Sign in to follow this  
Malena

After the new horse colors came in, grey horses are messed up

After the whole mess that happened with the new colors turning grey etc, I'm noticing a dramatic difference in what kinds of foals are being born from my old mares.

I have a very large herd of horses on my island so it's enough to see a pattern emerging.

Before the new colors:

• If you consistently bred say a black stallion with a black mare, 8 times out of 10, you'd get a black foal.
  • Sometimes you'd get foals of a completely different random color.
  • And within that pool of random colors, sometimes you'd get a grey foal. 
  • This resulted in getting a grey foal "once in a while", perhaps one in a RL month.

After the new colors:

Almost half of the new foals are grey

• Like 2

In my last round I had 15 new foals born. Only one of them was one of the new colors (Skewbald Pinto). But also none of them were grey. So not sure how that fits into the evidence...

I wonder if these is an issue specific to my account or something. Because look what I just discovered. All my 5 rare horses with special names that Retro had spawned for me have all turned grey. :(

grey_rares.jpg

And I just finished breeding these 5 with all my mares. I wonder if I'm just going to get hundreds of grey foals next round of births.

They still looked like this, only last night:

grey_rares_before.jpg

Edited by Malena

I expect we will be seeing Retro visiting us all again to convince are now grey foals/horses of their true colours.

I've certainly seen more variability in the colour of foals with the last round of horse breeding, very few have breed true to the colour of their parents, and grandparents....

44 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

I expect we will be seeing Retro visiting us all again to convince are now grey foals/horses of their true colours.

I've certainly seen more variability in the colour of foals with the last round of horse breeding, very few have breed true to the colour of their parents, and grandparents....

Thanks for that link Wulf. So this seems to be for everyone then. 

I haven't had any grey foals (I think) since these new colours came in. Until today that is! I had one grey girl, from an ebony and a skewbald, so who knows what colour she's supposed to be. Otherwise, I've had a lot of old colours, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary I think. It's odd how it seems to be varying.

I don't think 5 out of 8 newborns being grey is variable at all. I think it's a new bug which I hope is fixed before the next round of foals from my breeding program are born

I have more grey ones than usual, for sure.  Whether that is because they were born grey or turned grey due to being a new colour and then bugged, I have no idea.

colours wouldnt have been changed for unborn foals. We're investigating but so far have zero indication it's anything other than random happenstance. 

We'll keep monitoring it into the new year and see how it turns out, but the colour deciding code works as intended and everything on test has turned out okay. 

Congratulations to everyone who has had new colour foals, and good luck to those still trying to get them. :) 

Feel free, everyone, to record your new foals' arrivals here:

(So, if anything 'untoward' should ever happen, you have a dated written and visual record which is acceptable as proof of your foals' colouring.)

(Without prejudice)

I currently have about 28 foals (none with grey parents)

8 of these foals are grey.

Ok I've been following the births closely now and it almost feels the problem has gone away? It feels it's returned to the normal amount of greys. How is it for the rest of you?