Sign in to follow this  
Jaz

Please summarize me the fishing changes (TLDW version)

I'm unable to keep my focus on a video show for hours to pick up the information bits about the fishing changes but I'm excited about them.

Would anyone mind to recap a TL;DW (too long didn't watch) version in old outdated written form? :)

• Like 2

We shouldn't have to watch a stream to get insights into what's coming down the pipe.

• Like 18

Well, i try my best, others can post if i missed something... :D

Fishing rods became ehm complicated, you can improve them with various additions for which they have slots, there are 3-4 types of fishing lines, you can add reel to rod, bait, float to fishing line(to much to type and its really complicated but i hope you get the idea), beside rod you can fish with fishing net in shallow water and spear. Fishing is mini game where you fish shows up and you have to click on it to catch it, looks cool. Water is amazing, breath taking samool is really a genius. There are baits, grubs you can get from shriveled trees, flies from using grooming brush on catlle(need to smear cattle with honey not sure). there is box for baits, also net for storingfish while fishing that you plant in shallow water or attach to boat to keep your catch alive and fress untill you're done with fishing, i think i saw fishing rods rack in crafting recepies. chickens give feathers when butchered that can be used as floaters on line... water now has catorgories ocean, pond, underground so different fish there, also there is difference to salty and non salty water now, salt can be boiled for salt but both still drinkable, not sure what else

• Like 13

ohh that is a pretty intense change, many many thanks for doing the transcript! :D Kochinac, you saved my day for sure.

Edited by Jaz

So basicly grinding fishing after the update will become a nightmare? Can I still skill up by casting a line and waiting like before or will I have to engage with a fish actively for two minutes to get a tic? 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

So basicly grinding fishing after the update will become a nightmare? Can I still skill up by casting a line and waiting like before or will I have to engage with a fish actively for two minutes to get a tic? 

Didn't quite understood that part but i think playing mini game will be optional, we would still be able to grind afk but can catch fish faster if if click on it and be more efficient i hope... But once again i might have understood wrong was hard to catch up on everything on such long stream

1 minute ago, Wulfgarr said:

And fish is still useless :D 

Unfortunatly yes, fish is still not much usefull from what i saw ?

Oh also not sure but seems that there were some mentions of clams posiblly pearls...

Will come out before Christmass together with Priest update so it will be heck of patch notes to read :D

Edited by kochinac

I hope the minigame is not mandatory or it will be as dead a skill as trebuchets on freedom

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I hope the minigame is not mandatory or it will be as dead a skill as trebuchets on freedom

You can still fish in the old manner by just casting your line into the water and waiting for a fish to strike. All fishing rods will have to be converted to the new types though by adding it to the new rod you must create. Then you still need to add other components to it such as the reel, line, etc. I am not sure either if you always need to add bait to your hook in order to catch anything. The bait takes damage each time a fish nibbles on it too and if you catch a fish maybe they eat the whole bait.

Anyway, the need (?) to always have bait on the hook will slow the whole skilling process down if you can't catch anything without it thus no skill gains? As you can tell I only have the general idea and the details are a bit of an unknown, to me anyway.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

TL;DW

New fishing system is coming.

longer TL;DW

New fishing system is coming, different bodies of water will have different types of fish,, rods will now have reels and floats and bait. Spear and net fishing will be added. 

Fishing will be more interactive, with fish being caught showing, and requiring paying attention to the float. It's not built around being spammed while afk.

Fish are as useful as they were before, the meat is still used in cooking and there are more types of fish

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Wulfgarr said:

And fish is still useless :D 

Hopefully that's not the case, I have high hopes for this personally. I expect to be able to fish up 'junk' but maybe it's interesting junk. Open a treasure chest with random rewards. Maybe even a cape?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Niki said:

Hopefully that's not the case, I have high hopes for this personally. I expect to be able to fish up 'junk' but maybe it's interesting junk. Open a treasure chest with random rewards. Maybe even a cape?

No

9Ybgz.gif

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

It's not built around being spammed while afk.

Are there methods of better skillgain, similar to how the new cooking system offered more alternatives for many things?

I'd hope so otherwise all fishing pre-update was a huge WoO, and no one else will get 100 fishing :[   (I had a villagemate get 100 fishing and it was definitely only because it could be afkd)

• Like 7

Skilling should be less boring, at least, if you choose to utilise the new system.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 10:39 PM, Retrograde said:

Fishing will be more interactive, with fish being caught showing, and requiring paying attention to the float. It's not built around being spammed while afk.

Ok so -- the new fishing system is 100% mandatory then?  The old ways (even if less efficient) will be removed?

I'll be frank here -- God rest Tich's soul -- I had dread of this more involved (knowing Tich) fishing update since the day it was announced.  I tried to watch the twitch stream and had some impression the new system was more of an add-on which I found greatly relieving - and beneficial for all if it was a pick-and-choose. 

Can we PLEASE, please, please have this involved/mini-game fishing deal be an "interesting" add-on and keep the olden-ways alongside? 

• Like 3

At this point in time the old afk method will not be possible. 

It may return in the future, Tich's project had a lot more that wasn't realised at the time of her passing, but in the coming update it will be only via the minigame. 

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

At this point in time the old afk method will not be possible. 

It may return in the future, Tich's project had a lot more that wasn't realised at the time of her passing, but in the coming update it will be only via the minigame. 

I would welcome the same approach that we had with the cooking update - grinding the skill is still possible the old-fashioned way (more or less but effectively the same). Now I'm insanely grinding fishing on a priest alt - to achieve a starter skill level at least...

• Like 2

Well... :(

Personally, if that is the case, I don't see myself fishing in the future.

I'll just.. hit a dead horse one more time for good measure even though the answer is already out -- Please leave "old fashion" as an option even if it is less efficient. 

• Like 8

I keep seeing people mention fishing afk and I'd like to point out that is a terrible idea to do.  

I was fishing semi-afk once. I saw the macro question popup. I didn't answer it right away but did answer it about 15 minutes later. I got the question right. low and behold my priest Tarq was banned the next day for Macro. So be it, I don't like talking to GM's so I just moved on. But I'd like to point out its a terrable idea to think you can fish afk. You need to be able to respond the question right away or the GM's will ban you.

btw, I'm not at all excited for this convoluted fishing system but lucky I'll just mod it out (or mod the old system back in) in WU.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 2

First thing I thought when I saw the new fishing rods in action ~1h 15min was - GLOW RUNE THE dam* float, well rip dreams, as line could cut and we can lose the float with NO option to recover it - RIP, so many customization options with glow-runes and painting these #IMO

Fish that shows up randomly to click and reel in.. does that kiinndd of slowly.. to be actually entertaining or engaging.. it's too slow to be any fun, this makes the mini-game just boring in the beta status it was presented.. *hopefully* that gets for the fish that shows up #IMO #alchemy? #cooking? #fishing #bait-buff-to-show-more-fish-?

Fishing-net seemed like afk grind option, unless I've forgotten something, I think that offered standing still and gaining skill and fish, well.. SMALL fishes.. hopefully variation which could be used in cooking(*coughs* pizzas for them timer gods *coughs* *coughs* *coughs* *coughs* ...)

I didn't watch the whole stream stopped soon after the fishing-net and the plant-able fish-storage, Emoo streams are fun, don't get me wrong, but who has the time to watch 3h stream to check new content? Please in future stick to 20-30min with the option of continuation series for new content, attention span of average person nowdays is really low, to keep things entertaining and easy to remember, etc it's highly recommended.

Other thing that bothers me is what takes damage when you fish, rod, tackle? what else, + the possible loss of float, line, hook, bait. 

Fish, is not that valuable at all, lets face it, who wants to spend extra time improving bunch of tools for irrelevant gains?

#no capes 2019?

• Like 1

The changes sounds interesting, but tbh when i heard that there will be a fishing rework i was like "yeee treasures!"

But naaaaah, its only fishes. (i know a weird complain in this case)

In other games you are also able to obtain treasure maps in bottles or other items. Also usualy the fish could be sold for money, so that it made really sense to skill that.

But here we will have soon a more complex fishing System (what I like) with no rewards (what i dont like :D). I live very close to the sea, but when i would kill the stuff thats on the way to the shore, ill have meat for the next weeks. So why spending hours over hours to get a decent fishing skill?

Edited by zeeph

I like the bait and line system to make setting up fishing more interesting. In my very personal opinion, the update shouldn't have gone beyond that: the setup. The one thing I found great about fishing here was that Wurm never tried to make it more interesting than it is. Waiting for minutes just to be told by the game to make a few clicks is just...mindnumbing. Not in the slightest bit engaging once any novelty about it has worn off. I don't want to rag too much on the minigame, I feel like I'm being needlessly harsh and preaching to the choir with it here, not being the first person to show animosity to it, I'm just gonna say I had my share of the fishing minigames in MMOs that were all - quintessentially - the same.

I'll give you that: you made the minigame visually way more interesting because you guys actually gave a damn and treated it like a real feature(which shows in the great stuff surrounding it) and not something clobbered together to have an excuse for some XP bar to be raised and give the player a cheap dopamine kick. Gotta give genuine credit for that. But beyond the neat visuals and intrinstic mechanisms surrounding it, it's treaded ground - one that I am far over with, personally. Maybe it'll bring some novelty to Wurm that'll get me hooked for a bit again (pun intended), but I don't see it last to be honest.