Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The building of Haven's Landing

Also for those curious, a new character that starts at Haven can use the portal to get to any other server's starter spawns including The Howl on Indy.

I am assuming that The Howl and Haven both count as spawnpoints after death, else some newbies may find them selves a long long way from their corpse and meager life possessions if a bear catches them ....

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 11:14 AM, Retrograde said:

It comes with a lot of special features, such as the ability for players to build houses in the perimeter

I am curious how the decay rate compares for a new player building in the perimeter of Haven's Landing (assuming they are not considered citizens; maybe they all automatically are)  to building an undeeded house in the wilderness at large.  In the past, buildings in perimeter that were not somehow 'owned' by the village, has super-accelerated decay (hence people deliberately putting perimeter over shacks they wanted to force-decay). 

Is there some special coding regarding this, either for Haven's Landing in particular, or for the update in general?

I very much like the idea of new players being a sort of "off campus student community" and the perimeter here seems ideal for this (many interesting little side paths and terraced areas). Eventually they will outgrow,, and move on to join a "real" village or make their own deed, but it is nice to think they can easily spend their first 30 days in Wurm as part of a newbie-helping-newbie community. Perimeter means they can usually all share a single local chat area and feel more connected to their peers.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Good point made about questioning perimeter decay for buildings at Haven's Landing. Also, I always like those little shanty towns that sprouted up just outside the starter Villages. It just showed that a lot of active players were about learning the game or perhaps alts just getting setup to move on later. When Pristine opened the Wurm Academy close by offered this same welcome to anyone who wished to join and build their first houses there. The little shacks everywhere sprouting up always brought a smile to see them constantly becoming more populous. This perimeter building ability should make the situation even easier as there is no need to contact anyone for players to just go ahead and build there. A good supply of low QL logs in a bulk bin provided by an established player nearby would contribute a lot to this newbie house building since nearby trees might soon all be cut down for this purpose. It may be fun to have an alt there just to log in from time to time to see what is happening.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I am curious how the decay rate compares for a new player building in the perimeter of Haven's Landing (assuming they are not considered citizens; maybe they all automatically are)  to building an undeeded house in the wilderness at large.  In the past, buildings in perimeter that were not somehow 'owned' by the village, has super-accelerated decay (hence people deliberately putting perimeter over shacks they wanted to force-decay). 

Perimeter speeds up decay of inactive player owned buildings, not active player own buildings. It's why we'd get complaints of "I put my perimeter on this building but its still here after 2 months"

15 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Is there some special coding regarding this, either for Haven's Landing in particular, or for the update in general?

Yes, it's hard coded to allow it.

• Like 1

Thanks Retro!   That's great. My memory can sometimes get shaky on some game mechanics.  

On 12/18/2018 at 1:22 AM, Retrograde said:

5) more signs at havens landing 

This is very important. Didn't run through the tutorial just explored the area. Local to me, so I know the area, but overall there is very little landmarks in the area. It took me a while to find the church which brings me to my #2.

#2 The church needs altars. I'm not sure If we're expected to populate it, or if furniture and stuff is planned.

#3 There is no road down to the water. From Haven I wouldn't even know how close the water was if I didn't come up from the lake. (If I have time, I'll do some work on this. )

There is a market here, how do we go about setting up a merchant, if that's the plan?

Edit: did find a road down, but it's a bit of a mess.

Edited by Kelody

4 hours ago, Kelody said:

This is very important. Didn't run through the tutorial just explored the area. Local to me, so I know the area, but overall there is very little landmarks in the area. It took me a while to find the church which brings me to my #2.

#2 The church needs altars. I'm not sure If we're expected to populate it, or if furniture and stuff is planned.

#3 There is no road down to the water. From Haven I wouldn't even know how close the water was if I didn't come up from the lake. (If I have time, I'll do some work on this. )

There is a market here, how do we go about setting up a merchant, if that's the plan?

Edit: did find a road down, but it's a bit of a mess.

Kelody, we plan on decorating the deed this weekend. With the holidays and the huge update, we’ve been a bit behind schedule on it. As for the roads, we connected the deed to the highway system to the northeast (including a huge update to a tunnel that connects Haven’s Landing to the highway on the other side) but we want to see how players decide to update the roads from here on. The offdeed isn’t meant to be an entirely staff-driven project. We’re still in discussion about merchants, but I think the decision will be only traders in the end, maybe with some info about where to find player-run markets (Freedom Market, Glasshollow, etc.)

• Like 1

I fixed the road down to the coast. It still needs catseyes but It's more obvious it's a road now and easier to follow.

Thank you for fixing the tunnel and connecting the highway system. It was a task I had planned, but without help was beyond my enthusiasm level. Connecting to this point should be much more reasonable. The people in southeast Indy should consider connecting too.

Edited by Kelody

14 hours ago, Joelle said:

we plan on decorating the deed this weekend

I just want to bring to your attention that in the clay-peat-tar-moss enclosures I get this message when trying to dig in any of them:

[06:58:12] Your shovel fails to penetrate the earth no matter what you try. Weird.

I suppose the settings need adjustment to allow this, or perhaps you don't want players to dig in those areas?

There is no deed mine for mining rockshards either. Beautiful designs on the buildings and the total deed layout! I see some lamps need fueling too, as inside the Samling one. A wonderful place to visit. Well done to all involved!

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

I just want to bring to your attention that in the clay-peat-tar-moss enclosures I get this message when trying to dig in any of them:

[06:58:12] Your shovel fails to penetrate the earth no matter what you try. Weird.

I suppose the settings need adjustment to allow this, or perhaps you don't want players to dig in those areas?

There is no deed mine for mining rockshards either. Beautiful designs on the buildings and the total deed layout! I see some lamps need fueling too, as inside the Samling one. A wonderful place to visit. Well done to all involved!

=Ayes=

Fixed the resource digging! 

Mining rockshards isn't possible by design, yes 

• Like 1

Was adding catseyes to the highway leading down to the water, and it turns out someone deeded it in the last 24 hours and I couldn't finish. If anyone knows the deed owner or in the Albia alliance, please have them finish.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:58 AM, Retrograde said:

Very good, can do now. Another thing now. We can not improve or repair items in forges when blacksmithing.

Edit: The settings have been adjusted so now can repair and improve items in forges and so forth on deed.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
see-^

..... because we have received so many requests for the location of Haven's Landing via PM in game from those who want to visit and check it out..

..... Here is why we can not reveal where it is... (as quoted from the Albia Roads Map of Indy forum topic)

On 4/17/2016 at 5:23 AM, skyefox said:

Adding Villages or Submitting Road Changes...

If you want anything to be added, post your request in here, with the X-Y map coordinates, and if possible a little image to show exactly where you want it to be placed. (You can use an image host such as imgur.)

Only a Mayor can make a request to have their deed put on the map and it has to made here in this forum.

So all you hermits out there, your secret location is safe!  BTW, we do NOT reveal any "off Map" places we come across during our road and geography surveys or add them to the map.

...... So per this protocol established back distant past by Darkmalice, carried on by Mamadarkness, carried on by Archaed, and now carried on by ourselves, to never reveal where any Off the Map deeds is located unless a request to be added to the map is posted in the proper forum (Skyefox does like a paper trail),  we can not reveal the location of Haven's Landing.

But that does not stop you from going and looking for it.  Indy is a fun place to explore. 

Good luck finding it and don't forget your armour.  Multiple restarts have really boosted the mob/aggro population.

Warmest regards and Merry Christmas to all,

Cheers! Hughmongus

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

Edited by HughMongus
  • Like 1

Havens landing is a start town with no actual mayor, please have it on the map, it is necessary 

• Like 3

I assume it also has an icon on the ingame map as the other starter towns?

Though I had only short time to check it out with a new toon (due to the damn goals' stress :) ), I like Havens Landing quite a lot. It was really good work, thank you.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 8:58 AM, Retrograde said:

Great! Another thing I will point out is that the iron mine is filling with 100's of iron ore. I consolidated a lot of it into piles on center tiles but soon seemingly ambitious miners may fill the whole place up. Probably 2 or more trash bins on the center tiles would resolve this problem, then at least from time to time when I enter that mine I could fill them up to free up mining tiles. Maybe some other players would then do the same.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Alternate fix to the ore piles problem would be to add a smelter or forge to the mining area. A newbie asked me what good mining was if he couldn't carry any of it. I explained about using a cart, but that's not obvious to most new players.

Kelody, someone did build a forge in the iron mine but this doesn't help much to clear out piles of 100 ore on every tile in the mine. Players will use the forge to smelt the ore that they need and that's about it. This is why trash bins can help ease this problem of not being able to mine any iron ore in there as it seems some players are just mining the iron ore to raise their mining skill since there is no rock tile mining area available (which also needs to be made somewhere on the main deed that then leads off into its perimeter).

As it stands now the best option is to just do a /support and request that a GM come and zap all these 1.00 QL iron ore piles into oblivion, which I just may have to resort to if all tiles are filled so that more iron ore can't be mined. Not really the best situation to help new players get started mining to learn and perhaps make some tools or nails for use. Yes players could just pickup what they can carry (3-5 ores), combine them and drop again into pile for more space but few new players know this option and even then it is a time consuming temporary solution at best.

=Ayes=

There are at least 3 mines in just a few minutes walk from haven, though none have signs and some may have collapsed. The closest 1 is just south of the road that runs east west along the north edge of Haven.

As for getting rid of the ore, I wasn't suggesting not adding a trash bin. I don't know how permissions work in Haven, are we allowed to build anything like that? I had thought of delivering the smelter I left in silver mountain tunnel to haven mine.

Campfires are an even better solution than a prebuilt forge as they teach new players how to start from scratch, and you can build a dozen of them to smelt down excess ores into merged lumps still easy to carry. 

They cannot make a forge without bricks, and they cannot make a cart without nails. Start with a mallet and a campfire, move on to a small anvil and a stone chisel,  file, and as many nails as you can carry. Nails are lightweight, and you also use up some of the iron in failures and imping for starter tools, like chisel file and anvil. Fill up your newbie cart with 100 nails and some starter tools and a few small barrels and be on your way to the perimeter lands. 

If you can build a trashbin, why not a BSB for firewood and iron lumps?  Holds 16,000 iron lumps and heaven knows how many wood scraps (someone probably knows). There should be local new players willing to help dissipate the stored irons lumps, as not all of them will enjoy the mining grind.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

On 12/17/2018 at 8:14 PM, Retrograde said:

Haven's Landing will be the new single spawn point for new players into the game.

Is GV closed off now total, for those that got old accounts living there to?

[18:37:31] You enter Boar Hill.
[18:37:31] You enter Freedom Isles.
[18:37:31] No other players are online taking tutorials (662 totally in Wurm).
[18:37:31] Type /help for available commands.

No, GV is up and I suppose it will be so if I understand correctly Wurm server hierarchy.

Still it would be nice to allow the toons existing on GV to roam freely now that it is a legacy planet :P

20 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

If you can build a trashbin, why not a BSB for firewood and iron lumps?

I didn't try to build a trash bin as I was suggesting that a GM should build several, so I am not sure if players can build them. Might give this a try. What I did do was build a bulk storage bin off deed and then place it in the mine next to the forge. Stocked it with some logs for fuel and picked up some of the higher QL iron ores to put inside. We shall see how long it takes to get filled with all the 1.00 junk ore by others, which is why that alone I don't see as the best solution.

Added: Created a trash bin (heap). Had to complete it in my inventory and then it dropped to the ground. We shall see if that helps a bit.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
trash bin!