Sign in to follow this  
Koreal

Multi-story bugs

Hello,

I live in a multistory building that contains lots of animal pens with aggressive animals inside and the bugs are driving me insane.

First, animals several floors down can cause me to target them through the floors, even bringing up the combat window.  There's no actual combat, but it prevents me from queuing up actions.  I cannot stand at my forge and imp things comfortably without constantly walking to the other side of the roof to clear the combat.  This also prevents my stamina from regenerating properly.

Second, animals will eat meat and such from the pens several floors below theirs.  If I drop meat into the croc pens on the first floor, i'll catch the bears and wolves on the third floor eating that meat right through the floor.

Finally, on rare occasions if I have a monster tame in his pen, he will occasionally warp to a pen below or above his and fight the monster in that pen.

Please fix this!  Especially the first one, it's endlessly frustrating that I can't queue up actions in my work area because of my pets several floors down, who can't even attack me but force me to target them and can prevent me from getting things done.

Thank you.

Koreal

• Like 1

Bump.

This is still driving me bonkers!  I'd love to be able to stand at my forge and imp stuff!

It is a 2D world really, I suggest you keep the animals in another building.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, Cecci said:

It is a 2D world really, I suggest you keep the animals in another building.

I agree w/ Cecci on this. Go ahead move your animals around till you get a situation that works.

But still it should not happen like this, and this should be fixed. Would be nice if animals obeyed the same laws of nature we got to use.

Good thread. I'll be interested to see when this gets fixed.

My entire area built at extreme effort and expense was designed for this.  I was not expecting the bugs.

Whatever conditional they used to prevent combat through the floor, please add targeting to it, so no targeting occurs through the floor.  That would solve this entirely.

It is not really bugs.

But yes it is a problem that they can keep you targeted even when you are on a tile that is not directly above their fenced pens.

Not being able to imp stuff at my forge because there's an animal penned five stories below me seems pretty certainly a bug.

I don't see how you can believe it is intended behavior.

• Like 3

There should be some kind of additional flag attached to a player, for example "lvl".

Every time, player enter some story of the building, or even change a tile on the same story flag would be updated.

So, for example, you use ladder frome base floor and go to 1st floor, flag is set to 1.

You continue by using stairs to the 2nd floor, flag is updated to 2. You walk on 2nd floor, flag is updated on each tile you enter.

You jump from 2nd floor to base floor, flag is set to 0.

And now, if animal is on the ground and player "lvl" flag is 1 or greater, then animal cannot interact with player and player cannot interact with animal.

So, it would not base on height or distance, but on flag.

Edited by Wilczan

I don't belive it, I know that the world is based on 2d.

Also why the tree is actually the tile and not the image of a tree.

This has gotten worse.

Today my priest was killed by a troll i have penned above him.  The troll attacked him through the floor and killed him.

This is the first time I've ever seen actual damage from this bug, so something recent has made this worse.

Edited to add:

Now that I'm thinking about it, the priest was embarked as passenger on a cart when he got killed by the troll on the floor above him.  I'd guess the extra height of being on the cart made him close enough for the troll to kill him.   The troll was only one floor above, in a locked room.

Either way, this big pile of bugs make my awesome home very frustrating to live in.  Including the one where horses wagons and carts pop through the floor to the ground floor on the client but the server still sees them in the correct place, requiring a relog to fix.

I really appreciate anything you can do to help!

Edited by Koreal

So now with this latest patch, I cannot eat food in my house either, due to being considered in combat from creatures several floors down from me.

Still no response from devs. :(

Whatever code is in place that prevents actual damage from being dealt when the height difference is above a certain level, can't that just be extended to include targetting and entering combat?

Maybe it's not that simple, but maybe it is.  A response from a dev could clear that right up!

This is known and being worked on, but it's not a matter of a simple fix. 

I know living with creatures in your house is your goal, and we think it's cool too. We are working on this and various other multi story bugs, but in the meantime, might I advise shifting your aggressive housemates out of the building? 

• Like 2

Thank you!  Just knowing it's being worked on is very comforting.

In the meantime I will indeed shift my monster friends to a less frustrating location.  I'm glad I wont have to redesign my setup though, and that the day will come when I can use my place the way I designed it, without all the problems!

I very much appreciate the response.  Also appreciate the very quick fix to the troll-under-the-bridge issue I had as well.  I was going to express my gratitude in that thread (with a picture of my champion troll back in his pen!) but it got locked as soon as the issue was resolved.

BUMP!

So it's been a couple of years, and this problem still occurs, and trying to work at my forge while keeping my castle's monster army intact is still a frustrating experience.

Is this something that is still being worked on?

Thanks!

- Koreal

Edited by Koreal

BUMP!

It's not as bad as it used to be.  A bit more infrequent that it actually interrupts what I'm trying to do, but it definitely still happens.  Worse, it interferes with my ability to use a bed or an epic portal because the game thinks I have been in combat recently, even though I have not entered the pen of any aggressive creature, simply got triggered through the floor from the floor above.

I suspect this must be a tough one to solve.  Any help I can give please let me know!

Thanks!

- Koreal

Bump.

Bug still there.  Still interfering with beds, portals, smithing, eating, drinking, etc.

I posted this bug almost 3 years ago.  Retro said it was being worked on over two years ago.  Is this one just unsolvable and I should give up at this point?

My castle was designed for hosting monsters throughout, and I have even bigger things I'm working on that will also suffer to this bug.  I waited a long time but at this point I think I'll just have to redesign everything and go with a different approach, as I suspect this bug is not getting fixed.

On 12/16/2018 at 6:41 PM, Koreal said:

Second, animals will eat meat and such from the pens several floors below theirs.  If I drop meat into the croc pens on the first floor, i'll catch the bears and wolves on the third floor eating that meat right through the floor.

Holy crap, that's amazing! Does this mean you can use/fill only 1 pet bowl on one floor and all the creatures above/below will eat from it? That's a nice QoL I'd just accept and use lol. You can even fill pet bowls through fence (gates), so having a meat bsb nearby to feed your animals like that is hella convenient! :D

Edited by Borstaskor

No idea, I've never used pet bowls or any of the new feeding mechanics.  I've only dropped piles of meat directly onto the floor.