Sign in to follow this  
gorgian

new tutorial

I was watching the faction fight video on the sneak peek on the new tutorial.

Now the basic idea is to teach new players the game. With that said everyone has different learning styles, ext.

I was a little surprised there was no text to speech option.  Maybe something to think adding one day. 

• Like 3

As an aide to an autistic child who struggles with auditory learning, I personally think that is an amazing idea! I will absolutely discuss it with Retro tonight.

• Like 4

I agree about people having different learning styles and I think a text to speech is something that could be very helpful for some people rather than having the first impression be that the game is just frustrating. 

Also on the subject of a new tutorial, I saw one WU server that had an interesting approach to the learning curve in their starter town.  Along the walkway from the spawn point were various "stations" with a sign for what it was about and then the player had the option to try it out if they chose to, such as how to dig, chop down a tree, make a kindling, start a fire, dig a clay, make a bowl, cook a meat, etc.  I remember when I started, the tutorial did include a few such things but it got removed.  Still, it was very helpful to me.

Also on a personal note, I think things like hands-on milking a cow and things like that would be helpful.  Not so much that it's something they'd need to learn immediately but for getting across the idea of the kinds of things they can do for their first impressions of the game.  When I started, it was the little things like that that grabbed my interest.  It seems so silly now, but I was so wowed when my friend handed me a bucket and told me to try out milking a cow. Rather than just being told we can milk cows, it was the hands-on experience, the sound of milking, the resulting bucket of milk, then being able to turn it into a cheese, I was like Oh Wow, how cool is this. lol.  Yeah, silly now to be so impressed by milking a stupid cow and making cheese, but it contributed to my first impressions of Wurm and my getting hooked early on, which is (or should be, I would think), the goal of a tutorial and newbie experience in the first place.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Joelle said:

As an aide to an autistic child who struggles with auditory learning, I personally think that is an amazing idea! I will absolutely discuss it with Retro tonight.

I'm actual studying to become an aide also. This is why i thought of this text to speech. ;) 

1 hour ago, Joelle said:

Is that after his lessons?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, armyskin said:

Is that after his lessons?

Well he’s asleep right now, Australia and all that.