Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 17/DEC/18 Gone Fishing

5 hours ago, DevBlog said:

New players will now spawn in a single location: Haven's Landing on Independence.

Wow! What a huge update! I'm looking forward to trying out all these new bits and bobs. :) One question about the above though - does this mean that new players can't choose what server they'll start on?

Just now, olafhairybreeks said:

Wow! What a huge update! I'm looking forward to trying out all these new bits and bobs. :) One question about the above though - does this mean that new players can't choose what server they'll start on?

I was wondering the same thing when I read that...would suck if that's the case :( 

1 minute ago, Shagsdevil said:

Umm no it ain't to much coffee and I don't give a ###### about sleep bonus or powders... judge someone else not me... 

they said it wasn't going on test server cause it was ready..... 3+ hrs over the update time, says completely different 

I was just trying to be amusing and get you to cool down.  Evidently that is not possible.  Chill out, nothing you say here is going tot make it go any faster, and being negative does not help anybody.  Go do something else rather than sit here and stew about it.

• Like 1

Looking at devs loged at indie almost all the time i think problem is with Heaven Landing as new starting point. And that's the thing they couldn't test on Test server sadly.

3 minutes ago, Shagsdevil said:

Umm no it ain't to much coffee and I don't give a ###### about sleep bonus or powders... judge someone else not me... 

they said it wasn't going on test server cause it was ready..... 3+ hrs over the update time, says completely different

It may also be the initial assignment of water tile types, the initial placement of rare fish types and all that other stuff. Also, when adding these changes to the database, sometimes database edits / backups / restores & such take time.  I have a database at work that takes 2 hours to backup and another 2 hours to restore. Running upgrades takes over an hour. Major updates take time.

Worth the wait for sure.  Would rather longer wait then being kicked out of server every hour for restarts.  :)

Too bad I still have like 9 hours 45 minutes of sleep bonus.  :(

This is the new norm for pretty much every game and have gotten used to it.  I can't name a complex game within the past 4 years that this isn't the case after a large update.  All AAA games with billions of dollar budgets have same issues too.

• Like 1

Just now, cybaru said:

Looking at devs loged at indie almost all the time i think problem is with Heaven Landing as new starting point. And that's the thing they couldn't test on Test server sadly.

Would be hilarious if instead of just spawning newbs at Heaven's Landing, the issue is that *everyone* was spawning there.

4 minutes ago, Shagsdevil said:

works on test server and works on 13 or so different live servers is completely different

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zethreal said:

It may also be the initial assignment of water tile types, the initial placement of rare fish types and all that other stuff. Also, when adding these changes to the database, sometimes database edits / backups / restores & such take time.  I have a database at work that takes 2 hours to backup and another 2 hours to restore. Running upgrades takes over an hour. Major updates take time.

Then maybe suggesting 2hrs down time was not the thing to do just tired of waiting 2 hrs is long gone and the issues are not fixed...just annoyed of waiting...

1 minute ago, zethreal said:

Would be hilarious if instead of just spawning newbs at Heaven's Landing, the issue is that *everyone* was spawning there.

Now that would be hilarious! I'm still confused though. Surely if all new players have to start on Indy, then that server will have a population boost at the expense of others. I know plenty of players who've played for years and have never left their home server.

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

works on test server and works on 13 or so different live servers is completely different

Did you even watch the video they shared.... said everything was good to go.... butter it up anyway you want but it was there words not mine....
Maybe a lil more testing was needed

they tested it on the test servers, then they put it on the live servers and it didn't work

coz the test servers that they test on aren't live servers

7 minutes ago, olafhairybreeks said:

Yes, there were some interviews where they stated that yes, all new players will spawn on Independence at the new tutorial/starter deed of Haven's Landing.

Keep in mind... This absolutely one of the biggest updates they have done to the game, fundamentally changes so much code. Its gonna be alot of work for them to implement it all and what not. I for one appreciate that they are not rushing it in and are taking their time on this. I do want to get in like everyone else to play but I truly do appreciate the time being taken.

• Like 1

If all new players are to be log in on Indy then should be possibility to join village on any server via command /..... (village name) 

(server name)

• Like 2

Just now, Shagsdevil said:

Did you even watch the video they shared.... said everything was good to go.... butter it up anyway you want but it was there words not mine....
Maybe a lil more testing was needed

Testing on a test environment can only prove that it appears to be ready. Testing on a live environment is entirely different. I work in web development and can't tell you how many times something has worked perfectly on a test version of our live environment, but has completely crashed the actual live environment.

The test version of our live environment is a separate server running the same software & comparable hardware and a full copy of our live site. Unfortunately live servers and test servers are different, even if they are configured exactly the same.

Can we please get some clarity around the new journal system. Will we still be able to get tomes from them? 

• Like 1

Just now, warrior said:

Can we please get some clarity around the new journal system. Will we still be able to get tomes from them? 

from what was said on the stream, no

They didn't do it on the test server period. It was on private servers wow. 

Test servers mean we could have all tried it prior.... UNLESS I fail to understand thats what a test server is for vs a private server for Moding staff.
Therefor not tested on Test Server. 

But I am sure once it is up and running, we will have 15 shutdowns / hot fixes

1 minute ago, necroe said:

Keep in mind... This absolutely one of the biggest updates they have done to the game, fundamentally changes so much code. Its gonna be alot of work for them to implement it all and what not. I for one appreciate that they are not rushing it in and are taking their time on this. I do want to get in like everyone else to play but I truly do appreciate the time being taken.

But why say it'll take 2 hrs?  I'm just tired of waiting they should of said this update is huge and could potentially take most of the day instead this is what was mentioned:
Reason: Get your best hat and tackle ready, it's time to go fishing. Shutting down for a BIG BIG update: http://bit.ly/PN17DEC18 Up to 2 hours downtime.

Is it not reasonable to say some ppl are impatient to get back in the game after 2 hrs downtime has been long gone?  Not trying to disrespect any devs or anyone I know there can be complications but I'm just tired of waiting...

3 minutes ago, carebear said:

If all new players are to be log in on Indy then should be possibility to join village on any server via command /..... (village name) 

(server name)

I love the way you think and I couldn't agree any better...would save to sail over for sure :) 

4 minutes ago, carebear said:

(server name)

Would be awesome except I'm sure there are duplicate villages across Freedom Isles.

Sign in to follow this