Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Keep failing to catch fish 99.5 fishing

I'm really struggling to finish my goal of 100 fishing atm. I'm not sure why I am struggling to catch basic fish either. I've tried fishing pole, rod, switched out lines, reels etc.  Whenever I see a fish its going super fast near my float; I click on it and it escapes always. I have yet to catch a fish this way! I do not have any special cursor either, most of the time the fish swims into land before I manage to click. The FoV is only so big you know? 

Spear fishing is super easy but I haven't gained skill from that, you get a cursor to aim with so what's the deal with actual fishing not having this and why do they swim twice as fast vs spear?

Also I'm not gaining decent skill using the net fishing system either. Someone said that this was similar to the old system but the gains in general have been gutted so hard.

Any feedback I can get here will be appreciated.

• Like 1

I had this issue with fishing as well at first. It turns out that if you wait for a message to appear about something nibbling on your hook/bait, and you then click on the floater (near it might work as well), you'll hook the fish and start reeling it in. I was trying to click the pesky fish as well last night, to no avail. Had it swim on land and disappear on me continuously, if it even really showed up. When the message showed the fish were generally near the float but not always. More importantly I noticed that it doesn't even give an outline for the fish to click, so it was just an animation rather than interactive object.

It was a bit frustrating until I discovered the "click on/near float" part through trial and error. After that it's quite amusing to play around with.

[09:38:00] You cast the line and start fishing.

*Fish starts swimming near the float*

[09:38:59] You feel something nibble on the line.

*click on float*

[09:39:00] You hooked a catfish!

And then bunch of messages on you vs the fish fighting to see if you win on getting it caught.

[09:39:50] The catfish managed to jump the hook!

Sadly this example it won :(

Edited by Raamkozijn
  • Like 2

I gave up on fishing after multiple 'the fish gets bored and swims away' messages, Ill wait till there are some fixes as I believe there is a few bugs still to be ironed out - eg: if you move while spear fishing the fish turns into a pile of items and you cannot pick it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhianna said:

I gave up on fishing after multiple 'the fish gets bored and swims away' messages,

I had those messages as well....

After some messing around I notice fishing has changed from what was on the test server. The right click 'fish' just gets you ready to cast 'You stand still and get ready to cast', you then need to move the target and click again to select where you want to cast. 'You cast the line and start fishing'. I don't see any target while fishing, it almost seems as if clicking anywhere will catch the fish when something nibbles on the line.

@Niki

what's your latency?

are you on xana?

could be lag

win+r> resmon> go to disk tab( or any other)> find wurm's process(jp2launcher.exe)> check it> peek at [Network] tab for j2plauncher's latency

If this fishing update is latency dependent then you can count everyone in Oceania out of being able to fish. Lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

@Niki

what's your latency?

are you on xana?

could be lag

win+r> resmon> go to disk tab( or any other)> find wurm's process(jp2launcher.exe)> check it> peek at [Network] tab for j2plauncher's latency

general east coast latency, there is major desync with fish atm though

if you listen for the splashing noise it tells you a fish is about to approach or you get the nibbling message then click on the fish.

- and yes I have worked it out -get the red target and mouse the float around over tiles till you get the float looking red and white like a target, left click till you get the green float with the line and fish :) Hope that helps others who may be wondering how.

3 hours ago, Rudie said:

If this fishing update is latency dependent then you can count everyone in Oceania out of being able to fish. Lol.

Its not, budda and I did testing so we'd have picked up on that 

49 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

everybody needs to update their twitch reflexes 

It’s been some time since people around these parts improved their actual body control stats.

In a game like Wurm, I expect my toons to be doing the fiddly twitching. :P

• Like 2