Sign in to follow this  
Arium

Additions to Harvesting

I'd like to see the introduction of a new action that supplements the current harvesting action: HARVEST_TO_BACKPACK.

The action would result in the harvested goods directly being placed inside an equipped backpack.

While considering ways to make an action that would be able to accommodate both harvesting actions that do not require a tool as well as those that do, this seemed to be the best solution I could come up with. It would allow both cases to do their respective actions without the need to introduce some strange way to try and introduce a second 'active' container as the specified output.

So which benefits would this offer?

- it would be able to be used by both harvesting actions, those with and those without tools

- it would offer a QoL advantage over having the harvest end up in your inventory and having to move it into the right containers

- you would no longer have to make sure to drop everything in your inventory before starting to harvest or end up only being able to harvest a handful of tiles before your inventory overflows

- it would not confuse players by having to activate an item (container) and the active item not affecting the action with runes of enchants it might have on it

- it would somewhat put it in line with harvesting sap, which already allows us to harvest into a container, although I could imagine the ability to strap large barrels to our backs for this purpose would be kind of amazing aswell

On a last note, I would like to see it implemented in a way that would not need the step of first having to add it to the inventory, effectively allowing it to base all actions only on the backpack instead of the players inventory, which would mean we would no longer need to make sure that we have sufficient empty spaces when going out harvesting. That would be A M A Z I N G.

Thanks for reading.

If you feel like the suggestion could be improved in any way, please let me know.

• Like 5

Do you mean something like this?

picking-basket.jpg

Maybe it could just automatically go in there if you're wearing it without needing a different command?

Not sure if you meant a new item or not

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reylaark said:

Do you mean something like this?

Maybe it could just automatically go in there if you're wearing it without needing a different command?

Not sure if you meant a new item or not

The idea is pretty much that it would work like that, yes. However, I was not thinking about a new item but instead just a mechanic that would work regardless of what kind of container you have equipped on your back. Reason being primarily that I think a generic approach would work best here. People harvesting garlic or nuts would prefer satchels while people harvesting pumpkins or some fruits would prefer a bigger container.

• Like 1

+1 I like this idea - helps not having to have  a cart or wagon nearby to transfer them into 

I got to 100 Farming a while ago,  little bit of that time I could harvest while embarked but mostly not, and still couldn't sow embarked anyway so I usually did it the old fashioned way. For over 1.5k tiles, daily, for almost 5 years. At one point, harvesting with 9 satchels of garlic in my inventory. That is a lot of click and drag and fiddling with windows over the years. 

I think this is a fantastic idea

Maybe a harvest to saddlebags option if you're leading an appropriately equipped equine.

I think the basis to the idea is a good one, that being that harvested items could be set to go into a specific container but I don't like the idea of them going into an "equipped backpack" since I wear a satchel in that slot with numerous other items within it. A better solution would be that harvested items could go into *any type* of container within Inventory. Just need Devs to code this somehow, maybe by clicking the container and setting it for this purpose. More work for them of course so I doubt either way they will get around to it.

=Ayes=

I don't know about stuff mysteriously dropping from the tree into your cart, but a special back pack you could wear with a bsb type volume would be cool. Then your only limitation would be how much you could carry by weight. It is quite tedious when you are picking thousands of grapes, and I imagine its even worse with crops.

Picking from horseback/wagon though has made a huge difference and has made qol much better, so at least we have that.

+1

A Harvester's Back Pack, good for crops or trees.