Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The building of Haven's Landing

As you all know from the various showcases, discussions and patch notes, Haven's Landing will be the new single spawn point for new players into the game. It comes with a lot of special features, such as the ability for players to build houses in the perimeter, open crafting zones for new and old players alike, and a design aimed at encouraging players to not just pass through, but spend their time there living. 

As this was designed, we decided to record the building of it as best we could, using the awesome timelapse feature of Wurm, a poor GM left in the cold, and lots of use of the weather tool, we recorded some amazing shots of the deed being built. We hope you all enjoy watching it almost as much as we did building it, and that you drop in and check it out sometime! 

• Like 29

Maybe I've missed it, but does this mean no more tutorial server (GV) but rather when a new character is created, they will default to the Independence server? Will there then be an option for them to portal to another server, or will it be up to them to travel to another server if that's where they want to settle?

• Like 1

Makes me want to go see this as a completed work, and as soon as I'm able, that's exactly what I'll do, pretty sure I can manage to find room for another alt ;)

31 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

drop in and check it out sometime! 

How ?

Is this the new Golden Valley? 

Very nice! 

Edit: oh it is on Inde - but where ?

Edited by Baloo

Very good idea to offer newbies (and Elders) a better start experience ?

Oh, the possibilities of big impalongs, i hope there is a harbour nearby ?

Edited by Daryan_AT
  • Like 1

I am trying out the new tutorial now. I have just discovered the Digging Area, Woodcutting Area and Mining Area. Gorgeous new parklike areas with their own custom statues.  Dig dig dig! Chop chop chop!  I have a large smile on my face :D

I am sure word of mouth about using /skiptutorial will quickly spread among those who want it (they already know how to play, OR have friends online to teach them), but I forsee a new generation of brand new starter players being far less frustrated in the upcoming New & Improved version of Wurm. I am a firm believer that HANDS ON LEARNING is a thousand times better than "read a thousand signs". Apparently those who skip the tutorial can later retake it bby using /tutorial (probably does not teleport you to the original tutorial, just walks you through the steps again where you now are) (or, maybe it does portal you back, I dunno!!)

Beautiful AND functional, a winning combination!

updates as I go:

• very minor feedback #1, I ended up needing to cut down two trees to progress the treecutting section, which is not an issue unless a very large group go through the tutorial at one time and if the trees do not respawn quickly. I am not sure how to avoid that and it may not be an issue unless all the trees get cut too quickly. If there is a way to expand the woodcutter section, it might be needed as players cannot progress the tutorial until they have cut one (and on the right page). ** Actually I guess they can simply  go outside to the perimeter to chop down one of the thousands of trees out there....
  • "As a free player on Wurm Online, your skills are limited to a maximum of 20. This limit is then removed while you are a premium player or during special event weekends."   ---    VERY INTERESTING ..... I am quite curious to see what is planned there.
  • Perimeter has some very interesting little trails and tons of terracing and spots that look rather fun for a new player to set up a starter shack (which I believe Retro suggested would be allowed/encouraged). This perimeter area is HUGE. And .. It's pretty!

I am actually ENJOYING exploring this area.  Kudos to the team for a fantastic improvement. 

PS: I just spotted some sort of portal. Going to check it  it is only to Epic, or also to other islands.

*** PORTAL ALLOWS TRANSFER TO ALL FREEDOM & EPIC ISLANDS. It seems to be a one way option. I am not sure I want to try it yet to confirm how it works (or if it works) but the green text alows a choice of starter areas for servers (Xanadu) that have more than one.

Also just spotted a beautiful large building named "Freedom Apartments", not quite finished inside but I do spot scattered beds. This must be part of what they mean about encouraging new players to hang out around spawn and learn the game before taking off for the wilderness, not a bad idea at all!

Color Me Impressed.  This is super encouraging and, to me, suggests they have very concrete future plans to "resell" Wurm to the gaming community. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 7
  • Cat 1

5 hours ago, Schiann said:

Maybe I've missed it, but does this mean no more tutorial server (GV) but rather when a new character is created, they will default to the Independence server? Will there then be an option for them to portal to another server, or will it be up to them to travel to another server if that's where they want to settle?

My rough guess is, before advertising Wurm again,  they want to encourage one main 'active' well populated server. Although Xanadu would normally be the obvious choice, it has severe performance issues handling large numbers. I have finished the tutorial and seen no portals to other servers(there is a portal, see other post, goes to all Epic & Freedom servers, probably one way) I may have missed them as the new area is VERY large, but I believe open to Indy at large and they probably not want instant travel for all players to all servers. I am guessing other servers will be an option new players have to work out the old fashioned way (boats etc).  

Which means Indy, having almost a decade of experience at handling large swarms of new players, could become the 'main' server with many optional other servers people can migrate to. Although it may not be a choice everyone is happy with, they seem to be going for "best of both worlds" with one active server and other more spread out options on the other servers for those escaping the crowds. 

• Like 4

Nice reviews of the new Tutorial area Brash. I like this whole concept very much, as well as it being located on the Independence server rather than the isolation of Golden Valley. New players can just stick close and build their shacks in the perimeter until they get the desire to move on. This is really like Golden Valley used to be too and yet having this on a functioning premium server offers a much better transition into the general player population.

The whole area looks beautifully done from what I could tell in the time lapse video but it is hard to get a clear look at the finished product so I may be curious enough and make a new character to visit there as you did. Also Retro seems to be a bit sly as to it's location for those who might like to make a trip to and through Independence to visit it. Where the heck exactly is it located I wonder?

Then there remains the question of what will happen with the Golden Valley server. Perhaps this would be the perfect location and opportunity to create a Hunting server out of it. Time reveals all.....

=Ayes=

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

Also Retro seems to be a bit sly as to it's location for those who might like to make a trip to and through Independence to visit it. Where the heck exactly is it located I wonder?  

I have been away from Independence (and Wurm Online) for close to four years now, so the server will have changed a lot in that time. I can see Dragonfang but it is much farther off than I would expect if it were Tich's old area (but a wonderful wonderful testimonial to her if it is her old place.) I have to dig out compass I guess to see if this is NEWS of DF. There is a guardtower here marked "silver highway", built by Bridgett, surely that is a major clue, I will try to do a few screenshots with identifying landmarks.

edit: I got disconnected before figuring out my compass to see which way dragonfang is, and this is NOT a good screenshot (bad time of day plus not a great computer) , but may give a clue how far off it is  from the fang:

u4u6noj.png

There is also another mountain, sculpted to look like a mostly flattened top with a pyramid sculpting at its top, roughly equal distance but in another direction, probably well known to Indy players (I did not recognize it)  I will have to log in later though to grab a screen.

I am pretty sure veteran Indy players must have found this location by now, it would be very hard to keep all this a secret....those sly sly devs!

EDIT: Sounds like SILVER HIGHWAY is in SOUTHEAST INDY SE of Maple Island and maybe near Dadd's old Crystal City area? Unsure... but a long long way from the Howl and Central Indy. I did see a harbor with a dock, but not a lot of boats or anything to suggest a well settled area. Someplace very very  remote, which is exactly what SE Indy is. Last time I was out in remote far SE Indy, it was Troll Country (shivers in her newbie leather boots). It may not be easy running to the center, I did not check if portal to starter towns included The Howl. (makes note to check)

*** I think I said someplace else but can;t find it now so let me repeat here, I see right close by to the north the Silver Mountain Highway Tunnel, the highway runs alongside this area which is just to the south of the tunnel. 

The pendulum now swings frantically! There is something here! 

M9dlDC4.jpg

• Like 1

I am not 100 percent sure but I imagine any Wurm player -maybe- can get here by typing /tutorial, and hopefully then allowed to take the portal back to their home server...??? 

May be restricted to those who do not yet have "Educated" title???

LET'S TRY

(you not me)

(Be careful before trying in case you get stranded though.)

I might try skilling up enough to make a newbie shack in the huge huge perimeter, which Retro said new players are encourage to settle in for their "first homes". 

• Like 1

Another finding - cannot progress the tutorial at a point doing it on the starter deed as dropping an item is not allowed.

The idea of the tutorial is nice and I got "forced" to sneak peak it as I got it popped up on my seasoned priest on Epic. There comes /skiptutorial handy...

Just now, Jaz said:

Another finding - cannot progress the tutorial at a point doing it on the starter deed as dropping an item is not allowed.

The idea of the tutorial is nice and I got "forced" to sneak peak it as I got it popped up on my seasoned priest on Epic. There comes /skiptutorial handy...

Hmm, I dropped a lot of items, I wonder if they changed it thanks to new players dropping tooo many? Maybe they need a TRASH HEAP....

I will need to retest then ... I'm not there now though.

I dropped logs quite close to the token, and dropped dirt in the digging area. Maybe they switched it on AFTER realizing people could not progress?

There was a very mysterious "Fivefinger, Chieftain of Lomaner", not sure what that title signifies, player or GM?

Anyway watching how people fared.

I think I need to edit and tag this post as "spoiler" as it is  ***super***  picture heavy and may slow down the page, click link below for LOTS of pictures!!:

edit, I think I overwrote my spoiler tags, let me try again

Much better locational clue (at least for Indy veterans):

4Jg5phn.jpg

a little more counterclockwise (ie facing southish not NW)  gives you this:

ojBZVP6.jpg

There is a Rockcliff Chapel which I think (???) may be named after Tich's old deed, but this is not her old deed.

There is also a "Golden Valley Market" which I assume is a nostalgia name for a new market area commemorating the original starter area.

(Rockcliff chapel is righ, GV Market is left:)

Dd20Evi.jpg

I think that may be the Silver Highway guardtower by Brodget in the middle, but I may have gotten turned around. 

The whole area is SOOO HUGE that  I cannot possibly capture it in a few screenshots. But I will add a few more in a bit.

Another shot ofRockcliff Chapel, I have not yet had time to go inside:

la9Vbmq.jpg

I believe this is the Silver Highway I am standing on here: 

cJxnJm4.jpg

Several nice newbie crafting and mining areas:  

vxUJbf5.jpg

There is also a "Samling Manor" (right) in honor I think of Indy's very first starter area circa 2010:

kfCtDm4.jpg

TUTORIAL AREAS FOR MINING, WOODCUTTING, TERRAFRMING:

XFsdbEx.jpg

IMjaZju.jpg

c5jklGl.jpg

Km53K2e.jpg

Unless I missed it, they might want to add a 2x2 clay/tar area, perhaps  near the terraforming. Maybe there is already clay down by the water edge though ...

I am very very fond of the idea that the huge huge perimeter is buildable (but not deedable) by the newbs. 

Yes yes their little humble abodes will quickly crumble and be replaced by other newbie shacks -- but not where the Indy elite have to worry about seeing it all. 

And since it is perimeter (fast decay?) unlikely that veterans will move in to build 80Q stonework homesteads.

They will have a happy community of new players circling a beautiful parklike University.

edOcn5M.jpg

This is indeed a very warm and attractive introduction to Wurm Online. First impressions count!

(And yet, one designed for them to eventually outgrow and move on from ...)

My heart overfloweth with happiness. I cannot adequately express how impressed I am.

This is a SUPERB Christmas Present to the Wurm Community at large.

And I cannot help but think this is a hint of a major advertising push once all the bits and pieces are finished.

• Like 3

I just completed the tutorial and I must say it is a huge improvement to the previous one! The deed itself is gorgeous, and I love the idea of encouraging new players to stay in the area for a bit to craft and build, etc. 

I am such a huge fan of this game, and am constantly recommending it to everyone I meet. I am so thrilled that we have a new tutorial, as it will be new players first impression of Wurm. The landscape and builds are so lovely it will definitely encourage both old and new players to spend time in the area.

Looking at the tutorial through newbie eyes, a few things came to mind that newer players might find a bit confusing. Please keep in mind that I am a slow learner, so most of these issues are probably intuitive to most new players.

I did the tutorial at night, and it was so dark I had trouble seeing. Some lighting would be a huge help. When it said to dig dirt, I couldn't see where dirt was, and ran around looking for dirt for a while. I saw grass but no dirt. When I finally came up on the digging area, I was confused because there was sand beyond the gate, not dirt.

When it came to the Woodcutting part of the tutorial, I chopped a tree but the tree was too young so it just gave one walnut log instead of a felled tree, so I couldn't make logs. I knew to cut a second tree but newbies would be confused by this.

Because it was night time,  it was quite hard to see what was on the ground. I had a difficult time locating the log I chopped in the dark, especially with many stumps, felled trees and piles of logs everywhere.

When I tried to make kindling, I think I got "useless" four times, might be helpful to tell players to keep trying if they fail initially, and that at low skill level it takes more than one try to create kindling. Otherwise they might think they are doing something wrong. 

I had a hard time locating the mining area. Signs would be most helpful, as would lights. When I tried to mine iron, it told me "This is protected by the gods", which was confusing. I did end up finding a mine-able vein but new players might be confused. It might be helpful to explain how to mine (activate pickaxe then right click the iron vein and select Mine) since most newbies will probably forget how to mine once they finally make it to the iron vein.

Lastly, the tutorial windows that popped up would overlap each other, and I wasn't sure how to move them as a newbie (click and drag to move seems obvious, but it wasn't to me as a new player). Not sure if there is a way to prevent this overlap or not.

All in all, the entire experience was a hundred times better than the previous tutorial - and I am very excited at the thought of it being the entry point for new players. Thank you to everyone who put the time and energy into revamping the tutorial and creating this beautiful deed!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Liya said:

I just completed the tutorial and I must say it is a huge improvement to the previous one! The deed itself is gorgeous, and I love the idea of encouraging new players to stay in the area for a bit to craft and build, etc. 

I am such a huge fan of this game, and am constantly recommending it to everyone I meet. I am so thrilled that we have a new tutorial, as it will be new players first impression of Wurm. The landscape and builds are so lovely it will definitely encourage both old and new players to spend time in the area.

Looking at the tutorial through newbie eyes, a few things came to mind that newer players might find a bit confusing. Please keep in mind that I am a slow learner, so most of these issues are probably intuitive to most new players.

I did the tutorial at night, and it was so dark I had trouble seeing. Some lighting would be a huge help. When it said to dig dirt, I couldn't see where dirt was, and ran around looking for dirt for a while. I saw grass but no dirt. When I finally came up on the digging area, I was confused because there was sand beyond the gate, not dirt.

When it came to the Woodcutting part of the tutorial, I chopped a tree but the tree was too young so it just gave one walnut log instead of a felled tree, so I couldn't make logs. I knew to cut a second tree but newbies would be confused by this.

Because it was night time,  it was quite hard to see what was on the ground. I had a difficult time locating the log I chopped in the dark, especially with many stumps, felled trees and piles of logs everywhere.

When I tried to make kindling, I think I got "useless" four times, might be helpful to tell players to keep trying if they fail initially, and that at low skill level it takes more than one try to create kindling. Otherwise they might think they are doing something wrong. 

I had a hard time locating the mining area. Signs would be most helpful, as would lights. When I tried to mine iron, it told me "This is protected by the gods", which was confusing. I did end up finding a mine-able vein but new players might be confused. It might be helpful to explain how to mine (activate pickaxe then right click the iron vein and select Mine) since most newbies will probably forget how to mine once they finally make it to the iron vein.

Lastly, the tutorial windows that popped up would overlap each other, and I wasn't sure how to move them as a newbie (click and drag to move seems obvious, but it wasn't to me as a new player). Not sure if there is a way to prevent this overlap or not.

All in all, the entire experience was a hundred times better than the previous tutorial - and I am very excited at the thought of it being the entry point for new players. Thank you to everyone who put the time and energy into revamping the tutorial and creating this beautiful deed!

Thanks for the feedback! We went sand to drop trees from growing in that area, so a few things I've taken from this

1) Haven's landing needs light (will work on it asap)

2) tutorial needs to include sand in text

3) tutorial needs to specify old+

4) tutorial needs to explain failing and skill success

5) more signs at havens landing

6) fix protection in the mine

7) tutorial needs to explain mining better

whether the tutorial overlapping is a possible fix I'll ask about

Thank you for your feedback, and your kind words! 

• Like 2

Hey!  Thanks for moving a second spawn point away from me. First time I drop everything to deed near Samling, you move the spawn point shortly after. Move to the Howl area and set up shop to get close again ...  boom gone yet again.  Suppose I should start taking this pesonally.   :(

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Hey!  Thanks for moving a second spawn point away from me. First time I drop everything to deed near Samling, you move the spawn point shortly after. Move to the Howl area and set up shop to get close again ...  boom gone yet again.  Suppose I should start taking this pesonally.   :(

We told you if you showered it'd be possible

Kidding aside, the howl is still a spawn point, it's just not THE only spawn point of indy. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We told you if you showered it'd be possible

Kidding aside, the howl is still a spawn point, it's just not THE only spawn point of indy. 

I can already see the long lines of dead nekid non villagers lining up to shop, after they spawn at the Howl.

I see you used common  rift spawn area .

Also noticed you name the Chapel Rockcliff ??    Is the one Tich made still below Dragon Fang  at her old Rockcliff deed still up ?

I figured if you were going to make a memorial it would have been that area  not at Haven ..

Place is well laid out , but something seems like its missing ... cant put my finger on it at the moment ...

If you have an option between putting a memorial where hundreds may see it, or a spot where maybe a dozen will see it, which to choose?

I guess it depends on how much you want that particular person remembered.

This way also, longtime players may coment on it to new players. "See that chapel? It was named after one of the devs who was with wurm a really long time and did a lot of the new cool content." 

or, "Why is there a rockcliff chapel when there is no rock and no cliff?" "Well, thats because it is named after Tich's place ..."

• Like 1