Sign in to follow this  
Malena

We need Hot, Warm and Cold Blooded horse body shapes (lots n' lots of juicy pictures inside)

+++1

I guess we all have our own personal things in wurm we love and that move us or that we'd want expanded upon.  This post really amped me up in a good way, i've long wanted draft horses, and that did get triggered into more thought after the factional fight stream discussion about traits and having different horses with different merits.  Not only does the husbandry system need a rework in that the more skill you gain above 50 to get the prized 5speeds, there are increasing chances of not getting the wanted 5speed traits along with some others.  something went wrong there.  Moreover, a rework of the traits is more inline with how cooking changed from all grinding HFC into just making meals ie like the just 5speed trait matter into something more elaborate and  versatile.  

I really really like the idea of having a speed horse with a graphically more svelte elongated leg trimmer appearance mean while a draft horse having a thick muscular oversized appearance.  Beyond just appearances as you've suggested here, which i may add really excited me, there should be trade offs to having one over the other ie as wiolo mentioned, draft horse types (coldblooded)would be much stronger, carry more weight , ideal for pulling carts and wagons, harder to kill in combat,  but compromise on speed, agility, terrain adaptation.  The hot blooded would be faster, and more agile, handling slopes better and terrain changes yet be very sensative/affected by weight carrying capacity perhaps they are easier to kill in combat over the coldblood draft/war horse type.

I so down for some of these pack mule porkers..hmm that reminds me of someone, but yah give me that butterball horse with the cropped tail, oak trunk neck, and anvil hooves for when i'm feeling grrrr or the more delicate hot blooded when feeling sasssy and prancy toe my pretty pony sparkly dust in the wind moments.

You are a superstar!, Malena

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 4

Yes yes! combat too, because hot blooded's are generally faster in many situations they would also be weaker, and more hindered by bardings.

While cold blooded's would have less of a speed penalty in bardings and on top of that would have higher DR (Because of their large body strength? or an increased natural armour that stacks with bardings, like a 25% resistance) Imagine a huge steed in a steel barding tanking damage. That would be cool. Maybe have them affected by wound movement penalty less.

On top of that, hot blooded's should deal less damage in combat too, while cold blooded would hit as hard/harder than a unicorn. Hitting very hard to extremely hard.
In PvP the hot blooded horses are the escape masters, while cold blooded are the one's you stay in combat with.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 2

A wonderful piece of work Malena. Your ideas fill me with lots of possibilities for the future development of Animal Husbandry and other related skills. I hope the coding team see those possibilities as well!

The wonderful cooking update created vast numbers of possible meals that gave affinities to people. If taken on, your ideas offer opportunities for the developers to create an increased number of traits for horses that could be used to give further incentive for players to raise their AH skills. For each extra trait there will be many more possible combinations in each animal. Players would need draught horses such as pulling carts or simply carrying heavier loads. There is of course an existing market in speed-horses. There could even be a market in multi-task creatures that are decent at both carrying and speeding.

Putting into effect even some of these ideas would surely lead to a pick up in the market of horses, would add an additional level of realism into Wurm and it would increase player choice, challenge  and opportunity- it is definitely these last benefits that maintain my love of Wurm after all these years.

+1

• Like 1

I know we capped player God ascension, but but  it's safe to say Malena has ascended to our new Demi Goddess!

oh there is something that was just about to roll off my tongue out me mouth as a witty but saucy response nicedreams,  but didn't want to have this post poof.

who'd not want a nice donkey.  

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

I know we capped player God ascension, but but  it's safe to say Malena has ascended to our new Demi Goddess!

At the very least she would be a good hire for CodeClub. I'm sure Saroman wouldn't mind extra help.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Niki said:

At the very least she would be a good hire for CodeClub. I'm sure Saroman wouldn't mind extra help.

i've silently held that though for quite some time as her work ql is high and she gets it done..she fits with the dynamo speedy tasmanian devil devs of today.  Give her Coin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

I love that.

Once again Malena gets our minds moving and all of us excited.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 1

Awesome ideas in this topic! I don't mind if we will ride on ebony black balls if that is the price for Budda to support the case :P

• Like 1

So much yesss for this post, Malena! When it was suggested before I was sure the idea of different body types would be shot down because of all the extra meshes in additions to the color maps. But you were very methodical and presented a way that both could be accomplished practically! I do hope this gets serious attention from the Devs!

• Like 2

Surprised myself by instinctively being anti-this, but that's just me and my horse loving quirks (for instance I'd far rather ride uneven terrain on a Clydesdale than an Arabian).

But if I can pretend I finally own an Akhal-teke, a Thoroughbred, and a Clydesdale, and none of them have to be jet black, and everyone else is excited, then what the hell.

And yes, AH needs a serious overhaul. It should not take me longer than my lower AH alt to breed a 5 speed horse starting with wild stcok.

My only remaining concern is what becomes of bison, especially my painfully bred 5 speeds, with Coldbloods in the game?

Awesome work on the models, Malena, especially the heavy horse, and on the idea.

+1

@Malena Highland ponies. Just saying.

• Like 3

Love all the ideas here! It would make breeding considerably more complicated, but as a breeder I say why not?? Add more challenge, make breeding what you want require more forethought. One thing I've been really happy to see with the new colours is that I've got the challenge of building up good breeding stock again. It took me ages to be able to build a breeding population of the colours and traits I want, and doing that all again is great. ^-^

Also, +1 to floofy feets and lil ponehs!

Edited by olafhairybreeks
FLOOF
  • Like 3

Actually, we may be able to do the fluffy fetlocks (think that's the right bit of horse) as optional sub-meshes.  That's how we do things like saddles, etc.  From memory, I think the code will handle there not being the right sub-mesh automagically, so there may be some saving in effort only adding it where needed, but I have no idea how much work is needed on the graphics side - Saroman always makes it look easy, so I assume basically none ?

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Muse said:

I can see we are all going to need to purchase more deeds to keep all these extra horses! :D

You mean I should stop asking my friends to "look after the two horses I forgot on your deed"?  :P   

+1 to all the suggestions in this thread, even though I +1 it before.

• Like 2

Oh you guys!

*kicks the ground bashfully*

I have to say that I'm thrilled to see people being so excited and enthusiastic about this! Thank you so much guys for all taking part in this conversation and expressing your thoughts and ideas!

And just to clarify, my suggestion of special game mechanics for horses is certainly not original. In addition to the many times I've personally seen this suggested by other players in various places over the years, we even saw that the devs were discussing this as well back in the day (thanks again for that link Brash_Endevours!). Just goes to show how the interest in this simply refuses to go away!

What is novel about my post however, is the idea of taking our existing horse model and finding additional ways to use it so we'd get even more variation. An implementation that would not burden the team too badly. The reason I keep emphasizing practicality in this thread is simply because the entire dev team only has one artist. One artist. For a whole MMO guys. One. Pretty crazy huh? So I wanted to really aim for a solution that would be as light as possible (work load-wise) and without getting into too much extra fuss. I'm sure that the list of work Saroman has, is overly long as is. How the guy has time to eat or sleep, I do not know.

Anyhow, as I was looking through the images I realize that it might not very easy to see the differences between the body shapes, so I made this animated gif of the three types. Hope it helps!

HorseShapeAnimation.gif

Now to respond to some comments. 

17 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

I guess we all have our own personal things in wurm we love and that move us or that we'd want expanded upon.  This post really amped me up in a good way, i've long wanted draft horses, and that did get triggered into more thought after the factional fight stream discussion about traits and having different horses with different merits.  Not only does the husbandry system need a rework in that the more skill you gain above 50 to get the prized 5speeds, there are increasing chances of not getting the wanted 5speed traits along with some others.  something went wrong there.  Moreover, a rework of the traits is more inline with how cooking changed from all grinding HFC into just making meals ie like the just 5speed trait matter into something more elaborate and  versatile.  

Aw nice to hear you feeling inspired Blooodscythe! I agree that the animal husbandry system is long overdue some sweet tender lovin'. Especially considering the fact that out of all of the things we spend time on in Wurm, animals are one of the biggest parts of it! I also agree that there is something very strange about the progression of the skill with the negative traits becoming a burden. It's why I stopped my animal husbandry skill gain and don't train it up! 

13 hours ago, Spolmit said:

Putting into effect even some of these ideas would surely lead to a pick up in the market of horses, would add an additional level of realism into Wurm and it would increase player choice, challenge  and opportunity- it is definitely these last benefits that maintain my love of Wurm after all these years.

Indeed!

11 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

7 hours ago, Niki said:

6 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

i've silently held that though for quite some time as her work ql is high and she gets it done..she fits with the dynamo speedy tasmanian devil devs of today.  Give her Coin.

Aw thank you guys, that's very sweet of you to say. Well just so you know, I have in fact applied to the wurm team 3 times already over the years but understandably, a game this size just has to be super careful about headcount and budget, so I understand why it hasn't worked out. Even we were very stingy about adding new people back at the big game studios I was working at even though they were on a totally different planet budget-wise. Maybe some day though, you never know!

6 hours ago, Araninke said:

So much yesss for this post, Malena! When it was suggested before I was sure the idea of different body types would be shot down because of all the extra meshes in additions to the color maps. But you were very methodical and presented a way that both could be accomplished practically! I do hope this gets serious attention from the Devs!

Araninke EXACTLY YES YES! This is precisely why I've been also trying to calm people down when they've asking for something even fancier, because the whole point for me to was to find a really quick, really easy way for us to have our cake and eat it. Knowing exactly that point, that it's easy to shoot down if it would take too much time from the devs who should be working on other things. 

5 hours ago, Grumpled said:

Surprised myself by instinctively being anti-this, but that's just me and my horse loving quirks (for instance I'd far rather ride uneven terrain on a Clydesdale than an Arabian).

Oh but actually Grumpled, you raise a VERY good point. Thank you for speaking up actually. I'm actually a similar type of person and enjoy it when a game gives me options to do my own thing, even if it goes against the grain, so I totally get it. It's true, maybe not everyone WANTS to ride a svelte hotbred horse to get from place to place.

So maybe ALL traits are possible for ANY horse body shape, but you just have a higher chance of getting strength and stamina for heavy set horses, whilst speed and agility is more likely to fall on hot blooded types. This would give an additional challenge and long term goal to finally breed that draft horse that runs fast. 

5 hours ago, Pandalet said:

Actually, we may be able to do the fluffy fetlocks (think that's the right bit of horse) as optional sub-meshes.  That's how we do things like saddles, etc.  From memory, I think the code will handle there not being the right sub-mesh automagically, so there may be some saving in effort only adding it where needed, but I have no idea how much work is needed on the graphics side - Saroman always makes it look easy, so I assume basically none ?

If they look like they're merging into the feet seamlessly, sure why not. I'm just skeptical as to whether they would though or whether they'd look "pasted on", ya know?

Edited by Malena
  • Like 5

Malena I love this!!! Huge +1!!!

This is the one thing I've wanted pretty much from the start and I'm so happy to see you come up with a solution that would allow for a player to still get their favorite color in whichever breed they are most interested in. ? I just love the idea of using draft horses for my cart, Arabians for long distance, speedy travel, and a warm blooded breed for hunting. Such a fun new aspect of the game to think about! 

• Like 3

This looks nice, altough I think only woman can spot any difference between the colors of hot/warm/cold. I cannot.

Great job again Malena :)

Can't wait to breed a jet black arab :)))

I don't know if it's within the possibilities, but one of the most distinct characteristics of the arab horse is that the tail is carried much higher than other horses (they have a shorter back).

So, it would be awesome if that could be implemented as well.

Ibm0HRY2.jpg

8TbrebYS.png

For the warmblood (especially if it's going to be a warhorse), a very nice example is the Lipizzaner, originally bred and trained as warhorse.

Their special (trained) moves could mean the difference between live and dead on the battlefield.

JOE9w552.jpg

My favorite cold blooded would be the Shire (also the biggest horse breed in the world).

uD7Y11M3.jpeg

• Like 2

i just wanted to say thank you for all the time, energy and hard work that you have put into the horse aspects.  I watched one of your videos about the new horse colors on youtube before i ever started playing wurm and that is one thing that really made me want to play.  and with this newest update I love it,  the hot, warm and cold blooded horses are a valuable addition to the game for me anyway and im sure many others.   Thank you

• Like 3