Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Herbal

A book on herbs, similar to the almanac.  Created using the same resources as an almanac.

Reports are created by studying a herb (which consumes it), and then, either, using a pen on paper to start a report on that herb.  Report QL is capped by botanise skill, and relies on pen, ink and paper QL.  Botanising skill is granted by this action.

One can also study a herb and "refine" an existing report; granting a botanise skill tick, and increasing the QL by a small amount related to the QL of the herb used (herb QL/100 gain?).  This is capped by botanise skill.

A herbal can be used as a tool when botanising, to specifically search for any of the herbs contained within it.  The QL of the report, increasing the chances of finding the herb in question.

• Like 12

I will watch this thread.

Something that jumps out is the need for balance. 

I think it would be more fair to foragers if the book worked for foraging as well as botanising. 

Otherwise botanists would get all these extra skill ticks, and foragers none, so there should be a book for foragers too - how about 'The Good Veggie Guide' by P. Pod. :) 

• Like 2

Going to bump this as I'll need a new hobby once my premium runs out XD

Curious what the point is? Is it just a way to boost foraging skill or a way to get the unplantable ones since you can grow herbs in pots

Going to bump this; especially with botanise now effectively being a "stub" skill.

This would at least let it compete with gardening to some degree at the cost of a bit more effort in preparation.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:42 PM, Muse said:

I will watch this thread.

Something that jumps out is the need for balance. 

I think it would be more fair to foragers if the book worked for foraging as well as botanising. 

Otherwise botanists would get all these extra skill ticks, and foragers none, so there should be a book for foragers too - how about 'The Good Veggie Guide' by P. Pod. :) 

Look out, here comes Amata, that hippy girl. 
For anyone who doesn't know, there is actually a IRL word for what we do when using botany & foraging skills to locate, prepare, and make use of flora growing in the wild. That word is wildcrafting. (both the noun for the activity, and the verb of doing it)

I would love to see a book of lore for foraging/botany similar to the almanac! I would suggest calling it The Wildcrafting Guide, or somesuch. I honestly wouldn't even care if it had no practical in-game application, but simply recorded the names and description of herbs, spices, and any wild plants not already detailed in the almanac. 

But! If the Guide to Wildcrafting does have some practical application - I would like to suggest including medicinal information to entries. As it is very common IRL for wildcrafting to be specifically in service of natural remedies and medicinals. Something like a note for entries that can be used to create healing covers, maybe the note provides if the entry is a level 1 - 5 ingredient? This would make it possible to eventually stay in-game and be able to craft strength targeted healing covers without needing to memorize one pair of ingredients for each level and only use those. 

TY for bumping - I never woulda seen this otherwise 💜🌱

• Like 3

+1 I like the idea of an herb guide and it would make a nice edition to my sad little library.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

I like the idea of more books to work on and this is definitely a good one to consider.

that's a good idea.

would bring some love back to some skills we only used when new and quickly forgotten them since...

also the books might help give a boost (read report for 30 mins buff. 1 active at a time) to farming or planter harvesting by making the action either yeild more for fields( +1-3 harvest depending of the ql of the report?) and keep the plant alive/harvest slightly better ql for the herbs? up to a certain point where skill is enough and you dont need it anymore (90 skill maybe?). making them a good help to new farmers, but not something a master would need to carry around all the time.

ps: keeping those books in a bookselves would also give the furniture some love :)

Edited by Ekib

Would this apply to just herbs, or all things found through botanizing and maybe foraging. It seems like that should be something added directly into the skill after a certain level.