Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The building of Haven's Landing

19 hours ago, Jaz said:

[18:37:31] You enter Boar Hill.
[18:37:31] You enter Freedom Isles.
[18:37:31] No other players are online taking tutorials (662 totally in Wurm).
[18:37:31] Type /help for available commands.

No, GV is up and I suppose it will be so if I understand correctly Wurm server hierarchy.

Still it would be nice to allow the toons existing on GV to roam freely now that it is a legacy planet :P

Glad to hear, I got allies that still got there toons there since ages .

Retrograde, any plans to create a rock shard mining area that can be accessed from on deed anywhere that would lead out to perimeter tiles that could be mined?

=Ayes=

We just add Haven's Market with mini hotel just few tiles away from "start" for newbs. Its also located by water and used for public boat parking. I hope that will help, Enjoy it 

18 hours ago, Ayes said:

Retrograde, any plans to create a rock shard mining area that can be accessed from on deed anywhere that would lead out to perimeter tiles that could be mined?

=Ayes=

No plans, rock shards are too few to make it feasible. 

As you can see in the creation videos, the rock layer is specifically raised in those areas, the real rock layer is some 500 dirts below (got to love indys dirt level) 

It also has a zone that replenishes ores if they get too low, it's not possible to do that with rock. 

i would love to see other ores in there...  not just iron.  could be of low ql, so players can see what wurm have deep underground

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

As you can see in the creation videos, the rock layer is specifically raised

Thanks for the response. True enough, I forgot about that aspect. Will just have to continue to use one rock shard mine I found close to the perimeter that extends into it. Only problem is that some nasty person decided to mine down the entry tile to a 35 slope after I had straightened the angles down to 21-22 slope gradually.

1 hour ago, Sila said:

i would love to see other ores in there...  not just iron

Actually there is another mine area on deed with various ores in it. Retro mentioned something about needing to fix it before others are allowed to mine in there. Not sure about what the status is on this or if it will just remain reserved for the deed developers.

=Ayes=

also i would love to see on all spawns we got same options for building houses in perimeter as you guys do at Haven's Landing. I belive that is great idea

Something I have noticed about new players going through the Tutorial is that many times they will ask where to go to dig or maybe some other spot to complete something. I will then say to them for instance to look at the house that says digging and go inside there. The problem is that they may have already wandered out of the area of these 3 houses.

In contrast the old tutorial area on GV of some time ago made players proceed through locked areas each of which they had to complete to proceed to the next and eventually finish by then being let out the end. This seems to me to be a better system than the new one at HL where it is now too easy for new players to get sort of lost outside of that area before completing it all.

I am not really sure if anything can be done about this with the new tutorial but I have noticed that there have been a lot of questions about where to go for the next step and strangely where to go to dig is the most frequent one asked. Something to consider improving somehow?

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 1:47 PM, Sila said:

also i would love to see on all spawns we got same options for building houses in perimeter as you guys do at Haven's Landing. I believe that is great idea

Other spawn points have standard or near standard perimeter. I gave up counting Haven's perimeter at 20. I doubt any server has space near spawns for that kind of perimeter to be added now.

Edited by Kelody

13 hours ago, Ayes said:

I am not really sure if anything can be done about this with the new tutorial but I have noticed that there have been a lot of questions about where to go for the next step and strangely where to go to dig is the most frequent one asked. Something to consider improving somehow?

I think it was the Discruntled Husband from Katnip's stream, who said something along the lines of "Not many people get the idea to "read" houses and there should additional signs."

Might be true, a new player could simply not notice the house names, while a sign would be a more clear "hey, look here, I'm a sign and most usually I have something to say"

• Cat 1

Iam curious, what lead to the decision to make Indie the only entry point for new players?

13 minutes ago, zeeph said:

Iam curious, what lead to the decision to make Indie the only entry point for new players?

Having one area where all the newbies can meet each other instead of being the only person in some random starter town in xanadu makes the game seem more populated, and there's portals to the other servers.

Which server would you liked to have seen it on?

18 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Having one area where all the newbies can meet each other instead of being the only person in some random starter town in xanadu makes the game seem more populated, and there's portals to the other servers.

Which server would you liked to have seen it on?

Its nice that all newbes start at the same position. More experienced ppl can settle around to recruit them from the spot or helping them somehow.

Also as more populated a area is, as more entertainment a newbe gets and might stay longer.

From my personal view indie is the only isle i wouldnt like to put the newcomers at. Idk if something changed there, but when i was there last year for 1-2 Weeks, there were almost non animals around and when we traveled across half the isle in the hope to find horses, we had to admit that indie (at least for us) is also ugly. Maybe our dislike for indie growed in general because of the lack of animals and our 3-4 hours long journey for them, but well we didnt see a single nice spot when we were there too. 

So if nothing has changed, hunting isnt rly a option there and getting animals for breeding or whatnot is also a real pain. With the lack of animals indie felt so empty and people might have it hard there to enjoy all the content wurm has to offer.

So idk why Indie, i think it wasnt decided by a dice throw.

Zeeph, I also noticed the lack of animals (mostly aggressive ones) around the Haven's Landing area and beyond it for a long ways few were to be found. This is in comparison to where I have my deed on Deliverance close to Green Dog. There if you venture just a short ways out into the woods you will find plenty to have to deal with. The only real option for horses on most servers though is just to get bred ones from current players which consider 3-4 speeds free to give away. So wild horse shortages is common on all servers I would say.

Despite this I would say that the location of Haven's Landing on the Independence server was a good choice. I disagree with it being an ugly area too as the variety of the lands make it beautiful to many choices of environments. Plenty of free land to deed in the nearby local areas too. Come to think of it the lack of a large supply of aggressive mobs make it safer for newer players to start out as well.

=Ayes=

On 1/18/2019 at 9:49 AM, zeeph said:

From my personal view indie is the only isle i wouldnt like to put the newcomers at. Idk if something changed there, but when i was there last year for 1-2 Weeks, there were almost non animals around and when we traveled across half the isle in the hope to find horses, we had to admit that indie (at least for us) is also ugly. Maybe our dislike for indie growed in general because of the lack of animals and our 3-4 hours long journey for them, but well we didnt see a single nice spot when we were there too.

Well, in my opinion, for a project as large as Haven's Landing, to be developped over months, and mostly unnoticed, only the two larger servers were an option (that Chaos is not one, should be obvious). A settlement that large on one of the smaller servers. would most likely have clashed with existing installations, at least in locations likely to that of Haven's Landing.

Xanadu is well known for latency and lag issues due to its size and number of creatures and objects and other reasons. It would not have served as a showcase for smooth run of Wurm, though I consider the often heard Xanadu bashing quite exaggerated.

The small servers also have an impressive quantity of agressive creatures, often stronger ones, and that especially on more remote places. Good chances for newcomers to be slain on their first exploration beyond the confinements of the starter area. Especially horses, often even cows, are extremely rare in many regions of  the smaller servers.

Maybe the devs have yet to provide at least some spawn of agressive creatures around HL to give the beginners an impression and teach them the use of guard towers. But I fail to see other places as well fit as HL on Indie.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:09 AM, Shmeric said:

I think it was the Discruntled Husband from Katnip's stream, who said something along the lines of "Not many people get the idea to "read" houses and there should additional signs."

Might be true, a new player could simply not notice the house names, while a sign would be a more clear "hey, look here, I'm a sign and most usually I have something to say"

Maybe Haven's Landing could do with a map. Probably better than cluttering the place with too many signs. Maybe something like one for the Wurm Academy (on Pristine). https://wurmacademy.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/chapter-18-a-stylish-map-of-the-academy/

Might also be an idea to add a hint somewhere in the tutorial about the names of buildings sometimes being important/helpful - like a guard tower with the map grid square in its name, or a 'safe house'...

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 11:39 PM, zeeph said:

There are instantly usable portals to all the servers so it's not like the "only" entry point, just the initial entry point. Xanadu would seem logical except .. Xanadu (and almost all similar sized servers in WU) quickly develop severe performance issues.

Indy, back in 2011ish, used to have 800-1200 people online at any one time. Yes, we haven't seen THAT on a server in a long time. Lots and lots of fights over scarce land, lots of drama with overcrowding and conflicts between 'premiums' and 'F2P', but the one thing there wasn't, even with all those people, were Xanadu-size lag issues, so Indy makes the most sense if you are going to replace the GV system at all.  Why not simply leave the GV system like it was? Well it is nice for players to have options: they can race straight for the portals to other servers, -or- do all the initial tutorial steps and then saunter to the portals, -or- do all the tutorials then build a little house and farm in the fantastically huge perimeter area and chitchat with other noobies before deciding to go to the portals (or maybe they won't).  It is located in probably the most REMOTE and dangerous area of Indy (I used to live a bit north of there, and after delivering horses ONCE to that region, decided not to ever do that again ... so many greenish trolls :( ),. Anyway, people-who-love-people, still have a great incentive to portal jump over to Xanadu once they feel fully confident in grasping how the game works. Xanadu still has the most space and the most people, which are very attractive selling points. Meantime the smaller servers are great for very small intimate communities where you basically know everyone by name and can trot over to borrow some tin and still be home in 10 minutes. So many marvelous choices! 

New players basically graduate themselves, at their own comfort levels. Indy is just the most sensible place to do that, mostly for technical reasons and because they have historical experience in handling waves and waves of tree cutting, shack building, filter dodging lovable nooblets. Especially ones from 4chan and Something Awful. Many of whom, by the way,  ultimately grew up to become some of our most respectable citizens. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

Maybe Haven's Landing could do with a map. Probably better than cluttering the place with too many signs. Maybe something like one for the Wurm Academy (on Pristine). https://wurmacademy.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/chapter-18-a-stylish-map-of-the-academy/  Might also be an idea to add a hint somewhere in the tutorial about the names of buildings sometimes being important/helpful - like a guard tower with the map grid square in its name, or a 'safe house'...

That's a real nice idea!

It doesn't matter where you put this, it would quickly clear the area of spawns, both hostile and non-hostile, 10+ people each week killing or dragging to guards everything they see.

even before havens landing was put there, there was barely any mobs there whenever i went through. deeds being all over the place blocking spawns on indy in the past forced mobs into small concentrated areas in remote areas but that's not the case anymore, mob density is pretty uniform across indy apart from the central being devoid of hostile mobs and the far north being packed, but that's just a general spawns issue across all the servers

The lack of aggro mobs in the area is untrue. They're not IN Haven, but they are around. Just yesterday an experienced player died to a hellhound and raging troll.  You just have to actually leave the "town" that has sprung up around it, a two minute walk.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:26 PM, ChampagneDragon said:

The lack of aggro mobs in the area is untrue.

It is true of you understand that the word "lack" was not used to suggest a complete absence of aggro mobs. Just the other day I took my guy from HLanding down the hill, through your new market deed, all along the lake to that disbanded deed that is the ending of the catseye highway around Ram Ranch. Then back up the hills, through the new tunnel finally hitting once again HLanding perimeter. Yes, he met a few spiders along the way, 2 crocs, a bear and one hellhound chased him all the way to Gromits Guard Tower where he got their help since he had not bothered to change out of cloth armor the whole trip. Definitely way more than "a two minute walk" to come across this even not so significant number of mobbies.

This was all quite a distance covered and in comparison on Deliverance something other than cloth armor would have been equipped to kill many more mobs than this along the way traveled. Then if like a newer player they would have just run down to your market or the Glasshollow one to the south (?) lake they would likely come across no mobs at all since they would have had little reason to travel the long distance that my guy did on his exploratory cart ride. So I would say that my use of "lack of" is entirely appropriate within this context. Maybe better would have been to say "shortage of" then, or "just a few", or "once in a while", so as not to have left a intentionally misinterpreted outlet for those so inclined to expand upon it.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
transposed words

@Retrograde It seems some new players are confused about the digging part of the Tutorial since when it says they must dig >dirt< they won't go into the house area marked Digging to dig since it is all sand in there.

Someone just today said they couldn't complete the digging part as they were trying to dig inside the tree area or outside of it around the pavement and lawns. When I told them to go dig inside the house area marked Digging with all the sand inside they said there was no dirt in there to dig. Finally I convinced them to go dig sand in there and they were happily surprised to see that worked to complete the digging part.

Perhaps then it would be better to change the Tutorial to say "dig dirt or sand" or something along that line. I remember in the past a few others were confused by this dig dirt statement as well.

=Ayes=

Total newbie here and I, too, was confused about "dirt" digging.  Found a place in the training forest that was bare dirt and was able to dig there.  But the real disappointment was after all the time figuring out how to make a small anvil and finally doing it, exploring around town I was killed by a Hell Hound (too encumbered to outrun it), and respawned in The Howl.  Seriously doubt I'll be able to make it back to my corpse and get my stuff.  That's a pretty heavy blow for someone just starting out.

53 minutes ago, Tuxro said:

Total newbie here and I, too, was confused about "dirt" digging.  Found a place in the training forest that was bare dirt and was able to dig there.  But the real disappointment was after all the time figuring out how to make a small anvil and finally doing it, exploring around town I was killed by a Hell Hound (too encumbered to outrun it), and respawned in The Howl.  Seriously doubt I'll be able to make it back to my corpse and get my stuff.  That's a pretty heavy blow for someone just starting out.

When you die havens landing is in the drop down menu

The dirt/sand thing might need some rewording in the tutorial, since dirt would allow grass to grow on it