Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

End of Wurm Jan 2019?

I don't think so.

The current version of Java - Java SE 9 as well as Java SE 8 - is free and available for redistribution for general purpose computing. Java SE continues to be available under the Oracle Binary Code License (BCL) free of charge

Sounds like the current Java versions will remain free.

"Java Runtime Environment (JRE) use for embedded devices or use of commercial features may require a license fee from Oracle."

This to me sounds a device using Java for it's operating system may become subject to a fee, but my first thought is that something like Wurm would not fall under that umbrella. Many pieces of hardware use java for software purposes; the easiest example I can think of might be something like an ATM or proprietary diagnostic tool, like for cars - something like an arduino build, with it's own lightweight operating system. As such I wouldn't consider wurm to fall under the embedded device classification.

This of course would be something for the CodeClub / Wurm team to investigate, but I'm not panicking about it. :)

Edited by Fearil

Reading the article, it seems to me this mainly affects the JRE as used by companies. If anything, this only applies to wurm servers they might have to pay license fees for - the clients should all be safe, since it is the user who is running the JRE there.

And even then, OpenJDK is a thing. If they aren't already using it, that is a free alternative. Too bad the client doesn't support OpenJDK any more, maybe this will help fix that... (I doubt it)

It's just a clickbait article.

Using Oracle JRE will no longer be free, but using OpenJDK - which is the exact same thing but without the Oracle support - is and will remain free. On development side of things there are no changes as well, so it's just something companies who need direct Oracle support for some reason need to worry about.

• Like 6

Many large technology companies work together on contributions to OpenJDK because they also dislike Oracle's attempt at control. There will always be a free Java available as long as Wurm exists, no worries.

• Like 2