Sign in to follow this  
Threap

Pvp Damage bonus and Damage reduction rework

There are a few problems with Damage Reduction and Damage Bonus in Wurm pvp. One is they are multiplicative to each other. Example, deed warbonus and god warrior bonus. one is 25% and the other is 30%, But the end result is not 55% damage gain, its +25% of the base damage, then +30% of the result. So =100*1.25*1.3 = 62.5% gain. Damage reduction is also multiplicative but is effected worse because there are more things in the equation. Added to this the actual damage reduction percentages are much too high, armor being 60-70% depending on QL then SOTG then body str DR. This results in large differences in DR for what looks to be very small change to DR values. Here is an example comparing 90ql drake v 90ql scale v 50body str v 90 body str.

zOWgz0R.jpg

So Huge axe hitting Drake, Drake has 65.84% effective DR this accounts for slash weakness, Scale has 74.25%. So less than 10% DR difference with everything else the same, the actual damage is 9521 out of 65535 hp on drake 7176 out of 65535 on scale which is a 24.6% difference. Same thing occurs for body str DR, though I am not 100% on the math\numbers its based off a graph posted in the patch notes from 2016 when they added a curve. at 50 you get around 0.65 modifier at 90str you get a 0.4 modifier. So that's actually a 38% difference in damage taken with the same gear.

Suggested change.  Make damage reduction and bonus additive. In the code use an int to save the modifier and slowly add to the various things to it then do the multiplication to mod the damage at the end. All the actual values will need to be adjusted else you will end up over 100%. As an example these numbers can be tuned, lets say a dude in 100ql scale with 100 body str and sotg should take 50% DR compared to a noob who is naked. So armor should give 25% of the DR, Sotg 15%, bodystr 10%. 100QL Scale should give 25% DR, all other armors can scale down slightly from there as they do now along with being scaled down based on QL. SOTG gives 3% per level.  Bodystr scales from 0 to 10% based on str.

All damages will need to be scaled down to a reasonable level to compensate, but the end result will be a much smaller gap between highend toons with highend gear than entry level, allowing for more fun for newer players.

• Like 3

If you're scaling down damage as a result of this change, what's the point of the change in the first place?

Also, bear in mind, the upcoming priest update is going to nerf warrior god damage bonus from 25% down to 15%.

I don't think you understand what you read but it's OK, I use to have to explain to you why you can't have drake on freedom. Pls don't make us get keenan in here and sensor you like they did jake, you're becoming blurred with him imo. 

+1 threap. Strong case and lots of info to support it. 

Edited by Mclavin

@Mclovin - simple math that even Jake can understand, but aparently Threap cannot.

If my armor (lets say drake) reduces 60% of your damage, and YOUR armor (lets say scale) reduces 70% of my damage to you, and we have the same body str, same weapon same casts etc, you are dealing 33% more damage to me than I am doing to you. 

Let me know if I need to write it out with a crayon for you, or just let the register do the math for you, like they trained you to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

If you're scaling down damage as a result of this change, what's the point of the change in the first place?

Also, bear in mind, the upcoming priest update is going to nerf warrior god damage bonus from 25% down to 15%.

The point of the change as I wrote in the post is to reduce the power gap between the highest armor and characters and the lowest, therefore making pvp more fun for everyone. The math in the post is to demonstrate how large the Gap is between the best and second best armor and where most people probably preceive the Gap to be much smaller also how large the Gap is between a good 50 body str toon and a real high end toon.

No idea what the point of your posts are however, other than -1 the post because reasons and attempt to insult mclovin IRL, you make no relevant points what so ever.

14 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

-1 cause math 

My math is right, you cant read a spreadsheet? 

I like the proposed change, it does sound like newer players could participate at a much more fair level, without completely removing the advantage of being an older player. I'd prefer 25% armor with body strength mattering "more" than SOTG though, but it would come down to whether the bulk of the remaining  25% DR after armor in pvp should be achievable in 6 months (meditation), or 6 years (body str grind). I'd prefer something like 25% armor, 15% body str, 10% sotg with the SOTG divided up more as you suggested, across the different meditation levels.

DA

• Like 1