were small and around 15QL.

The thing I used to like about Wurm fishing is that it was relaxing. Granted, it was relaxing because I didn't really have to pay constant attention, but now I'm just paying attention in a way that feels kind of tedious and with low returns.

I like the idea, but it might need a little bit of tweaking. Of course, this is just a first impression; maybe I'd get better results spear-fishing from a boat instead of standing on the shore, but then the boat might get in the way of targeting the fish.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

5. All in all I feel it has become complicated enough that it is a game unto itself.  If you want to get good at it now you have to devote ALL your time to it and ignore the rest of the game.  And I'm saying this as someone with 99.70 fishing skill already, so it doesn't make much difference to me on skillgain.  You have made it unnecessarily complicated to cater to a small group that would enjoy it that way.  Look at how much you can take out to make this more simple to do.

That's all I have for now.  After I get to really do some fishing with all these rods, reels, nets, etc. I'll let you know what I think of that.

Wanted to focus on your 5th point.  In order to make a fishing rod and all the tackle, you need 4 different skills:  jewelrycrafting, cloth tailoring, ropemaking and fine carpentry JUST to get a decent rod to fish with.  Could we maybe make all the lines either cloth tailoring or ropemaking?

23 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

They took a dumb system and made it more logical.  I'm fine with that.  I like fishing in real life and appreciate the complexity of the system.  Haven't caught anything yet either, but we'll see what the future holds.  My fishing skill is only 21 and that probably matters more now.

So if we want it like in RL why do we need to depend on clicking half the time and skill the rest. Let's remove the skills and just click to catch the fish, right lick to start coil the line, move the mouse left and right to fight the fish and if we do not to it at the correct time and order to loose the fish. Also in real life there is almost no way to lose a small fish. There should be a balance between realism and convenience. If I spend more time in a game to catch a simple fish than I spend in RL this is too much!

21 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

That's exactly what the fishing pole is for. Requires nothing but a line and hook.

I didn't manage to use my fishing pole. It asked me to transform it to the new pole which uses all this floats and baits and line and etc.

Edited by SasnycoN
  • Like 2

Good point

1 minute ago, Mataleao said:

I want HARPOONS.

I want to hunt whales.

Tharrrr she blows!

They just need to have yo add a cordage rope to the spear, voila, a harpoon.  Harpoon guns would be much later.

• Like 1

Guessing no one fishes in real life except community ponds.

When you are fresh water lake fishing trying for big fish a pole won't cut it all the time.  You can catch a catfish with corn, but try fighting a 20+ pound freshwater catfish in real life with a pole and simple line.  I've had to put on gloves and pull the fishing line in with my hands because the poll can't take it.  Can have a good fight with a small mouth bass.  Large mouth is about the same fight.  Well to me at least.  Don't know if it's large or small mouth until I reel it in all the way.  You'd think the large mouth would be stronger....or I'm just stronger....muaahaahaa...

When salt water beach fishing you need a steel lead most of the time so the teeth of the fish don't cut the line.  If it's heavy fish (heavy bait) you need to use bait casting instead of a spinning reel.  Spinning reel works most of the time since not trying for sharks or redfish, but those pesky redfish stealing your bait and hook with it makes you think maybe a shark near you, especially when taking my steel line with it.

Kind of disappointed we don't have to use big heavy baits while deep sea fishing......or I haven't gotten that far yet.  Can't catch a shark with a worm in real life.  Sharks want to smell blood.

Also when you real life fishing you spend the night before creating a bunch of jigs you can use while out in the water.  Making jigs is half the fun of fishing.  Wish making custom jigs was part of the update since it seems we can fly fish?

Went ocean fishing with someone that brought a spinning reel.  He couldn't keep up with us using bait casting.  He could catch a fish, but couldn't reel it in because was too much for the reel to handle.  Then his rod broke half later in the day through the 6 hour fishing trip.  Good thing I keep backups so he wasn't left out.

I guess I am disappointed about one thing in this update.  There's no 12 packs of beer to put in a cooler.  :D

I hope fishing is something new players can still do to feed themselves. I am a bit worried about level 70 & 90 players catching nothing, as that likely means fishing is no longer a viable source of food for new players, and instead is a complex "hobby" pastime for the highest level players.

It used to be some work to keep yourself fed as a newbie, a fishing pole was a big help, but sounds like this ratchets up the difficulty by a huge amount. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

I guess I am disappointed about one thing in this update.  There's no 12 packs of beer to put in a cooler.  :D 

But you can take a keg with you.  Kegger party on the beach!

2 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I hope fishing is something new players can still do to feed themselves. I am a bit worried about level 70 & 90 players catching nothing, as that likely means fishing is no longer a viable source of food for new players, and instead is a complex pastime for the highest level players.

It used to be some work to keep yourself fed as a newbie, but sounds like this ratchets up the difficulty by a huge amount. 

There is no way new player can rely on fishing for constant food source. I'm a new player, playing for a week now. Until this patch I was able to catch enough fish to fed myself. I catch nothing since the last patch.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SasnycoN said:

There is no way new player can rely on fishing for constant food source. I'm a new player, playing for a week now. Until this patch I was able to catch enough fish to fed myself. I catch nothing since the last patch.

That is a very major disappointment.

So now fishing is basically, a rich man's hobby in the game. A way to relieve boredom for veterans running out of things to do.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Guessing no one fishes in real life except community ponds.

While you was on a fishing trips, how many twigs do the bushes had? Because in wurm you can check every bush in 100x100 tile range and do not find a single twig in the bush. Super realistic huh. Same with the worms (wurms). Also when you fish and the fish baits out of how many times you do manage to hook it? My girlfriend manages to hook a fish at least 80% of the time when she tries fishing (with float) for a very first time.

Because I'm fishing in real life (lakes and rivers) and I can tell you that neither the bushes nor the fish baiting works like that.

The system is over complicated. And I'm not talking about the crafting. I like that. But the whole need to constantly stare at the monitor and click the float in 3D space while selecting a 2D tile and fail 100 out of 100 times. Try to fish in Wurm not only craft your pole and when you actually catch something then tell me how good it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SasnycoN said:

While you was on a fishing trips, how many twigs do the bushes had? Because in wurm you can check every bush in 100x100 tile range and do not find a single twig in the bush. Super realistic huh.

most likely hasn't spawned yet, most things gathered either have a time restriction (like how foraged tiles can take a day or two to replenish) or it'd be on tree age growth, its most likely on one of these systems, which one is yet to be worked out.

• Like 1