Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The building of Haven's Landing

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

When you die havens landing is in the drop down menu

The dirt/sand thing might need some rewording in the tutorial, since dirt would allow grass to grow on it

What he means from a "I am a stuck new player perspective" is to press the F1 button on your keyboard so the console appears. Type /suicide and you will die instantly. At that point you can select the Havens Landing deed from the drop down menu and presto you should be back in business.

Be aware that typing /suicide will cause you a small amount of lost skill however as a new player the amount loss will be very, very small and easily recoverable in a short period of time.

Thanks, everyone!  Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread with my "personal" problems. :)  But if I'm correct about the following, it might be worth changing as well for new players.  I didn't experiment with it, but the default on the drop-down is "Start" (which starts out collapsed), which I assume is what sent me to The Howl.  I could be wrong about that being the destination, but I don't remember having a choice--didn't even notice it was a drop-down.  Send me back to "Start" seems logical.

• Like 2

@RetrogradeI am noticing that a lot of the Lawn tiles inside of Haven's Landing have been "packed". Is there any reason to allow players to do this? I notice that there is a setting under Digging for "Pack", so the ability can be removed for "non-citizens" if desired. Then you will have a lot of Lawn tiles to replace to make the place look nice again...

=Ayes=

On 3/8/2019 at 12:31 AM, Tuxro said:

Total newbie here and I, too, was confused about "dirt" digging.  Found a place in the training forest that was bare dirt and was able to dig there.  But the real disappointment was after all the time figuring out how to make a small anvil and finally doing it, exploring around town I was killed by a Hell Hound (too encumbered to outrun it), and respawned in The Howl.  Seriously doubt I'll be able to make it back to my corpse and get my stuff.  That's a pretty heavy blow for someone just starting out.

I know your feeling. When I started Wurm I've first settled in the far north on Independence. I could soon run from The Howl to north with blindfolds on - a long run every time. Even once I had to collect my corpse from a mountainside deep south - now that was an adventure still on foot..

...and yes you get a dropdown menu to select spawn point when you die - not too obvious at first sight full of death-adrenaline.

3 hours ago, Ayes said:

@RetrogradeI am noticing that a lot of the Lawn tiles inside of Haven's Landing have been "packed". Is there any reason to allow players to do this? I notice that there is a setting under Digging for "Pack", so the ability can be removed for "non-citizens" if desired. Then you will have a lot of Lawn tiles to replace to make the place look nice again...

=Ayes=

No clue what you're talking about, haven't been there... but it's possible that many have walked over the tile and that have caused it to turn into packed dirt.

At dev maze on xana.. there was a nice green yard.. where the amount of players walking/running around caused the tiles to convert to dirt... maybe packed dirt..
I can't remember.. but walking over them.. can cause at least 1 of the 2 effects for grass, possibly for lawn also?

16 hours ago, Finnn said:

No clue what you're talking about, haven't been there... but it's possible that many have walked over the tile and that have caused it to turn into packed dirt.

That is why I addressed my post to @Retrogradeas he has the ability to check and adjust the deed settings. Also, I just went to the token at Haven's Landing with my alt and saw that the role for "Visitors" does indeed have the "Pack" box ticked. Went and packed 1 tile too to confirm.

=Ayes=

I just started as a noob and finished the tutorial. Now I'm exploring the area, Ist fantastic. Seeing the fishes in the harbor waters makes me want to start fishing asap. I wish there would be a tutorial for pottery and tailoring, too. There's a tutorial for fishing but, as it seems, it's veeeery complicated to get a net, pole rod or whatever you need for fishing.

At the moment I want to make a quiver and some arrows to Train archery. So you need clay for a pottery flask, don't you? But where to find clay? I started to search in the harbour region and... no, no clay, but got killed twice by a crocodile and some other beast. Sure, the weapon is trash but I lost with the beasts nearly unharmed because the tutorial gives no hints about fighting or hunting. Couldn't there be some easier Monsters first with some hints how to fight?

So you get the general idea. The tutorial covers digging, woodcutting, crafting ( the very basics, that is) mining, smelting and smithing. That's it. That's ok for me because I can learn lots of things with the wurmpedia but some more training areas would be nice. And maybe a big map of Heaven's Landing in the center of the starting area. Saves you from getting lost. Remember, we are all noobs here with no idea how the game works when we start.

• Like 3

Assuming that HAVEN will be the template for the new server spawns/tutorials, are there any MAJOR changes players can see? 

What worked well and what didn't work?

I ran through the Haven tutorial when it first went into game, at that time it seemed !GREAT! (considering before we had pretty much nothing after the old GV tiutorial was removed) but I am sure since then people have seen issues and/or things that should definitely be included or considered for the new server.

Does only PVE get such a place? I can see on PVP it might be smarter to immediately absorb them into an existing kingdom, but on the other hand should there be a small 'safe' area when new characters can acclimate while they look for a kingdom?

Lose the merchant building, that doesn't let people place merchants.

Is there any pen in HL where I could put free horses for newbies? 

Well newbies cannot ride horses, so they will probably instead do the only thing they can do with them. Eat them.

Probably be better off leaving them in the care of someone with a deed in the local area willing to give them to players who ask for them in Local and can actually use them for something better than Breakfast.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

37 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Well newbies cannot ride horses, so they will probably instead do the only thing they can do with them. Eat them.

Probably be better off leaving them in the care of someone with a deed in the local area willing to give them to players who ask for them in Local and can actually use them for something better than Breakfast.

You can hitch horses to large carts, also taking care for animals and watching them grow up is a nice aspect of the game. 

Edited by Platyna

They also cannot drive large carts.

Taking care of animals is a lovely aspect of the game, my absolute hands down very favorite part of the game. However only a very tiny percentage of new players settle right around haven and stay there long enough to get the body stats to drive horses or command carts.  Meantime, after the first 24 hours, those same new players are getting very hungry.  I would suggest making an offdeed pen for them, titled something appropriate like FREE HORSES, but again be aware the vast majority of these will end up as someone's Breakfast if you do not have any control on how/when people can take them. This is why finding someone local to the area to act as a horse foster home is probably the very best solution, they can talk to the player and make sure they understand that if very new, they cannot ride the horse, they cannot drive them on a cart, and they cannot take them through the portal to other servers. I am not even sure whether people can even lead horses on Haven that do not already belong to them.  If you have a special pen for them at Haven, people are going to start reporting other people to the GMs for eating them for breakfast, or wantonly killing them all for fight skill, or leading them off deed to kill them if not allowed to kill ondeed, or if they are not allowed to lead ondeed, well then they don't have much purpose there after all except as decorations that occasionally die of old age or all get disease from bunching up. A "free horses pen" works really good on WU servers where new players actually have a use for them, since most can ride them right away on the majority of WU server.

Here, they would probably actually prefer a sheep (milkable!) or a cow (rideable and milkable!), and then one person is simply going to grab them all once they have actually found a way to build a pen to keep them in.  In any case it is only going to be a headache for staff now being called on to oversee the proper use and care of the horses. It is something better handled by the player community.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I asked about if there is a pen in HL where I could put free horses for the new players, if they want to eat them, I have no problem with that.

Edited by Platyna

Why not free cows?  They CAN ride them, and if they don't wish to lead an animal home to a pasture because they have neither pasture nor home yet (true new characters don't), they could at least be available for milking which needs only a wooden bucket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tristanc said:

Why not free cows?  They CAN ride them, and if they don't wish to lead an animal home to a pasture because they have neither pasture nor home yet (true new characters don't), they could at least be available for milking which needs only a wooden bucket.

The reason is simple, I don't have free cows, I am a horse breeder. 

Hi Platyna.  By the time your new character has raised Animal Handling up to the point where you have extra horses to give away, there will be many other characters on the server who have raised their Body Control enough to be able to ride who would appreciate the free horses.  After watching the time-lapse build video, it looks like there are several areas that could be used for this.  When you're at that point, I'm sure a GM would be happy to help set it up for you.  :)

I don't speak for the GM staff, of course, but by the time you have those spare horses I'm guessing the GM staff won't be quite a busy as they will be when the new server launches.

Well I am then waiting for a GM to point me to the pens I can use to put the horses in, as I have them. 😉 

Edited by Platyna

Um, how do you have horses when the server isn't even open yet?  You know you will have to create a brand new character to play on the steam server, right?

Maybe I'm the one who's confused?

Edited by Ricowan

19 minutes ago, Ricowan said:

Um, how do you have horses when the server isn't even open yet?  You know you will have to create a brand new character to play on the steam server, right?

Maybe I'm the one who's confused?

Yep, he's talking about the spawn for new players on indy.

• Like 1

This is a 2018 thread about the Haven on Indy. Nothing to do with the new server.

There is a pen for free horses up the hill from haven.

• Like 1